Main Menu

Ames: Beckley, West Virginia

Started by Anonymous, April 12, 2005, 09:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I just thought I would help out and give a little info on the Ames that was in my town. It was located at adress  20-By-Pass Plaza US Route 19, Beckley, WV 25801. This Ames was origionally a Hills store. It was a Hills from the time it was built until 1998 when they closed nationally. The next year Ames moved into the building. Sadly the store closed down when all of Ames did in 2002. The building sat there with the Ames signs still up for about 2 years. Then in 2004 a Magic Mart moved into the building, and is still operating there today.

I don't have any pictures of it when it was an Ames, but I could get some of the building it was in some time in the future. I figure I'm the only one who's ever been to this one, or possibly the only one who's been to WV. :boring:

C. Fontaine

A picture would be great!  Thanks for the info!

tokensafari

Crap!!! I was planning a trip to Beckley to get pics. That's a load of poo.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
I just thought I would help out and give a little info on the Ames that was in my town. It was located at adress  20-By-Pass Plaza US Route 19, Beckley, WV 25801. This Ames was origionally a Hills store. It was a Hills from the time it was built until 1998 when they closed nationally. The next year Ames moved into the building. Sadly the store closed down when all of Ames did in 2002. The building sat there with the Ames signs still up for about 2 years. Then in 2004 a Magic Mart moved into the building, and is still operating there today.

I don't have any pictures of it when it was an Ames, but I could get some of the building it was in some time in the future. I figure I'm the only one who's ever been to this one, or possibly the only one who's been to WV. :boring:

"Magic Mart" WHAT KIND OF STORENAME IS THAT?

makes no sense

AGAIN uses "mart"

sounds stupid

need a little info on what "Magic Mart is lol:insane:

XDeSuEhTX

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
Crap!!! I was planning a trip to Beckley to get pics. That's a load of poo.

Feel free to if you want. I haven't been able to get any yet. Besides,  I can't match your photography skills. :P
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

tokensafari

thanks, but they aren't truly that great. Where @ in WV are you exactly?

XDeSuEhTX

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
thanks, but they aren't truly that great. Where @ in WV are you exactly?

It's a surrounding area to Beckley called Daniels.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

I recently found out some more info on Ames in my area.

As it turns out, the short lived Ames I remember from 1999-2002 was not the only Ames we had in the area, there was another one before it.

The first location we had was in what is now a local dead/ghost mall, which happens to be right down the road from the Ames location I remember. When the mall first opened, Murphy's Mart was one of it's three anchors. It was also the first one to go, not too long after the mall opened. Come to find out, Ames was the store that replaced it and filled in as the third anchor. Although I think it only lasted no more than decade if that... I'm not sure of why the location closed, but I'm quite sure it did some time in the 80's, long before the former Hills location down the road became Ames in the late 90's.

The location has been several things since it closed, and is now a split between a Gabriel Brothers, and a bingo place.

XDeSuEhTX

Okay, I finally went and got some pics of the former Ames in Beckley, after three years procrastonation.

First store.

Former Ames in the By-Pass-Plaza on Robert C. Byrd Drive. Originally Hills, was Ames from 1999 to 2002. Now Magic Mart since 2004.

Second store.

Former Ames in the now dead Raleigh Mall, also on Robert C. Byrd Drive. Originally Murphy's Mart, was Ames from 1985 and 1990, and closed during the first bankruptcy. Originally one of the mall anchors, it is now 2/3 Gabriel Brother's, and 1/3 local bingo.

I was told this portion was used as a garden center for the Ames.

C. Fontaine

Excellent job!  These will go into the store locator!

wwefan101

great pics  do they sell magic powers at magic mart