Jordan Marsh

Started by Caldor1999, April 15, 2005, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
No matter where retail history goes from this moment, there will never be anything to rival the excitement of entering a mall and walking around to see what stores are there.  Every time I visit a new city, I always head for the mall-except now every one of them has the same few stores that everyone else has.  

Where has variety gone?????

:yup:

This is VERY true. The shopping mall is nothing like it used to be. Almost every large scale mall has the exact same stores. This can be partly to blame on the malls themselves. Lease agreements tend to require you to be part of a corporation or a franchise unit of some kind. The only exception to this is the temporary lease location and kiosks that are in the mall.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

One of the last "new" Jordan Marsh locations I ever saw was in Salem, NH. They added this amazing 3 story building to the Rockingham Mall. The interior was modern and bright  and being built in the very early 90's it was surprising they open this store with none other then a Fur department.  It had a room you could walk through and see all the furs on display behind full lenght hindged windows. There was an area you could sit to view the coats with full lenght mirrors too. Sadly this location turned into a Macy's, that department was removed and they utilized the showroom area for maternity clothes. They turned that store into a total trash pit. Once Macy aquired Filene's they relocated into that location. They continued to utilize the Giant Jordan Marsh building for none other then storage of fixtures and overstock of merchandise. This would be in part to the Filene's store being much smaller.

gu4ever

When I think of the Jordan Marsh store, this is the type of building that comes to mind. This store is now occupied by Macy's but still has the copper canopy over the entrance and the showcase windows that have been sealed off.

gu4ever

The entrance and showcase windows of the former Jordan Marsh store.

gu4ever

An evening view of the former Jordan Marsh store in Bedford, NH now occupied by Macy's.

gu4ever

It's been along time since I've visited this location, it was exciting to see the showcase windows have been uncovered and are once again in use for displays at the main front entrance.

gu4ever

Let's go visit the Jordan Marsh restaurant. A portion of the dining room still remains in tact with lighting and wallcovering on the second floor.

gu4ever

This is a view of the restaurant near the entrance.

gu4ever

This is a section of the original dining room at Jordan Marsh. One chandelier remains along with several wall sconces and the wood paneling. The space is currently being used for clearance model furniture.

gu4ever

The store front of the former Jordan Marsh building during the day.

gu4ever

A view of the former Jordan Marsh building in Salem, NH. This store was built and opened in the early 90's. Eventually taken over by Macy's and then left vacant after Macy's relocated to the Filene's building. Macy's still holds the lease on this property.
*note*
The white poles on the end of the building used to fly the black and white Jordan Marsh flags.

gu4ever

A glimpse inside of the former beauty of the Jordan Marsh building in Salem, NH at the Rockingham Mall.

gu4ever

The second floor entrance of the Jordan Marsh store in Salem, NH at the Rockingham Mall.

gu4ever

The former Jordan Marsh of Portland, ME.

gu4ever

The mall entrance and upstairs funky retro-lighting of the small appliance, kitchen and glassware department.

TRJ22487

Jordan Marsh, Miami while it was still thriving
I love all the old cars and...is that a swimming pool?
As posted above, this store was originally 3 stories, then renovated to 5, clearly from this photo that was an old renovation as this picture still looks to be from the 70's
I drove past the one to go to the Mall of New Hampshire yesterday and made me think of this chain, but I like the look the old New England stores had better

jmcnamara96

Jordan Marsh in Framham Mass

Property Company Pictures

gu4ever

The modern logo of Jordan Marsh.

d_fife

where Jordan Marsh's of Boston and Miami 2 seperate chains?? and did you know they had a Jordan Marsh in Lowell (on Merrimack st) that closed almost 20 years ago. They never had a Jordan MArsh in Vermont why?

amesman

The Florida Jordan Marsh stores were a separate division from when Jordan Marsh was owned by Allied Dept. Stores. The Florida stores were disbanded in 1991 when Federated Dept Stores merged with Allied.

As for why they never had one in Vermont, who knows. It could just be that no area could support one.

jmcnamara96

When the price of Blue Berrys goes down my mom is gonna make the World Famous Jordan Marsh Blue Berry Muffins she got the recipe when  she was a baker at the Lowell Jordan Marsh :)

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on April 19, 2010, 07:36:54 PM
When the price of Blue Berrys goes down my mom is gonna make the World Famous Jordan Marsh Blue Berry Muffins she got the recipe when  she was a baker at the Lowell Jordan Marsh :)
Those muffins totally rock grilled with butter!!!!
YUM  :)