Main Menu

Brooks

Started by AmesNewington, July 20, 2005, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
Brooks on Newport Avenue in Rumford RI. This building used to house both a J C Best carpet center and a Douglas Drugs. The red roofed building in the background is a closed Bickfords that I believe is going to be demolished.

that COULD be a CVS too. DAMN DAMN DAMN corporations!
JN

TRJ22487

I had an ex that used to work at the Brooks in Nashua and Milford and for no reason all her coworkers were really biased against me and tried to do things to make me look bad and break us up. Whenever I think of Brooks I always think of how much I wish I didn't have to pick her up there

Zayre88

Former Brooks in Waterville, ME.

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by TRJ22487
I had an ex that used to work at the Brooks in Nashua and Milford and for no reason all her coworkers were really biased against me and tried to do things to make me look bad and break us up. Whenever I think of Brooks I always think of how much I wish I didn't have to pick her up there
In nashua was it on main street?

Zayre88

Brooks Pharmacy in Portsmouth NH in 2007 just before the change to Rite Aid.  This location used to be an Osco Drug.  Rite Aid moved across the street, the place is now a Petco.

Zayre88

Former Brooks in downtown Rochester NH (became Ben Franklin Crafts)

Zayre88

Brooks at Rochester Marketplace back in 2006.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Former Brooks in Waterville, ME.

It became a Goodwill store:

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
bangor me union st near 95

Picture of the same location:

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Former Brooks in downtown Rochester NH (became Ben Franklin Crafts)

The old old Wal-Mart near my old home became a "Bud's Discount City", then Ben Franklin Crafts, then Big Lots.

C. Fontaine

I used to drive by Brook's headquarters in Warwick, RI often when going to college.

Zayre88

A Brooks basket at Marden's in Waterville ME.

reitelle

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
Brooks on Newport Avenue in Rumford RI. This building used to house both a J C Best carpet center and a Douglas Drugs. The red roofed building in the background is a closed Bickfords that I believe is going to be demolished.

I've been to that one when would be in the Rumford area for that really nice pet store, I think it's simply called Rumford Pets but I can't remember; it's been years!
Also, I lived in the Warren/Bristol area for years and I remember going to Brooks all the time, it's a shame they are changing to Rite Aid... I've never even seen a Rite Aid before.

reitelle

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
As of 2 weeks ago, all of the Brooks/Eckerd Pharmacy stores are now Rite Aid Pharmacy stores.
:saint:

The Eckerds we had here in Florida turned into a CVS

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
The only store I know of that has changed the outside signs to Rite Aid is the former Brook's store in New Britain CT.

That one has since closed as is currently up for sale.

jmcnamara96

Pic1 Hudson NH on Lowell RD
Pic2 Andover Mass
Property Company Pictures

Zayre88

Former Brooks in Gardiner Maine, became a Family Dollar:

Zayre88

Former Brooks in Bangor, ME

retailisking

Jean Coutu failed to successfully integrate Eckerd with Brooks.  Unfortunately for PJC they took a 32% stake in Rite Aid when they sold off Brooks/Eckerd.  They will take a bath if Rite Aid goes Chapter 11 as many expect them to do.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on October 29, 2011, 07:39:26 PM
Jean Coutu failed to successfully integrate Eckerd with Brooks.  Unfortunately for PJC they took a 32% stake in Rite Aid when they sold off Brooks/Eckerd.  They will take a bath if Rite Aid goes Chapter 11 as many expect them to do.

When Jean Coutu only operated Brooks, it looked like everything was fine.  It turned sour with the Eckerd deal.  They probably should have kept Brooks and keep growing at a steady pace instead of buying another large chain.

retailisking

Integration, it turns out, is a very hard thing for retailers to master.  Rite Aid has had great trouble digesting the Brooks/Eckerd acquisition.  Rite Aid has generated bulk (# of retail locations) without generating profitability.  CVS, on the other hand, could teach a master class on integration.

That said, are there that many regionals left?  Kinney Drugs is the only one of any size that I can recall.  LaVerdiere's sold out to Rite Aid in 1994 after chain pharmacy competition heated up and Maine's blue laws were repealed (LV was big on general and seasonal merchandise in addition to the usual pharmacy and HBA items.)  Likewise, PJC must have determined that they had to seize the opportunity to grow or get swallowed up or crushed.  In the end the result was the same.

retailisking

The former Brooks in Littleton, NH is still vacant (as is the entire strip center attached to it) and the label scar is still very visible. Rite Aid built a new freestanding location next door a few years ago.

ynkeesfn82

The Brooks on Divinity Street in the West End of Bristol, Connecticut is still vacant along with the attached former Pats Marketplace Supermarket (formerly a very small Waldbaum's Foodmart. Bristol had 2 other locations:

Pine Plaza on Pine Street in the Forestville section of Bristol. - The entire plaza (except the movie theater and bank) was bulldozed in the early 90s and replaced by a new plaza - The Forestville Commons. Super Stop & Shop and they had their own pharmacy so that's why Brooks wasn't allowed to be in the new plaza.

Bristol Commons Farmington Ave (Route 6). Brooks briefly opened in the Bristol Commons when they built an addition onto the plaza in the early 90s. They closed claiming they could not compete with then-Arrow Pharmacy inside the Shaw's Supermarket nearby. (I don't remember about the other Shaw's, but when Bristol Shaw's opened they had Arrow Pharmacy a local pharmacy chain. They it became Shaw's Pharmacy before Shaw's changed it to Osco Pharmacy). The Brooks in the Bristol Commons is now a Sleepy's Mattress showroom. 

ynkeesfn82

retailisking

Former Brooks/Rite Aid in the Rochester (NH) Market Place (owned by a company controlled by anchor Market Basket) now vacant, but with ample clues as to its former use. Rite Aid built a huge freestanding location across the street.

vwnut13

In St. Johnsbury, Vermont...

Rite-Aid moved from their large freestanding location to the old Brooks location (formerly Butson's Supermarket). 

Kinney Drugs moved into the old Rite Aid location.

Quote from: retailisking on April 10, 2012, 06:19:29 PM
The former Brooks in Littleton, NH is still vacant (as is the entire strip center attached to it) and the label scar is still very visible. Rite Aid built a new freestanding location next door a few years ago.

To clarify, The Rite Aid was built before Brooks went out.

retailisking

Quote from: vwnut13 on April 17, 2012, 10:09:04 PM
To clarify, The Rite Aid was built before Brooks went out.

Good point. Did Rite Aid's presence in Littleton and St. Jay date back to their acquisition of LaVerdiere's?

Rite Aid tends to leave "white elephants" in its wake, don't they. There are two of them in the Portland, ME area alone.

ynkeesfn82

The former Divinity Street Brooks in Bristol, Connecticut is still empty, but Dollar General took part of the adjacent former Waldbaum's. They have paper covering the windows, but in spots its falling down and you can see inside a little. It still looks like Brooks. And on an inside door it says "Thank-you for shopping at Brooks."

Eventually there will be 3 stores here. Dollar General only took part of the former Waldbaums, but from the outside you can't tell there's a spot for another store in-between Dollar General and the former Brooks. There is a conceptual drawing in the window of the former Brooks that shows another space in the middle.

BillyGr

Quote from: vwnut13 on April 17, 2012, 10:09:04 PM
In St. Johnsbury, Vermont...

Rite-Aid moved from their large freestanding location to the old Brooks location (formerly Butson's Supermarket). 

Kinney Drugs moved into the old Rite Aid location.

This sounds like it might have been one of the locations that they were required to sell off one of the stores as part of the merger (particularly if they left a freestanding store for a former supermarket - though that may be a freestanding building also?).

There were just a couple locations like that in NY (where Rite Aid and Eckerd were the only drug stores) and this was required - Kinney took one of those also (Lake Placid) and eventually built their own new store to replace the strip mall Eckerd.  The other I know of became a Medicine Shoppe and has since closed.