Big Y

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momof3

Joeg, For me the Buy 1 get 2 free is a good deal when it is something I will use.  For instance strawberries or laundry detergent.  I have 3 kids so I do alot of laundry (ha ha)
No they haven't had a 1/2 price sale in a long time, but I do find their stuff to be very fresh.  Do you really think they are more pricey than Stop & Shop????I know the S7S near me has gone up on alot of things.

Joeg

Well it depends on where you live. And yes Big Y has gone over the top with there prices.  I can see detergent and paper towels are good at BOG2 Free, but for regular shopping, no ,to pricey for me.  Stop & Shop has come a long way in lower there prices, and they are alot cheaper than Big Y of even Shaws on some things.  Shop Rite is an always will be the low price leader in CT as a mainline supermaket.

It just to bad that they don't have more stores in Connecticut.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg

May St Woscter(sic) Mass.

So far these are the four stores that are closing.

Dang man. Worcester just lost one of their Shaw's store in 06. Now they're losing Big Y too. Wow.

Joeg

Marc82

Wow indeed!!

I was surprise to see that they are closing their Boston Rd Springfield store, because that was there first World Class Market that they opened in 1993.  May St in Worcester was a built from the ground up store.  2 World Class Markets closing is not a good sign for Big Y.

I think big changes will be happening in the next few months.

Marc, you said Bristol Shaws would be closing, is that true??

I really hope they remodel Manchester CT soon!

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
Marc82
Marc, you said Bristol Shaws would be closing, is that true??

Here are the facts. A friend of mine I worked with at the now-defunct Southington Shaw's came through my line at Walmart the other day. (He transfered to Bristol after Southington closed). I asked him how the Bristol Shaw's was doing. He told me the store is not doing well and corporate has been talking about closing the store, but they had yet to make a decision, but they had mentioned February 2009 as a possible closure date.

As with anything else - WE SHALL SEE. *sigh*

Joeg

as of next thursday, there will not be a Big Y in East Hartford anymore.  They are no longer taking checks, cash and charge only.

Joeg

Some more news about Big Y.  They had there meeting and it was on Fox 61 that they laid off over 400 employees!!.  Training and new store development are laid off, plus no more frozen foods or floral managers, they were laid off too.

Also, another Big Y will be closing in Ware MA.

momof3

That is a shame, companies are laying off people left and right.  I know some of you don't care for Big Y because they seem pricey but I do like them alot.  I guess its all about what you buy and if you can use the BOGO.

Joeg

momof3

I don't think it is a question about wether people like Big Y or not.  I been in this business for many years and I remember Big Y when they were a competior in the supermarket business.  But they decide to go this high quaility/high price image many years ago, and it work to some degree.  But with today's economy, people can't afford to pay their prices anymore.  The economy has had its ups and downs over many years, and don't forget the late 70's and early 80's when inflation was close to 20%, people went were they could afford to shop. A&P, Grand Union suffered then because they were to high priced, and they fell by the wayside.

Big Y will survive, and they will come back, but the public percieves(sic) them to be to high priced and wether they have BOG2free or BOGO it just doesn't matter anymore.

This is why ALDI's and Price Rite's and Sav-a-Lot's are doing extremley well whatever the economy is doing.

wwefan101

i used to like big y but  they got to high price wise plus  ther  a 30 min drive from me  its easyer for me to drive 2 mins to price chopper  or shaws wich are with a mile  of me

momof3

Joeg, Good point.

The thing I find strange is every time I go by the Aldis here in town it looks dead.  I have shopped Aldis and they do have very good prices, maybe i am just by there at an off time.
I also see people shopping for groceries at Walmart more so too.

produceboy

Big Y has been hurting for a company for more than a year. They spent 22 million dollars rebuilding the Great Barrington Big Y and less than 3 months later bussiness is only half of what they estimated. They already combined all their departments like all the other stores. Seafood is now run by Meat. Haba/GM, Frozen, Dairy are all run by the Grocery Manager. Deli now runs the prepared foods. Managers have been demoted to clerks in the combined departments and full timers have been laid off to make room.  This is why for the last year Big Y has had a campaign going company wide pleading with employees and even threating to sell the company if a union was allowed to enter. They new this was coming and if a union was in house it would not be permitted. They claim to be family run but yet they stabbed over 400 hundred long time employees in the back. People should just forget the high prices and shop elsewhere!

Joeg

ProduceBoy

Wow! you hit the nail on the head. Welcome to the board.

You are so right about Big Y. The Journal Inquirer in Manchester CT had an article in Saturday's paper about Big Y laying off their "dedicated employees".  I did not know that they were threatning to close/sell the company if the employees voted for a union.

What other fallout do you see happening?? more store clousres(sic)???

CTAmeshopper

Wow.

I never knew that about them. :o

wwefan101

big y lies they  had ther swis cheese marked 6.99 a pound and charged us 8 somthing per pound wich ant right

gu4ever

I've seen a Big Y supermarket before, but this was the first time I stopped to snap a picture of the sign on the store front. I was harassed by my friends I went to the corral with, they said "will the camera work on a supermarket other then Grand Union"?!!
Aren't they just funny! :no:
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Bdubs

QuoteOriginally posted by produceboy
Big Y has been hurting for a company for more than a year. They spent 22 million dollars rebuilding the Great Barrington Big Y and less than 3 months later bussiness is only half of what they estimated. They already combined all their departments like all the other stores. Seafood is now run by Meat. Haba/GM, Frozen, Dairy are all run by the Grocery Manager. Deli now runs the prepared foods. Managers have been demoted to clerks in the combined departments and full timers have been laid off to make room.  This is why for the last year Big Y has had a campaign going company wide pleading with employees and even threating to sell the company if a union was allowed to enter. They new this was coming and if a union was in house it would not be permitted. They claim to be family run but yet they stabbed over 400 hundred long time employees in the back. People should just forget the high prices and shop elsewhere!

I'm guessing this guy works for Big Y.  Sad they had to lay off the people who built the company and brought it to the standards it is today.  It truly was a great place to work.  Unfortunately, in these times, these companies can't absorb their losses, such as a huge company like Stop & Shop, and even Shaw's.

I was informed just last week that by the first quarter of '10 that stores will close, buyouts will be given to employees who have long tenure, and layoffs will be given.  This may be a scare tactic to get the employees into a buyout plan, but anything is possible in this economy.

Bdubs

On another note...anyone remember the OLD Big Y in Norwich?  Just over the train tracks in norwichtown, before they located next to Walmart on Rt. 82?

That place was a pit.  Even being a young'n I can remember it being really old and dumpy.

standa

standa

How is the new West Hartford, CT Big Y ?  Is it better than the former Waldbaum's or not?

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: standa on November 11, 2010, 11:35:53 AM
How is the new West Hartford, CT Big Y ?  Is it better than the former Waldbaum's or not?

I saw the Waldbaum's now Big Y on a taxi ride from Hartford to Torrington after a day at IOL (Institute of Living) it looks the same except for the tan repaint and a red Big Y logo on it, I'm not sure how it looks on the inside though.  :)

ynkeesfn82

BIG Y is negotiating to move into the former Shoprite at 533 South Broad Street in Meriden, CT. The Drust's moved that Shoprite into the former Wallingford Shaw's in June of 2010.

retailisking

The Springfield, MA-based grocer takes the loyalty card to the next level.  It will be interesting to see how many shoppers go for it.  Reactions so far are very mixed.  At least they're offering a money-back guarantee.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-big-y-discount-club-20110330,0,4074800.story

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=147780

standa

However, Big Y will be closing a store in Worcester, MA.

retailisking

retailisking

It was inevitable, I guess, but I give Big Y credit for trying something new.  After all, these loyalty programs cost money to administer.

retailisking

Big Y celebrates 75 years of local tastes and ‘World Class’ service
http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/generation_3/?cid=upd

ynkeesfn82

BIG Y opened its new store in Meriden, Connecticut at 533 South Broad Street on Thursday,