Sears bashing

Started by Caldor1999, April 16, 2005, 12:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
A little note about Sears:  Kmart transformed their logo with the Target logo in mind  -->  bullseye over the Target name, big plain red "K" over the Kmart name and now Sears flyers have a new kind of two tone "S" over the sears name...!!

I can't understand why they keep changing the logos in hope of improving something... image or sales or...???

therer bouth trying to copy off target yea its working for kmart but not Sears  Sears is trying to hard to be like a discount store when really ther a dept store
And I agree with you. They've been around for what, 110-120 years now? And people aren't used to Sears' trying to be discountey. They've found their niche in being-well, I can't describe it. They're not exactly bargain basement, but they're not upscale, either. They're just, well, themselves. And people have grown used to that.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
A little note about Sears:  Kmart transformed their logo with the Target logo in mind  -->  bullseye over the Target name, big plain red "K" over the Kmart name and now Sears flyers have a new kind of two tone "S" over the sears name...!!

I can't understand why they keep changing the logos in hope of improving something... image or sales or...???

therer bouth trying to copy off target yea its working for kmart but not Sears  Sears is trying to hard to be like a discount store when really ther a dept store
And I agree with you. They've been around for what, 110-120 years now? And people aren't used to Sears' trying to be discountey. They've found their niche in being-well, I can't describe it. They're not exactly bargain basement, but they're not upscale, either. They're just, well, themselves. And people have grown used to that.

ive nodiced that in the past ten years as going to sears asa kid and then going now when ui was younger Sears ddient have carts which i think makes there store look cheep and the layout they have now dosent help they just need to make there stores avrage not discounty looking and not upscale looking just avrage when i lkook at old pictures of sears and catlogs from sears back then they looked more liek a dept store now idk what to call them
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

The reason Sears put the S above Sears is just another way to associate it with Kmart as being in the same company now. That's my whole take on it. And yes, I think it is ridiculous.

powersbt

I agree with you. The way you summed it up said it best. It's a niche that they have found. I don't consider them discount, nor Department in the sense of a JC Penney or a Macys. As for the logo, It doesn't bother me. I've seen worse logos from other companies.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
I agree with you. The way you summed it up said it best. It's a niche that they have found. I don't consider them discount, nor Department in the sense of a JC Penney or a Macys. As for the logo, It doesn't bother me. I've seen worse logos from other companies.

there old logo they usedin the 70's and 60's made the store have more of a dept stroe feel after they clsnged it it had more of a ehhh looking type logo and i also dont like teh newer logo they have now
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MontgomeryWardFan

Heres My Opinion Sears is Doing Sucessful and I think we should be glad its one of the only true american department stores it was founded about the time wards was and did what wards did but sears came out on top I like sears

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by MontgomeryWardFan
Heres My Opinion Sears is Doing Sucessful and I think we should be glad its one of the only true american department stores it was founded about the time wards was and did what wards did but sears came out on top I like sears

Well Said Montgomery!!

MontgomeryWardFan

Dont Get Me Wrong I Like Wards But I cant "Hate" Sears

Zayre88

I don't know if i have to bash Sears or Kmart for that, but the company is launching yet another concept store.... Another attempt at redefining the company, or is it simply throwing darts hoping to hit bullseye.

QuoteKmart staff losing their jobs

December 22, 2008

By BOB OKON Staff Writer
JOLIET -- Sears Holding Corp.'s attempt to "redefine the retail landscape" could mean no jobs for some workers at a Joliet store.

The company last week unveiled plans to convert the Kmart on Plainfield Road to a pilot-program store called myGofer.

The Kmart on Plainfield Road in Joliet will be transfomed into a myGofer store, a new concept in shopping that could help Sears Holding Corp. But the switch threatens the jobs of current Kmart workers.

Last week, workers at the store had to sign forms acknowledging that their jobs will be terminated sometime between Feb. 15 and March 1. Anyone who works at Kmart now will have to reapply for their job at the new myGofer store.

The terminations were not mentioned last week when Sears Holding representatives presented their plan to the Joliet City Council.

Sears needed council approval for a drive-up facility, which is crucial to the myGofer concept. Customers can buy items online and pick them up at a drive-up window at the store.

'New employees'
Sears spokeswoman Kim Freely confirmed that workers at the store, near the Westfield Louis Joliet mall, will have to reapply for their jobs. She said it was not possible to say how many workers would be retained.
"We will still have approximately the same number of employees, but they would be new employees," Freely said. "Everyone would have to reapply for their positions. They're not the same kind of positions."

Liquidation
The letter sent to the mayor's office actually mentioned the termination of 85 jobs. Freely said the letter included seasonal positions as part of the official termination notice required by law. She said the 55 jobs represents the core staff at the store.

A liquidator is currently overseeing the store as Kmart tries to sell all the merchandise on the shelves before it is remodeled into myGofer.

The store is one of two myGofer stores Sears Holding plans to open as pilot operations for the new concept. The second location is in the Chicago area but was not identified by Sears representatives at the city council meeting.

Picture at:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1342890,4_1_JO22_KMART_S1.article#

tntornadox

As a former Sears associate who started with the company 4.5 years ago at age 16, I can tell you, even though I am not currently employed by them, I have alot of pride in having worked for them.

Sears is now one of the oldest department stores in America- and the only one to stay true to their roots. They still offer quality products for fair prices with great warranties and a lenient return policy.

JCPenney got out of everything but clothing, housewares, jewelry, and furniture; Montgomery Ward tried to become a discount store and fell flat on their face. I agree with what has been said- Sears is who Sears is, they are like nobody else and have a niche market all to themselves.

IMO, Sears' major problem is their lack of stores... had Sears Grand been allowed to expand the way it was supposed to originally, I don't think this would no longer be an issue and 'America's Store' would in the middle of a resurgence, but that's my opinion.

Sears' prices aren't much higher than anyone else's, in fact, you can often find deals there. But in the end, you get what you pay for... something alot of people have forgotten since Walmart rose to power- cheap rarely equals good quality.

Also, I have been a lurker on these boards for awhile, and I am just curious- Caldor1999, what did Sears do to you? Did they take your lollipop or something?  You have a serious gripe with them. :question:

videogamer75

Sears, along with Boscov's, are the only true department stores that I like. I like that they sell more than just boring clothes and they both have electronics departments, giving me a reason to go there. I'd much rather see a lame overpriced store like Macy's go out than Sears, which has been in the business longer than almost any store today.

Ameskid

I don't know if i have to bash Sears or Kmart for that, but the company is launching yet another concept store.... Another attempt at redefining the company, or is it simply throwing darts hoping to hit bullseye.

QuoteKmart staff losing their jobs

December 22, 2008

By BOB OKON Staff Writer
JOLIET -- Sears Holding Corp.'s attempt to "redefine the retail landscape" could mean no jobs for some workers at a Joliet store.

The company last week unveiled plans to convert the Kmart on Plainfield Road to a pilot-program store called myGofer.

The Kmart on Plainfield Road in Joliet will be transfomed into a myGofer store, a new concept in shopping that could help Sears Holding Corp. But the switch threatens the jobs of current Kmart workers.

Last week, workers at the store had to sign forms acknowledging that their jobs will be terminated sometime between Feb. 15 and March 1. Anyone who works at Kmart now will have to reapply for their job at the new myGofer store.

The terminations were not mentioned last week when Sears Holding representatives presented their plan to the Joliet City Council.

Sears needed council approval for a drive-up facility, which is crucial to the myGofer concept. Customers can buy items online and pick them up at a drive-up window at the store.

'New employees'
Sears spokeswoman Kim Freely confirmed that workers at the store, near the Westfield Louis Joliet mall, will have to reapply for their jobs. She said it was not possible to say how many workers would be retained.
"We will still have approximately the same number of employees, but they would be new employees," Freely said. "Everyone would have to reapply for their positions. They're not the same kind of positions."

Liquidation
The letter sent to the mayor's office actually mentioned the termination of 85 jobs. Freely said the letter included seasonal positions as part of the official termination notice required by law. She said the 55 jobs represents the core staff at the store.

A liquidator is currently overseeing the store as Kmart tries to sell all the merchandise on the shelves before it is remodeled into myGofer.

The store is one of two myGofer stores Sears Holding plans to open as pilot operations for the new concept. The second location is in the Chicago area but was not identified by Sears representatives at the city council meeting.

Picture at:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1342890,4_1_JO22_KMART_S1.article#
myGofer?!?!

"For all your gopher needs"

:insane::bigsmile::no:

Zayre88

myGofer?!?!

"For all your gopher needs"

:insane::bigsmile::no:

CTAmeshopper

myGofer???

What The Fluock?

did they just pull that name out their hats, from a random pile of names? what other choices were there?

dastore, myzoomer,supasales,mysaleser?Cheapname.buyheir,Kfart?

GEEZ this is getting ridiculous.

:dizzy::rolleyes:

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper
myGofer???

What The Fluock?

did they just pull that name out their hats, from a random pile of names? what other choices were there?

dastore, myzoomer,supasales,mysaleser?Cheapname.buyheir,Kfart?

GEEZ this is getting ridiculous.

:dizzy::rolleyes:

These kinds of moves by Sears-Kmart make me want to do more Sears bashing. :flaming:

jmcnamara96

Whats wrong with Sears?

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
Whats wrong with Sears?

Sears is the next Montgomery Ward, a bankruptcy waiting to happen.  The stores always look empty, with 75 associates and 31 customers.  Sales have been in decline for years, almost nothing is done to upgrade existing stores, they keep launching new concept stores here and there without a clear focused and aggressive strategy.  

Their only weapon against Wal-Mart, Kohl's and Target is old Kmart stores with a fresh coat of paint and a Sears logo.  They place Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard products (good products) in these cheaply done stores and hope for the best.  That is the reason for a Sears Bashing thread. ;)

Caldor1999

what they need to do is ditch kmart cause thats really brintg them down and they need to show people that there products are worth buying and trust me they are ive gotten alot of appilicnes from sears i may have paied a bit more but they had things wal mart target home depot don't have and you may pay more but you get your moneys worth
Caldor Forever!

dmx10101

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

This is possibly the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
This is possibly the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

It's amazing that this company is still in business after so many years of doing nothing to really improve and update Sears and Kmart, with ideas like MyGofer and the other multiple concepts they've rolled out.  What are they thinking?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

If Sears decides to go under, I think their Mall of America location in Bloomington, Minnesota might be replaced by a three-story Target store, or a JCPenney, when Sears closes that store, which opened with the rest of the mall in 1992. I think Kmart's acquisition of Sears in 2005, is what's pulling Sears under.

nims57

Sears DID pretty much reinvent itself in the 80's. Lots of their stores from that time, though, look pretty bad today.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
Sears DID pretty much reinvent itself in the 80's. Lots of their stores from that time, though, look pretty bad today.
I agree, when the Sears moved off Main Street in Nashua, NH to the Pheasant Lane Mall in south Nashua the new location was pretty amazing with a huge catalog service desk, custom kitchen cabinet displays along with a variety of other departments and attractions through out the 2 story store. With make shift low cost renovations and trying to cheaply recreate itself........ They have sadly lost that edge.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

amesman

I think it is funny that one of the reasons Sears is starting to lose ground today was the primary cause of Montgomery Ward not gaining ground: being in a mall. Sears has been trying to build freestanding stores lately in favor of mall stores due to the changing shopping trends. I just thought it was an interesting point.

zonemad96

I cant find anything to bash Sears about the only thing I dont like is their prices are a little high. Overall i think their a great department store, but is it just me or are their hours messed up my store has been closeing at like 8pm lately that seems awful early to me.

TheFugitive

They sent me an email telling me that I had $10 in Shop Your Way Surprise Points
towards a $45 clothing purchase.

So I went online and had a really tough time coming up with $45 worth of stuff I wanted
to purchase.  I could not get $45 worth of stuff that was all either available for shipping
or available in a local store.  And when I did they did not have my size in something or other.

I punted by buying a package of underwear to get to $45.  But the site would not let me
complete my purchase.  It kept insisting I was not logged in.  I thought I was (my name was
visible by the cart at the top of the page).  It kept asking for an email and password.  Kept
telling me my email was invalid (despite the fact that Sears/Kmart LOADS THAT ADDRESS
WITH SPAM everyday).

I emailed Customer Service and got a Pigeon English reply, which obviously came from India.
The reply was not helpful.  My points expired the next day and I just gave up on the entire purchase.

Ameskid

Visited one Sears location in a mall that's not doing too well.  It reminded me of those stores that seemingly have "Going Out Of Business!" signs up for months on end, so that it's hard to tell when the jig will be up and they'll actually close their doors.

Thinking cap time: if Sears does bite the dust, what becomes of their real estate? They have a lot of huge stores, and huge former Sears stores don't seem to be in fashion right now.

TheFugitive

I was inside a Sears location, in a mall that is generally healthy, ten days before Christmas.

I could have shot off a cannon in there, and literally hit no one but a couple of very bored employees.
Not looking good for them.

TheFugitive

Went back to that same Sears location yesterday after they had sent me an email offering $10 off a $30 purchase.

That's a pretty good deal, and I do feel bad for Sears-Kmart.  So I went back and found that after spending an hour in their store there was really NOTHING that I cared to spend thirty dollars on.

Could have used a new chaise lounge, but they had already blown out of the lawn furniture.  Or some new nonstick pans, but their price was at least 25% higher than I could have found them for anywhere else in town. 

Other than that lots of out-of-stocks and drab, outdated merchandise.  When you can't persuade a shopper to drop thirty bucks in a store that size the end really IS near.