Walmart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

Here are 2 pics of the Walmart in St. Marys, GA.  First is from 11/2010:

2nd is from 5/2014:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Stork of The Weak

Why did the former Walmart in Freehold, NJ relocate around 2006 but the new store wasn't a Supercenter? It has become one sometime in the past year or two, after an expansion. Could the old store have had a fire or maybe have been deemed structurally unsound, forcing an evacuation, but not one that would require demolition of the building? I also am wondering if because this store is on the outlot of a fairly upscale mall, maybe the mall owners (the same landlords of the old Walmart property?) kicked Walmart out of this site so that more upscale stores could be opened at the spot? Raymour & Flanigan Furniture and Christmas Tree Shops now share the old Walmart building, so both new tenants definitely seem like a step up.

But what seems very odd is that Linens N Things and Marshalls were next to the Walmart when it was open, but both have since closed. Linens N Things and Marshalls were once both part of Melville Corporation. Perhaps a supermarket (Pathmark or maybe Grand Union?) was once next to the Walmart and ended up as the LNT and Marshalls? It does look like both the LNT and Marshalls spaces here could have once been one store that was split in half after closing.

JoshAustin610

According to this article (http://nt.gmnews.com/news/2005-12-07/front_page/001.html), only Sam's Club was near the mall, not Walmart; the Walmart on W. Main St was built new.  When it opened around 2006-07 it was still difficult to open Supercenters in NJ due to the supermarket opposition, but they were eventually able to expand in 2012.

Stork of The Weak

Interesting. The Christmas Tree Shops/Raymour & Flanigan building has the exact same shape as most early-mid 90's Walmart stores (I admit I assumed a Walmart and not Sam's was here), but most Sam's Club stores of the same era were shaped very differently. Perhaps this Sam's was planned as a standard Walmart, but the plans had to be changed at the last minute for some reason? I can name several examples of an early-mid 90's Walmart next to a Sam's Club where the Walmart building was identical to the Sam's building in Freehold, yet the Sam's looked very different.

Stork of The Weak

If my theory is correct might the Sam's have looked exactly like a Walmart of the 90's, with the standard 90's Walmart facade? That would have been really neat to see when it was open, especially because Sam's stores used to look so dingy, but they have improved a lot over the years.

MikeRa

The 2 Sam Club's near me are an unique contrast.  The Sam's Club at Franklin Mills Mall is clearly a Sam's Club building, but the Sam's club in Langhorne/Levittown/Middletown Township, Pa is a PACE Membership Club building that is built to a now-shuttered Kmart, both which were built on the site of the former Langhorne Speedway auto racetrack.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Why split up Walmart? There happens to be some competition already. Here's a list of competitors:

Discount stores/Supercenters:

National competitors:
*Kmart
**Kmart Supercenter
*Target
**Super Target

Regional competitors:
*Shopko
*Meijer
*Fred Meyer

------------------------
Supermarkets:
International competitors:
*ALDI

National competitors:
*SuperValu
*IGA
*Piggly Wiggly
*Save-A-Lot

Regional competitors:
*Sendik's
*Sentry
*Roundy's
**Copps Food Center
**Pick 'n Save
**Rainbow Foods
**Metro Market
*Winn-Dixie
*Woodman's
*Festival Foods
*Jungle Jim's International Market
*A&P
*Fresh & Easy
*Jewel-Osco
*Dominick's
*Schnuck's
*Safeway
*Kroger
*Meijer
*Pat's Foods
*Shaw's
*Hannaford
*Publix

---------------
Hardware/home improvement stores:

*True Value
*Ace
*Do It Best
*The Home Depot
*Lowe's
*Menards

--------------
Farm and fleet stores:

*Mills' Fleet Farm
*Blaine's Farm & Fleet

--------------
Closeouts/overstock/bargains:

*Big Lots

TheFugitive

Out of all of those the only one which I think is genuine competition to Walmart in the General Merchandise
category is Meijer.  And then only in Michigan, where the locals are extremely loyal to Meijer.

Kmart is basically roadkill at this point.

In the grocery category it's a different story.  Lots of grocery chains out there
giving them a run for their money.  Grocers adapted long ago to surviving on much smaller margins.

standa

Do the Walmart Neighborhood Markets have service departments (floral, deli, bakery and seafood)?

ynkeesfn82

The one in Bristol, CT has a deli dept. I'm told they have a bakery, but I've never seen it.

jamesway_95

Wal-Mart Supercenter in Williamstown, NJ. This store opened up about two years ago. This picture is from September 2012. I remember being shocked when I saw the ''Coming Soon'' sign for this store prior to its construction; since there was already a relatively close Wal-Mart Supercenter in Turnersville. Down the road from this store is the Williamstown Shopping Center; which once contained a Jamesway and an Acme supermarket. The Jamesway closed in 1993 and the Acme closed in early 1995. Part of the old Acme is now a Dollar General, while the rest remains vacant (almost 20 years later!). The old Jamesway is currently a big gym called ''Rush Fitness''.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: jamesway_95 on September 05, 2014, 10:59:41 PM
Part of the old Acme is now a Dollar General, while the rest remains vacant (almost 20 years later!).

Sometimes that happens. It could be because of many different factors - poor economic conditions in the area, or the wrong demographics, or maybe ACME still had a lease even though they closed.

Here in Connecticut ACME's sister store Shaw's closed in New Britain in October 2006 and still sits empty partially because Shaw's still has a lease until 2016 and the other reason is poor demographics in the area.

In the town I live in Southington Shaw's closed in 2006 and immediately signed a 10 year lease. Wakefern's lawyers were able to terminate Shaw's lease so The Drust Family could open a Shoprite there.

In Bristol, CT Shaw's Closed in 2009. They had a lease until 2014. Walmart's lawyer's were able to terminated Shaw's lease and started turning the building into a Walmart Neighborhood Market in 2012, which opened in 2013.

Also in Bristol, CT Waldbaum's Foodmart closed their small store in the West End around 1998. It sat empty for a few years and became an IGA store. They closed after a couple of years and sat vacant until 2013 when Dollar General opened. Reasons? Poor demographics. This is the only retail building along that strip. The building was run-down. The rest of the building remains empty. 2 spaces remain - the rest of the old Walbaum's and a former Brook's Pharmacy.

BillyGr

It makes some sense that Acme would want to keep other stores from opening in their space, as there are probably other Acme stores in a reasonably close area that they hope customers who used to go to the closed store will go to instead.

However, the Shaw's ones don't make sense at all - since they completely left CT, why keep unused stores - it's not likely that people will be trekking to MA or RI to go to another Shaw's, so they don't seem to benefit any by keeping a "competitor" out of CT, since they didn't seem interested in competing there.

Quote from: Marc B on September 06, 2014, 08:04:40 AM
Quote from: jamesway_95 on September 05, 2014, 10:59:41 PM
Part of the old Acme is now a Dollar General, while the rest remains vacant (almost 20 years later!).

Sometimes that happens. It could be because of many different factors - poor economic conditions in the area, or the wrong demographics, or maybe ACME still had a lease even though they closed.

Here in Connecticut ACME's sister store Shaw's closed in New Britain in October 2006 and still sits empty partially because Shaw's still has a lease until 2016 and the other reason is poor demographics in the area.

In the town I live in Southington Shaw's closed in 2006 and immediately signed a 10 year lease. Wakefern's lawyers were able to terminate Shaw's lease so The Drust Family could open a Shoprite there.

In Bristol, CT Shaw's Closed in 2009. They had a lease until 2014. Walmart's lawyer's were able to terminated Shaw's lease and started turning the building into a Walmart Neighborhood Market in 2012, which opened in 2013.

Also in Bristol, CT Waldbaum's Foodmart closed their small store in the West End around 1998. It sat empty for a few years and became an IGA store. They closed after a couple of years and sat vacant until 2013 when Dollar General opened. Reasons? Poor demographics. This is the only retail building along that strip. The building was run-down. The rest of the building remains empty. 2 spaces remain - the rest of the old Walbaum's and a former Brook's Pharmacy.

jamesway_95

Quote from: BillyGr on September 06, 2014, 10:04:23 AM
It makes some sense that Acme would want to keep other stores from opening in their space, as there are probably other Acme stores in a reasonably close area that they hope customers who used to go to the closed store will go to instead.

Acme did hold the lease to the closed Williamstown store for a while after closing. Monroe Township actually offered Acme tax cuts in order to entice them to keep the store open; but that effort failed, obviously.

In 1991, an Acme opened up in Turnersville alongside the Wal-Mart I mentioned earlier. The lease stipulated that as long as Acme was located within the shopping center, Wal-Mart couldn't expand into a Supercenter. Acme ended up relocating to a larger store in nearby Sicklerville in the early 2000s; and Wal-Mart expanded its store not long after that. The Sicklerville store seems to do reasonably well, though; even with all the competition around it.

TRU7536

Quote from: standa on June 19, 2014, 08:43:02 AM
Do the Walmart Neighborhood Markets have service departments (floral, deli, bakery and seafood)?

I went to the one on West Hartford center and they have a deli and bakery.  It was tiny and in the corner.

TRU7536

Quote from: Ames Newington on September 16, 2013, 02:34:19 PM
I guess the expansion of the Walmart store in Newington is not happening?

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18358104/3164-Berlin-Turnpike-Newington-CT/

So Wal-Mart does own the former Bassett store and I don't know if they want to expand, they are looking to sublease. The windows don't have for lease signs anymore though.

ynkeesfn82

It would seem to me that Walmart is slowing its expansion plans. When I was working in Bristol for the Christmas Season in 2013 they told us Bristol and Newington were the 2 stores that were becoming Super Centers in 2014. That has not happened.

Hudsons81

Quote from: Marc B on September 06, 2014, 06:06:56 PM
It would seem to me that Walmart is slowing its expansion plans. When I was working in Bristol for the Christmas Season in 2013 they told us Bristol and Newington were the 2 stores that were becoming Super Centers in 2014. That has not happened.

This must've been due to local opposition.

EddieJ1984

Today should be the last day Walmart across the street from the newly renamed Philadelphia Mills (Formely Franklin Mills) will be opened.
I was there sunday. The building started as a Carrefour then apparently was a Bradlees, became Walmart in 1998. Was the first walmart I was in back then.

and heres a pic of the new walmart

EddieJ1984

Was in the new Walmart at Philadelphia Mills yesterday, here is some pics.

The connecting hallway from the philadelphia malls connecting to the entrance.

Hudsons81

Here's the Walmart on Dix-Toledo Highway near Eureka Road in Southgate, Michigan. It opened on September 14, 2011 on the former site of the dead Southtowne Crossing Shopping Center (which itself replaced the former Michigan Drive-In Theater in the mid-1980's). It is store #5842, according to a receipt from a Christmas album I purchased there today.

There is also a Liquor Store inside this one-is this the only Walmart with it's own in-store liquor store?

There are other Walmart locations with liquor stores, including DePere, Wisconsin for example. That's the closest Walmart store to me that has its own liquor store.

buzz86us

I sort of get the feeling that in the next few years the rotterdam mall is going to become a big box center with the walmart on altamont ave becoming a super walmart in Rotterdam NY or atleast relocating to the mall

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on September 29, 2014, 08:25:54 PM
Was in the new Walmart at Philadelphia Mills yesterday, here is some pics.

The connecting hallway from the philadelphia malls connecting to the entrance.

I was there this past Monday, and the new Philadelphia (Franklin) Mills Walmart is awesome.

Hudsons81

Here's a question: are there any Walmart stores out there that have a restaurant tenant other than Checkers, McDonald's, Subway, Sonic, Auntie Anne's, Papa John's, Papa Murphy's, Wendy's or Dunkin Donuts? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Walmart out there with a Burger King as the restaurant tenant-if that's the case, then they've covered the "big 3" fast-food hamburger chains.

jason83080

I thought Walmart/Subway was the one-and-only partnership now? Although, of the four 'Super' Walmarts that we have, the largest of the four - Chestnut Commons, Elyria, OH - has a McDonald's inside. Avon and Lorain both have Subways, and Oberlin - a smaller supercenter format store - doesn't have any snack bar. If I remember correctly, Sandusky's super-huge Walmart has a Subway inside.

I didn't know all of those other restaurants took up shop there. Heck, I thought Walmart/McDonald's was a partnership that died, since - when they renovated it - North Olmsted's McDonald's became a Subway.

jamesway_95

The Wal-Marts in Hammonton, NJ and Williamstown, NJ have both a Subway and an Auntie Anne's. The Wal-Mart in Mays Landing, NJ has both a Subway and a Philly Pretzel Factory.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on September 06, 2014, 06:06:56 PM

According to the property management group that owns the Wal-Mart plaza in Newington, the Bassett part is back on as being available to lease again. Looks like Wal-Mart their will not becoming a supercenter.

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 29, 2014, 08:34:16 PM
Here's a question: are there any Walmart stores out there that have a restaurant tenant other than Checkers, McDonald's, Subway, Sonic, Auntie Anne's, Papa John's, Papa Murphy's, Wendy's or Dunkin Donuts? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Walmart out there with a Burger King as the restaurant tenant-if that's the case, then they've covered the "big 3" fast-food hamburger chains.

I've never seen a Walmart with a  Burger King or Wendy's inside it, maybe because of Walmart's exclusive contracts with McDonald's, Subway, or Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins. Kmart did however try opening Wendy's in some of their stores in the 1980s, and Jamesway had Burger King.

Hudsons81

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 06, 2015, 09:59:06 PM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 29, 2014, 08:34:16 PM

I've never seen a Walmart with a  Burger King or Wendy's inside it, maybe because of Walmart's exclusive contracts with McDonald's, Subway, or Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins. Kmart did however try opening Wendy's in some of their stores in the 1980s, and Jamesway had Burger King.

Actually, there is a Walmart in the Reno, Nevada area that has always had a Wendy's inside, even when it converted to a Supercenter.