Main Menu

Brooks

Started by AmesNewington, July 20, 2005, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Brook's is a nice pharmacy. They have good service, nice stores, and a good assortment of merchandise. They beat out CVS. The Newington, CT store was built in 2003 and was the old historical Newington theater. It was a great replacement. Another great Brook's is New-Britain CT on Stanley Street.

store215

The company that owns Brooks (a French-Canadian company I believe that also has a different Rx chain there), also owns Eckerd now. They haven't really done much with Eckerd yet though, besides getting rid of "junk" like DVD movies and closing one or two older stores.

Zayre88

I worked for "Jean Coutu" wich is the company that owns Brook's.

The company acquired Brooks then acquired some Osco Drug in New England and renamed them Brooks.  They now have a big part of Eckerd and CVS acquired the rest.

store215

Eckerd pretty much uses the same ad as Brooks is using with only a few product changes.

(And for whatever reason, the Eckerd ads still say they accept JC Penney cards on the back even though I know they no longer accept)

d_fife

this brooks is in methuen mass where OSco was in the merrimack plaza

from http://www.senateconstruction.com/projects/merrimack.shtml

Crawford

Years ago this store was owned by the same company that owned Adams Drugs, I remember the advertisements had the name of Adams/Brooks Drugs. I don't know what point Brooks bought out Adams, probably in the 80's. Also, Brooks bought out the Douglas Drugs chain here in RI about 10 years ago. Now, there is pretty much a Brooks within a stone throw of CVS.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

BillyGr

The Bennington, VT store - it is in the left part of the building with a video store in the right - an interesting store as it fronts on Route 7, but also has a small back entrance (with parking for about 5 vehicles) on the back street near the pharmacy.  You can drive through from back to front (along the left side) but can't go back - and no drive thru for the pharmacy.

BillyGr

These stores are all in Mass.

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd are all Pittsfield stores - 1st is on Route 7/20 heading to the south of downtown (and sits right on the street, so I got a side shot from the parking lot).  2nd is the store on the main street towards the north end of the street.  3rd is the store in Allendale Plaza (corner of Rt 8 & 9).  All are fairly standard stores, none have drive thrus and all have been there at least 10 years (probably longer).

4th is the store in Adams - a small old mill town - they have a McDonalds, Big Y and Brooks - that's about it.  

5th, 6th and 7th are in North Adams - The 5th is a former store in a plaza with a (Former) Kmart - this entrance faces a parking lot, they also had an entrance on the main street.  The 6th is a new free-standing store that replaced it (on Route 2 next to Big Y).  The 7th is another store on Route 2, closer to Williamstown, in what is a 99% A&P (while I don't know that for certain, it sure looks like that).

Marc82

Briefly they had 3 stores in Bristol, Connecticut. Now they have none. They were located in the A&P Plaza on Pine Street, next to the outdated Waldbaums on Divinity Street, and in Caldor Plaza.

The one at Caldor Plaza closed first. After being open less than 2 years. Then the one in the A&P Plaza closed when they ripped down the plaza. They were not part of the new plaza becuase the Super Stop & Shop they built has a pharmacy in it.  Brooks closed down a couple years after the Waldbaums did. I don't think Brooks co-existed with the shortlived supermarket that took over Waldbaums.

d_fife

brooks in watertown ct in marshalls plaza

d_fife

hamden ct and one of the modern designs

d_fife

bangor me union st near 95

d_fife

brooks in merideth nh

d_fife

old brooks in laconia nh

d_fife

new brooks in old rite aid in laconia nh and a year after it opened in this location, the one across the street (the picture above) closed

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
new brooks in old rite aid in laconia nh and a year after it opened in this location, the one across the street (the picture above) closed

old rite aid one in laconia nh

d_fife

the one in bangor / brewer maine line.

Marc82

Went to the Brooks on the corner of Dale Road/Route 44 in Avon, Connecticut. I think it's  kind of weird that the store closes at 5PM on Sundays. (Then again the CVS in Bernie's Plaza in Southington closes at 6, I think).

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

Gee, I wonder if they kept the Rite Aid signs so they can put them back up after Rite Aid takes over Brooks/Eckerd later this year?

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Gee, I wonder if they kept the Rite Aid signs so they can put them back up after Rite Aid takes over Brooks/Eckerd later this year?

Heh heh. I thought CVS purchased the remaining bulk of Eckerd locations... Either way, Brooks, Walgreens and CVS are all copying from each other's playbooks especially with the similar building styles. Remember when all these pharmacy stores used to be cozy and small?
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

My mom didn't realize that Eckard's and Brooks were one in the same and was surprised to see Eckard brand stuff at Brooks on Sunday.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
My mom didn't realize that Eckard's and Brooks were one in the same and was surprised to see Eckard brand stuff at Brooks on Sunday.

They used to have a location in a now demolished strip mall beside the former Forestville Theater, right? That one was really small...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
They used to have a location in a now demolished strip mall beside the former Forestville Theater, right? That one was really small...

Yes.

BillyGr

Here are a couple shots from Great Barrington, MA

The 1st two are the store in downtown (Main Street) - as you can see this one is quite old (with the orange letters and all) and relatively smaller.

The last shot is the store in the plaza with Big Y and the former Ames - it isn't terribly large, but a bit bigger (maybe).

frameguy2704

Rite Aid bought out Brooks and they are closing stores. the Brooks in Coventry RI is closing, that is all that I know of as of now.

MikeRa

As of 2 weeks ago, all of the Brooks/Eckerd Pharmacy stores are now Rite Aid Pharmacy stores.
:saint:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

C. Fontaine

I can't believe it, I've seen the banners hanging on all of the brooks stores!

AmesNewington

Rite Aid is slowly making the transition. The only store I know of that has changed the outside signs to Rite Aid is the former Brook's store in New Britain CT. I've seen stores in Newington, Montville/Flanders, and Wethersfield CT with the Brook's signs still up and the Rite Aid banners on the building. Since Brook's is the pharmacy my family gets our prescriptions from, I've seen the inside of the Newington store and the prescription labels. So far the outside building design is pretty much the same, and the inside still looks the same, which is understandable. And merchandise still contains the Brook's square price tag on things like food/candy, etc. The receipts still read Brook's Pharmacy with a tag line on the bottom that reads 'Brooks is now Rite Aid'.
What has changed so far is that they now sell Rite Aid brand products, and they use Rite Aid bags now. As far as prescriptions are concerned, the prescription bags have changed, but the name label is still the same one Brook's used, and it looks as if the information pamphlets included with the prescription have just been replaced with the Rite Aid logo. I suspect that Rite Aid is making this transition very smooth and easy so no one is turned off by the change.

frameguy2704

I know they have changed the Brooks signs over to Rite Aid at the one in Narrragansett and in Coventry  both  in RI ( Coventry had 2 Brooks within 5 minutes of each other. they are in process of closing the smaller one now.

Crawford

Brooks on Newport Avenue in Rumford RI. This building used to house both a J C Best carpet center and a Douglas Drugs. The red roofed building in the background is a closed Bickfords that I believe is going to be demolished.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor