A MALL WITH NO SKYLIGHTS?

Started by Jag67, April 20, 2005, 02:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag67

Anonymous

76fanAmesmanBBTB

???:huh:

Why are the pics so dark? IS THAT HOW ITS ACTUALLY LIGHTED HOW OLD IS THIS MALL?

Jag67

Yes, the mall is quite dark, which is quite common to older malls such as this one. Partially this is because there aren't many lights, and partially because I took these pics at nite. But even if I took them in the day, they wouldn't be very different, trust me . Sorry if the darkness bothered you.

And the mall was built in 1971.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Does the place at LEAST have skylights?

SHEESH WHO WOULD WANT TO SHOP IN A DARK MALL?

THEY NEED TO UPDATE THEIR LIGHTING!

BTW I'M NOT ANONYMOUS ANYMORE!

I'm formerly named 76fanAmesmanBBTB

changed my name slightly

did you check out my signature?

Jag67

Yes, the mall does have skylights.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Yes, the mall does have skylights.

AND ITS STILL DARK DURING THE DAY?

Caldor1999

k this is the Jefferson Valley Mall in Yorktown NY  this mall keeps on losing small stores its ancored by a Sears wichs always has the heat on lol and a verey Out Dated Macys and closed Service Merchandise half of the space was turned into H&M this mall is dieing a slow death hears the old service Merchandise this store closedin 1999 along with many outher store across the contrye due to the ch11 fileing
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hears were the old logo use to stand
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

hgears SM from anouther view
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and the retro Macys this macys had a tan carpeting and brow and gold walls
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

sweeet I love outdated stores lol:bouncing:

amesman

Actually, when I went to Eastern Hills Mall in 2003, it was quite bright in there. Me and my Mom are friends with a family who lives in West Seneca, and they brought me to this mall, as well as Boulevard Mall, Main Place Mall, and of course, the Walden Galleria. Is there a link to this expansion project that people are talking about? Thanks

Jag67

I took a few pics of the Penney's and Kauffmann's stores at the Boulevard. Did you see them? I would've taken more but ran out of time (Spent too much time fiddling around with cameras at K-Mart and going shopping with two females didn't help) but I will get some soon. I also plan on getting some pics of Galleria too. This mall is easy to get pics of because it's never busy!! I would get interior shots of Main Place but they dont allow them and they have security cameras every 5 feet:mad:.

As for lighting, some parts of the mall are brighter than others. the sears corridor and the center court are the brightest, the Food Court and the Penneys corridor are the darkest (Probably due to the closed stores in that wing!!):bouncing:

amesman

Yes, I remember the food court being dark..heh. Yes, it'd be cool to see pics of the Galleria. Dick's Sporting Goods has bought Galyan's, and they will probably be turning the store into a Dick's Sporting Goods, on one of the levels. Also, is the Lord and Taylor still open? I am asking, because many of them have closed, including the one in Albany, at Crossgates :(

Also, everything about the Boulevard Mall that you mentioned, I have seen, and I have been to the Main Place Mall. I actually managed to sneak a food court picture..lol. Also, I have heard of another "mall" downtown. Can you clarify this? Thanks.

jmn3

Galyan's at Walden Galleria changed over to a Dick's a few  months back.  They closed the old Dick's on Union Road at that time as well.  It basically looks just like Galyan's used to inside, two levels, rock climbing wall, etc.  Lord & Taylor is still there and from what I've read, May has no plans to close the Buffalo location.  Of course, Federated may have other plans when they take over all of the May stores.  Rumors have circled that all of the Kaufmann's will become Macy's eventually and that it's possible Federated will keep L&T or change them to Bloomingdale's.  

Here's an article from the Buffalo News about the upcoming expansion at the mall:
Walden Galleria plans ambitious expansion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Restaurants, theaters part of new addition

By SHARON LINSTEDT
News Staff Reporter
4/20/2005  

The region's largest and most popular shopping destination is preparing to add "dining and entertainment hot spot" to its resume.
The Walden Galleria in Cheektowaga is expected soon to unveil an ambitious expansion - with a price topping $50 million - to make room for a stable of upscale national restaurants that includes Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory and Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy.

The mall's venture will include a state-of-the-art, 18-screen cinema complex, plus other new tenants offering an array of activities such as pool and arcade games.

A new parking deck is also part of the project.

Syracuse-based Pyramid Cos., which owns Western New York's largest retail complex, has been contemplating a major expansion since 1998. The developer filed a revised blueprint in 2000 that called for a 650,000-square-foot, tri-level addition, which also focused on food and fun, but those plans never became reality.

A fresh proposal, which is expected to be made public in the next few weeks, would see a two-story addition on the southeast side of the mall.

The new wing, which will be easily visible from the Thruway, will have a facade that resembles a village streetscape. This design will give patrons direct access to the restaurants and offer outdoor dining options, and is in keeping with a national trend to add "lifestyle center" elements to traditional enclosed malls.

Galleria General Manager James L. Soos declined to comment on the expected proposal, but has reiterated Pyramid's interest in expanding the Galleria over the past five years.

Cheektowaga Supervisor Dennis H. Gabryszak confirmed he's talked with Pyramid about expansion plans, but declined to reveal specifics.

"It's going to be unlike anything we've seen in this area when it comes to retail construction," Gabryszak said. "It's going to be dynamic architecture. It will not look like the exterior of a mall."

Creating a cluster of high-profile food and entertainment tenants fits with a national trend among newer and larger malls, said Patrice Duker, spokeswoman for the International Council of Shopping Centers.

"It's certainly something we've seen over the past couple of years. A solid offering of dining and entertainment adds to the overall draw of the center. It allows a mall to be more things to more people," Duker said.

She noted that Cheesecake Factory is one of the country's hottest restaurant tenants.

"They are definitely a coveted tenant because there aren't very many of them out there and they do great numbers, averaging about $1,000 a square foot in sales (per year)," she added.

A typical regional mall tenant's sales averaged $366 per square foot per year in 2005.

This would be the first upstate New York location for the California restaurant chain, which operates 92 eateries. Its 200-item, book-like menus include items ranging from sandwiches and salads to steaks and seafood, as well as its trademark cheesecake selections.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is a nationally acclaimed purveyor of the traditional steak dinner, plus other comfort foods. The Louisiana chain of 85 upscale restaurants in 30 states and Canada includes two restaurants in the New York City area and one in suburban Toronto.

Abuelo's restaurant would be the first in New York for the chain, which currently operates 18 sites and plans to add seven more in 2005. The Texas company, whose name means "grandfather" in Spanish, specializes in the cuisine of the Mexican interior. Prices at the casual restaurant range from $10 to $15.

Gabryszak said Pyramid has been quietly reworking the expansion plans it submitted in 2000.

"They have taken their time, but it will be worth the wait," Gabryszak said. "This is going to give people a whole new reason to go to the Galleria. It's still going to be the area's top shopping destination, but now people will go there for great food, too."

At a current 1.6 million square feet, the Galleria is the area's largest mall, attracting more than 19 million visitors a year to its 200-plus tenants.

While other Buffalo area malls have upgraded their facilities to compete with the Cheektowaga retail center, the Galleria has maintained its edge with several singular stores, such as Lord & Taylor, Apple Computer, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Ann Taylor and Steve and Barry's University Sportswear.

Opened in 1989, the Galleria has undergone five physical expansions, the most recent being the construction of an 80,000-square-foot, two-story Galyan's store in 2000. That store was recently converted to a Dick's Sporting Goods.

The developer built a 600-vehicle parking garage in 1992.

Jag67

Yep, that Mall would be the Courtyard Mall. Closed since the mid-late 80's and still abandoned. You can see a pic of it on my thread on it. Lord and Taylor's is still open at the Galleria, at least for now. Here's a few (ok a lot) more pics taken on my old camera and a one-time, including one of the food court.

Here's A-Dollar. This was Steuart's Clothing until the late 90's, then it was a bunch of temporary places until becoming A Dollar in 2003-04.

Jag67

The Mall's Arcade. Hey, at least the games aren't over 10 years old!!

Jag67

Jag67

Jag67

Another view of the dated Champs

Jag67

The Mall Cinema, renovated last year.

Jag67

The dark 2nd floor of Kaufmann's

Jag67

Jag67

A very early 90's store with lotsa triangles, currently occupied!!!

Jag67

Jag67

Jag67

Jag67

Jag67