Main Menu

JC Penney

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

The Granite Run Mall JCPenney location is one of 3 original anchors to this mall, along with Sears and Gimbel Brothers when this mall opened in 1974.  The owners of this mall announced that they will demolish the JCPenney store and replace it with new retail space and a movie theatre.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Quote from: MikeRa on January 10, 2015, 02:20:55 PM
The Granite Run Mall JCPenney location is one of 3 original anchors to this mall, along with Sears and Gimbel Brothers when this mall opened in 1974.  The owners of this mall announced that they will demolish the JCPenney store and replace it with new retail space and a movie theatre.

Southland Center in suburban Detroit's doing the same thing-they're demolishing the long-vacant Mervyn's store and also replacing with with a movie theater, but instead of extra retail space, they're including sit-down restaurants.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on January 09, 2015, 10:57:13 AM
Perhaps just the location relative to other stores?

Could be. Not saying they will, but if they were to close the Torrington JCP residents would have to jump on Interstate Route 8 to Interstate 84 to get to the store at the Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury. I know now that the JCP in Meriden closed my Mom doesn't shop at JCP any more. Even though there are 2 other locations near us that are practically equal distance from where we live. My Mom hates the Westfarms Mall. Too upscale. You gotta take a 4th Mortgage out on your house to shop at that mall. She also hates the above mentioned Brass Mill Mall. It's right in the middle of the ghetto.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on January 10, 2015, 05:51:50 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on January 09, 2015, 10:57:13 AM
Perhaps just the location relative to other stores?

Could be. Not saying they will, but if they were to close the Torrington JCP residents would have to jump on Interstate Route 8 to Interstate 84 to get to the store at the Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury. I know now that the JCP in Meriden closed my Mom doesn't shop at JCP any more. Even though there are 2 other locations near us that are practically equal distance from where we live. My Mom hates the Westfarms Mall. Too upscale. You gotta take a 4th Mortgage out on your house to shop at that mall. She also hates the above mentioned Brass Mill Mall. It's right in the middle of the ghetto.

I was thinking more relative to what else is in the area (other store chains) not necessarily other JCP stores.  Like the Bennington example where there is only a Kmart and smaller Walmart, no Sears, Macys or other dept. type stores, no Target etc. so less competition in that area which might cause the JCP to have better sales figures.

Bdubs

Former Penney's in the East Brook Mall in Mansfield is being divided and becoming a Dollar Tree and Fashion Bug. That location closed around a year ago.

ynkeesfn82

retailisking

They took over a 200K former Macy's in 2007; way too much selling space for JCP in this day and age.
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20150612/NEWS/150618234

Here's a MetroWest Daily News story from their opening:
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20070304/NEWS/303049954

dmx10101

A surging J.C. Penney to re-enter category it left 30 years ago
JANUARY 19, 2016 | BY GINA ACOSTA

As more millennials enter the real estate market and a rising number of homeowners invest in updating their homes, J.C. Penney is re-entering the appliance business.

The retailer announced that it will introduce a leading assortment of major appliances in 22 pilot stores beginning Feb. 1. Backed by customer research that reinforces the company’s decision to enter the appliance market, the pilot is one of several strategic initiatives aimed at improving its home department sales productivity, the company said.

The company introduced a strategic framework in 2015 that focuses on opportunities in private brands, omnichannel and increasing revenue per customer, of which appliance sales will be a key component.

“Our research shows that the female consumer is the key decision maker in the appliance purchase process,” said Marvin Ellison, CEO, J.C. Penney. “Recognizing that over 70% of our shoppers are women, we’re going to improve the way customers shop for appliances by building an emotional connection with the female shopper who already trusts J.C. Penney to furnish her home and wardrobe."

Launching in San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa, Florida, area stores, each pilot location will feature 90 to 150 appliance models in a dedicated showroom staffed by trained and knowledgeable associates. J.C. Penney will carry a selection of kitchen and laundry appliances in a range of price points from GE, Hotpoint, LG and Samsung.

To increase its shopping appeal among women, appliances will be strategically adjacent to other popular home categories with select display models styled in inspiring lifestyle vignettes to help customers visualize how it could look in their homes.

After more than 30 years, J.C. Penney decided to re-enter the appliance business after customer data showed that the vast majority of its shoppers own a home and are frequently searching for major appliance options on jcp.com. The company also conducted extensive third-party consumer research, which revealed that the majority of those surveyed thought it made sense for J.C. Penney to sell major appliances. Respondents saw it as a natural extension of the company’s home business, and indicated that the availability of appliances would entice them to visit J.C. Penney more often.

“We plan to continually listen to our customers’ feedback and learn from our pilot operations over the next few months,” Ellison said. “Although our sales results in our Home business are much improved, it still remains one of the least productive areas in the store. The introduction of major appliances will help us continue to significantly improve sales and gross profit per square foot in our home department.”

The company plans to make a broad assortment of major appliances available on jcp.com starting this spring. The national retailer will also leverage its J.C. Penney credit card and JCP Rewards program to provide unique customer advantages that help make new appliance ownership attainable for more families.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Hudsons81

I still remember when a major portion of the first floor of the Southland Center JCPenney in Taylor, Michigan was dedicated to appliances and electronics. I was only like less than two years old when they took them out.

Pikapower

^^JCPenney bringing back appliances to their stores, what's next JCPenney to bring back hardware and JCPenney-branded auto centers?
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I remember reading something about these department stores carrying everything (not just a few certain categories). Sears did it (and still does somewhat), Montgomery Ward did, and JCPenney all did. I hope that if JCPenney sticks around long enough, that they bring video games back to their electronics department and sell toys again.

BillyGr

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 21, 2016, 08:02:47 PM
I remember reading something about these department stores carrying everything (not just a few certain categories). Sears did it (and still does somewhat), Montgomery Ward did, and JCPenney all did. I hope that if JCPenney sticks around long enough, that they bring video games back to their electronics department and sell toys again.

Not sure about everywhere, but the original (or at least quite older) Montgomery Wards store here in the Albany (NY) area was a huge multi-floored building which had lots of room for everything including being able to pick up orders from their catalog (so likely stocked most, if not all, of the items in the catalog at any time).

EddieJ1984

So when the JCPenney opened in 2013 at the Willow Grove Park Mall in Abington, PA it looked like this, which I thought looked funny since the logo was so small (mmm Im surprised I never posted this til now)...

I was there this past weekend, the sign's are now of their current logo.

Much much better looking.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

It's a familiar logo in a different color. Usually JCPenney has a white logo above the mall entrance, as well as a white (or a black JCPenney logo that turns white at night) JCPenney logo on the building itself.

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 03, 2016, 11:16:27 AM
It's a familiar logo in a different color. Usually JCPenney has a white logo above the mall entrance, as well as a white (or a black JCPenney logo that turns white at night) JCPenney logo on the building itself.

Frankly, I like the red JCP sign over the usual white ones for the outside, but I think the box JCP sign looks bland compare to the "classic" JCPenney logo in general.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

TheFugitive

Pennys is apparently experiencing a cash crunch.
Store managers have been told to cut expenses to the bone.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/05/jcpenney-taking-emergency-measures-to-stay-afloat/

I use to HATE when this happened.   Hated having to make those calls to minimum-wage
cashiers telling them to stay home, we're taking away 8 of your 24 hours.

JimSawhill

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 21, 2016, 08:02:47 PM

Sporting Goods...I bought my tent from JCPenny...

giantsfan2016

retailisking

A demographic you'd think least likely to be interested in the venerable nameplate is flocking to JCP
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/01/millennial-shoppers-are-heading-to-jc-penney.html

TheFugitive

retailisking

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 24, 2017, 09:33:01 AM
JC Penney will close two distribution centers and 13% of it's stores.

http://www.startribune.com/j-c-penney-to-close-13-to-14-percent-of-stores/414700743/

As with Macy's, they want to bring the brand standard up, and not all of the stores can support it. Expect a lot of small-town stores and marginal mall-based locations to get the ax.

FitchMike26

The first location closing is Willow Grove, Pennsylvania:
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/real_estate/commercial/JCPenney-at-Willow-Grove-Park-to-close-mall-owner-PREIT-says.html

The store is 114,000 sq ft, and opened in October of 2012. Story from the original opening:
http://archive.is/A9Zds

Bdubs

I buy pretty much everything online. The only store I actually go to is JCP. They have the best fitting dress shirts, and I can't seem to find anything else like them anywhere else.
I'll give them credit, in a land of department stores that are dying slow deaths, the actual look of their stores are always well organized and fully merchandised. 

danfifepsu

which ones will close?

IN NH I Feel likely ones are ROchester, Keene and LEbanon.

store215

Quote from: FitchMike26 on February 24, 2017, 07:26:42 PM
The first location closing is Willow Grove, Pennsylvania:
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/real_estate/commercial/JCPenney-at-Willow-Grove-Park-to-close-mall-owner-PREIT-says.html

Not surprised...This store opened back under the previous CEO, so it was a hodge podge of different ideas that only chased shoppers away, and feels nothing like a JCPenney on the inside and more of an 'Old Navy' style of interior with a very odd layout. I wonder if some of the other closures will hit stores opened during the previous CEO. I'm hoping Boscov's may want to try again (they were going to open here originally after Strawbridge's left) as they are a bit better financially now...I don't know who else would want the space as it is.

FitchMike26

The problem with the Willow Grove space, is that part of it was converted to general mall space.

The original building is 3 stories. Strawbridge's (and before that, Abraham & Straus) used all 3 floors. When Boscov's backed out of taking this location, the top floor was immediately subdivided for Cheesecake Factory, Bravo Italian Restaurant, and Nordstrom Rack.

Once JCPenney expressed interest in joining the mall, more subdividing occurred. Half of the first floor was carved into mall space, with Penney's taking the other half of that level. On the second level, Penney's has most of the space, but Forever 21 does use a portion of it as well.

The space Penney's is vacating is 114,000 sq ft. It would be hard to find one anchor to take that amount of space, so I suspect that eventually, this will just become regular mall space.

If you go to their website, you can see what I'm referring to. Click "view map" and look at the anchor on the left:
https://willowgroveparkmall.com/directory

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on February 27, 2017, 11:08:03 AM
http://www.retaildive.com/news/jc-penney-swooping-in-on-sears-home-services-appliance-turf/436939

Makes sense - that's one area where people would likely be interested to see things before buying, plus it may be cheaper to deliver from a local spot than from a far away location. 
Additionally, there are times when something stops working and people need a replacement now, where having a local store to go to helps out.

Quote from: FitchMike26 on February 26, 2017, 03:04:50 PM
The problem with the Willow Grove space, is that part of it was converted to general mall space.

The original building is 3 stories. Strawbridge's (and before that, Abraham & Straus) used all 3 floors. When Boscov's backed out of taking this location, the top floor was immediately subdivided for Cheesecake Factory, Bravo Italian Restaurant, and Nordstrom Rack.

Once JCPenney expressed interest in joining the mall, more subdividing occurred. Half of the first floor was carved into mall space, with Penney's taking the other half of that level. On the second level, Penney's has most of the space, but Forever 21 does use a portion of it as well.

The space Penney's is vacating is 114,000 sq ft. It would be hard to find one anchor to take that amount of space, so I suspect that eventually, this will just become regular mall space.

If you go to their website, you can see what I'm referring to. Click "view map" and look at the anchor on the left:
https://willowgroveparkmall.com/directory

Not sure, but the Boscov's here (Albany, NY) built onto the existing empty space when they opened - another one in the area took down an existing spot (vacant Caldor) to build their store.  So it's possible that they could use the existing JC Penney spot and add on if it was too small for them.

FitchMike26

That's assuming Boscov's even WANTS to open here, though.

Boscov's already has two stores within 15 minutes of Willow Grove (Plymouth Meeting & Neshaminy) AND previously closed 3 other stores near Willow Grove: Montgomery Mall, Franklin Mills Mall, and a freestanding store on Godfrey Ave.

I think Willow Grove will likely gut this space and reclaim it as mall space. The same thing was done 15 years ago to a former Abraham & Straus/Strawbridge's in King of Prussia, and it's been doing well ever since then (The Pavillion at KOP).