Main Menu

Walmart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Marc B on September 17, 2016, 04:13:13 PM
Renovations have been completed in Bristol, Connecticut. Grand Reopening was today. Not sure when I can get pictures seeing that I don't have a car.

I went to the newly remodeled Walmart yesterday. - A quick unplanned trip to buy a watch on my way to work at Stop & Shop on Pine Street. The outside of the building has been painted Industrial Grey and the area where the new Walmart sign is is painted blue. For industrial grey it doesn't look bad. Inside the former Portrait Studio which at one time they were trying to lease out is gone - replaced by a wall with a door. Jackson-Hewitt used to set up in their during tax time. Wonder what's gonna happen with that now. Some things have been moved around and they expanded the grocery section. There's also new signage. I didn't have time to see the entire store.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on September 30, 2016, 06:25:04 AM
Renovations have been completed in Bristol, Connecticut. Grand Reopening was today. Not sure when I can get pictures seeing that I don't have a car.

I went to the newly remodeled Walmart yesterday. - A quick unplanned trip to buy a watch on my way to work at Stop & Shop on Pine Street. The outside of the building has been painted Industrial Grey and the area where the new Walmart sign is is painted blue. For industrial grey it doesn't look bad. Inside the former Portrait Studio which at one time they were trying to lease out is gone - replaced by a wall with a door. Jackson-Hewitt used to set up in their during tax time. Wonder what's gonna happen with that now. Some things have been moved around and they expanded the grocery section. There's also new signage. I didn't have time to see the entire store.

They had a portrait studio? What happened to it?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: JimSawhill on October 01, 2016, 07:45:54 AM
Quote from: Marc B on September 30, 2016, 06:25:04 AM

They had a portrait studio? What happened to it?

Closed 4 or 5 yrs ago.

TheFugitive

Makes sense.  The threat today is no longer Target or Kmart, but Amazon.

giantsfan2016

The Walmart Neighborhood Market in Bristol, CT cut their hours again. Last year they ceased being open 24/7 and changed their hours to 6AM-12AM. Now their hours are 6AM-10PM.

giantsfan2016

You often hear stories of communities against Walmart being built. Here's a group in favor of Walmart building a Supercenter in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

https://www.facebook.com/woodlawncrossing/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on October 17, 2016, 05:37:40 AM
You often hear stories of communities against Walmart being built. Here's a group in favor of Walmart building a Supercenter in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

https://www.facebook.com/woodlawncrossing/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Makes sense they'd have to move it, since the current Walmart is in a plaza with the first re-done Market 32 in MA.
Also one of the few smaller "regular" Walmart stores left around.

retailisking

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Wal*Mart store in Round Lake Beach, Illinois

1987:

2009:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonrev/3993873481/

The store has since relocated to a "Supercenter", leaving this store vacant. The store has since been demolished for a Meijer.

retailisking

Instead, it will offer free two-day shipping with a $35 minimum purchase
http://www.retaildive.com/news/wal-mart-scraps-prime-like-shippingpass-membership/435121/

TheFugitive

I just got free two-day shipping from Walmart on a vacuum cleaner.
That was NOT a small box.   Almost too good to be true.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I hope Walmart merges with fellow Arkansas-based retailer Dillard's in the future.

retailisking

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 26, 2017, 08:07:13 PM
I hope Walmart merges with fellow Arkansas-based retailer Dillard's in the future.
Walmart is a discount retailer; Dillard's is too far out of their core competency. And besides, the last thing Walmart is interested in is more bricks-and-mortar; they are only buying online businesses these days. Sycamore Partners would be a more likely suitor, though there's (I assume) quite a bit of overlap with Belk. Another possibility is HBC, especially if the Macy's pursuit doesn't work out. There were rumors of a HBC buyout of Dillard's back in 2014. Dillard's is struggling with weak comps at the moment, though that's hardly unique in the department store space.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dillards-dds-misses-q4-earnings-135901608.html

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 26, 2017, 08:07:13 PM

Sorry bro. That's the stupidest idea I've heard since I heard KMART and Sears were getting married 12 years ago. Albeit it's a stupid idea for a different reason.

TheFugitive

The thought of those "Walmart People" showing up at a Dillards is quite
amusing though.

giantsfan2016

Walmart has canceled their plans to build a Supercenter on Spence Street in Manchester, CT. The property was once home to a KMART. The Buckland Hills Store remains open.

http://www.courant.com/community/manchester/hc-manchester-no-walmart-0419-20170418-story.html

Bdubs

Quote from: Brammy on April 18, 2017, 02:59:15 PM
Walmart has canceled their plans to build a Supercenter on Spence Street in Manchester, CT. The property was once home to a KMART. The Buckland Hills Store remains open.

http://www.courant.com/community/manchester/hc-manchester-no-walmart-0419-20170418-story.html
While it's smart of WalMart not to over saturate a market, their traditional store across town is the busiest WalMart in the state, even out pacing their Suoercenter counterparts.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Brammy on October 07, 2016, 08:18:52 AM
The Walmart Neighborhood Market in Bristol, CT cut their hours again. Last year they ceased being open 24/7 and changed their hours to 6AM-12AM. Now their hours are 6AM-10PM.

They changed their hours back to 6AM-Midight. I think they also change some things around since I was last there in October 2016.

giantsfan2016

Like the former Shaw's on West Main Street the former Walmart (formerly Caldor) on Farmington Avenue in New Britain is likely to become a self-storage facility.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/NBH-General+News/282473/longvacant-walmart-may-become-selfstorage-facility

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Brammy on April 29, 2017, 02:38:47 PM
Quote from: Brammy on October 07, 2016, 08:18:52 AM

They changed their hours back to 6AM-Midight. I think they also change some things around since I was last there in October 2016.

Well s h i t. The Bristol, CT Walmart Neighborhood Market is closing on June 9th. That concept failed in Connecticut. Both locations have now closed. It was never busy. I guess people in CT couldn't grasp the concept of a Walmart that just sells groceries and a little bit of General Merchandise.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/35431279/walmart-neighborhood-market-in-bristol-to-close-its-doors

BillyGr

Quote from: Brammy on May 15, 2017, 08:42:37 PM
Well s h i t. The Bristol, CT Walmart Neighborhood Market is closing on June 9th. That concept failed in Connecticut. Both locations have now closed. It was never busy. I guess people in CT couldn't grasp the concept of a Walmart that just sells groceries and a little bit of General Merchandise.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/35431279/walmart-neighborhood-market-in-bristol-to-close-its-doors

Same for the one (and only) location in upstate NY, in Niskayuna (in a newer plaza built across from the former Mohawk Mall site, for those who know the area).

As was pointed out on local sites, all three of the supermarket chains in the greater Albany area have locations fairly close by to this store (one being in the plaza across the street on the old mall site), plus a Target with the PFresh in that plaza across the street as well may have had something to do with it never taking off.

giantsfan2016

I'm sure it didn't help in Bristol that Price Chopper is right next door in the neighboring (but separately owned) Bristol Commons Plaza. Price Chopper bullied their way into that former KMART (formerly Caldor and WT Grant) when Shaw's still occupied the spot where the Neighborhood Market is located. - PC threatened to sue the city of Bristol if they weren't allowed to open in the former KMART. (It should be mentioned in another nearby city they actually have an ordinance that prohibits 2 grocery stores from locating next one another).

Until June 9th Along the stretch of Route 6 that goes from Price Chopper to The Farmington Town-line there is Price Chopper, Walmart Neigborhood Market, Stop & Shop, Shoprite, and a regular Walmart. (It's a 2.3 mile stretch). Plus there is another Stop & Shop on the other side of Bristol on the Bristol/Plainville line. And there is an Aldi at the corner of Mountain Road and Route 229.

scottw73

Quote from: Brammy on May 16, 2017, 01:08:12 PM
I'm sure it didn't help in Bristol that Price Chopper is right next door in the neighboring (but separately owned) Bristol Commons Plaza. Price Chopper bullied their way into that former KMART (formerly Caldor and WT Grant) when Shaw's still occupied the spot where the Neighborhood Market is located. - PC threatened to sue the city of Bristol if they weren't allowed to open in the former KMART. (It should be mentioned in another nearby city they actually have an ordinance that prohibits 2 grocery stores from locating next one another).

Until June 9th Along the stretch of Route 6 that goes from Price Chopper to The Farmington Town-line there is Price Chopper, Walmart Neigborhood Market, Stop & Shop, Shoprite, and a regular Walmart. (It's a 2.3 mile stretch). Plus there is another Stop & Shop on the other side of Bristol on the Bristol/Plainville line. And there is an Aldi at the corner of Mountain Road and Route 229.

Isn't it odd that a Neighborhood Market and a regular Walmart would be so close to each other?? No wonder the neighborhood market concept failed in Bristol

BillyGr

Quote from: scottw73 on May 17, 2017, 07:35:28 AM
Quote from: Brammy on May 16, 2017, 01:08:12 PM

Isn't it odd that a Neighborhood Market and a regular Walmart would be so close to each other?? No wonder the neighborhood market concept failed in Bristol

Might depend what is meant by "regular" Walmart.  If it's one that has never been expanded to a superstore size (we found one of those out in Western NY, a small plaza with that and a Tops supermarket) maybe they were trying to offset that by having the grocery side in a separate location but nearby?

giantsfan2016

They put the Neighborhood Market in Bristol because they weren't allowed by the city of Bristol to build an addition onto their 122,000 Square Foot Store. That was Walmart's Plan B.