Big Y

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

I know this chain used to be called Super Big Y changed name shortened length of Y

Its a good store NOT AS BORING as our Stop & Shop CHECK OUT THE CANDY SNACK SECTION

reason for naming original store located at a fork in shape of a "Y"

heres the recent logo

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

heres the old storefront (small pic) compared to new (big pic)

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

is anyone gonna respond?

Rayco7030

now big y world class markets

i go there for a little shopping

but my mojm does her main shopping at super stop and shop:roll::bouncing::bounce:

hey its only fair you guys do all the head rolling  hee hee
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

JimSawhill

Big Y was a store I used to work in. Good store and I miss the food courts in the SUPERMARKETS in New England. Food Courts (and supermarket branches) aren't in stores here. Food Prices are HIGH in Florida!!!!

storehistoryguy

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
is anyone gonna respond?

Most Big Ys are around Springfield MAssachusetts. They started in I believe longmeadow or Chicopee. They started in Chicopee. Most of their stores are 64,000 square feet and a lot of them were next to an Ames, like in PAlmer Mass, East Longmeadow MAss, Southwick mass etc. There were some in northern  connecticut.

storehistoryguy

A Big Y near a King's in the 1960's!

DutchessMallMan

I recently was looking for some new grocery store pictures or information to add to the posts for the grocery store threads and found this cool flyer. It is a cut out from the January store flyer, and it describes Big Y's 70 anniversary this year. I thought it would be cool to add to this thread. Enjoy.

PS = Sorry about the files there are three separtate pictures because my scanner would not work I had to break it down into 3 medium quality pics. Here is 1 of 3.

DutchessMallMan

Here is the first half of the article.

DutchessMallMan

Here is the second half of the article. (final picture)
Enjoy.

Happy Birthday Big Y!

BillyGr

Here are shots of a few Big Y's:

The first 2 are the store in Pittsfield (about a block from the "green".  It's a fairly good sized store - has a pharmacy and a liquor store inside as well.

The 3rd is the store in Adams on Route 8 - this is a smaller store and an interesting one with the upper level (offices, I guess?) .

The last is the store in North Adams on Route 2.  It is average size, bigger than Adams, slightly smaller than Pittsfield.

All of these stores have been as they are at least 10-15 years (probably more) with only minor changes (the Pittsfield ones used to be white, for example).

Marc82

Big Y had a tiny little store at the intersection of Farmington Ave, Woodford Ave, and Route 10 in Plainville, Connecticut. It was in a former Greenfield's  Supermarket location. In 1993 or 1994 they opened World Class Big Y a few miles down the street in a brand new plaza on New Britain Ave (Route 372). On my birthday I was trying to convince my friend that we should get some of their pizza because we were short on money, but he said he hated their pizza (he's Sicillian) and we ended up going to Applebee's instead, so I ened up paying more than half of the bill.

There are rumors BIG Y will be building a store on Route 229 (West Street) in Southington.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Big Y had a tiny little store at the intersection of Farmington Ave, Woodford Ave, and Route 10 in Plainville, Connecticut. It was in a former Greenfield's  Supermarket location

Oh man, you remember Greenfield's?! We used to shop there all the time. I remember asking my dad what "Big Y" was when they went out of business. Funny thing is that the Blockbuster in the left half of the former Greenfields building still has that weird looking honeycomb wall.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

big y under  construction in a town near bethel ct, as of july 21, 206.

d_fife

d_fife

big y in manchester CT

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
big y in manchester CT

manchester ct

d_fife

big y in manchester CT

manchester ct

big y sign in manchester ct

d_fife

big y in east windsor CT next to wal-mart.

d_fife

big y in east windsor CT next to wal-mart.

sign in east windsor-

d_fife

big y in avon ct in the wal-mart plaza

d_fife

big y in plainville ct across the plainville commons

d_fife

big y in plainville ct across the plainville commons

plainville ct sign

d_fife

big y in east hartford in the northern part

d_fife

big y in rocky hill ct

Marc82

BIG Y open 2 new stores in CT over the last few months - Ellington and Guilford. No word yet on whether or not they'll move in the former Shaw's in Southington or not.  (They probably won't. They'll say it's too close to their Plainville store). Even if they do, they can't do anything until 2007. Shaw's still has a lease until either December 31, 2006 or March 31, 2007. The whole store needs to be completely gutted before anything moves in there, grocery store or not.

JimSawhill

That Big Y was (in the 1960s) a Mammouth Mart, then Mars and then Finast (moved to that space) and when Stop & Shop bought Edwards/Finast they sold that store to BigY. It is still a nice store.

JimS

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill

That Big Y was (in the 1960s) a Mammouth Mart, then Mars and then Finast (moved to that space) and when Stop & Shop bought Edwards/Finast they sold that store to BigY. It is still a nice store.

JimS

So you remember Mars too? I must've been about 4 or 5 when they closed.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

JimSawhill

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill

JimS

So you remember Mars too? I must've been about 4 or 5 when they closed.

Ximszero:

I remember Mamouth Mart!! I'm 48 -- and I remembered a Mamouth Mart in Wolfboro, NH. I also rememered when the Manchester king's Department Store was located in the Cheney Mills complex.

Jim Sawhill