Main Menu

Boscov's

Started by store215, May 05, 2005, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixedday

It is interesting that Boscov's wants larger stores while Kohl's wants smaller ones. I wonder if some former Sears or soon to be closed Sears buildings would be too small for Boscov consideration for new stores.

In the Philly area,  the Quakerbridge Mall Sears is still vacant with no planned or announced redevelopment for over 15 months and in general would be a good site for Boscov. The mall has macy's, jcpenney and lord & taylor and has destination stores like Apple and Cheesecake Factory. I mentioned also Montgomery Mall Sears which is closing. I just don't know if the square footage of these stores would be suitable. Also, Boscov might not be ready to take on so many locations, but these two would fit well within the Philly DMA.

esw01407

Boscov's will expand buildings. They announced internally the next location already, if I've guessed right the building is probably going to need another 20,000 sq ft at least.

I wonder if it would be in the chains best interest to hold up for now and wait to see what happens with JCPenney. Macy's might be making some more store decisions in the near future.

Brammy

That's true. I believe they took 4 additional store fronts on the 1st floor of the Westfield Meriden Square when they took over the former JCP. I think they expanded the former JCP space in Milford, CT too.
The Real Brammy

mixedday

Boscov's remains the only major retail tenant in the former Echelon Mall, now Voorhees Town Center. Technically there is still LensCrafters and Bath & Body Works,and Tilt Studio (like Chucke E Cheese), but these are smaller tenants that could move off mall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0SNaLKZnBo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFZ8K1Z04o

Unlike Boscov's Frederick location which is attached to deadmall, the Frederick store is on a highway with other retail, while in Voorhees, Boscov is part of a dying mall and also one not near a highway.

Boscov's has stores in Moorestown and Deptford, not too far away as well, so in theory, it's even more extraneous. I don't think Boscovs wants to close Voorhees, though. It's a legacy location and it benefits being the only retail in the once known mall, but at some point, the die off of retail from other establishments will hurt Boscov, and if the land was offered to purchase for redevelopment, Boscov might agree to sell the site.

It occured to me that the former Sears Essentials/Kmart in Lawnside might be a good relocation site for Echelon/Voorhees customers/staff.

The former Sears Essentials/Kmart building is in between a new vibrant ShopRite and Hallmark on one side, and on the other there is Petsmart and Home Depot. A Lowes is nearby too. A lot of complementary retail traffic.

The issue is that store is likely just 100,000 sq. foot and would be a downsizing from 2 level Boscov in Voorhees. But they could always redirect customers interested in furniture to Moorestown or Deptford.

Also Voorhees Town Center could be redeveloped for more residential and less retail. The mixed-use idea of VTC is somewhat problematic with a large Boscov and large Boscov parking lot. It'd take a visionary effort though, and there is a difference in townships (Voorhees to Lawnside), although within Camden County.