Mervyn's

Started by ameskmart1, January 09, 2006, 06:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ameskmart1

Mervyn's is department store which was owned by Target
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

d_fife

where is mervyn's locked and are they like macy's.

ameskmart1

Mervyn's is  located in the southwest and they are the size of Kohl's stores

ameskmart1

Westland, MI (Now Closed)

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
Mervyn's is closing all their Oregon and Washington stores in 2007
http://www.mervyns.com/corp/press_release/Mervyns_to_exit_Oregon_Washington_markets_in_2007.pdf

why is mervyn's doing that!!!! are tyhey in trouble?

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

Store closing in Boise, ID

Marc82

That's all she wrote. Mervyn's is GOB. All remaining 149 stores will be closing after the holidays. GOB Sales will be held during the holiday shopping season.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20081018-9999-1b18mervyns.html

Zayre88

QuoteFounder Says Mervyn's 'Raped' By Corporate Greed

Dec 3, 2008 7:29 pm US/Pacific

HAYWARD (CBS 5) ― He's a man whose proudest accomplishment was turning a single store in San Lorenzo into a successful multi-million dollar store chain. And now, as the company goes under, Mervin Morris is speaking out, saying the current Mervyn's bankruptcy is a tragedy.

Morris has been watching with sadness and anger over the past few months the fate of the hundreds of employees laid off from the company he founded. Many of them, as CBS 5 reported, were with the company for decades.

"You had some very loyal employees," CBS 5 asked him in an interview. "We sure did have," he said. "And that is one of the things that made the company, there's no question about it."

(VIDEO)
http://cbs5.com/investigates/mervyns.rape.bankruptcy.2.879509.html

Jonah Norason

I don't want to use the Mervyns store locator (because primarily I don't know zip codes) but is there a list of former Mervyn's locations, past through present? I know of a couple of Texas ones and some Cali ones, but there has to be more. Please respond...thanks!

XDeSuEhTX

Can't help you with the location list.

I've never heard of them before just recently, and I thought they were still open.

I did see a vacant one that still had it's signs/logos up on Windows Live maps in Tucson, AZ, just yesterday.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

nims57

Do you know the ones in the Houston area?

Jonah Norason

Never were. A few Florida locations shut down in 1997 or so, next to axe were the 2005 round of closings, which shut stores down in Colorado, Michigan, Washington, most of Texas, and Louisiana, then came the big death in 2008, which terminated the remaining stores concentrated in Cali along with stores in west Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

TenPoundHammer

I know where all the Michigan ones were. IIRC they all opened up between 1985 and 1989. Strangely, all were new builds save for Burton, which used to be The Fair Store, whatever that was.

Ann Arbor - now a Whole Foods Market
Burton (Courtland Center) - expanded, now a relocated JCPenney
Dearborn - now Burlington Coat Factory
Flint (Genesee Valley Center)- now Burlington Coat Factory
Lansing (Lansing Mall) - later Steve & Barry's, now empty again
Livonia (Livonia Mall) - vacant
Madison Heights    - vacant
Novi - now Inside Out Recreation
Okemos (Meridian Mall) - now Younkers Men's & Home
Pontiac - vacant
Portage (Crossroads Mall) - now Burlington Coat Factory
Taylor (Southland Center) - vacant
Utica    - vacant
Warren (Universal Mall) - torn down
Westland - now Burlington Coat Factory

nibw

ameskmart1

QuoteFamily Retakes Mervyn's Name, May Make Comeback

(CBS 5) Just months after declaring bankruptcy and shutting down all its stores, Mervyn's could be making a comeback of sorts.

Mervin Morris, the founding father who gave Mervyns its name, told CBS 5 Investigates last December that he felt his former company had been "raped" by the equity investors who bought it just a couple of years ago. Now his sons are taking back the Mervyns name.

For the Morris sons, this business is all in the family. "My dad built a fabulous chain of stores which was unfortunately mismanaged in the last few years. We wanted to get the family name back or his name back, see if we could create it again," said Mervin's son Jeff Morris.

So Jeff Morris and his two brothers purchased the Mervyn's name, and intellectual property, like the all-important customer lists. Their plan? Open Mervyns dot com. And it's not just about family loyalty. "We actually think there's really an opportunity to do something that will be a successful commercial venture," Jeff Morris said.

Succesful, by turning those brick and mortar stores into a store online where customers would find their favorite brands once again. Merv Morris, the man who in 1949 turned a single store in San Lorenzo into a multi-million dollar national chain, said he told his sons, don't buy on emotion: "I advised them not to invest the family fortune, but they are smart enough they don't need my advice on that!"

The Mervyn's chain went bankrupt last year after it was purchased by private equity firms.

Now, Morris' three sons are developing what they hope will be a better business plan to put Mervyn's back on top. "I don't think you're going to see Mervyn's reincarnated in its original form. I think there will be a Mervyn's name on the horizon somewhere there, just how and when and what the magnitude will be I am not sure. That is going to depend on my boys," said Merv Morris.

In a bankruptcy auction the family confirms four other companies bought mervyn's other assets, including its most popular clothing lines High Sierra, Hillard and Hanson and Ellemeno.

http://cbs5.com/investigates/mervyns.name.comeback.2.933168.html

Jonah Norason

Hopefully they won't revive it as some cheap Internet site like Wards and Service Merchandise. Maybe they'll reopen their stores.

....has that ever happened?

Mervyns

12990 Willow Chase Dr., Houston, TX
1201 Lake Woodlands Dr., The Woodlands, TX
(both closed in 2005)

Jonah Norason

Lake Woodlands Dr. is The Woodlands Mall
Willow Chase Dr. has to be The Commons at Willowbrook (across from Willowbrook Mall)

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonah Norason
Lake Woodlands Dr. is The Woodlands Mall
Willow Chase Dr. has to be The Commons at Willowbrook (across from Willowbrook Mall)

What do you know about these stores?

Jonah Norason

Got it!
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-17820877_ITM
confirms 8 stores...

Houston, TX
All closed in 1/2006 unless otherwise noted

Deerbrook Mall (opened 1984) - divided into Barnes & Noble and Circuit City?
San Jacinto Mall (1981) - vacant
Baybrook Mall (1978?) - vacant
Greenspoint Mall (1989 in former Lord & Taylor, closed 1998) - now Fitness Connection
The Woodlands Mall (1994) - divided between The Woodlands Children's Museum and the Woodlands Xploration Station
West Oaks Mall (1984) - later Steve & Barry's, now vacant
Memorial City Mall (1989 in former Lord & Taylor) - demolished for redevelopment
First Colony Mall (1996) - now a second Dillard's
The Commons at Deerbrook (19??) - unknown