Main Menu

Walmart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on October 31, 2013, 01:18:44 PM
They're finally going to remodel the Bristol, Connecticut Walmart after the first of the year. It was four years ago when Walmart began the remodel process in Connecticut. Not counting stores that are going to be converted to the Supercenter Concept I believe Bristol is the last store to get remodeled. The reason they waited so long to do the Bristol store is because they had a mini-remodel about 2 years before they began remodeling the other stores. Bye-bye Blue exterior, Hello Brown Exterior. Bye-Bye to the old Walmart logo with the  Star in-between the words Wal and Mart, Hello to the new logo with the Walmart Spark. 

Scratch that. From what I heard at Orientation yesterday the remodel will include a conversion to the Supercenter format. It should be interesting with the Neighborhood Market they just opened 2.3 miles down Route 6 from the store. The building is also 122,737 square feet  which is small by Supercenter standards.

EddieJ1984

So to update, they knocked down the building that was steve & barrys last (and before that boscovs) at franklin mills mall to make way for the walmart supercenter.

Kmart4life

ynkeesfn82

Can someone who actually lives in the Newington area tell me what's going on with The Newington Walmart? I'm hearing conflicting stories from different co-workers of mine at the Bristol store. Some say the expansion hasn't begun yet, some say it's complete, and someone said it's on hold indefinitely because of a lawsuit Staples filed against both Walmart and Vornado Properties.

ynkeesfn82

There was a small electrical fire at the Walmart in Ware, Massachusetts last Thursday.

http://www.wggb.com/2013/12/05/fire-in-ware-walmart-causes-power-outages/

Ames Newington

Quote from: Marc B on December 10, 2013, 10:52:36 PM
Can someone who actually lives in the Newington area tell me what's going on with The Newington Walmart? I'm hearing conflicting stories from different co-workers of mine at the Bristol store. Some say the expansion hasn't begun yet, some say it's complete, and someone said it's on hold indefinitely because of a lawsuit Staples filed against both Walmart and Vornado Properties.

As far as I know, it hasn't started yet. Walmart just puts out bikes, outdoor merchandise, etc in front of the former Bassett where the expansion is going to be. Didn't know about the Staples lawsuit. I do know that many real estate websites have a listing for the former Bassett which would indicate a third tenant is being sought out. I heard Walmart was supposed to go ahead with the project, too, so I don't know. They have until next year I think.

vwnut13

Is walmart still building "Regular Walmarts" anyhwere other than Vermont?

The Walmart in St. Albans that was finished in 2013 is a "regular Walmart".  Only one entrance into the main store, and the groceries don't have their own side of the store.  No Deli, no fruit, just a plain old Walmart.

Saw a post on the internet of an abandoned Walmart that was built in 2006 and "probably one of the last non-super walmarts built."  Snickered when I read that.  ;)

BillyGr

Quote from: vwnut13 on January 04, 2014, 04:24:33 AM
Is walmart still building "Regular Walmarts" anyhwere other than Vermont?
The Walmart in St. Albans that was finished in 2013 is a "regular Walmart".  Only one entrance into the main store, and the groceries don't have their own side of the store.  No Deli, no fruit, just a plain old Walmart.
Saw a post on the internet of an abandoned Walmart that was built in 2006 and "probably one of the last non-super walmarts built."  Snickered when I read that.  ;)

Probably not, unless they run into another area that has the same kind of rules that Vermont does.
In some ways it's not bad - the stores just need to be a bit more creative (see Home Depot in Bennington, combining a former Ames and old Price Chopper to make a store - it's fairly similar to a normal store, just short and wide - like taking a "normal" store, splitting it in half and putting the two halves side by side).

TRU7536

Quote from: Ames Newington on December 10, 2013, 11:03:35 PM
Quote from: Marc B on December 10, 2013, 10:52:36 PM

As far as I know, it hasn't started yet. Walmart just puts out bikes, outdoor merchandise, etc in front of the former Bassett where the expansion is going to be. Didn't know about the Staples lawsuit. I do know that many real estate websites have a listing for the former Bassett which would indicate a third tenant is being sought out. I heard Walmart was supposed to go ahead with the project, too, so I don't know. They have until next year I think.

There website states Wal-Mart is taking up both spaces. The town approved it back in December 2012 and originally were waiting for Bassett to relocated (which they did around May). Didn't hear anything about problems with Staples. I read the monthly town stuff and nothing has been mention about Wal-Mart backing out.

Only thing is to ask the town of Newington what is going on with the project.

vwnut13

Quote from: BillyGr on January 04, 2014, 01:53:35 PM
Probably not, unless they run into another area that has the same kind of rules that Vermont does.
In some ways it's not bad - the stores just need to be a bit more creative (see Home Depot in Bennington, combining a former Ames and old Price Chopper to make a store - it's fairly similar to a normal store, just short and wide - like taking a "normal" store, splitting it in half and putting the two halves side by side).

Another Walmart is going to be built in Derby, VT soon.  This one is going to be the states first supercenter.

Believe it or not, Vermont's liberal governor is actually supporting Walmart.  I guess he can see that when people have to drive 40 miles to get to a clothing store (JCPenny), and either 20 miles into Canada or 65 miles into New Hampshire to get to a Box Store, that there is a problem.

Hopefully he can convince Target to come next.

ynkeesfn82

A fire broke out tonight (2/17) in the Paint Department at the Newport, Rhode Island Walmart.

http://wpri.com/2014/02/17/fire-breaks-out-inside-newport-wal-mart/

d_fife

Quote from: vwnut13 on January 04, 2014, 04:34:57 PM

Another Walmart is going to be built in Derby, VT soon.  This one is going to be the states first supercenter.

Believe it or not, Vermont's liberal governor is actually supporting Walmart.  I guess he can see that when people have to drive 40 miles to get to a clothing store (JCPenny), and either 20 miles into Canada or 65 miles into New Hampshire to get to a Box Store, that there is a problem.

I Beleive that as after Ames closed that CREATED A HUGE HOLE in the state, esp around Derby. They had an Ames in Derby. Why didnt WAlmart just take that over? it took them 20 years to get in ST albans.

vwnut13

Quote from: d_fife on February 18, 2014, 03:50:23 PM
Quote from: vwnut13 on January 04, 2014, 04:34:57 PM

I Beleive that as after Ames closed that CREATED A HUGE HOLE in the state, esp around Derby. They had an Ames in Derby. Why didnt WAlmart just take that over? it took them 20 years to get in ST albans.

Because... Hmmm, well, I can't seem to find a way to put it nicely.

The Walmart in the Belin Mall has started their expansion.

zonemad96

Food Stamp Cuts and Bad Weather Hinder Walmart Profit

http://nytimes.com/2014/02/21/business/Walmart-reports-fourth-quarter-and-yearly-earnings.html?_r=0&referrer=

All I can say is good I hope their profits keep going down until bankrupcy.... We could never be that lucky though.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: zonemad96 on February 20, 2014, 10:30:06 AM
All I can say is good I hope their profits keep going down until bankrupcy.... We could never be that lucky though.
'
You think the country is in the frickin stuffter now? If Walmart goes under the whole F!!!ing country is in more trouble than it already is.

zonemad96

Quote from: Marc B on February 20, 2014, 01:35:07 PM
Quote from: zonemad96 on February 20, 2014, 10:30:06 AM
'
You think the country is in the frickin stuffter now? If Walmart goes under the whole F!!!ing country is in more trouble than it already is.

You do realize half of the reason our economy is frickin stuff now is because of massive corporations like Walmart as it is right? If Walmart crashed our economy would take a massive hit sure but as fast pace as the retail market changes it would only be a matter of years before new stores would replace it and bring more new jobs with it as well.

buzz86us

walmart should take over the old Barnes and Noble (started life as shoprite) by colonie center for their Neighborhood market in Albany since their main store is a pain in the ass to get to with traffic and the lack of convenient transit.

BillyGr

Quote from: buzz86us on February 25, 2014, 07:47:22 AM
walmart should take over the old Barnes and Noble (started life as shoprite) by colonie center for their Neighborhood market in Albany since their main store is a pain in the ass to get to with traffic and the lack of convenient transit.

Sounds interesting - keeping more of the stores in close proximity.

Just one minor edit though - the former ShopRite is the current Bed Bath & Beyond.  Where B&N sits was at one point, Herman's Sporting Goods, I believe but I don't remember if B&N remodeled the building or replaced it entirely (though the newer small store strip in front was added at some point).

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Stork of The Weak

What about Canadian jobs? Are they making any effort to generate those? I'm not being sarcastic, I really am offended that they would make an effort to give back to the US economy but not the Canadian economy, despite Walmart having a huge presence up north.

I'm pretty sure that whatever jobs that return to the USA will spread like wildfire to Canada and Mexico, where some of our American companies have branches. It's kind of like how Detroit, Michigan, USA's General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler automotive assembly plants have branches across the Detroit River, in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

MikeRa

The Walmart supercenter at Franklin Mills Mall, Philadelphia, PA (on the old Ports Of The World-Boscov's Outlet/Steve's & Barry's site) is coming along.  should be open by the middle of the year when the old Walmart (Former Carrefour/Bradlees) closes.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

They're finally done with the conversion of the Walmart on Flatsbush Avenue in Hartford, CT. It took them a long tine. I wonder if Bristol, CT will be next. When I worked there for 7 weeks during the Christmas Season of 2013 they said sometime in 2014 they would begin converting the store to a SuperCenter.

Stork of The Weak

Does Walmart plan to convert all their stores to the current logo? Not too surprisingly their last stores built before the newest logo was launched (about five years ago) haven't been updated yet. But I don't get why some stores from circa 2005 have been updated but not stores from circa 2000, which most certainly will NOT be relocating anytime soon.

buzz86us

Quote from: BillyGr on February 25, 2014, 02:04:12 PM
Quote from: buzz86us on February 25, 2014, 07:47:22 AM

Sounds interesting - keeping more of the stores in close proximity.

Just one minor edit though - the former ShopRite is the current Bed Bath & Beyond.  Where B&N sits was at one point, Herman's Sporting Goods, I believe but I don't remember if B&N remodeled the building or replaced it entirely (though the newer small store strip in front was added at some point).
well either that or the old jiffylube/valvoline (can't remember which) store near target the walmart in albany is a huge pain in the ass to get to..

Stork of The Weak

Lately Walmart has been experimenting with stores called Walmart Express in Chicago and maybe a few other places. Interestingly they are about the same size as the five and dime stores (such as Woolworth) that evolved into the Walmart/Kmart category of stores.

ynkeesfn82

I guess they're not going to convert the Bristol, Connecticut store into a Super center after all. Work was supposed to start in January and as of April 29th no work has been done.