Gas Stations

Started by HoJofan206, May 01, 2007, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdubs

Quote from: Zayre88 on December 10, 2011, 03:03:30 PM
Quote from: Marc B on July 24, 2010, 12:03:08 AM
Quote from: CTAmeshopper on July 23, 2010, 07:23:57 PM
We used to have two Getty stations, one located near BJ's former Nu-Stars and another almost across from Torrington Plaza. The Getty near BJ's shut down and is now leased by an auto part dealer, the one almost across Torrington Plaza Turned into a BP Station.

Last summer for whatever reason over 200 Getty Stations in New England became BP. There was an article about how the Oil Spill was affecting BP gas stations and it mentioned it. Also the BP in Wolcott I referenced in my December 30th post has since reopened. There's also now a BP Station at the Southington Truck Stop.

I did notice that change.  Suddenly BP stations appeared here and there in New England.

The one aggravating thing about the new BP stations are the green handles.  Traditionally, green handles mean "diesel" on the pumps.  Not at BP, I go and grab the black handle and couldn't figure out why gas wasn't coming out, and it was because I had the diesel handle in the car!  At least they are on separate buttons, I am sure I'm not the only one who has done this.
Funny thing is, my brother drives a diesel truck, and he did the opposite of what I did, grab the green handle. haha.

StoreLiker2006

I want to ask all of you here: how can I tell a "real" Union/Unocal 76 service station from one that was once a BP or Chevron or other? In this day and age, there can be very little room to tell.

~Ben

ynkeesfn82

Queen Street Exxon Southington, Connecticut. Next to Shoprite Plaza. Was Exxon until around 2006 then became Citgo. Became Exxon again in November 2011 about a week after they reopened after being closed for a week due to a power failure as a result of the freak October blizzard.

ynkeesfn82

Gas station news from Connecticut:

I wasn't able to get a picture, but an electrical fire destroyed the "store" part of the Citgo Station on Wolcott Road in Wolcott, Connecticut on Wednesday April 4th. For those of you familiar with the area coming up from Bristol it's on the same side of the street as Rockstar near Harold's Country Store. It was the only gas station on Route 69 between the Valero Station on West Street down in Bristol and the Cumberland Farms on Wolcott Road in Wolcott.

Also something is going on again with that BP station on Wolcott Road in Wolcott near the Waterbury townline. The BP sign is covered up.

Something is going on with the Lukoil Station next to the Gulf Station at the corner of Middle Street and Pine Street in Bristol. They were closed the other day and when they reopened the next day the Lukoil sign was covered up.

And as of today (4/14/12) the BP station at the corner of South Street and Union Street in Bristol has its sign covered up as well.

retailisking

Earlier today I happened across a gas station sign I never thought I'd see again - Top Gas. They were ubiquitous in my little corner of New England at one point - they were most commonly found in Shaw's parking lots in the pre-Sainsbury era. Another no-name gas station brand that was very common was Old Colony. Those stations usually had very prominent locations at major intersections or main thoroughfares. I think they were a Massachusetts concern. The history of gasoline marketing is utterly fascinating, and brands come and go in various regions of the country at a frenetic pace. I never knew until I saw a 1969 photo taken along Route 1 in Kittery, ME that Sinclair did business around here back in the day. And I was intrigued to learn that Philips 66 has established a presence in the Seacoast region of New Hampshire.

shore72

I agree, very interesting how the brands come and go. In my little hometown there are two stations these days. One started out in the 60s as a Citgo and has since been Texaco, Amoco, Citgo again (not even long enough to change the signs) and now no-name. The other station has been Texaco, Citgo, now Valero.

There is one very loose chain of convenience stores around here (Super Soda Center, aka "Universal") and most of them sell unbranded gas. A few years ago most of them got new pumps and signage. Some locations became Citgo, others switched to Gulf. After about a year the signs were covered with tarps and duct tape and they went back to unbranded. Now one of them has new signs that just have a big stylized "G", not sure what that stands for. Another local chain, Shore Stop, has had some cases where two of their locations were within sight of one another, each one carrying a different brand of gas. I find it interesting to watch the musical chairs; keeps the sign companies in business, I guess.

retailisking

Abandoned former Texaco station in South Paris, ME on Route 26 across from the Burger King

ynkeesfn82

Ran into a friend last night who told me that the BP in Prospect, Connecticut is also changing its name. She told me all the BP signs are covered up and the pumps had signs on them that said "CASH ONLY". So that makes at least 3 BP stations that are changing - Wolcott, Bristol, and Prospect. - Is BP getting out of Connecticut?

I did get gas at the "BP" in Bristol last night and there was a sign on all the pumps that said "Credit Card Users Please Go Inside". All the applications to apply for BP credit cards were gone from the pumps. When I went inside to pay cash the register still said "Thank-you for shopping at BP".

Also the last Getty station in my area is also re-branding. All the Getty Signs were missing/covered up at the Getty Station at the corner of East Street (Route 10) and Whiting Street in Plainville (next to VJ Farms Sunoco Station).

Bdubs

I have noticed all the BP's are covered up as well.  I can't find any reason to it, but I do have a client who owns a BP station.  I have been meaning to ask him what is going on.

retailisking

Maybe this development has something to do with the termination of the BP regional distributor's contract:
http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view/20220412bp_agrees_to_supply_hundreds_of_out-of-gas_stations

As hundreds of BP- and Getty-branded gas stations started running dry yesterday, victims of a changing industry, shrinking profit margins and an ownership structure different from that used by most other competitors, BP officials stepped in, yanked the contract of the regional supplier and promised to fill up the stations’ tanks.

“BP has taken action today to address supply disruptions faced by a number of independent gas station operators in the Greater Boston area,” a company statement released this afternoon said. “BP has informed regional distributor Green Valley Oil that it will terminate its contract with Green Valley effective Friday, April 13th. BP supply and logistics staff are working around the clock to identify new distributors and make the necessary changes to arrange for fuel deliveries to the 218 BP-branded sites supplied by Green Valley Oil.

“We hope to have this process completed by the end of the month,” company officials said.

BP officials said 122 of the stations are located in Massachusetts, 55 in Connecticut, 22 in New Hampshire and 19 in Rhode Island

Gas stopped flowing to local stations run by “commission agents” while their parent companies struggle with bankruptcy in faraway courts, explained Matthew LeLacheur, executive director of the New England Service Station and Auto Repair Association.

“I think these companies just banked on a higher (profit) margin,” LeLacheur said.

BP is not at fault, he said. The stations are owned by a corporation called Getty Properties, he said, which lease 800 nationwide to a separate corporation known as Getty Petroleum Marketing of New York, which in turn turned over the operation to Green Valley Oil in East Providence, R.I.

Getty Petroleum Marketing is in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings in New York. A company spokeswoman did not return calls. A man who answered the phone at Green Valley Oil said the vice president would not be available until Friday. “We’re going out of business, that’s probably the reason” gas supplies were running out, the unidentified man said.

Most other service stations own or lease their facilities, which means they have protections under federal law the commission agents do not and they have the freedom to order gasoline supplies on their own from other suppliers if their landlords fail to come through, LeLacheur said. The commission agents at most New England BP and Getty stations are dependent on supplies from their station owners.

LeLacheur said most BP station operators were told informally a Pennsylvania company would take over operations on May 1, but until the BP statement this afternoon they were not likely to see new supplies until the new regional supplier takes over.

While problems for the BP affiliate stations were related to their unusual ownership arrangements, LeLacheur predicted more problems for the industry as profits are squeezed. Profits range around 12 cents per gallon, he said, and credit card charges can be as high as 8 cents. “If your margin is 12 cents and you lose 8 cents to the credit cards, you’re running the rest of the operation on 4 cents,” he said.

“It’s a changing industry, very similar to what happened to pharmacies in the ‘80s and ‘90s, and to hardware stores,” LeLacheur said. “It’s consolidation.”

Even before BP’s action, LeLacheur predicted leaving the stations in the lurch would be hard for political and business leaders.

“We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause motorists during this transition period and sincerely hope consumers will continue to support the local gas station operators in their community who market BP-branded fuels,” BP said in a statement.

Zayre88

That's complicated: I've read another article about BP running dry and they explain who does what.  So There's BP, Getty, and Getty Realty Corp. Green Valley Oil LLC, Getty Petroleum Marketing Inc. Lukoil....

Many Getty stations have closed or were rebranded as Lukoil.  Some became BP.  And some of the Lukoil stations have suddenly closed.  BP is now running dry ?!?

--------------
QuoteCentral Massachusetts BP gas stations are owned by Getty Realty Corp. and were part of a package of 797 outlets that were subleased to Getty Petroleum Marketing Inc., a subsidiary of Lukoil Americas Corp.

In 2009, BP signed a deal with Green Valley Oil LLC in East Providence to rebrand 235 stations in Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Massachusetts from Lukoil and Getty flags.

Getty Petroleum Marketing Inc. filed for bankruptcy on Dec. 5 in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York.

Bdubs

Well, that explains it.
Here in CT, at least on the eastern side of the state, all of the Getty's became BP's.  There are only a handful of Lukoil stations around the area.  Wonder what they are going to become next.

ynkeesfn82

I never even heard of Lukoil until the station on Middle Street in Bristol became one. It was built as a Texaco.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

A great night-time shot of the BP gas station in Zanesville, Ohio using BP's previous logo.

buzz86us

I wish more 7-11 would open up here in Upstate NY all we have is Extramart, Stewart's, and Cumberland Farms and they suck and are crazy over-priced when it comes to food in comparison to 7-11 though Cumberland's drinks aren't too bad.

Kmart4life

I remember these from South Carolina in the 90's while visiting some family. Smiley's Fuel City

I wish 7-ELEVEN and Circle K would open stores in Wisconsin. All we have are Kwik Trip Stores, CENEX Fox Convenience Centers, Express Convenience Centers, Mobil Oneida One-Stops, Shell Grand Central Stations, and BP Grand Central Stations. We also have the usual Shell, BP, Mobil, Citgo, and CENEX stores in Wisconsin. Some Shopko and Mills Fleet Farm stores also have their own gas stations in Wisconsin and other parts of the Midwest as parts of their stores (just like Kmart).

MikeRa

Within the last few weeks, we have started to see the 76 names on some gas stations out here in the Philadelphia area.  2 of them were former Sunoco that were indenpendent for awhile in 2013.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: MikeRa on April 22, 2014, 02:55:44 PM
Within the last few weeks, we have started to see the 76 names on some gas stations out here in the Philadelphia area.  2 of them were former Sunoco that were indenpendent for awhile in 2013.

When you're a gas station and you go independent you're setting yourself up for failure. Even though Consumer Advocate Clark Howard says it's okay to buy gas from an independent station - most people DO NOT trust them. There was a small Gulf Station on West Main Street in New Britain next to Johnny's Florist and they switched to independent because the rights fees she was paying to Gulf were too high. Well ever since they switched to independent sales are down.

I am in the camp of not going to an independent station. I need my car to get around I can't risk having it ruined by low quality gas. Depending on where I'm going I usually get my gas at Citgo or Sunoco - even if the Sunoco is a little higher on price. Once in a while I'll go to EXXON which is the closest. I also won't go to an unfamiliar brand. Yesterday I was going to Plainville to run errands - go to my bank, pick up cat food for my Mom's cat, etc I went to Sunoco and paid $3.839 (or was it $3.859?) even though the gas station next door was $3.759. The gas station next to Sunoco is VP Fuels - a brand I'm not familiar with. - It just opened about a week and a half ago and people seem to be avoiding it.

In some cases independents are okay. For example here in Connecticut Mercury Fuels based in Waterbury which owns 26 stations included the above mentioned VP Fuels also supplies gas to independent stations. And from what I've read name brand - Valareo will also supply independent stations with gas too.

Stork of The Weak

In Camden NJ it's interesting how four gas stations are all close together, all of which were once another brand. Currently the lineup from east to west is a Shell, Lukoil, BP, and Exxon, but historically there was Texaco, Mobil, Amoco, and Esso in each spot.

jamesway_95

Former Citgo in Buena, NJ.

BillyGr

Just noticed that Sunoco opened a station at the end of December off the Northway (I-87) at Exit 29 in upstate NY, across from the former Frontier Town site.  It had been a station years ago but was abandoned for quite some time.  Seems like it should be a good spot, right off the highway and there is quite a stretch through there with very little in the way of such services.

https://www.facebook.com/exit29sunoco/info?tab=overview

danfifepsu

gas prices by next month, and later this year? whats anyones guess what gas prices will be a month from today or 6 weeks from now?

jamesway_95

Former Citgo in Atco, NJ; now an independent station. Photo taken in 2013.

BillyGr

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 26, 2014, 11:01:23 PM
In Camden NJ it's interesting how four gas stations are all close together, all of which were once another brand. Currently the lineup from east to west is a Shell, Lukoil, BP, and Exxon, but historically there was Texaco, Mobil, Amoco, and Esso in each spot.

OK, 3 of those were converted at some point (or bought out or whatever) but 1 does retain it's original brand, they just started using a different name for the company.  Not a big difference, but there is a difference.

ynkeesfn82

My Mom had a doctor's appointment in New Britain, Connecticut the other day and I went with her. She does not like driving the highway and we went via West Main Street. A small independent gas station next to the now defunct Johnny's Florist is now a Citgo station. I remember an article in the paper when that station switched from Gulf to Independent and the owner complained how sales had plummeted. I don't know if it's still the same owner or not. I remember they were trying to sell the place a few years ago.

Hudsons81

Plans are now moving forward to completely reconstruct the Speedway at West and Allen Roads in Woodhaven, Michigan. This is to tie in with the ongoing construction on the former Kmart site.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2015/06/16/news/doc557f2399edcaa592447877.txt

I remember when this was a Total back in the 1990's.

Hudsons81

Quote from: MikeRa on April 22, 2014, 02:55:44 PM
Within the last few weeks, we have started to see the 76 names on some gas stations out here in the Philadelphia area.

The 76 signs also started going up fairly recently over here in the Detroit area. One close to where I am is a former Clark that was for years a Sunoco before that.

ynkeesfn82

The Citgo Station in Plainville, Connecticut on the corner of New Britain Ave and Cooke Street is now an Exxon.

I remember when we had "UNOCAL 76" stations in Wisconsin. UNOCAL acquired some Pure stations which allowed them to enter the Midwest in the 1980s. By the mid 1990s, most of the UNOCAL 76 stations were gone, most of their locations were taken over by other brands, like Citgo, Mobil, Amoco, and Shell in my area.