Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

Quote from: Bdubs on January 24, 2013, 06:55:09 PM
Just drove by the Manchester store last week.  The whole plaza is a mess, it's like a run down ghost town on that corner.  It was middle of the day Saturday, and there were 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot.

Also, the Glastonbury store had closed a few years before Shaw's announced they were selling off all of their stores in CT.  The place was a dump, and was never updated.  It was weird, there was never any word of the store closing, however the lack of attention it got for so long was so obvious.  Then one day they announced the closure, and it was only a month later they shut it down. 

I live walking distance from the Manchester store. The thing about Manchester, alot of the older stores and plaza's are pretty much run down. Actually, alot of things in manchester are run down. Everything seems old and dirty.

Alot fo these older plazaz in the area built in the 60's and 70's that are vacant will stay vacant until they take the Bradlees and Kmart fate (being bulldozed).

AmesNewington

The former Newington and Vernon/Rockville Shaw's are being wasted by having Stop and Shop in them. First of all, it's tacky to see S&S in an untouched Shaw's designed store. Plus, both towns (Newington moreso maybe than Vernon) can't support two S&S stores. They can support a new competitor like Shoprite, Big Y or a local chain, but not S&S. The Newington store is always dead, especially during the week. Not to mention, the rest of the plaza in Newington is getting rundown, not having had a facelift since 1996, excluding Bob's, which is newer. Michael's is the only original tenant left of the four stores that opened in the plaza in '96, and they still have their same exterior signage up. It is showing it's age too.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 24, 2013, 09:33:39 PM
The former Newington and Vernon/Rockville Shaw's are being wasted by having Stop and Shop in them. First of all, it's tacky to see S&S in an untouched Shaw's designed store. Plus, both towns (Newington moreso maybe than Vernon) can't support two S&S stores. They can support a new competitor like Shoprite, Big Y or a local chain, but not S&S. The Newington store is always dead, especially during the week. Not to mention, the rest of the plaza in Newington is getting rundown, not having had a facelift since 1996, excluding Bob's, which is newer. Michael's is the only original tenant left of the four stores that opened in the plaza in '96, and they still have their same exterior signage up. It is showing it's age too.

Really? Stop & Shop never even painted the interior or moved things around yet? They should've took the time to do it right. The Wallingford Shaw's was closed for 3 months before The Drust Family reopened it as Shoprite. From the outside yes it looks like Shaw's, while on the inside, The Drust's did stuff to make it their own store.

As for Stop & Shop, it seems like in a lot of cases where they have multiple stores in a city one is always an under performer i.e. Pine Street in Bristol (Forestville) and Wolcott Street in Waterbury. (I don't know how Chase Avenue Waterbury does vs. Reidville Drive in Waterbury). As for Pine Street Bristol - there is nothing else in that area of Bristol. If S&S wasn't there people who live in that area would have to jump on 72 and go to Big Y in Plainville or Shoprite in Southington.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on January 25, 2013, 06:15:22 AM

Really? Stop & Shop never even painted the interior or moved things around yet? They should've took the time to do it right. The Wallingford Shaw's was closed for 3 months before The Drust Family reopened it as Shoprite. From the outside yes it looks like Shaw's, while on the inside, The Drust's did stuff to make it their own store.

As for Stop & Shop, it seems like in a lot of cases where they have multiple stores in a city one is always an under performer i.e. Pine Street in Bristol (Forestville) and Wolcott Street in Waterbury. (I don't know how Chase Avenue Waterbury does vs. Reidville Drive in Waterbury). As for Pine Street Bristol - there is nothing else in that area of Bristol. If S&S wasn't there people who live in that area would have to jump on 72 and go to Big Y in Plainville or Shoprite in Southington.

They painted the walls a gold color (S&S color) but overall most of the store is still Shaws to me. The floors are still the same green yellow silver and white tile design that most Shaws had. The entrance and exit doors are still the same, the basic appearance of the service depts remain (ex. seafood still has the blue tiles on the wall and meat has the red tiles). They are still using mostly ALL of Shaws cases including those for produce (the wood displays as well). There is still a produce case sitting in front of the dept that has been LOUD since Shaws was still open and to this day is still loud. The only thing S&S did last summer was rearrange the grocery aisles completely. The first 5 aisles still have the natural foods wood flooring. Health and Beauty is still the same though. It's neat and organized, but odd looking and tired looking. Shaws needed a remodel and unfortuneatly S&S never made it over completely. It needs a BIG overhaul. The last large scale remodel was back in 2001 and that was just in certain areas. So overall it's disappointing, except if you were a fan of Shaws layout and appearance and want to pretend you are still in one.

retailisking

We all know that Shaw's has been plagued by uncompetitive prices and shrinking market share (which precipitated their pullout from Connecticut) but this Boston Globe article shows how deep their problems are

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2013/01/24/shoppers-steer-away-from-shaw/6NfW1aF87zoR99qn87uDsL/story.html

Bdubs

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 25, 2013, 08:33:56 AM
Quote from: Marc B on January 25, 2013, 06:15:22 AM

They painted the walls a gold color (S&S color) but overall most of the store is still Shaws to me. The floors are still the same green yellow silver and white tile design that most Shaws had. The entrance and exit doors are still the same, the basic appearance of the service depts remain (ex. seafood still has the blue tiles on the wall and meat has the red tiles). They are still using mostly ALL of Shaws cases including those for produce (the wood displays as well). There is still a produce case sitting in front of the dept that has been LOUD since Shaws was still open and to this day is still loud. The only thing S&S did last summer was rearrange the grocery aisles completely. The first 5 aisles still have the natural foods wood flooring. Health and Beauty is still the same though. It's neat and organized, but odd looking and tired looking. Shaws needed a remodel and unfortuneatly S&S never made it over completely. It needs a BIG overhaul. The last large scale remodel was back in 2001 and that was just in certain areas. So overall it's disappointing, except if you were a fan of Shaws layout and appearance and want to pretend you are still in one.

East Hampton is the same way.  Albeit, it is a much newer store, and was probably one of the few stores Shaw's kept up with maintaining.  However, they converted that whole store into a Stop & Shop in 2 weeks so there was little time for a large scale Stop & Shop format remodel.  I couldn't stand shopping in Shaw's, but I absolutely loved the design and floor plan of that store.
Colchester Stop & Shop sat looking like an Edwards/Finast setup for almost 10 years before they finally revamped the whole place.  They did the same thing, use all of the former tenants display styles and endcaps, operated it mostly like an Edwards but with Stop & Shop logos.

RoleModel

Judging by what Stop & Shop did with an ex-Waldbaums in my neck of the woods, it will get a remodel in a couple of years providing that the store isn't a disappointment saleswise. The Waldbaums was switched over to a Stop & Shop quickly in 1/08 with a lesser version of the mid-2000's decor, then remodeled in October '08 to yellow and purple. It stayed like that for about three and a half years, and then they remodeled it again with a more deluxe version of the yellow and purple, moving the departments around so that it was more Stop & Shop-esque.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on January 25, 2013, 10:38:52 AM
We all know that Shaw's has been plagued by uncompetitive prices and shrinking market share (which precipitated their pullout from Connecticut) but this Boston Globe article shows how deep their problems are

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2013/01/24/shoppers-steer-away-from-shaw/6NfW1aF87zoR99qn87uDsL/story.html

Very good article....  Shaw's is struggling and it shows...

BillyGr

Quote from: RoleModel on January 26, 2013, 10:54:35 AM

Judging by what Stop & Shop did with an ex-Waldbaums in my neck of the woods, it will get a remodel in a couple of years providing that the store isn't a disappointment saleswise. The Waldbaums was switched over to a Stop & Shop quickly in 1/08 with a lesser version of the mid-2000's decor, then remodeled in October '08 to yellow and purple. It stayed like that for about three and a half years, and then they remodeled it again with a more deluxe version of the yellow and purple, moving the departments around so that it was more Stop & Shop-esque.

Actually, when you think about it, this makes sense. 
Why spend lots of money overhauling a store just after taking it over, when it may turn out to be a bad location for one reason or another?  Run it for a year or two to see how it does, then if it's doing good, spend the money to change it to your format/design etc.
Probably the only reason to do it immediately would be if the former owner did absolutely nothing, and there were things in need of immediate attention (broken equipment, floors missing tiles or so dirty they couldn't be gotten clean, shelves ready to collapse, or something similar).

AmesNewington

Quote from: BillyGr on January 26, 2013, 04:32:00 PM
Quote from: RoleModel on January 26, 2013, 10:54:35 AM

Actually, when you think about it, this makes sense. 
Why spend lots of money overhauling a store just after taking it over, when it may turn out to be a bad location for one reason or another?  Run it for a year or two to see how it does, then if it's doing good, spend the money to change it to your format/design etc.
Probably the only reason to do it immediately would be if the former owner did absolutely nothing, and there were things in need of immediate attention (broken equipment, floors missing tiles or so dirty they couldn't be gotten clean, shelves ready to collapse, or something similar).

Well this coming April will be 3 years since the former five former Shaws in CT were bought by S&S (Newington, Vernon, East Hampton, New Fairfield and Darien). I can't see how Newington survives but I guess they can support the location if they have stayed open this long. I was hoping that they would not make it and allow another competitor to come in to town, not that same location. I don't think a grocery store belongs there any longer.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 26, 2013, 04:45:37 PM
Well this coming April will be 3 years since the former five former Shaws in CT were bought by S&S (Newington, Vernon, East Hampton, New Fairfield and Darien). I can't see how Newington survives but I guess they can support the location if they have stayed open this long. I was hoping that they would not make it and allow another competitor to come in to town, not that same location. I don't think a grocery store belongs there any longer.

They're probably just waiting out Shaw's lease. It probably expires in 2015 or 2016. They probably wouldn't close before then.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on January 26, 2013, 05:00:53 PM

They're probably just waiting out Shaw's lease. It probably expires in 2015 or 2016. They probably wouldn't close before then.

Oh is that how it works? I'm not sure when the lease is up. I'm not sure if in fact S&S's lease on the former A&P in Berlin ran out last October when it was supposed to. I'm hoping that a ShopRite will open there and I'm hoping the plaza owners in Northwood Plaza in Newington can find a buyer for the plaza and open an IGA or any other grocery store in there (anything at this point except S&S) and hopefully the Shaws/S&S on Kitts Lane will give in and close. I wish Christmas Tree Shop would still consider Newington. They can open an express store in there.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 26, 2013, 05:11:49 PM
Quote from: Marc B on January 26, 2013, 05:00:53 PM

Oh is that how it works? I'm not sure when the lease is up. I'm not sure if in fact S&S's lease on the former A&P in Berlin ran out last October when it was supposed to. I'm hoping that a ShopRite will open there and I'm hoping the plaza owners in Northwood Plaza in Newington can find a buyer for the plaza and open an IGA or any other grocery store in there (anything at this point except S&S) and hopefully the Shaws/S&S on Kitts Lane will give in and close. I wish Christmas Tree Shop would still consider Newington. They can open an express store in there.

There is no more room for a big box store to open on the pike (newington section). Space has become very limited over the years. I think the biggest a store now a days on the pike might be 30,000 sf (example take down the grant more motel). I do want stop and shop to leave the old Shaw's on the pike, it has no reason to be there, they probably did it so shop rite wouldn't move in. We have way to many super markets in the pike including the future expansion of Walmart. The S&S/former Shaw's would be a nice fit for the Christmas Tree shop.

ynkeesfn82

The former Shaw's on West Main Street in New Britain, Connecticut is becoming a school.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2013/03/17/news/doc514521830448e939659589.txt

Really brilliant on the part of the city considering the city has a severe lack of retain and commercial space and the Shaw's building is the 2nd largest retail vacancy in the city after the former Walmart.

retailisking

Lots of rumors swirling around Shaw's. One has tons of shelf tags coming to Shaw's locations with lower prices to be instituted by the 28th. Another has them getting rid of the Rewards card with card turn-ins redeemable for a 12-pack of soda. Stay tuned...this should be fun...unless it's a false alarm, that is!

BillyGr

Check out acmestyleblog.blogspot.com - they have a great post on the changes at Acme (which is also part of the same company as Shaw's, so likely most or all of these will show up at Shaw's as well).

retailisking

Shelf tags aside, judging from the flyer they are still doing hi-lo pricing.

retailisking

The rumors are all true. Effective Friday June 28 Shaw's is lowering prices on about 10,000 SKUs, getting rid of the card, and there is a card turn-in for a specially discounted 12-pack of soda. Not a bad start, but the proof is on the receipt - and we'll see if the savings in subsequent circulars is comparable.
http://darlenemichaud.com/shaws-flyer-628-74/

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on June 25, 2013, 01:08:08 PM
The rumors are all true. Effective Friday June 28 Shaw's is lowering prices on about 10,000 SKUs, getting rid of the card, and there is a card turn-in for a specially discounted 12-pack of soda. Not a bad start, but the proof is on the receipt - and we'll see if the savings in subsequent circulars is comparable.

This circular has a "classic" feel to it. The font style and pictures, and the techniques the stores use for marketing have a 90s approach. I like the "no card needed" idea. I wish a lot of stores would get rid of it. No matter how hard you try, not every customer wants to sign up, they forget their card, and it just makes the sales more complicated. Too bad they didn't think of this when they were still in Connecticut.

Joeg

I think it is time to revisit this.  I think ALL stores should get rid of there cards, and re-think the double coupon policy that has been in effect for almost 25 yrs in some stores.  What we need is lower prices and not all the fancy stuff like gas points, double coupons etc etc. What happen to the triple coupons that some stores ran in there ads??. but then again that was just another promotion that stores used.

retailisking

The coupon mom army was all up in arms over the changes, and Shaw's PR is bending over backwards to accommodate their concerns. I want double coupons to go away, but if the coupon mom army can't buy an overflowing cart full of stuff for $4.00 there will be blood.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Joeg on June 25, 2013, 03:16:32 PM
I think it is time to revisit this.  I think ALL stores should get rid of there cards, and re-think the double coupon policy that has been in effect for almost 25 yrs in some stores.  What we need is lower prices and not all the fancy stuff like gas points, double coupons etc etc. What happen to the triple coupons that some stores ran in there ads??. but then again that was just another promotion that stores used.
You can say that again. Whatever did happen to the traditional, "American Supermarket" that gave away all of their sale specials to all of their customers for free? I shop at three of my locally family owned and operated IGA Stores. Only one of these three IGA Stores that I shop at feels the need to have a store card, due to competitor Giant Eagle.

retailisking

I was at my local Shaw's today and the staff is pretty excited about the changes, including the new uniforms. They're already much more assertive about customer service, which might backfire with some people who just want to be left to shop in peace, but I was happy to have my bagger note mold in my pint of strawberries and hustle to replace it ASAP.Local coverage of the changes is far less positive than the Hannaford promotion, no surprise considering Hannaford is the "hometown" grocer (by way of Brussels) and spends more on advertising and frankly has a better handle than Shaw's on PR.

MikeRa

Quote from: retailisking on June 25, 2013, 01:08:08 PM
Acme, Albertsons, Lucky, and Jewel are doing the same thing as well (except for the Card turn in so far), except Acme is still allowing you to save coupons to your SuperCard.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

Four Massachusetts, two Rhode Island Shaw's to close. Is Cerberus just Supervalu without rewards cards?
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/six-shaws-slated-close

retailisking

I'm hearing these closures were decided on long before the card-free rollout. I wonder where they cut next; there are still lots of underperforming Shaw's out there. The boost in associate enthusiasm I experienced when they announced the price cuts and got rid of the rewards card has completely dissipated. Wave after wave of store closures has that effect; everybody has to wonder and worry if they are next.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130729/NEWS02/130739985

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on July 29, 2013, 06:38:39 PM
I'm hearing these closures were decided on long before the card-free rollout. I wonder where they cut next; there are still lots of underperforming Shaw's out there. The boost in associate enthusiasm I experienced when they announced the price cuts and got rid of the rewards card has completely dissipated. Wave after wave of store closures has that effect; everybody has to wonder and worry if they are next.

Wow!  6 stores...

Seabrook is no surprise to me... an old, small store tucked back in a Walmart-anchored plaza with two Market Basket in town.  I think it still has the old Shaw's logo.

d_fife

Quote from: Zayre88 on July 29, 2013, 06:54:23 PM
Quote from: retailisking on July 29, 2013, 06:38:39 PM

Wow!  6 stores...

Seabrook is no surprise to me... an old, small store tucked back in a Walmart-anchored plaza with two Market Basket in town.  I think it still has the old Shaw's logo.

Shaws in Seabrook, whatll happen with the plaza?

Goffstown (Why that one?), Manchester, TIlton, Lebanon and KEene are closing

I remember going to Tilton while shaws was dead while MArket BAsket was busy.

retailisking

Might be an opening for Market Basket, or maybe the market is just overstored
http://www.vnews.com/news/7912444-95/no-word-on-shaws-successor

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on August 04, 2013, 02:53:16 AM
Might be an opening for Market Basket, or maybe the market is just overstored
http://www.vnews.com/news/7912444-95/no-word-on-shaws-successor

Indeed.  In Manchester or Seabrook, Shaw's can't become Market Basket.  Elsewhere I don't know but there could be some opportunity for MB to expand.

If Shaw's owns a building or a lease, they probably won't sell it to MB however.