Main Menu

JC Penney

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truviking05

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here's the JCPenney in Waterville ME.  It's a one-level store located in a shopping plaza, not a mall... :tumble:

There's a store like that in my town. One story, in a shopping plaza anchored by Big K-Mart, Winn Dixie, and Beall's (regional chain).

There's also one like that in Bennington, VT (of course the fact that Bennington doesn't have a mall might be the reason for it's location).;)

Yeah, there's no "real" mall in my town either. However, right across the bridge from this plaza, in the next town over, there is a large JCP with 2nd floor in the mall there--everyone in my town and that one considers it to be "THE Mall".

Jag67

here's a Penneys built in 1985 lol:) not as outdated as the oter locations

(Picture Size!) I'll let it slide this time, but please keep the picture rule in mind, thanks! - TokenSafari

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
here's a Penneys built in 1985 lol:) not as outdated as the oter locations

Hey man, the McKinley JCP (the one in your pic) was not opened until 1991 or '92 (though I'm almost positive it was '92).  The McKinley Mall originally had Sears and AM&A's as it's anchors.  Later, LL Berger, Sibley's, and Penney's were added, in that order.

Jag67

jmn3 to the rescue again lol:D...I had a feeling it was added later but i wasnt sure. Wow 1992..that store's almost as old as me.

P.S- sorry TokenSafari...want me to resize it?

Caldor1999

jmn3 to the rescue again lol:D...I had a feeling it was added later but i wasnt sure. Wow 1992..that store's almost as old as me.

P.S- sorry TokenSafari...want me to resize it?

lol u can usal tell if a store was bult in the 70's or 80's that JC Penny look has a 90's app;e to it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tokensafari

No.. don't worry about it this time. Just keep it in mind next time, thanks! :D

Caldor1999

if u nodice Macys and JC Penny have the same logo u can cheack that out on the Macys thred
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Rayco7030

i went to jc pennys yesterday at boston rd springfield.mass
theyre going out of business and thestore was mostly empty
the second floor was closed to customers only the employess were allowed and  i was shocked they sell great over there in a gob sale ,unlikely i dont have a camera and itll be closed in a few days.its in the Eastfield mall ,you can see the front of it from the outside cause you vcan enter through the front and go through to the mall
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

Jag67

One more slice of 80's gone..

Jag67

EWWW!! LOOK AT THIS HIDEOUS WALLPAPER!!! This is at the Dixie Square store.

Caldor1999

EWWW!! LOOK AT THIS WALLPAPER!!! This is at the Dixie Square store.

I think I wanna barf:barf:

Hmm from ythe looks of it im gussing thats the dressing rooms so yea i would do this:barf:
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

this isn't the orginal wallpaper. Under this was different wallpaper, which is just as ugly. I'm guessing the "new" wallpaper was added late 60's-70's.

Jag67

Theyre animals. Kinda creepy looking wallpaper. It's one of those "I-think-about-it-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-know-it's-sitting-there-in-the-pitch-black-darkness"-type things.

The wallpaper under is from when the store was built in 1965, this wallpaper must've been added in the 70's to "modernize" the store (too bad it was modernized by some acid freak)

Notice how the older wallpaper underneath is similar to the pattern of the escalator wallpaper of the dixie store, just different colors. It was never replaced, either.

truviking05

This picture from the JCPenney website is one of a store in West Palm Beach, FL. in the 1960s. It is ASBSOLUTELY identical to my local store--except for the logo, of course. Oh--and I'm sure this store of mine was opened in 1965 (never exterior remodeled) since I just found out tonight that the mall it anchors was opened in 1965!

http://www.jcpenney.net/company/history/milestn/milestn8.htm

(If you scroll part of the way down the page to the heading "1965" you'll see the pic. Sorry--can't post pics for some reason...)

Caldor1999

This picture from the JCPenney website is one of a store in West Palm Beach, FL. in the 1960s. It is ASBSOLUTELY identical to my local store--except for the logo, of course. Oh--and I'm sure this store of mine was opened in 1965 (never exterior remodeled) since I just found out tonight that the mall it anchors was opened in 1965!

http://www.jcpenney.net/company/history/milestn/milestn8.htm

(If you scroll part of the way down the page to the heading "1965" you'll see the pic. Sorry--can't post pics for some reason...)

lol i wonder if they tlak about closing 44 stores in 2001 on there sight
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

Here You go. This is very typical of the design penneys used in the 60's-early 70's. This design and the other (The kind seen at the dixie square store)

truviking05

Thanks Jag. My store is actually the only one I've ever seen still like that today!

jmn3

Thanks Jag. My store is actually the only one I've ever seen still like that today!

There aren't many old-school JCP stores left at all anymore.  For what it's worth, the stores they built during the 80's and 90's were so small and worthless...it's a shame they replaced so many of the big older stores with these shoddy replacements.

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Ha Ha the JCPenney it my Torrington Stop & Shop Plaza must be one of those small & worthless ones!
It was built the same year the plaza was built in 1990!!!

Only if it replaced a larger location.  It seemed to be JCP's game, especially in the Buffalo area, to replace the older stores with newer stores in the newer malls, but replace them with these small, chopped up, cheap looking stores.  When I was growing up, our Penney's was always this great big department store with huge tall ceilings, they replaced it at a newer mall with a one store location that wasn't wide open, but instead had little rooms for each department.  It was bad.  A few years later they took all the walls down and opened the store up somewhat.

Jag67

I dunno...our local Penneys was built in 1971 and not only is it small, it only has one floor. I think this may be because when Eastern Hills mall was built, Clarence was still a pretty rural area.

PS-That old Penneys looks a LOT like the old Northtown Plaza Hens and kelley, which is now The bon-Ton.

Caldor1999

the closiest JC Penny to me was in the grallria mall in white planes NY it closed in 2001 and is now a Sears
Caldor Forever!

jmn3

I dunno...our local Penneys was built in 1971 and not only is it small, it only has one floor. I think this may be because when Eastern Hills mall was built, Clarence was still a pretty rural area.

I Never understood how that store at Eastern Hills was so small and especially that it is only one level.  All of the other anchors at the mall are two levels.  Jag, did you ever take a look at the rear part of the store?  Doesn't it look like it actually is two levels?  Like, maybe they closed off the second floor or something?  I don't know as I'm a southtowner and didn't get out that way too much as a youngster...but it is really odd that it's as small as it is.  

Also, the other JCP stores locally at the time, Boulevard, Thruway, Seneca, they were all pretty large...so it's odd that one of the four would be built on such a smaller scale.  Who knows...you might be on to something there with teh fact that the Clarence area was in 1971 certainly not what it is today.

Jag67

Yes...In fact, once when me and dad went to the Penneys store after not going for a while, I actually thought it was two floors lol..I think the top floor is storage.

PS jmn....does the Eastern Hills Penneys store have it's orginal signage? If you saw my pics of the store, you'll see that the store's signage isnt in The current Penneys logo (save the box) came out the year the EH store was built, so it was either one of the last stores with thr old logo or one of the first to feature the new logo. I dunno, Knowing the way penneys is, they probably put the old logo on the store even though it was old anyway!!

jmn3

Yes...In fact, once when me and dad went to the Penneys store after not going for a while, I actually thought it was two floors lol..I think the top floor is storage.

PS jmn....does the Eastern Hills Penneys store have it's orginal signage? If you saw my pics of the store, you'll see that the store's signage isnt in The current Penneys logo (save the box) came out the year the EH store was built, so it was either one of the last stores with thr old logo or one of the first to feature the new logo. I dunno, Knowing the way penneys is, they probably put the old logo on the store even though it was old anyway!!

I can't say for certain, but the more I think about it...that store may have always had the JCPenney logo.

storehistoryguy

Some people call the store just Pennys. So shouldn't those people spell it Pennies?

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Some people call the store just Pennys. So shouldn't those people spell it Pennies?

No, not at all.  Penney was someone's last name.  I believe it was James Cash Penney, hence, JCPenney.  

Anyway, you don't pluralize a name like that...it becomes Penney's (such as the logo during the 60's).  Pennies is the plural of the word penny, the coin.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by jmn3
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

No, not at all.  Penney was someone's last name.  I believe it was James Cash Penney, hence, JCPenney.  

Anyway, you don't pluralize a name like that...it becomes Penney's (such as the logo during the 60's).  Pennies is the plural of the word penny, the coin.

im happy its now Called JC Penny insed of Pennys

Pennys sounds like some cheep doller store as were u add the JC it makes it sound more upscale

the truth is i dont lke JC Penny they nevre have anything good there there most likey are gonna closed down in the next few years im also thinking the same for Sears cause they nevre have anyhing gtood there too

and all we will have left is the better Dept stores like Bloomingdales Nordstrom Macys and Lord & Taylor
Caldor Forever!

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999and all we will have left is the better Dept stores like Bloomingdales Nordstrom Macys and Lord & Taylor

JCP has done a good job of targeting the middle class market.  They aren't as upscale as the retailers you mention above, but they are a few more notches above discounters like Wal-Mart.  As long as they continue to close non-profitable locations and continue to target the middle class and not lose their focus, I think they will be around for a while longer.  Heck, people have been writing Penney's off for over a decade and they are still around.  

Sears on the other hand hasn't really focused on anything for years.  You never really know what they are trying to do...hard lines, soft lines...it's something new with them every couple of years.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by jmn3
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999and all we will have left is the better Dept stores like Bloomingdales Nordstrom Macys and Lord & Taylor

JCP has done a good job of targeting the middle class market.  They aren't as upscale as the retailers you mention above, but they are a few more notches above discounters like Wal-Mart.  As long as they continue to close non-profitable locations and continue to target the middle class and not lose their focus, I think they will be around for a while longer.  Heck, people have been writing Penney's off for over a decade and they are still around.  

Sears on the other hand hasn't really focused on anything for years.  You never really know what they are trying to do...hard lines, soft lines...it's something new with them every couple of years.

i dont hate JC Penny i just like more up scale stores but JC Penny has done a good job targeing middle class market and u can find some nice house were and applices even furnter there too thats what JC Penny has that is good

when it comes to there clouthing line thats there week point to me Macys Lord & Taylor Nordstrom and Bloomingdales hase that stuff done well

abd u are right about Sears i think they mightn go they havend done much to improve over the years and have u seen what they have done to the fromer Kmart stores they converted lol so yea i dont think they will be around much longer
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

Another pic of the Boulevard Penneys (Please let me know if this is too big)