Big Y

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

The Waterford, CT Big Y is closed.  They replaced a Shaw's store which only lasted a few years.  I guess it wasn't a good location for a supermarket.

XISMZERO

Here's a Super Big Y sign in Torrington Parkade in Torrington, CT (the former Ames plaza). The store itself doesn't say "Super" anymore, these are probably leftover from the early 90s. This store is being demolished for a bigger, newer store (or already is?).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

The new Big Y is about to open in Torrington. The old store will be demolished next month and replaced by a Lowe's.

http://rep-am.com/articles/2008/05/15/news/340782.txt

Anonymous

It is now open, it's very nice inside, the old section of the plaza is still standing, however not for very long.

CTAmeshopper

Hi it is me, I'm the previous anonymous poster from the last post on this thread, I'm going to have to say the new Big Y is very very very nice inside very rustic.

And before you ask NO I am not that anonymous person who hurled all those vile complaints about this forum, that guy was a jack.....*ahem* idiot, he should know better manners when posting on a forum.

The older part is still standing however Lowe's is supposed to replace the space in 2009, so it will not be standing there for very long.

Marc82

From one member to another, welcome to the site.  :-)

Joeg

Any news about any new Big Y's opening this year other then the new store that opened in Wilbraham in MA last week??

Big Y may have nice stores, but they are to expensive for my tastes.

Joeg

Big Y in East Hartford CT is closing it doors on Jan 15th 2009.

It is rumour 2 more stores will be closing around the same time.

momof3

Joeg

Yes I don't know which ones yet.

CTAmeshopper

the old Big Y in Torrington is now gone.

Joeg

No not that type of closing.  Big Y will close its East Hartford Store on Jan 15th.  I spoke to a vendor and there will be two more closing around the same time.

On a brighter note, they just held a Grand Opening of there Great Barrington MA store last week.

momof3

Keep us posted on which ones, hopefully not one near me....

CTAmeshopper

I highly doubt they'll close the new Big Y in Torrington that one just opened, I 'm guessing the lesser successful stores will be closing like a real old one or one that doesn't get a lot of customers. I bet Plainville will probably close that one is older and doesn't seem to get a lot of customers, plus it's in an area with a lot of empty buildings surrounding two large plazas and a car dealership. I'll miss it thought if it does close.

there's a lot of abandoned buildings there it looks so depressing.

Joeg

Well you never know.  I heard it will be the smaller type stores that will be closing, certanily not stores that have just opened.

Could be Mass stores??

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper
I highly doubt they'll close the new Big Y in Torrington that one just opened, I 'm guessing the lesser successful stores will be closing like a real old one or one that doesn't get a lot of customers. I bet Plainville will probably close that one is older and doesn't seem to get a lot of customers, plus it's in an area with a lot of empty buildings surrounding two large plazas and a car dealership. I'll miss it thought if it does close.

there's a lot of abandoned buildings there it looks so depressing.

The Plainville one isn't older unless you consider 15 years old as older. It replaced a much smaller store where Blockbuster/CVS is now.  As for the abandoned buildings just up the road from Big Y there are rumors that there's a 3 way bidding war for that property. The 3 are Walmart, BJs, and Home Depot.

I hope New Britain Ave. in Plainville sees more action. That's a fairly nice stretch, and the Connecticut Commons is a nice plaza. I remember when K Mart was in that plaza. That was a nice K Mart.

As for Big Y, I went to the Plainville store last December. It's a cute store and I can't see why it would do badly. Years back, my parents tried to shop here, but it was so packed and was so small that we ended up going to the Rocky Hill Big Y instead. The only choice in that area besides Big Y is the Stop and Shop in New Britain. Though I must say it was quite small. They would make good if they could move in to the old Shaw's in New Britain. It's a bit bigger and you could see the building from Route 9. Plus, that area of NB needs a little revival. I still don't have a clue why Shaw's pulled out of NB, and would also wonder why Big Y in Plainville would want to close up as well. I believe that Big Y doesn't like having small stores (their name says it all) and E. Hartford probably is too small for them. Although, I would think it would do well in E. Hartford.

BTW, I surely hope their Rocky Hill location doesn't go anywhere. I really never go there, but it looks to be a good store.

Joeg

Big Y has some smaller stores in Ct and Mass. i.e Stafford Springs, Plainfield, Ware, Ludlow and some towns I probably don't know.  For them to close a store (last one I think was the Waterford CT one?) either they are hurting for business or they are just going to focus on there more profitable stores only.  Every company goes thru this.

I highly doubt they would close a store like Rocky Hill or Enfield or any of the "World Class Markets".

momof3

Is Plainville a world class market???Can't remember.

Joeg

Yes it is.  It was the first World Class Market that Big Y opened in Ct in 1994.

CTAmeshopper

Oh, I thought the store was older.:boring:

momof3

Thank you, actually I was at the Plainville store yesterday and it was very busy.  And i did notice on the sign it said World Class Market.

Marc82

FOX 61 confirmed the closure of the East Hartford store on tonights news. They said they got the story from the Journal-Inquirer of Manchester. FOX also reported that the mayor is looking for a replacement grocery chain for the site.

http://www.journalinquirer.com/articles/2008/11/26/towns/east_hartford/doc492d6e02c566b406575942.txt

Joeg

It was in the Journal Inquirer yesterday.  Mayor Currey is in talks with supermaket chains including Price Chopper.

I think it may stay vacant for awhile.

Joeg

Other than Price Chopper, the mayor of East Hartford is talking to other supermarket chains to fill in the soon to be closed Big Y.

Would like to see Price Chopper, it may be to small for them, but East Hartford needs a full service supermarket on that side of town.

AmesNewington

Shop Rite should start expanding back in to CT (adding on to the stores they already have in CT). Shop Rite should think about the E. Hartford Big Y, and in addition to Middletown, they should look at Newington and/or Elmwood. (Newington is wishful thinking as always).

Joeg

Shop Rite is in Manchester, and I don't think they would take over the old Big Y(too close to there Manchester store).

Elmwood section of West Hartford has the new Price Rite that open in the old Caldors(I think).  

I think the Shop Rite of Manchester should move across the street to the old K-Mart.  Boy, that would be a huuuuuggge store for them (100,000.00 plus). Since I don't think Price Chopper will come to Manchester.  

So.. In my opioin(sic) Price Chopper would be the best fit for the soon to be close Big Y.  That part of town needs a full service supermarket (though Shop Rite would do great) not a Sav-a-Lot, Aldi, Price Rite or any other "limited store".

Big Y is the only supermarket in that part of town, and something should replace it soon, but....with enconomy in the tank ya never know!

How is Waldbaums doing in West Hartford?? any news on any new remodels? I see they converted a Food Empourim in Greenwhich into an A&P Fresh Market.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
Shop Rite is in Manchester, and I don't think they would take over the old Big Y(too close to there Manchester store).

Elmwood section of West Hartford has the new Price Rite that open in the old Caldors(I think).  

I think the Shop Rite of Manchester should move across the street to the old K-Mart.  Boy, that would be a huuuuuggge store for them (100,000.00 plus). Since I don't think Price Chopper will come to Manchester.  

So.. In my opioin(sic) Price Chopper would be the best fit for the soon to be close Big Y.  That part of town needs a full service supermarket (though Shop Rite would do great) not a Sav-a-Lot, Aldi, Price Rite or any other "limited store".

Big Y is the only supermarket in that part of town, and something should replace it soon, but....with enconomy in the tank ya never know!

How is Waldbaums doing in West Hartford?? any news on any new remodels? I see they converted a Food Empourim in Greenwhich into an A&P Fresh Market.

Waldbaum's is doing just fine. That store will never go anywhere unless A&P goes under. Think of how the supermarkets were full years back even on weekdays, and that's Waldbaum's. Of course, it's decieving because both the parking lot and store itself are rather small. Even with that said, West Hartford people do BIG shopping. Not so much a lot of items, rather high ticket items. A lot of housewares, and other non-food items go through as there is no Wal Mart or Target in WH. There is a Wal Mart in Avon though. Don't forget Kosher items are a big draw for Jewish customers. People come from as far as Fairfield county for weeks supplies of their Kosher items at Waldbaums as well as Crown Supermarket nearby. As far as remodels, you're right, Food Emporium in Greenwich was converted to A&P Fresh, and is now a part of the A&P division, and the Branford Foodmart was converted to A&P Fresh. Their strategy is to remodel the stores that are high volume. Middletown should be next in my opinion because of competition including Aldi and ShopRite moving in. I personally like Berlin the way it is (it's a nice store). I feel that Bridgeport should be closed. I saw pictures of it. It puts A&P to shame.

Anyway, back on topic, it's too bad no one will snatch up Big Y. Everybody needs to buy food and it's very inconvenient to waste gas and travel across town for food. It's too bad Waldbaum's/A&P wasn't planning on opening new stores with the Fresh concept. It would be a perfect fit for E. Hartford. You wouldn't believe all of the good things I ring out at the register.

And I'm not being rude in any way, but I'm sick of the Economy being the excuse for everything going wrong. How is the country going to get back to normal when businesses keep closing? New jobs are needed. Big Y closing was not because of the Economy. Companies make decisions based upon what they feel is best for their business. I do believe that spot in E. Hartford is viable and on the report I heard, the store was actually a fairly busy store, just not big enough.

Well, we'll see what happens.

Joeg

Good Thoughts.  I have some more news on other Big Y stores closings.

Boston Rd Springfield
St James Ave Springfield
May St Woscter(sic) Mass.
and East Hartford CT.

So far these are the four stores that are closing. Big news is that I know someone that works for Big Y and they are going to be laying off tons of people in the near future.  They are having a biiiiggg meeting next month and I think that is when the axe will be falling.

Your right, most compaines use the excuse of the Economy as the reason they are restructring or closing stores etc etc.

Companies go thru these things every year.  New England is a very competive are in regards to grocery stores. Big Y has not been able to compete with there high price/high image.

Yes there stores are nice looking and such, but when was the last time you saw Coke or Pepsi 4/10?? or coffee at 2/3??

momof3

Their Buy 1 get 2 free sales are good though.

Joeg

Not really.  It depends on the products that are BOG2FREE.

If you notice it is always the same things.  It just like BOGO.

When was the last time Big Y ran a half price sale??

They appeal to a certain type of clientele(sic), not the people who go to Shop Rite or Aldi's or Save-a-Lot.

Once again, to pricey for me.