dated stores

Started by Mervyns, February 25, 2009, 11:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mervyns

Post store chains you think are generally outdated or individual stores.

My list:
Kmart
Sears
JCPenney
Pathmark
Albertsons
7-11
Getty
Eckerd
Circuit City
Star Market
Dunkin Donuts
CVS

EddieJ1984

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns

My list:
Kmart
Sears
JCPenney
Pathmark
Albertsons
7-11
Getty
Eckerd
Circuit City
Star Market
Dunkin Donuts
CVS

yea eckerd is so outdated it doesn't exist! lol
but I do agree about kmart, its like in the 90s when walmart and target got big, kmart thought to just slap the name big before kmart and people would think it was actually big, where as most of the stores weren;t that big and didnt become biggerf!

I don't see how dunkin donuts is outdated, it works perfect in malls, and when you just wanna get a donut or coffee ir whatnot.

One i would add to the list is radioshack, its just a small store that has some electronics, where other places like best buy will probably have it cheaper.

retailfan

Actually Radio Shack is remodeling there stores  and  if you need wire and plugs they are usually cheaper then b buy plus check the warranty a lot of Shack items are Lifetime Warranty  If you know what you need I would recomend them  Also watch the sales flyers  Flas Memory  the sale pricesusually cant be beat

Caldor1999

Kmart
toys r us (the ones near me still have that early 90's look to them
Grand union (theone near me thats still open)
A&P
pathmark
JC Penny
Radio Shack
Macys some of the ones by me are pretty dated on the inside most of them were other stores before
wal mart (the ones around me have the old logo and look pretty cheep on the inside )
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by EddieJ1984

My list:
Kmart
Sears
JCPenney
Pathmark
Albertsons
7-11
Getty
Eckerd
Circuit City
Star Market
Dunkin Donuts
CVS

yea eckerd is so outdated it doesn't exist! lol
but I do agree about kmart, its like in the 90s when walmart and target got big, kmart thought to just slap the name big before kmart and people would think it was actually big, where as most of the stores weren;t that big and didnt become biggerf!

I don't see how dunkin donuts is outdated, it works perfect in malls, and when you just wanna get a donut or coffee ir whatnot.

One i would add to the list is radioshack, its just a small store that has some electronics, where other places like best buy will probably have it cheaper.

What I mean is the stores are dilapidated and not well maintained, like the Eckerds were under JCPenney ownership and still are now as Rite Aid. DD I like but many of their stores are dated looking. RadioShack's stores arent all dated but many are in the most ghetto shopping centers.

videogamer75

RadioShack isn't outdated....aren't they the top place for cell phones? They also just started selling video games, and their stores are pretty nice and clean too.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
RadioShack isn't outdated....aren't they the top place for cell phones? They also just started selling video games, and their stores are pretty nice and clean too.  

it depends on were you live the one by me is dated on the outside and the in but ive seen some nice looking ones as well
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Most of the ShopKo stores in Green Bay, Wisconsin look dated, since most of them haven't remodeled since 1999 when they added Payless ShoeSource and tweaked the interior and exterior signage. Even some of the Payless locations inside ShopKo look dated now. The only updated locations in Green Bay are at Bay Park Square Mall in Ashwaubenon near ShopKo's corporate offices, and on Lineville Road in Suamico, since that one is a brand new location.

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
Most of the ShopKo stores in Green Bay, Wisconsin look dated, since most of them haven't remodeled since 1999 when they added Payless ShoeSource and tweaked the interior and exterior signage. Even some of the Payless locations inside ShopKo look dated now. The only updated locations in Green Bay are at Bay Park Square Mall in Ashwaubenon near ShopKo's corporate offices, and on Lineville Road in Suamico, since that one is a brand new location.

1999 looks dated?

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan

1999 looks dated?

Yes, if the 1999 look is inspired by 1992.
Shopko introduced a new logo and store prototype in 2007. They also remodeled some stores that look like the ones below.

Just compare the exteriors:

A: Old 1999 style (ex: LaCrosse, WI):

B: New 2007 style (ex: Billings, MT):

The old building architecture remains while new branding is applied to update the look. With the economy the way it is, they just can not afford to update all of the stores right now.

A: Most existing ShopKo stores still use a white/gray exterior with blue trim and the old 1992 ShopKo logo.

B: Only a select few existing ShopKo locations have updated their exteriors with the new logo and a newly painted exterior featuring earth tones, such as tan, beige, hunter green and brown. The pylon signs and interiors were also updated.

(*the car in the second picture is a DeSoto)

kendra

Yeah, the 1999 store that you depict looks a bit too...Wal-marty?

The second photo really looks a lot more upscale.

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra
Yeah, the 1999 store that you depict looks a bit too...Wal-marty?

The second photo really looks a lot more upscale.
The look of some ShopKo stores in my city are becoming dated as of 2009, now that ShopKo opened some newer upscale stores, which look nice, compare that to their generic-looking Midwest discounter look.

Here are some examples of a few dated locations:

ShopKo store #1, Green Bay, Wisconsin (the vacant store next to it was Jubilee Foods, which closed in 2004):

ShopKo, East Town Mall, Green Bay, Wisconsin: