Big Y

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Update: The BIG Y in Cheshire opens this Thursday. Heard a commercial on Lite 100.5 that they're broadcasting live on Thursday.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Bdubs on April 27, 2014, 02:59:51 PM
Big Y is also opening a store in Old Saybrook. The closest Big Y in that area currently is Groton. There was a store in Waterford which failed miserably a few years ago.

BIG Y opened its Old Saybrook store today. It's the chain's 62nd location.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 23, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
Did anyone move into the old Big Y in East Hartford?? Northern East Hartford needs a supermarket!!

Cardio Express just opened and Grossman's Bargain Outlet is opening in a few weeks. There's no name on it, but a leasing plan shows a 11,700 Square Foot supermarket coming soon to the plaza.

http://northeastretail.com/Data/portfolio/schoolstreetsquare/ehartfordschoolstreetflyer2015.pdf

ynkeesfn82

What about Trader Joe's? That could fit into that space.

Otherwise this is what the should do:

Space 10 is Family Dollar. Move that to Space 1 next to Cardio Express.

Space 11 is Blossom Spa. Move that to Space 4 next to the Vacant Space 3A.

Space 12 is Vacant.

Space 13 is Cute Cutz. Divide Space 25 next to Subway and move it there.

Space 26 is vacant. Don't know why Space 26 is with Space 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13.

Then combine Space 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 26 and you get a space that is 28,141 Square Feet and you can put PRICE RITE Supermarket there albeit a smaller sized one.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on April 09, 2015, 05:17:46 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on April 23, 2012, 04:49:38 PM
Did anyone move into the old Big Y in East Hartford?? Northern East Hartford needs a supermarket!!

Cardio Express just opened and Grossman's Bargain Outlet is opening in a few weeks. There's no name on it, but a leasing plan shows a 11,700 Square Foot supermarket coming soon to the plaza.

http://northeastretail.com/Data/portfolio/schoolstreetsquare/ehartfordschoolstreetflyer2015.pdf

A Grossman Bargin Outlet? Is that Grossman revolved from Grossmans Lumber?

Joeg

Yes, it is next to a gym.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on May 20, 2015, 05:17:03 AM
Yes, it is next to a gym.

Thought they were out of business. I'm glad they are still in business.

ynkeesfn82

It's a related company, but I'm unsure how they're related. There was an ad on the back of the Sports section of Sunday's Hartford Courant for the store mentioning the Grand Opening of their East Hartford store.

Bobsketball

I saw Big Y in a Tampax flyer here in PA, with both Giants and Martin's mentioned alongside Big Y. They should have put Stop & Shop instead of Big Y.

ynkeesfn82

In this morning's Hartford Courant there was an article that stated that construction of the Simsbury, CT store has been pushed back to The Spring of 2016. No reason for the delay was given.

retailisking

Judging from the comments, Big Y's reliance on gimmicks with regard to pricing is not winning over customers in Eastern Mass.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on September 29, 2016, 11:28:38 PM
Judging from the comments, Big Y's pricing strategy reliance on gimmicks is not winning over customers in Eastern Mass.

Likely just that people are used to Hannaford's model which is mostly everyday (lower) pricing with only a few real "sales" each week and thus the change to Big Y which has more sales items but probably higher pricing of items not on sale takes getting used to.

Surprising that people complain about cards, though, since Stop & Shop is also in the market and has used one for years as well.  Also, at least a few of the people didn't seem to understand how it worked -  the part about a license (which only deals with paying by check which most any place is going to ask for some kind of ID to do) and the one about converting to a Plenti type card where you can just use a phone # (which Big Y does as well with theirs).

giantsfan2016

During the summer of 2016 the owners of Big Y Plaza in Plainville, CT painted the entire plaza and BIG Y now has a new round retro-looking logo on their building. I never remember to have my camera with me when I go to Plainville so I have yet to snag a picture

scottw73

If that comes to fruition, that would be a big boost to that area. I'm surprised that Stop and Snop or Price chopper are not interested

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on August 06, 2015, 08:35:07 PM
In this morning's Hartford Courant there was an article that stated that construction of the Simsbury, CT store has been pushed back to The Spring of 2016. No reason for the delay was given.

November 2017 update. Construction has yet to begin on the Simsbury Big Y store. Meanwhile the former Wagner Ford building continues to sit and deteriorate. They were supposed to bulldoze that to build the Big Y. It's been more than 5 years since they first talked about building a Big Y on that property.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: standa on November 05, 2017, 02:35:47 PM
Big Y will probably open in Derby, CT.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Big-Y-Supermarket-appears-headed-to-Derby-12331938.php

I read the same article. To me it isn't clear if they're taking the old Adam's Super Food Store or part of the old Walmart. Or will they take the entire Adam's space and part of the Walmart space. While the Adam's space is smaller than the typical BIG Y I know of two smaller stores - Cheshire and West Hartford.

The article also mentions they might come to Milford. Will they be taking the former ShopRite?

standa

Big Y appears to be opening in part of the former Walmart in Derby, CT.

See link

http://dlc.propertycapsule.com/properties/walmartplaza/#plans

Scrabbleship

http://wamc.org/post/big-y-announces-springfield-distribution-center-expansion-prelude-more-supermarkets

Big Y is expanding its distribution center as a prelude of wanting to open 20 new locations "in the next two decades". Give or take a couple stores and years it would put them at 100 stores for their 100th anniversary.

Question is where they would go: Build up the inside-495 belt or Fairfield County more? Rhode Island? New Hampshire? Perhaps get out of the handshake agreement with the Golubs keeping them out of New York and Vermont?

giantsfan2016

Sounds like very ambitious plans. Lots of luck to them.

BillyGr

Quote from: Scrabbleship on February 25, 2018, 07:12:22 AM
http://wamc.org/post/big-y-announces-springfield-distribution-center-expansion-prelude-more-supermarkets

Big Y is expanding its distribution center as a prelude of wanting to open 20 new locations "in the next two decades". Give or take a couple stores and years it would put them at 100 stores for their 100th anniversary.

Question is where they would go: Build up the inside-495 belt or Fairfield County more? Rhode Island? New Hampshire? Perhaps get out of the handshake agreement with the Golubs keeping them out of New York and Vermont?

Never heard of that one before - there has long been a rumor that they (PC) had some sort of agreement with Wegmans not to expand too far (with both only being around Syracuse, no PC west of that and no Wegmans east, at least in NY).

Although it did seem unusual that they never went westward (particularly some of the smaller areas in easternmost NY that have little store coverage and could use some type of market).

Scrabbleship

Quote from: BillyGr on February 25, 2018, 01:52:06 PM

Never heard of that one before - there has long been a rumor that they (PC) had some sort of agreement with Wegmans not to expand too far (with both only being around Syracuse, no PC west of that and no Wegmans east, at least in NY).

The PC/Big Y noncompete roughly is that Big Y stays out of New York/Vermont and PC stays out of the Pioneer Valley. That PC has never entered a relatively sparse Pioneer Valley, making a donut hole in their map, explains this.

QuoteAlthough it did seem unusual that they never went westward (particularly some of the smaller areas in easternmost NY that have little store coverage and could use some type of market).

I will say that their stores along/east of US 7 have plenty of New York (and in the case of Adams, also Vermont) plates in the parking lots. Growing up in eastern Dutchess County we got ads for Big Y as long as I could remember even with the nearest in Torrington or Great Barrington (and later New Milford once Ahold bought Stop & Shop and the former Finast was divested).

AmesNewington

I suspect many of these new location openings will not be in CT. I know one or two are planned, but I'm sure MA will get most of these new stores. It would be great to see them come to the Berlin Turnpike. If not there, then of course there is Berlin. Rocky Hill Big Y is close by but not convenient. One nice Big Y would be better than a S&S that is just holding a former Shaws out of greed and a lackluster Price Chopper than takes more services away than add them. I really want a ShopRite but Big Y would also be great to have.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 25, 2018, 06:00:44 PM
I suspect many of these new location openings will not be in CT. I know one or two are planned, but I'm sure MA will get most of these new stores.

My guess would be to fill some of the holes where they really don't have stores. Northern Worcester County and MetroWest come immediately to mind as they have nothing in the former and barely anything (the Milford ex-Hannaford) in the latter. They've also talked about wanting to expand more inside 128 besides their presence in Quincy and Saugus.

Prior to the Hannaford purchase, a marriage to Roche Bros would've been perfect as at that time they had zero overlap. If such a thing happened now they'd overlap in Easton and there would be a few other locations that might be shed out of redundancy or just being hard to work with.

Bdubs

Construction has started on the new Big Y in Marlborough, CT. Slated to open in the fall, this is right off Route 2, in an area where the only competition is Stop & Shop in East Hampton the next town over.
This part of the state, Big Y is very spread out. The closest Big Y from Marlborough currently is in Mansfield or Rocky Hill, and South of that, the closest Big Y is Norwich. There is room for growth with this company, but Stop & Shop has such a strong hold on the best properties, not surprisingly.

retailisking

I wonder if Big Y would be interested in the recently-closed Tops (ex-Stoppies) in Gardner, MA. Big Y is in a better position than Price Chopper to expand in this territory, and their go-to-market strategy works better in these smaller markets than, say, Wegmans.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on March 04, 2018, 02:21:17 PM
I wonder if Big Y would be interested in the recently-closed Tops (ex-Stoppies) in Gardner, MA. Big Y is in a better position than Price Chopper to expand in this territory, and their go-to-market strategy works better in these smaller markets than, say, Wegmans.

Not sure how they didn't wind up with that one the first time around (since they took many of the overlap locations) or why Tops took it (being nowhere near the rest of the stores - at least the NY overlap locations weren't all that far from some of the stores they got as the remains of Grand Union).

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on March 05, 2018, 01:30:12 PM
Not sure how they didn't wind up with that one the first time around (since they took many of the overlap locations) or why Tops took it (being nowhere near the rest of the stores - at least the NY overlap locations weren't all that far from some of the stores they got as the remains of Grand Union).

I suspect Tops was chosen because Ahold Delhaize thought they wouldn't be competitive and would quickly fail, thus sending all the business to Hannaford. Kind of like what happened with Haggen out west.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on March 05, 2018, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on March 05, 2018, 01:30:12 PM

I suspect Tops was chosen because Ahold Delhaize thought they wouldn't be competitive and would quickly fail, thus sending all the business to Hannaford. Kind of like what happened with Haggen out west.

Stop & Shop's time in Gardner became numbered in 2012 when two things happened: Hannaford got a liquor license when Massachusetts increased its cap on stores and Price Chopper opened two blocks behind the Hannaford. With hindsight, I wonder why Hannaford just didn't move the mile down the street into the ex-Stop & Shop but at the same time I do realize why they didn't given access to downtown Gardner and to Route 2. Market Basket opening in Athol in 2015, one of the locations that helped fuel that spat that nearly took the company down, was the last nail in the coffin since Gardner itself was isolated for Stop & Shop.

I think that if Big Y had the appetite to do so, they would've taken more of the Ahold Delhaize rejects especially since they have more brand equity in that part of the Mid-Hudson Valley than Tops ever will. What they took was the most they could handle and even 18 months in most of those locations still look like Zombie Hannafords and that was a semi-cohesive unit versus a random collection of stores, two of which could've easily survived as-was.