Main Menu

JC Penney

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSawhill

Quote from: shore72 on April 14, 2013, 10:12:54 PM
Not made up, not at all...there are groups that track these things. Without getting too off track here, some folks very close to me are currently boycotting JCP for this reason. I don't know why JCP would bother going out of their way to upset such a large part of their traditional market but they did (primarily with the use of a photo used in a sales flyer featuring some gay men.) Now, whatever they do to try and get out of it, they upset one group or the other.

I really have a hard time remembering a major retailer which has imploded so quickly. They have pushed customers away in droves.

True... I hope JC Penny will survive but i doubt it!!

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

If JCPenney does go under, I will have to start shopping at my local JC's 5star OUTLET Store.

Bdubs

So, I'm sitting here watching TV, and see a JCPenney commercial. Saying "Cone back to us " They reverted back to the old logo not one mention of the terrible JCP campaign. I see they realized they made a mistake on that front.

TRU7536

Quote from: Bdubs on May 01, 2013, 08:22:43 PM
So, I'm sitting here watching TV, and see a JCPenney commercial. Saying "Cone back to us " They reverted back to the old logo not one mention of the terrible JCP campaign. I see they realized they made a mistake on that front.

It's to late for them. They will be gone in 5 years top.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Bdubs on May 01, 2013, 08:22:43 PM
I saw that commercial tonight, too. Twice.

Bdubs

Very sad. I've been a JC Penney shopper since I was little. I suppose I was in denial the whole time, but I went to spend a gift card I got for Christmas last week (that's how often I go shopping, lol) and I couldn't find anything to buy!

I love their Stafford brand dress shirts, they fit the best and used to have like 100 different colors. Now, there were only a handful of anything decent, but their size selection sucked. Last year, the whole work clothing selection shrunk from a whole dept. to a corner at the back of the store.
I would also agree, 5 years and this place is gone.

faz152

I don't know if it'll be as large as it currently is.... but I think they'll bounce back

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I think they will bounce back, as well.

I think that the "jcpenney" wordmark (using the same font as "jcp") used in those commercials just might be their secondary logo, because their website still uses the "jcp flag" as their current logo.

Kmart4life

I saw the commercial asking shoppers to come back to JC Penney yesterday.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 03, 2013, 10:23:02 AM

I think that the "jcpenney" wordmark (using the same font as "jcp") used in those commercials just might be their secondary logo, because their website still uses the "jcp flag" as their current logo.
I will have to say that I liked their non-flag logo better because it resembled their original logo the most. Like you stated ShopKoFan, all they did was change the, "JCP" to, "jcp". On top of that they got rid of it like almost immediately after they came out with it. Does anybody know if the change to the new flag logo was after they brought in Johnson?

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on May 04, 2013, 05:55:27 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 03, 2013, 10:23:02 AM

I will have to say that I liked their non-flag logo better because it resembled their original logo the most. Like you stated ShopKoFan, all they did was change the, "JCP" to, "jcp". On top of that they got rid of it like almost immediately after they came out with it. Does anybody know if the change to the new flag logo was after they brought in Johnson?
I have a feeling both logos will coexist. I would imagine the flag would stay because it has an American look, since JCPenney is an American brand, and the logo alludes to the American flag. I think this logo will be the only thing that will remain of the failed "fair-and-square" retail strategy. That "flag" and the "jcpenney" wordmark in the Gotham font will remain.

The previous two logos to the flag logo used the Helvetica font since 1971, after rebranding from "Penneys" to "JCPenney" to "[jcp]enney".

(edit)
I watched the newest episode of Saturday Night Live on NBC tonight, and during the commercial break, they aired the same JCPenney advertisement twice, and they are still using the "flag" logo.

ynkeesfn82

JCP raises prices before putting things on sale to fool consumers into thinking they're getting a better deal than they really are.

http://ctwatchdog.com/finance/jc-penney-jacks-up-prices-before-giving-discounts

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on August 04, 2013, 07:29:56 PM
JCP raises prices before putting things on sale to fool consumers into thinking they're getting a better deal than they really are.

AKA Kohl's everyday pricing policy.

TRU7536

This company is so screwed! I see them gone in about 5 years max.

ynkeesfn82

My Mom went to the JCP in Meriden, CT today. She was very angry how hard it was to find employees to help her with what she needed. Plus something she wanted which was listed online as being in stock in the Meriden store weren't in the store. That angered her even more.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: TRU7536 on August 05, 2013, 03:08:24 PM

At least the original JCPenney consumers will still have JC's 5star OUTLET to shop at for those of us who have a JC's 5star OUTLET close to where they live if JCPenney does go under.

ynkeesfn82

JcPenney CEO Mike Ullman has pulled the plug on Martha Stewart.

QuoteHer designs aren’t that great. They’re not selling, and they’re nothing that your normal Joe Schmoe can’t come up with.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/04/jcpenney-finally-shelves-martha-stewart-deal

ynkeesfn82

JCP has decided to copy Macy's and plans on opening on Thanksgiving at 8PM.

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on October 19, 2013, 03:43:44 PM
JCP has decided to copy Macy's and plans on opening on Thanksgiving at 8PM.

That won't matter in states like Maine, where big box blue laws remain in effect (unless your name is LL Bean...)

MikeRa

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on August 15, 2013, 07:46:31 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on August 05, 2013, 03:08:24 PM

At least the original JCPenney consumers will still have JC's 5star OUTLET to shop at for those of us who have a JC's 5star OUTLET close to where they live if JCPenney does go under.
Not anymore.  All of the JC's 5 Star Outlets are closing.  Info can be found at http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3442.0
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Bdubs

The JCP in the Eastbrook Mall in Mansfield has closed. Not sure how long ago this one shut down, but the whole place is totally empty, all sognage has been removed from the building.

Bdubs

The closure of that store and reading some articles lead me to find out some history about the store which I was unaware of.  That particular store started in nearby Willimantic in 1976 (Where BJ's is now), and was persuaded to move into the mall in 95. 
Although the store isn't that old compared to others in the state, the store was left in the dust.  As other stores remodeled and were updated, the JCP of the the East Brook Mall was left with all the original layout of the 95 move.  A large catalog sale room sat empty.  Nothing but empty racks and shelving for a couple years.  Corners of the store were just left wide open.  Very unusual for a clothing store to not utilize their space.  Even before the company starting going downhill, it was as if they were going to phase this store out years ago.

We know JCPenney is trying win back the customers they lost, but more problems are mounting for JCPenney. JCPenney is in an identity crisis. JCPenney has reintroduced its 1971 logo, which they originally discontinued in 2011:

dmx10101

This a very interesting article about the changes that jcp has experienced and is trying to now reverse.

J.C. Penney's New CEO Is Gradually Eliminating Any Trace Of His Predecessor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/20/jc-penney-new-ceo_n_3787106.html
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

d_fife

JCPenney is closing a location at the Forest Mall in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Forest Mall is a shopping mall owned by the Simon Property Group which was built 1973. JCPenney was one of Forest Mall's original anchor tenants when the mall opened in 1973.

Other JCPenney locations that closed in the past:

Green Bay, Wisconsin, downtown area (August 1977-January 2006) (Port Plaza Mall, later known as Washington Commons): Now located at the Village at Bay Park shopping plaza in Ashwaubenon (behind Bay Park Square mall).

Manitowoc, Wisconsin (Mid-Cities Mall, later known as Lake View Plaza): Relocated to a downsized outlet store location elsewhere in Manitowoc.

More news on "JCP":

QuoteStruggling J.C. Penney closing 33 stores, including 5 in Wisconsin

By Paul Gores of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel   

J.C. Penney Co. said Wednesday it plans to close 33 "underperforming" stores by early May â€" including five locations in Wisconsin â€" as part of an effort to turn around the company.

The Wisconsin Penney stores set to close are at Forest Mall in Fond du Lac, Janesville Mall in Janesville, Wausau Mall in Wausau, Lincoln Plaza Center in Rhinelander and Cedar Mall in Rice Lake.

In all, 255 jobs will be eliminated in the state. Nationwide, the struggling retailer said, about 2,000 jobs will be lost.

Wisconsin has more closings scheduled than any other state on shut-down list. The state will have 18 J.C. Penney stores left after the five closings.

"Although we continually review our store base, there are currently no plans to close other locations in Wisconsin," said Joey Thomas, spokesman for Plano, Texas-based J.C. Penney.

The Janesville and Wausau stores have 70 employees each, while Fond du Lac has 50, Rice Lake 40 and Rhinelander 25, Thomas said.

Remaining inventory in the affected stores will be sold over the next several months, with final closings expected to be complete by early May, Penney said.

Penney said the closings are expected to save about $65 million a year, starting in 2014.

"As we continue to progress toward long-term profitable growth, it is necessary to reexamine the financial performance of our store portfolio and adjust our national footprint accordingly," Myron E. (Mike) Ullman III, said in a statement. "While it's always difficult to make a business decision that impacts our valued customers and associates, this important step addresses a strategic priority to improve the profitability of our stores and position J.C. Penney for future success."

Penney lost $985 million in 2012 and $1.4 billion through the first nine months of its fiscal year 2013.

Retail industry expert Howard Davidowitz said that he expects Penney to close more stores than those announced Wednesday, and that two of its main competitors â€" Kohl's and Bon-Ton Stores Inc., both headquartered in Wisconsin â€" should benefit from the disappearance of Penney stores. Bon-Ton is the parent company of Boston Store and Younkers.

"Kohl's and Penney's shoot for the same customer directly. Bon-Ton, I think, is a little teeny bit more upscale. But basically it's the same. If you take all three, they're shooting for the same customer. I think it will be good for Kohl's and Bon-Ton," said Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a national retail consulting and investment banking firm in New York City.

A company that owns Wisconsin malls where two of the doomed Penney stores are located â€" Janesville and Wausau â€" said Wednesday it already has redevelopment plans for the Penney anchor space.

Chattanooga, Tenn.-based CBL & Associates Properties said "we have been proactively engaging in discussions and gauging retail demand with this in mind, and are pleased to announce strong interest for the locations expected to close in 2014."

In all, the Penney closings affect four CBL malls. Among retailers interested in the locations are sporting goods, arts and crafts, and other retailers, as well as a traditional department store for one location â€" "all of which will enhance the performance of the malls overall," CBL said in a statement.

MikeRa

Quote from: Marc B on January 15, 2014, 04:52:27 PM
JC Penney is shuttering 33 stores (including my local store at The Westfield Meriden Square Mall) and cutting 2000 jobs.

http://www.wggb.com/2014/01/15/jcpenney-to-cut-2000-jobs-close-33-stores/

A list of stores closing are included in a link in the article.
2 locations in the Philadelphia area are amung the 33: Exton, PA, and Burlington, NJ
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

Less then 3 months before the store is scheduled to close there are no signs that JCP at the Westfield Meriden Square is closing.

bubcolbert1952

What's kind of ironic is that a Thrift Drug (later Eckerd and Rite Aid but now closed) drugstore owned by JCPenney in Allentown PA was next to a Lacoste clothing store. JCPenney ran a magazine ad in the 70's making fun of the Lacoste alligator (these ads were advertising "The Fox" fashion line by JCPenney which was to compete with Lacoste), but interestingly enough this particular Thrift Drug in Allentown was very small compared to all the other Thrift Drug stores, and therefore had to be without the JCPenney Catalog Center that most if not all other Thrift Drug (and later many Eckerd stores) once had. In fact Rite Aid since 2007 has accepted JCPenney cards (at all Rite Aid stores, not just ones that were Eckerd) to not alienate loyal former Eckerd customers.