Main Menu

University Mall, South Burlington

Started by C. Fontaine, December 30, 2010, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Somone just sent over these awesome shots of the university mall Ames!  and a Zayre shot from 1980!

Thanks Jamie Polli!

TRJ22487

What a blast! I haven't been to this mall in about 10 years so those pics are still the way I last saw it...surprised to see a Grand Opening picture after all of the Store Closing pics we've been so accustomed to. Wonder what year it opened??

TRJ22487

Ahh...I just looked through the store locator....now a Kohl's.
I HATE KOHLS as a vintage dept store fan...
I can think of several former Ames that had kept the facades of the store they bought out
Whether it was Zayre or Rich's, then places like Kohl's, Peebles, etc come in and totally destroy the facade

Great pictures though, great to see they keep popping up

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: TRJ22487 on January 04, 2011, 05:42:32 AM
Ahh...I just looked through the store locator....now a Kohl's.
I HATE KOHLS as a vintage dept store fan...
Whether it was Zayre or Rich's, then places like Kohl's, Peebles, etc come in and totally destroy the facade
Well, I'm quite used to it, since it happened in my area once, in 1998. The Prange Way discount store at East Town Mall in Green Bay, Wisconsin closed its doors with the entire chain in 1995. Kohl's relocated from a smaller store on the east end of the mall to a bigger location on the west end of the mall. I do agree that Kohl's has a boring layout on the inside, and as a department store, a poor selection of items compared to the likes of JCPenney or Sears. KOHLS?!!!...more like DUHL'S!!! The stores aren't that architecturally attractive, like you said. I know there are a lot of people who would like to see stores like Zayre or Ames again, but, as Dr. "Bones" McCoy from Star Trek would put it: "They're dead, Jim!"