Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

This story demonstrates why the Shaw's in West Lebanon had to close. It's an older store that had few customers and judging from the exterior signage looks like it never got an update. The newer store doesn't seem all that prosperous, either...
http://www.wcax.com/story/22963999/shaws-closing-west-lebanon-store

Zayre88

Seabrook looked doomed too.  The same thing that happened in Bangor and Portsmouth (Lafayette Road).

Older stores that don't receive any upgrades, and then Shaw's decides to close them (or cancels plans for a newer store).

retailisking

The inevitable progress report showcasing a store where they've gone "all out" to recapture lost market share.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/08/19/shaw-and-star-market-remodel-supermarkets-bid-win-back-shoppers/Cmr5kIrsoRm7tyONGAuGvJ/story.html

retailisking

I'm hearing that some Maine stores may be closing, specifically Biddeford, Sanford and Scarborough. The former is no surprise at all as it's been struggling for years and is in a lousy location, while the latter is a bit of a surprise as it seems to do pretty good business. As always, take rumors of this sort with lots of sodium chloride.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on September 14, 2013, 03:33:52 PM
I'm hearing that some Maine stores may be closing, specifically Biddeford, Sanford and Scarborough. The former is no surprise at all as it's been struggling for years and is in a lousy location, while the latter is a bit of a surprise as it seems to do pretty good business. As always, take rumors of this sort with lots of sodium chloride.

They all are located somewhat close to the Biddeford Market Basket.  MB will certainly draw customers from these areas.

retailisking

Saco is closer to Biddeford than Sanford or Scarborough, but Saco is in a densely populated neighborhood.

retailisking

Part of 26 Albertsons-owned supermarkets closing across the country
http://medford.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/medford-shaws-closing

ynkeesfn82

American Retail Properties is the new real estate company for a lot of the former Shaw's. Here are the 3 from my state of Connecticut.

New Britain, CT is 65,658 Square Feet, 214 parking spaces, and a little over 7 acres. The store is 100% vacant and Shaw's still has 2 years and just under 3 months left on their lease.

Orange, CT is 65,366 Square feet. 15,400 Square Feet is leased to Guitar Center. Shaw's still has a lease until 2023.

Manchester, CT is divided into 3 spaces. There is a 22,767 Square Foot (including mezzanine space) Save-a-Lot in between 2 vacant spaces. One Space is 17,396 Square Feet and the other is 28,906 (including mezzanine space). Shaw's still has a lease until 2024.

http://americanrp.com/listings.html

ynkeesfn82

As you already know the old Shaw's in Waterbury, CT was divided into a 17,507 Square Foot Save-a-Lot, and 38,371 Square Foot Vacant Space. Unlike in Manchester the Save-a-Lot is on the right side of the building and all the vacant space is to the left of the store. This Spring the remaining vacant space becomes TJ MAXX and PETCO moving over Shoprite Plaza on Wolcott Street.

http://www.ggp.com/content/corporate/data/siteleaseplans/BRASS%20MILL%20CENTER-3692-SP1.pdf

scottw73

Quote from: Marc B on February 03, 2014, 10:35:42 AM
As you already know the old Shaw's in Waterbury, CT was divided into a 17,507 Square Foot Save-a-Lot, and 38,371 Square Foot Vacant Space. Unlike in Manchester the Save-a-Lot is on the right side of the building and all the vacant space is to the left of the store. This Spring the remaining vacant space becomes TJ MAXX and PETCO moving over Shoprite Plaza on Wolcott Street.

http://www.ggp.com/content/corporate/data/siteleaseplans/BRASS%20MILL%20CENTER-3692-SP1.pdf

If I'm not mistaken, the Wolcott street petco location was Chuck E Cheese, then Herman's World of Sporting Goods

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on February 03, 2014, 10:28:23 AM
Manchester, CT is divided into 3 spaces. There is a 22,767 Square Foot (including mezzanine space) Save-a-Lot in between 2 vacant spaces. One Space is 17,396 Square Feet and the other is 28,906 (including mezzanine space). Shaw's still has a lease until 2024.

http://americanrp.com/listings.html

Has there been anything else in there (the 2 now vacant spots) since Shaw's left?

Otherwise, seems kind of odd - wouldn't it make more sense to use one of the side spaces first, so that the rest of the vacant spot would be adjoining, allowing for either two stores to use it or for it to be recombined for one larger storefont?

Joeg

I thought the Shaws in New Britian was to become a school???

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on February 03, 2014, 03:23:33 PM
I thought the Shaws in New Britian was to become a school???

It fell through. They decided to go to Rocky Hill instead.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on February 03, 2014, 03:17:35 PM
Has there been anything else in there (the 2 now vacant spots) since Shaw's left?

Otherwise, seems kind of odd - wouldn't it make more sense to use one of the side spaces first, so that the rest of the vacant spot would be adjoining, allowing for either two stores to use it or for it to be recombined for one larger storefont?

Nope. There wasn't anything else in that space. Even a former co-worker who used to live in Manchester (who now lives in Naugatuck) said she didn't understand why they put Save-a-Lot in the middle.

Joeg

So do you think Shoprite will go into that space, now that Berlin A&P is now occupied??

Ames Newington

Quote from: Joeg on February 03, 2014, 03:55:30 PM
So do you think Shoprite will go into that space, now that Berlin A&P is now occupied??

I still wish a ShopRite would open in Berlin, despite the fact the A&P space was taken. Isn't ShopRite in Southington too close to the New Britain Shaw's? I knew Shaw's had both NB and Southington open for a time, but it seems SR spreads out their locations a bit more.

Joeg

I think they are far enough apart.  I don't think it will be a Price Chopper of a Big Y.

BillyGr

Quote from: Ames Newington on February 03, 2014, 04:02:18 PM
Quote from: Joeg on February 03, 2014, 03:55:30 PM

I still wish a ShopRite would open in Berlin, despite the fact the A&P space was taken. Isn't ShopRite in Southington too close to the New Britain Shaw's? I knew Shaw's had both NB and Southington open for a time, but it seems SR spreads out their locations a bit more.

Not sure how far apart those two locations are, but two of the brand new built stores thewy just put in the Albany (NY) area, one within the city limits, the other in Colonie, both on the same street (Central Ave) are, by the directions on their website, 4.4 miles apart.

Joeg

I think they are about 7-10 miles apart.  It would be nice to see them back in New Britian.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on September 14, 2013, 03:33:52 PM

I wonder if the Shaw's in Waterboro is rumored to close. It was built about 1993. I went in there twice to get food when I was at my parent's summer cottage. (Parent's sold the cottage in 1995.).

retailisking

Shaw's and Star Market have a new president. Jim Rice (not the Red Sox Hall of Famer) assumes the role, while outgoing president Shane Sampson takes over Jewel-Osco. One interesting thing in this article is the plan to move Star upmarket.
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2014/03/07/new-president-at-shaws.html

MikeRa

i just checked on the Shaw's website, and these are all the Shaw's/Shaw's Osco in Vermont:

• Berlin Shaw’s Osco: 160 Paine Turnpike North
  • Bristol Shaw’s: 7 Prince Lane
  • Colchester Shaw’s Osco: 66 Mountain View
  • Derby Shaw’s: 4340 US Route 5
  • Fair Haven Shaw’s: 195 Old Route 22a
  • Ludlow Shaw’s: 213 Main Street (Premium Fresh & Healthy interior décor)
  • Manchester Shaw’s: 64 Equinox Terrace
  • Middlebury Shaw’s: 8 Washington Street
  • Montpelier Shaw’s: 2 Main Street
  • Poultney Shaw’s: 55 Deposit Street
  • Randolph Shaw’s: 127 VT Highway 12 South
  • South Burlington Shaw’s Osco: 570 Shelburne Road
  • Springfield Shaw’s: 2 Chester Road
  • Stowe Shaw’s: 751 Maple Street
  • Vergennes Shaw’s: 115c Monkton Road
  • Waitsfield Shaw’s: 27 Mad River Canoe Road
  • Waterbury Shaw’s Osco: 820 Waterbury Stowe Road
  • Williston Shaw’s Osco: 71 Boxwood Street
  • Wilmington Shaw’s: 97 Main Street
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

FitchMike26

Marc B, can you change the name of this thread to Shaw's and Star Market?

I think Osco is paired with Jewel.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: FitchMike26 on August 16, 2014, 04:14:17 PM
Marc B, can you change the name of this thread to Shaw's and Star Market?

I think Osco is paired with Jewel.

Done. You're right, but when Shaw's was still in Connecticut they had changed the name of their pharmacies to Osco.

FitchMike26

Good to know. You really are the brains around here!

ynkeesfn82

Shaw's has been out of Connecticut almost 5 years now, but I noticed one of my customers at Hobby Lobby yesterday still had an orange Shaw's Reward Card in her wallet.

Joeg

Marc, I thought you were still at Wal-Mart??

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Joeg on December 07, 2014, 03:32:11 PM
Marc, I thought you were still at Wal-Mart??

That was a job for the Christmas season last year. December 27th, 2013 was my last day at The Big W store.

FitchMike26

Quote from: Marc B on December 07, 2014, 03:07:17 PM
Shaw's has been out of Connecticut almost 5 years now, but I noticed one of my customers at Hobby Lobby yesterday still had an orange Shaw's Reward Card in her wallet.

There's always the chance that she was just passing through the area. I have Giant-Carlisle, Giant-Landover, Stop & Shop, Weis, Wegmans, Sheetz, Turkey Hill, and Bottom Dollar cards in my wallet.