Salvation Army

Started by jmcnamara96, January 30, 2009, 05:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwefan101

my mom used to work for them  the oxford ma one brunt the ground and the other one in aburn m a lost ther lease

jmcnamara96

twas on my way to the one in nashua but it was closed:mad:

C. Fontaine

The first ever Ames became a Salvation Army at one point.

Mervyns

The former Acme Super Saver in Bath, NY is now a Salvation Army store.

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
The first ever Ames became a Salvation Army at one point.

THAT was the first ever Ames??!!

Marc82

My buddy Rodent and I went to the one in Bristol, CT last Thursday. What a dump. It's in half of a former Rickel's. After Rickel's closed, the site became a Pergament and they only took half the Rickel space, so a new store front was created. It stayed vacant for many years before becoming the Salvation Army Thrift Store. (The old Pergament is now Sears Hardware).

Originally The Salvation Army Thrift store in Bristol was located at 25 Collins Road in the former Inside Outlet Store. After being there for several years and suffering at least 3 arson fires on their loading docks they moved  into The Mall at Bristol Center. They were there for a couple years before they closed down for a while. They wanted to find another location on Route 6. That's when they moved into the old Rickel. (Just for the record the old 25 Collins Road Building was renovated nicely into Medical Office Buildings. It doesn't resemble the old Inside Outlet store that used to be there along with ARROW (now Beacon) Pharmacy).

ynkeesfn82

The Salvation Army Thrift Store in Bristol I mentioned in the above post from 2009 has since closed. They closed in February 2012.

ynkeesfn82

The New Britain, CT Salvation Army Thrift Store closed. When? Unknown. The 2012 picture on Google Maps shows it as an abandoned building. It was at 165 Arch Street.

Ameskid

This former Frank's Nursery & Crafts in Eastgate, OH was vacant until 2008 or so.

Former Frank's Nursery & Crafts, Eastgate, OH by harvestmanman, on Flickr
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TheFugitive

Salvation Army Super Store on the hill above Century III Mall in West Mifflin, PA.
This location was formerly a Sears Homelife furniture store.  Sears built this location which
only remained in business a very short time (too many other cheaper options to buy
furniture nearby).  Some of the house/room sets used by Homelife to display furniture
are still used by the store to display donated items.  This is a VERY large thrift store.

Pikapower

I think that some active malls that are going to loose longtime anchors like JCPenny, Sears, and Macy's might just replace these stores with Salvation Army thrift stores.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Pikapower on March 28, 2015, 07:14:20 PM
I think that some active malls that are going to loose longtime anchors like JCPenny, Sears, and Macy's might just replace these stores with Salvation Army thrift stores.

Only if they divided the space up. Those anchor spots are huge well over 100,000 Square Feet. I remember the one that had been in Bristol was a little more than 17,000 Square Feet and they told me that was a big store for them.

JSIDA17

A new Salvation Army just opened in half of the now divided former Ames Department Store in Dayville, CT. Also would like to note that Harbor Freight Tools has moved in next door to the Salvation Army, making the location completely filled with stores. I haven't honestly seen that many cars in the parking lot of the plaza ever, even when Ames and Beit Bros. supermarket was there lol.

zonemad96

Quote from: Pikapower on March 28, 2015, 07:14:20 PM

Yeah but I can't see a thrift store bringing much traffic to the rest of the mall, also it's unlikely they could afford to pay the same amount for rent that a actual anchor store would pay.

JimSawhill

Quote from: JSIDA17 on July 03, 2017, 06:34:26 PM
A new Salvation Army just opened in half of the now divided former Ames Department Store in Dayville, CT. Also would like to note that Harbor Freight Tools has moved in next door to the Salvation Army, making the location completely filled with stores. I haven't honestly seen that many cars in the parking lot of the plaza ever, even when Ames and Beit Bros. supermarket was there lol.

Was that location in Dayville an old Fair Department Store? What happened to Beit Bros?

MikeinBuffalo

anyone know what the Salvation Army on Transit road in Amherst/Clarence NY used to be? The red striping on the walls says to me it used to be something else.

It's funny, the store is full of old retail stuff, including baskets and carts from Hills, Ames, Vix, and A M & A's.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

TheFugitive

I was in the Salvation Army thrift store near Century III the other night.
They appear to have completely stopped selling electronics.

The entire back of this store used to be filled with portable radios, boom boxes,
old-school TV sets, etc.  No more.  All of that completely gone.  The space has been
taken over by furniture (a lot of it rather overpriced for being used furniture).  Just a
few small kitchen appliances off to the side.

Most of the floor space is being used for clothing at this point.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 18, 2019, 04:54:02 PM
I was in the Salvation Army thrift store near Century III the other night.
They appear to have completely stopped selling electronics.

The entire back of this store used to be filled with portable radios, boom boxes,
old-school TV sets, etc.  No more.  All of that completely gone.  The space has been
taken over by furniture (a lot of it rather overpriced for being used furniture).  Just a
few small kitchen appliances off to the side.

Most of the floor space is being used for clothing at this point.

I guess you'll have to find used electronics at Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, etc.

The stuff carried by thrift stores varies by market.

giantsfan2016

Heard a commercial on the radio that Salvation Army Family Store is opening at 983 New Britain Avenue in West Hartford, CT. This marks their return to West Hartford. Previously they were located on Shield Street. Interestingly enough Shield Street is near this property.983 New Britain Avenue is part of a development that includes a Price Rite Marketplace Supermarket. Caldor was here and then it became AMES.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on April 21, 2019, 04:50:55 AM
Heard a commercial on the radio that Salvation Army Family Store is opening at 983 New Britain Avenue in West Hartford, CT. This marks their return to West Hartford. Previously they were located on Shield Street. Interestingly enough Shield Street is near this property.983 New Britain Avenue is part of a development that includes a Price Rite Marketplace Supermarket. Caldor was here and then it became AMES.

They are going in where the second Joeyz Shopping Spree was. That location didn't last long. The original one on Kane Street is still open.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 21, 2019, 09:38:03 AM

They are going in where the second Joeyz Shopping Spree was. That location didn't last long. The original one on Kane Street is still open.
'
I didn't realize Joeyz had a second West Hartford location. I remember going to the one on Kane Street more than 12 years ago back when the Chinese Buffet was still Hometown Buffet and ShopRite was still Shaw's. I thought it was a junk store.