Jordan Marsh

Started by Caldor1999, April 15, 2005, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

anything they all turned into Macys in 1996 hears a picture of a store
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

more this store was torndown to make a newer bigger mall in 1994
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

this store looks so outdated
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

some daytime pictures i found takeing back in 1994 lol i dident take thes pictures juging that i was only 6 at the time lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

WOW A STORE WITH A DOME ROOF!:o

were they a department store?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB

yep just like Macys ect
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

yep just like Macys ect

DANG! IT MUST'VE BEEN COOL TO SHOP THERE!!!!!!:o:cool:

i nevre been to one before they all became macys in 1996 well waht was left of them but yea it dose look like a cool place to shop:bounce:
Caldor Forever!

dayville81

The one in the Crystal Mall didnt change that much after Macy's took it over. I remember they had a banner calling it "Macy's/Jordan Marsh", maybe there will be a "Macy's/Kaufmann's" or a "Macy's/Filene's"

Anonymous

Thiose are great pics, who took them?  I grew up going to this Jordan Marsh that was part  of "Shoppers World" in Framingham, MA.
The dome was going to try to be preserved somehow but no one could figure out what to do with it so when they demolished shopper's world the dome went too. Now it's just another boring strip mall. A true tradgedy.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Thiose are great pics, who took them?  I grew up going to this Jordan Marsh that was part  of "Shoppers World" in Framingham, MA.
The dome was going to try to be preserved somehow but no one could figure out what to do with it so when they demolished shopper's world the dome went too. Now it's just another boring strip mall. A true tradgedy.

that was probably the 2nd jordan marsh as it opened 1951. I wish i had the seen the dome as I went to shoppers world for the first time in early 1995 and they were doing cosntruction on shoppers world. how big was the jordan marsh???

Anonymous

That  Jordan Marsh was pretty big.  It had two levels .  The ladies room had a big sitting room with  stools and counters and mirrors everywhere before you went into the actual bathroom.  I was always impressed by that.   They had a bakery  too. And Toy department. The whole shoppers world was amazing, I worked at the deli there,  they'd have a train  at christmas and give kids rides on it and live reindeer.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
That  Jordan Marsh was pretty big.  It had two levels .  The ladies room had a big sitting room with  stools and counters and mirrors everywhere before you went into the actual bathroom.  I was always impressed by that.   They had a bakery  too. And Toy department. The whole shoppers world was amazing, I worked at the deli there,  they'd have a train  at christmas and give kids rides on it and live reindeer.

wow, I wish I had seen or been in that store!!!!

coolbabes

I can take a look around, I may have some pictures  of it all jazzed up for the holidays.  
Yeah Jthat JM was special, and I think that's why so many people tried to save the dome.  It was falling apart anyway so to save it and restore it would've been too much.

coolbabes

Here's a, interior picture someone sent me before demolition.

JordanMarsh

I remember this particular department store very well especially since my mother used to shop there quite frequently. I remember being amazed because one of the Jordan Marsh stores we lived by as it was 5 stories tall. Shortly after they built around the store to create a very nice mall and hotel with an indoor amusement park of sorts. Man those were the days. I've been through alot in my life thus far and my memory isn't always the greatest but some of my fondest memories are of visiting Jordan Marsh and other classic stores. I wish they still existed today, much better than any current store such as Wal*Mart, etc.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by coolbabes
Here's a, interior picture someone sent me before demolition.

the layout kida remninds me of bliimingdales well the interoir i mean
Caldor Forever!

JordanMarsh

Here's the interior of a Jordan Marsh store.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by JordanMarsh
Here's the interior of a Jordan Marsh store.

were was thisone located
Caldor Forever!

JordanMarsh

Natick, Massachusetts I believe.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by JordanMarsh
Natick, Massachusetts I believe.

oh that pic dosnet look that old but yea idk i wish i had teh chance to see hjordan marsh but im sure its not as diffrent as Macys or bloomingdales or JC Penny Lord & taylor ect
Caldor Forever!

coolbabes

That last photo is/was the Jordan Marsh at the new "improved" Natick Mall.  It wasn't there long before Macy's bought it and took over (which they recently did to the to the Filenes down the hall at the same mall).
That JM definitely didn't have the personality the domed JM at the old Shoppers World in Framingham did, second only to the one in Downtown Crossing in Boston it was the best one I've been to.  I miss that store.

JordanMarsh

It wasn't entirely different but alot better IMO. I know my mother used to go out of her way to shop at Jordan Marsh when there was a JC Penny nearby as well as K-Mart & Burdines which is another interesting side note as most Jordan Marsh stores in Florida were converted into Burdines.

coolbabes

Yeah it definitely had something special about it.  There is an old Jordan Marsh outside Manchester, NH just by its self. So strange, driving by you think there should be a mall attched to it but it's just a Jordan Marsh (now Macy's) just by it's self off the highway. They slapped on a Macy's sign but the building is very JM looking, it just has that look, you know.
Has anyone else ever heard of a JM store by its self like that?

JordanMarsh

Well I know in Miami back in the 70's and before there was a stand alone Jordan Marsh near downtown Miami that was originally 3 floors but was renovated to 5 stories. It remained like that until they built a mall, movie theatre and hotel literally around the store creating the OMNI International Mall. That was one of the greatest places I ever went to as a kid I was astonished unfortunately it is a deadmall now.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by coolbabes
Yeah it definitely had something special about it.  There is an old Jordan Marsh outside Manchester, NH just by its self. So strange, driving by you think there should be a mall attched to it but it's just a Jordan Marsh (now Macy's) just by it's self off the highway. They slapped on a Macy's sign but the building is very JM looking, it just has that look, you know.
Has anyone else ever heard of a JM store by its self like that?

about jordan marsh in florida, was it owned by the jordan marsh of boston or was it a serpate chain. something tells me it was a seperate chain.

JustinT

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
about jordan marsh in florida, was it owned by the jordan marsh of boston or was it a serpate chain. something tells me it was a seperate chain.

Both Jordan Marshes were the same chain at first. Like some other northern chains (Chicago supermarket Jewel and Chicago department store Marshall Field's were two), much of the older clientel was moving down south by the middle of the 20th century. To take advantage of customers already trusting the Jordan Marsh brand, they opened several stores in South Florida. With the entire Allied/Campeau/Federated ownership changes in the late 1980s, the entire Jordan Marsh chain fell into disarray. IIRC, in 1991, the Jordan Marsh stores in Florida were handed over to Miami-based (and Federated owned) Burdines: The Florida Store. Burdines would eventually become Burdines-Macy's become becoming part of the Macy's chain several years ago.

It should be noted that with Campeau and Allied at the helm of Jordan Marsh, the entire chain was in dire financial straits. The company could not afford constructing or renovating stores during this time, and many of the company's stores fell into disrepair. At the same time, by contrast, May-owned Filene's was building and renovating new stores, and taking Jordan Marsh's customer base.

The pictures of Jordan Marsh in Framingham are taken from http://natickmass.info/ShoppersWorld/BeginningoftheEnd.html, there's some more pictures there as well. And just as an aside, if you're interested in more on what the Shopper's World complex was, and the history of the notorious dome, there's a page on my website all about it (the link is at the bottom of the post).

One last thing: the pictures of the Natick Mall Jordan Marsh are rather significant. After exiting the financial issues of the 80's, the company would have been able to renovate their stores. However, the only store that would ever see use of this new money was the Jordan Marsh at the Natick Mall. When the three-floored store opened in 1994, it looked incredible, and showed what the chain would have become. However, it would also be the last store to bear the Jordan Marsh name. In 1996, the name was laid to rest as stores throughout the Northeast became Macy's.

Sadly, that last store in the Jordan Marsh family closed this March, as operations shifted to the dumpy Filene's building next door. The Natick store is expected to become a JC Penney.

beachgal26

No matter where retail history goes from this moment, there will never be anything to rival the excitement of entering a mall and walking around to see what stores are there.  Every time I visit a new city, I always head for the mall-except now every one of them has the same few stores that everyone else has.  

Where has variety gone?????

:yup: