Main Menu

Walmart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: vwnut13 on December 06, 2012, 02:49:26 AM
Finally, we are getting another Walmart in Vermont.

http://www.wcax.com/story/19219489/wal-mart-breaks-ground-in-st-albans

And one of the smallest walmarts in the country is expanding (Berlin, Vermont)

http://www.wcax.com/story/20150297/berlin-wal-mart-to-expand

Did they actually ever expand the store in Bennington?  I know they got approval via a town referendum quite some time ago, but it hadn't been done (or at least it didn't look like it was) the last time I was in the area (which was, admittedly a while back now).

I would have thought that one was in the same range as the quoted 65,000 Sq Ft for Berlin, maybe even less than that given it was an old 5&10 building they reused.

ynkeesfn82

So I have heard plans for the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Bristol, Connecticut have fallen through.

Meanwhile the Walmart in Cromwell, Connecticut is undergoing a remodel. Rumor has it it's going to become a super center.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on December 18, 2012, 06:34:59 PM
So I have heard plans for the Walmart Neighborhood Market in Bristol, Connecticut have fallen through.

Meanwhile the Walmart in Cromwell, Connecticut is undergoing a remodel. Rumor has it it's going to become a super center.

I sure hope the Cromwell Walmart will not put Kmart out of business.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on December 18, 2012, 06:34:59 PM

how big is that store anyways? isnt just expanding to add the grocery part? I know whats what there doing in Newington. Once Bassett leaves, they will be knocking that part down to expand the Newington Walmart (another 20,000 FS) to add the grocery part.

Jstar1994

The walmart in cromwell is expanding to about 160,000 sq ft. and will be like wallingford. It will be complete by july 2013

jason83080

Our local Walmart here in Avon, Ohio, is expanding. From the looks of things right now, they're actually matching the "50 shades of beige" exterior that the building currently has (it matches the across-the-highway Avon Commons plaza's design) instead of redoing the entire exterior in the Walmart-Brown that most other Walmarts get during their expansion/renovation.

Here's what it looked like originally:

And, here's an artist's rendering of what it should look like when it's completed in July:

Zayre88

QuoteWal-Mart continues Canadian expansion ahead of Target launch

Chain will have added 73 locations within a year by the end of January

Walmart Canada will continue to expand its presence over the next year, which will mark the arrival of its main U.S. rival â€" Target.

Walmart plans to complete at least 36 additional Supercenter projects by the end of next January â€" bringing the total number of locations by then to 388.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/01/22/business-walmart-canada.html

retailisking

A Walmart coming to Vermont's Northeast Kingdom has drawn a mixed response
http://vtdigger.org/2013/01/22/margolis/

vwnut13

Quote from: retailisking on January 23, 2013, 03:50:21 AM

That is the stuff that really makes me hate my fellow Vermonters.

"It’s a familiar rallying cry, one used for years by locals campaigning to get a big box chain store to move in. It paints a bleak scene. Picture the thousands in Orleans, Essex, and perhaps Caledonia counties forced to spend hours and burn gallons to cross the Connecticut River."

Hate to break it to the writer, but this already happens.  Go to Walmart in either Littleton NH or Woodsville NH and half the cars in the parking lot are going to be from Vermont.

Instead, he writes, they should go to Pick & Shovel, because they sell clothes too.  Sorry, but just because a Hardware store sells pants and socks doesn't mean it's a viable clothing store.  If the only two places to buy clothes are Pick & Shovel and Tractor Supply Co, you know something is wrong.  The writer claims Walmart will make people poorer.  So your only option for clothes is to buy $45 jeans and an $8 pair of socks locally, or drive 100 miles round trip to JC Penny or 130 miles to a Walmart.

Is a low income family of five going to drop $400 on clothes or spend $25 in gas to go to Walmart and buy clothes there?  People will, and do, drive the 130 miles to walmart.

"Also along that road, and in danger of extinction, are three drug stores, a stationery supply store, a carpet store, a farm implement dealers, two auto parts stores, two sporting goods stores, a small supermarket and an Agway.

Even closer are two supermarkets, a Shaw’s and a Price Chopper, either or both of which could be put out of business by a new Walmart."

Three Drug Stores - Two Rite Aids and a Kinney Drug
Stationary Supply Store - ???
Carpet Store - ???
Farm Implement Dealer - Tractor Supply Co (or the tractor dealership???)
Two Auto Parts Stores - (three actually) Advanced Auto, Bond Auto Parts, and Sanel Auto Parts
Two Sporting Goods Stores - Olympia Sports and ???
Small Supermarket - Vista Foods

First of all, Advanced Auto Parts is sandwiched right between Bond and Sanel. All three stores are right in a row. Advanced Auto didn't put either of them out of business.  Walmart certainly doesn't sell enough auto parts to put any of them out.

Tractor Supply Co, really.  They think Walmart would put Tractor Supply in danger of going out of business?

And Walmart putting chain Drug Stores out of business?  How many Walmarts have Drug Stores next to them?  How many chain drug stores has walmart forced out of business?

The Small Supermarket - Vista Foods seems to be doing quite well despite there being both a Shaws and a Price Chopper just up the street. 

Shaws and Price Chopper - Oh please.  See my comments above about drug stores.

And about the Carpet store, since when does walmart sell carpet?

Lastly, many people know that Canadians often come to the USA to shop for the cheaper prices and lower taxes.  Has anyone thought that maybe building a Walmart 4 miles past the Canadian border could potentially attract Canadian shoppers?  Canadian Shoppers already come to the USA, they just bypass Derby and head south to areas with actual stores. Might Walmart get Canadians to stop in Derby?  Perhaps while they are in Derby they will venture down into town and shop at some of the locally owned stores.

Whats better, being unemployed and paying exorbitant prices, or having a minimum wage job and access to cheap goods?

I love this quote from the NYT about Dollar General wanting to go to Chester VT.

“Most of the people in Chester now are people who have come from someplace else,” Mr. Cunningham said. “It’s like a lot of Vermont. Why come to a place like this only to have it turn into the kind of place you were trying to leave?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/14/us/dollar-store-plans-divide-vermont-residents.html?_r=0

That's the flatlander attitude we all love to hate. The 'we came here from out of state, we know what's better for the state than you do' attitude.

ynkeesfn82

The Hartford, CT store is being expanded into a Supercenter.

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/walmart-to-expand-hartford-store-into-supercenter/

Of course there's some mis-information in the article. Bristol's Walmart is not becoming a Supercenter. They're getting a Neighborhood Market.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 14, 2013, 06:50:51 AM
The Hartford, CT store is being expanded into a Supercenter.

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/walmart-to-expand-hartford-store-into-supercenter/

Of course there's some mis-information in the article. Bristol's Walmart is not becoming a Supercenter. They're getting a Neighborhood Market.

The Hartford store is a mess to begin with. How are they going to support a supercenter with such unsanitary conditions. Are they also trying to put every store out of business? Newington is getting a supercenter too. That better not prevent a good grocery store from coming in to the old Foodmart when that day comes. Go away Walmart!!!!

ynkeesfn82

There is a need in Hartford for a Supercenter. There is a serious lack of supermarkets in Hartford. They have Stop & Shop. They 2 locations of the discount chain Save-a-Lot (I think). And the have several locations of Hispanic Chains Bravo Supermarket and C-Town. That's all aside from the small little bodegas.

JimSawhill

Quote from: vwnut13 on January 24, 2013, 08:56:03 PM
Quote from: retailisking on January 23, 2013, 03:50:21 AM

That is the stuff that really makes me hate my fellow Vermonters.

"It’s a familiar rallying cry, one used for years by locals campaigning to get a big box chain store to move in. It paints a bleak scene. Picture the thousands in Orleans, Essex, and perhaps Caledonia counties forced to spend hours and burn gallons to cross the Connecticut River."

Hate to break it to the writer, but this already happens.  Go to Walmart in either Littleton NH or Woodsville NH and half the cars in the parking lot are going to be from Vermont.

Instead, he writes, they should go to Pick & Shovel, because they sell clothes too.  Sorry, but just because a Hardware store sells pants and socks doesn't mean it's a viable clothing store.  If the only two places to buy clothes are Pick & Shovel and Tractor Supply Co, you know something is wrong.  The writer claims Walmart will make people poorer.  So your only option for clothes is to buy $45 jeans and an $8 pair of socks locally, or drive 100 miles round trip to JC Penny or 130 miles to a Walmart.

Is a low income family of five going to drop $400 on clothes or spend $25 in gas to go to Walmart and buy clothes there?  People will, and do, drive the 130 miles to walmart.

"Also along that road, and in danger of extinction, are three drug stores, a stationery supply store, a carpet store, a farm implement dealers, two auto parts stores, two sporting goods stores, a small supermarket and an Agway.

Even closer are two supermarkets, a Shaw’s and a Price Chopper, either or both of which could be put out of business by a new Walmart."

Three Drug Stores - Two Rite Aids and a Kinney Drug
Stationary Supply Store - ???
Carpet Store - ???
Farm Implement Dealer - Tractor Supply Co (or the tractor dealership???)
Two Auto Parts Stores - (three actually) Advanced Auto, Bond Auto Parts, and Sanel Auto Parts
Two Sporting Goods Stores - Olympia Sports and ???
Small Supermarket - Vista Foods

First of all, Advanced Auto Parts is sandwiched right between Bond and Sanel. All three stores are right in a row. Advanced Auto didn't put either of them out of business.  Walmart certainly doesn't sell enough auto parts to put any of them out.

Tractor Supply Co, really.  They think Walmart would put Tractor Supply in danger of going out of business?

And Walmart putting chain Drug Stores out of business?  How many Walmarts have Drug Stores next to them?  How many chain drug stores has walmart forced out of business?

The Small Supermarket - Vista Foods seems to be doing quite well despite there being both a Shaws and a Price Chopper just up the street. 

Shaws and Price Chopper - Oh please.  See my comments above about drug stores.

And about the Carpet store, since when does walmart sell carpet?

Lastly, many people know that Canadians often come to the USA to shop for the cheaper prices and lower taxes.  Has anyone thought that maybe building a Walmart 4 miles past the Canadian border could potentially attract Canadian shoppers?  Canadian Shoppers already come to the USA, they just bypass Derby and head south to areas with actual stores. Might Walmart get Canadians to stop in Derby?  Perhaps while they are in Derby they will venture down into town and shop at some of the locally owned stores.

Whats better, being unemployed and paying exorbitant prices, or having a minimum wage job and access to cheap goods?

I love this quote from the NYT about Dollar General wanting to go to Chester VT.

“Most of the people in Chester now are people who have come from someplace else,” Mr. Cunningham said. “It’s like a lot of Vermont. Why come to a place like this only to have it turn into the kind of place you were trying to leave?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/14/us/dollar-store-plans-divide-vermont-residents.html?_r=0

That's the flatlander attitude we all love to hate. The 'we came here from out of state, we know what's better for the state than you do' attitude.

This journalist is a typical LIBERAL Wal-Mart hater.  It will make people poorer??? How, Mr. Margolis?

Sorry to bring politics into here...but that journalist is Wal-Mart bashing...bet he never to one...

ynkeesfn82

Confirmed: Walmart has started construction on a Supercenter in Waterbury, Connecticut near the Kohl's on East Main Street. Rumor unconfirmed: Their existing store on Wolcott Street will become a Sam's Club.

TRU7536

Newington CT Walmart is 132,263 SF. When bassett furniture leaves, they will plan on knocking that part down and expanding Walmart to add another 20,000 SF to add their grocery part of it sometime this year.

jason83080

An update on our Walmart's conversion: The second entrance is officially open for business. The "new food side entrance" is still there, but leads right into a now-outset "Clearance Wall" that extends out from the temporarily-closed Regal Nails to hide work on the food side. Customer Service is moving to behind the Pharmacy (in an inset room right next to the second entrance), with the new Vision Center right across the way. Subway should be coming back at some point - it's been closed for months now, and its old home has been demolished in the work for the food side - along with the addition of the standard Super Walmart fare of a bank, hair salon, and whatever else is up front. Everything's in random places right now, but I think that things are starting to come together. I highly doubt that the Garden Center will remain the home of "Paper and Cleaning" and whatever else is over there right now. Toys & Games has moved to that side, and is in the process of being set. Sporting Goods has a nice new counter, as does the new Paint Center.

The big reopening is slated for the end of July. Once they get the new side wall finished, it shouldn't take too long to get everything situated. The only obstacle remaining on that side is Customer Service, which will likely be moved to its new home within the next month. They'll demolish that whole side and open it up, then they'll set up the new aisles/coolers, and it'll be open before we know it!

JimSawhill

Quote from: jason83080 on March 20, 2013, 06:33:51 PM
An update on our Walmart's conversion: The second entrance is officially open for business. The "new food side entrance" is still there, but leads right into a now-outset "Clearance Wall" that extends out from the temporarily-closed Regal Nails to hide work on the food side. Customer Service is moving to behind the Pharmacy (in an inset room right next to the second entrance), with the new Vision Center right across the way. Subway should be coming back at some point - it's been closed for months now, and its old home has been demolished in the work for the food side - along with the addition of the standard Super Walmart fare of a bank, hair salon, and whatever else is up front. Everything's in random places right now, but I think that things are starting to come together. I highly doubt that the Garden Center will remain the home of "Paper and Cleaning" and whatever else is over there right now. Toys & Games has moved to that side, and is in the process of being set. Sporting Goods has a nice new counter, as does the new Paint Center.

The big reopening is slated for the end of July. Once they get the new side wall finished, it shouldn't take too long to get everything situated. The only obstacle remaining on that side is Customer Service, which will likely be moved to its new home within the next month. They'll demolish that whole side and open it up, then they'll set up the new aisles/coolers, and it'll be open before we know it!

That how they did it when the made an old Wal-Mart into a supercenter here in Tampa.

jason83080

I figured that was the standard "Walmart layout," since most other supercenter stores are laid out in that same format. (I visited the location in Steelyard Commons outside of Cleveland last week. They have a Subway/Auntie Anne's hybrid cafe!)

As far as the "second entrance" is concerned, it's now the "main entrance," and the old entrance is now fenced off from the outside. On the inside, the entire front and left side of the store (where the old Customer Service, nail salon, Subway, and the Vision Center were) is boarded up for further renovation. They'll probably redo the 'old entrance' in order to be able to house carts down there. The registers are still in the same place right now. They'll likely be replaced when the remodel gets closer to completion, because it looks strange with the old "express registers" butting right up against the construction wall.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: JimSawhill on February 16, 2013, 01:23:45 PM
This journalist is a typical LIBERAL Wal-Mart hater.  It will make people poorer??? How, Mr. Margolis?
What this journalist states is very true. Wal*Mart's #1 goal is no competition and they will kill every job just to get no competition. I read on www.yahoo.com on their news page one day that Wal*Mart's #1 goal is absolutely no competition. What I read about Wal*Mart in this news article is that they pretty much target what competitors it is that they want to permanently shut down. The way that they target their competitors to permanently shut them down is that they take a certain percentage of every sale that they make from the consumer and they put this percentage of money that they make from every sale from the consumer and use it to target their competitors so that they can permanently shut them down. Once Wal*Mart gets rid of one competitor they target another and will continue to do this process over and over repeatedly until there are no competitors left which is why you will see that Wal*Mart is moving these Neighborhood Markets of theirs into small towns so that they can begin to target the small businesses in small cities and shut them down permanently like they currently do with their Supercenters against corporation chains in big cities. Like I stated up above, the Wal*Mart consumer is where Wal*Mart gets the money from which pretty much means that it is the Wal*Mart consumer that is giving their money to Wal*Mart so that Wal*Mart can use a percentage of it that they make from every sale to target competitors, permanently shut them down, which in the end is killing just as many jobs that we have here in the U.S.A combined with this recession that we are currently in.

Having said that, the decision is up to the consumer. You can support your local and family owned business as well as other corporation chains or you can go to Wal*Mart where they will use a percentage of every sale that they make from you to target competitors, permanently shut them down, which in the end will result in a decrease of even more jobs being lost. What is more important to the consumer, varies by each and every person. I understand that saving money is important especially in this day and age. But at the same time each person needs to think about what is more important to them. Shopping at Wal*Mart to save money where in the end they will use a certain percentage of the money that they make off of you from every sale to target competitors, permanently shut them down, which in the end will just decrease jobs that we have here in our country or shopping elsewhere which will give Wal*Mart less money, preventing them from targeting competitors while at the same time will save jobs allowing the jobs that are saved to be here for future generations.

Zayre88

I noticed that while visiting a Walmart store in Hudson NH and in Epping NH...

Stores were in a bad shape, empty shelves and hooks all around the store.  The small Walmart store in Hudson was a real mess, small, dirty, noisy, crowded, not a good shopping experience....

-------------------------
Read this article:

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/03/26/empty-shelves-plague-wal-mart-stores-in-u-s-as-employees-customers-disappear

Empty shelves plague Wal-Mart stores in U.S. as employees, customers disappear
Renee Dudley, Bloomberg News | 13/03/26 | Last Updated: 13/03/26 1:23 PM ET

vwnut13

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on March 26, 2013, 02:33:10 PM
What this journalist states is very true. Wal*Mart's #1 goal is no competition and they will kill every job just to get no competition. I read on www.yahoo.com on their news page one day that Wal*Mart's #1 goal is absolutely no competition. What I read about Wal*Mart in this news article is that they pretty much target what competitors it is that they want to permanently shut down. The way that they target their competitors to permanently shut them down is that they take a certain percentage of every sale that they make from the consumer and they put this percentage of money that they make from every sale from the consumer and use it to target their competitors so that they can permanently shut them down. Once Wal*Mart gets rid of one competitor they target another and will continue to do this process over and over repeatedly until there are no competitors left which is why you will see that Wal*Mart is moving these Neighborhood Markets of theirs into small towns so that they can begin to target the small businesses in small cities and shut them down permanently like they currently do with their Supercenters against corporation chains in big cities. Like I stated up above, the Wal*Mart consumer is where Wal*Mart gets the money from which pretty much means that it is the Wal*Mart consumer that is giving their money to Wal*Mart so that Wal*Mart can use a percentage of it that they make from every sale to target competitors, permanently shut them down, which in the end is killing just as many jobs that we have here in the U.S.A combined with this recession that we are currently in.

Having said that, the decision is up to the consumer. You can support your local and family owned business as well as other corporation chains or you can go to Wal*Mart where they will use a percentage of every sale that they make from you to target competitors, permanently shut them down, which in the end will result in a decrease of even more jobs being lost. What is more important to the consumer, varies by each and every person. I understand that saving money is important especially in this day and age. But at the same time each person needs to think about what is more important to them. Shopping at Wal*Mart to save money where in the end they will use a certain percentage of the money that they make off of you from every sale to target competitors, permanently shut them down, which in the end will just decrease jobs that we have here in our country or shopping elsewhere which will give Wal*Mart less money, preventing them from targeting competitors while at the same time will save jobs allowing the jobs that are saved to be here for future generations.

What do you know, Family Dollar has built a store just a mile away from where this walmart is proposed, and not even three miles away from the nearest Family Dollar.

Must be Family Dollar is trying to get a little piece of this market before Walamrt shuts them down in a year or two.  Right?

ynkeesfn82

If Walmart on Wolcott Street in Waterbury does not become a Sam's Club, I think that would be a good spot for a Lowe's. Lowe's at one time wanted to  build a store in Waterbury. Near Exit 24 I think but couldn't get the approval.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on March 26, 2013, 02:33:10 PM

Sorry, but you will never have WAL-MART get 100% of the market. You might think that, but if a mom & Pop store can make it, it needs to provide better services than the BIG GUYS.

Kmart4life

Kmart4life

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

A slow death from Walmart may mean a retail renaissance for small businesses and smaller chains like Meijer, Target, Shopko, and numerous supermarket chains like IGA and SuperValu.

Zayre88

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 12, 2013, 07:28:45 PM
A slow death from Walmart may mean a retail renaissance for small businesses and smaller chains like Meijer, Target, Shopko, and numerous supermarket chains like IGA and SuperValu.

These articles do mention that customers are switching to Target when they can't find what they need at Walmart, even if it's slightly more expensive.

Walmart is in trouble.  The Walmart of today with these stories is no longer the efficient company of Sam Walton.

True story: In December, I was shopping for a Coffeemaker for a Christmas gift.  The model I wanted was available at Zellers on sale but the regular price at Walmart was lower.  So I went to Walmart.  At the store, the whole shelf was empty.  I was able to find an assistant manager and requested the coffeemaker. She was  hesitant and almost sighed but she finally asked someone else to look it up in the hand-held device.  They had some in the back but she kinda felt reluctant to have to go there...  That was odd.

So finally she did go in the backstore.  I waited 10 minutes, she got back with a box and dropped it on the floor right in front of me!  She then opened it with her keys and handed me one of the coffeemakers in the box...

I see a few problems:
1) Empty shelves
2) Lack of willingness to help (even to get 1 more sale and to satisfy a customer)
3) No smile
3) No care in handling merchandise

Kmart4life

I noticed the same things, which is one of the many reasons I quit shopping there.

Kmart4life

In Star Trek terms Walmart has engaged the Auto Destruct Sequence and we all have a front row seat to watch it implode!