Gas Stations

Started by HoJofan206, May 01, 2007, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Yes, I remember traveling to Naugatuck and Meriden months ago, I couldn't believe how much gas was, all over the state!  They must have higher state gas taxes I would imagine. Down the street from me here in Providence there is a shell station that is surprisingly typically cheaper than most of the kiwk-e-marts around here.  Right now its a $2.81 reg.

Marc82

Along West Main Street (I beleieve it is) in Meriden are 3 gas stations really close to one another. 2 are reasonably priced and the other is 10-15 cents higher at least. When Nick and I went by there in April and early July respectively we both couldn't figure out how the guy who was 10-15 cents higher made any money on gas and who'd be gullible enuff to pay that.

And for the record, Connecticut does have the highest gas tax in all of New England, but that's partially because we don't have tolls on the road.

And speaking of Connecticut and taxes, while I don't smoke, taxes on cigarettes in Connecticut have gone up to a total of $2/pack. As a cashier at Price Chopper I can tell you the average price for a pack of cigarettes is now $5.44/pack.

Ameskid

I found something interesting at the Brass Armadillo Antique Mall today (they lost their lease, and starting tomorrow, everything will be 40% off.)  The BP letters!  I got them for $30, discounted to $21 by the 30% off sale (the savings go higher by week and it closes for good September 3rd.)  They weren't in too good of shape, but I'm happy to get anything relating to gas stations! :bigsmile:  I even made a set of 24 retro gas logos like Atlantic, BP, Esso and Amoco for my locker (being a Sevvie- that's Villa-speak for a seventh grader, or at least it was this year- starts August 23rd!  Remember to mark your calendars!)  The BP letters were the logo predating the BP "sunburst."  I guess the sunburst started in 2002.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Mobil

This company merged with Exxon (big mistake!) back in 1999. Due to antitrust laws, they were forced to sell many stations to other chains. In my area, many have become LUKOIL. Their merger seems like such a waste, and was really based on greed. Their logo has been used since 1966, when they dropped "Socony" from the name. Now I use their name as my username.

DISCUSS!

kendra

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure we still have some Mobils up here, but I might be wrong.

I know I've seen some LUKOIL signage but I can't for the life of me remember where! :huh:

store215

Mobil is still pretty much everywhere except in Southeastern PA, where they became Lukoil. Many higher volume Getty stations also became Lukoil (same company)

MikeRa

All of the Mobil stations are now in the Western uS, and all of the Exxon stations are in the Eastern US.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

wwefan101

in webster maour mobile became sunco and exxon became gulf

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
All of the Mobil stations are now in the Western uS, and all of the Exxon stations are in the Eastern US.

Not everywhere - here in upstate New York, we still have mostly Mobil, with just a few widely scattered Exxons.  We had no Exxon for years, until about 5 years ago when they started to pop up in random spots (not always Mobils, sometimes just taking over empty spots).

I can only think of 1 or 2 spots that changed from Mobil to Exxon - we have more former Mobil that are now other (no name in many spots) stations.

Crawford

Plenty of Mobil gas stations around me in Rhode Island and Southeastern Mass. There are 2 Exxons stations nearby, one just off route 195, after the Washington Bridge and one in Seekonk Mass before the Showcase Cinemas.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Marc82

Plenty of both here in CT.

wwefan101

thers tsill a moblle in the next town over in fact this one got porter poteys out back for rent

C. Fontaine

Wow, Crawford, you must not be far from Providence!  I used to be around that area all the time up until about a month ago!  Hopefully the new bridge they're building will help with the traffic problems.  I can remember the GW bridge being under construction 10 years ago, and it continues today!

Anyways, I did read recently that ExxonMobil plans to sell off all of their corporately owned gas stations and run exclusively as suppliers.  That's what happened with the Exxon in Webster, MA.  Must be the idea of another CEO with a $40 million retirement "package."  Wwefan, there's also a Mobil in town on Rte. 16 in front of Indian Ranch;).

wwefan101

o yea i forgot about that  one

wwefan101

i   wacthed them change our exxon over to gulf  wich was fun to see now they got beter gas prices now ther trying to compet with hi low gas down the road

videogamer75

In Jersey pretty much all the Mobils have been converted into Lukoil with a couple of Exxons here and there.

Mobil

Here's a classic Nixon photo from 1968 in Philadelphia!!! I know an auto service shop, used to be a Mobil, that still has a faded sign like this! This sign said "Mobilgas" originally and had the flying red horse.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Here's a classic Nixon photo from 1968 in Philadelphia!!! I know an auto service shop, used to be a Mobil, that still has a faded sign like this! This sign said "Mobilgas" originally and had the flying red horse.

That "flying red horse" is called "Pegasus."

Crawford

Someone in another post mentioned a Mobil turning into a Gulf station, the Exxon station in Seekonk is now a Gulf, it is like it happened overnight. C Fontaine, I live in East Providence and can always tell when traffic is backed up on the highway since drivers seeking alternate routes will then clog up my street. I doubt the new bridge will make much of a difference, route 195 is a horror show and always has been. From what I hear they are rebuilding the Washington bridge from a twinned bridge into a single 8 lane one. Could be worse, they could be making it back into a drawbridge.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Neel

In Southern California there are mostly Mobil....but today, I happened to see an Exxon in West Covina. There are a few Exxon scattered here and there. Most of the Exxon look old and cheap compared to the Mobile stations. I don't understand why there are still a few Exxon left.

On another note, the last Texaco changed to Shell about a year ago near my house.

jmcnamara96

in NH Exxons are changing to Gulf and some Mobil are now Sunnoco

Mobil

A former Exxon. This one appears to have opened after the ExxonMobil merger, but closed by 2003.

rjstheiv

rjstheiv

A GetGO gas station in Brentwood PA. This is a former Phar-mor location.

http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Search.aspx

rjstheiv

This is the Haddads on Lebanon Church Road. This place has a car wash, a truck rental place and a gas station. THe gas Station turned into a BP in 2002 and in 2006 it turned to a gas station called Haddads.

rjstheiv

This BP is on Buttermilk Hollow road. The signs have changed since this pic. I am guessing this pic is from around 1999.

http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Search.aspx

rjstheiv

The Kezhmos on Brownsville road in Brentwood PA.

rjstheiv

The kezhmos sign.

rjstheiv

rjstheiv

Get GO in West Mifflin PA.