Main Menu

Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

All right people. Enough is enough. Can we go back to having a civilized discussion or am I going to have to ban you both?

FitchMike26

I think there's room here for everyone's opinions. I expressly said he was entitled to his, and I was entitled to mine. That does not require me to agree with his opinions, or vice versa.

EddieJ1984

I took pictures of the newest Acme to Northeast Philadelphia, which was a Pathmark Sav-A-Center before hand (and originally a Super Fresh once upon a time when it opened in the mid - late 90s) on Cottman Avenue on the morning they opened. Acme Style posted them here :D
http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/acme-cottman-avenue-philadelphia.html

Chuck E. Cheese

*bump*

Acme took over the old A&P in Riverside, Greenwich, CT. I've never heard anything about this chain until recently (The Wile E. Coyote Cartoons dont count! :P ). Guess they never really Franchised into CT..

ynkeesfn82

As a Stop & Shop employee I shouldn't be saying this and the Union can probably have  me fired, but I would like to see ACME come into The Hartford area.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on March 01, 2016, 11:37:39 AM
I would like to see ACME come into The Hartford area.
Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on February 29, 2016, 07:33:49 PM
Acme took over the old A&P in Riverside, Greenwich, CT. I've never heard anything about this chain until recently (The Wile E. Coyote Cartoons dont count! :P ). Guess they never really Franchised into CT..

You have to note that Acme is owned by the same parent company (formerly Albertsons, now they have merged with Safeway) that also owns the Shaw's and Star Markets stores in many areas of New England.

They of course closed all the Shaw's locations in CT a few years back (under a prior management) but that is probably why the Acme name was never in the state previously.

Since they were purchasing the former A&P stores which were mostly in NY and NJ (and their other brands like Waldbaum's in Long Island and Superfresh down in DE, PA and southern NJ) they did so using the Acme name as the majority of the locations were areas where Acme does (or did) operate.

Connecticut was the obvious exception (they even had Acme locations in NY at one time, though it was probably 50 years ago or so by now).
However they probably figured it was not sensible to use the Shaw's name for just those 4 locations, both since they had closed the stores previously and that they would be quite separated from the rest of the Shaw's locations (while being closer to the Acme locations in NY/NJ and easier to supply that way).

Given that the remainder of CT has none of their stores (and possibly some former locations of either Shaw's and/or A&P still vacant?) it wouldn't be at all surprising if these four do reasonably well that they might consider expanding further into the state to "fill in the blank" in the corporate structure between the existing Shaw's locations in the other 5 NE states and the rest of the Acmes in NY/NJ and southward.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on March 01, 2016, 11:37:39 AM
As a Stop & Shop employee I shouldn't be saying this and the Union can probably have  me fired, but I would like to see ACME come into The Hartford area.

Just heard on the radio that the UFCW has authorized a strike at Stop & Shop.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 01, 2016, 02:37:39 PM

One union in Massachusetts voted to strike, but the strike hasn't begun yet. The other unions in Mass, Rhode Island, and Connecticut continue to be in negotiations.

Chuck E. Cheese

With Supermarkets, you can usually tell who owns it if another website is exactly the same.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on March 01, 2016, 04:46:08 PM

One union in Massachusetts voted to strike, but the strike hasn't begun yet. The other unions in Mass, Rhode Island, and Connecticut continue to be in negotiations.

What are the issues the unions want? Higher pay?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 08, 2016, 08:15:59 AM

Yes in part. And S&S wants to eliminate premium pay for Sundays and holidays. I'm sure I can be fired for saying this, but the pay scale at S&S is so mucked up. My job is bagging groceries and rounding up the shopping carts in the parking lot. I get paid $9.60/HR which is Connecticut minimum wage. One of my direct supervisors who has been with S&S for 4 years is only getting paid $9.65/HR!!!!!! His responsibilities include over-seeing the entire Front End - Cashiers, Baggers, Cart People. He also works behind the Customer Service Desk and in the gas station.

TheFugitive

As someone who was briefly a UFCW member WAY back in the day, I sympathize.
Perhaps the most worthless labor union on the planet.  I only made about a dime an hour
more than other non-union stores in the area paid, and they sucked forty bucks a pay out
of me in dues.

My spouse also worked in a union grocery store.  Their contract was written WAY back when
Pennsylvania still had blue laws.  So it did not cover Sundays.  They just kept working on modifications
of the original fifty-year old contract, so that what she was working under treated Sundays as if they
did not even exist!

That way they could work you close to 40 hours, but still designate you as "part time", because Sunday hours were not counted towards the total under the contract.  Out of 55 store employees exactly TWO qualified as full-time and had benefits.

And yet all paid union dues.  It's a scam.

JimSawhill

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on March 08, 2016, 08:57:29 AM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 08, 2016, 08:15:59 AM

Yes in part. And S&S wants to eliminate premium pay for Sundays and holidays. I'm sure I can be fired for saying this, but the pay scale at S&S is so mucked up. My job is bagging groceries and rounding up the shopping carts in the parking lot. I get paid $9.60/HR which is Connecticut minimum wage. One of my direct supervisors who has been with S&S for 4 years is only getting paid $9.65/HR!!!!!! His responsibilities include over-seeing the entire Front End - Cashiers, Baggers, Cart People. He also works behind the Customer Service Desk and in the gas station.

Typical, when I was employed at Caldor, I knew my manager was only getting a few cents more than me an hour. Of course, the union dues cut into my pay. I'm keeping my employees happy and they know I'm available if they need something...

BTW, why did you change your name? Employer asked you to?

mixedday

Would Acme be in a position to assume the former Pathmark building in Cherry Hill, 989 Church Road, Cherry Hill, NJ, 08002?

That site along with half of the shopping center would need rehabilitation, so it isn't move-in ready, but it shouldn't be a huge endeavor.

There aren't any near enough Acme stores, including any in Cherry Hill limits. Some might figure that the Wegmans, which is 2.1 miles away, is too close. However, Haddonfield Rd. gets tremendous amount of vehicle traffic and Wegmans itself has somewhat very large crowds. The two aren't are on the same roads itself. Perhaps Acme could cater to those that want the nearby and easy to manage grocery store convenience? (Almost like Giant in Cockeysville, MD that works, on a different highway but just 0.6 miles from the Hunt Valley Wegmans)

It's interesting that Pathmark lasted until 2013 in that site, when Wegmans opened in 2006. So, the two co-existed for a significant period, and Wegmans didn't pressure Pathmark really out. But, now some might figure now that Wegmans is too close for the Pathmark site to work for another traditional grocery store tenant.

The site is across the JCPenney wing of the successful mall as well. If not Acme, it would seem it would make sense for a subdivide for an upscale gourmet store like Rastelli's Market Fresh (which operates in Marlton). There are also some high end apartments, Burrough's Mills and Cherry Hill Towers that are nearby. The immediate competition is Aldi, Wegmans (2.1 miles away) and a ShopRite that is farther down.

MikeRa

Here is a list of Acme locations in Pennsylvania that now sells beer:

• Doylestown â€" Doylestown Acme Sav-on (Albertsons Store #7784): 480 North Main Street (Former Sears, Roebuck & Company store.  Quality Build interior décor.  Frosted Mug Beer section)
  • Flourtown â€" Flourtown Acme (Albertsons Store #7723): 1640 Bethlehem Pike (Premium Fresh & Healthy 2.0 interior décor.  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
  • Gladwyne â€" Gladwyne Acme (Albertsons Store #2845): 1110 Youngsford Road (Opened 11/20/2015.  Former A&P Supermarket, Super Fresh Food Market, and superfresh {Colonial Design} [Store 294].  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
  • Glen Mills â€" Concordville Acme (Albertsons Store #7735): 101 Byers Drive (Opened 4/25/2008) (Premium Fresh & Health interior décor.  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
  • Media â€" Media Acme Sav-on (Albertsons Store #7809): 527 E. Baltimore Pike (Broadway/Industrial Circus interior décor.  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
  • Philadelphia â€" 19th & Oregon Acme Sav-on (Albertsons Store #7715): 1901 Johnston Street (2000’s Albertsons Building.  Santa Fe/Albertsons Marketplace Interior Décor.  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
  • Philadelphia â€" Red Lion Acme Sav-on (Albertsons Store #7747): 920 Red Lion Road (Opened Late 1990’s. 1990’s American Stores Combination Store.  Premium Fresh & Healthy interior Décor.  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
  • Wayne â€" Devon Acme Sav-on (Albertsons Store #7753): 700 West Lancaster Avenue (Former Pantry Pride Supermarket.  Santa Fe/Albertsons interior décor.  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
  • West Chester â€" West Goshen Acme Sav-on (Albertsons Store #7782): 907 Paoli Pike (1950’s American Store building.  Opened 8/20/1958.  Premium Fresh & Healthy 3.0 intrerior décor.  Frosted Mug Beer Café)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

giantsfan2016

The 4 ACME in Connecticut are celebrating their 1st Anniversary.

Meanwhile they're poking fun at Shoprite because they make you spend $400 to get a free turkey while ACME only makes you spend $100.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on November 06, 2016, 12:00:09 PM
The 4 ACME in Connecticut are celebrating their 1st Anniversary.

Meanwhile they're poking fun at Shoprite because they make you spend $400 to get a free turkey while ACME only makes you spend $100.

Probably without noting that:

- Shoprite is $400 over several weeks (6, including the Sun-Wed before Thanksgiving), while Acme is a single $100 purchase (so one could spend $66.67 per week @ Shoprite and still get it).
- Acme's deal is after using coupons, while ShopRite credits the face value of the coupon towards the total (So, for instance a pack of Schick Disposables @ $5.99 w/$3 coupon gives you $5.99 vs. $2.99 credit).

Basically two different types of programs, which may work better for different types of shoppers.

MikeRa

Acme now has a gas rewards program (so does the other Albertsons banners).  Points can be redeemed at participating Sunoco stations.   The Acme locations in PA, NJ, and DE has plenty of Sunoco stations nearby.  Shaw's apparently does not.

mixedday

The Acme in Burlington Twp, NJ is closing:
http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2017/01/30/acme-closing-burlington-twp/97257430/

It's no surprise as competition became intense: a new ShopRite was built at a former Kmart location, Wal-Mart expanded into a SuperCenter in the same shopping center, and Lidl is expected to open in this area.

retailisking

Looks like some former A&P stores are continuing to struggle under Acme
http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2017/02/13/acme-cut-positions-new-jersey/

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on February 14, 2017, 07:21:18 AM
Looks like some former A&P stores are continuing to struggle under Acme
http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2017/02/13/acme-cut-positions-new-jersey/

Not sure if all of them were A&P employees, but if so that may be some of the issue.  Seems that part of A&P's problem towards the later years was that, since they kept closing stores the ones still open got "overloaded" with older, more costly workers.  Thus, even if the stores do reasonably, they could be less profitable due to payroll costs.

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on February 14, 2017, 05:34:10 PM
Not sure if all of them were A&P employees, but if so that may be some of the issue.  Seems that part of A&P's problem towards the later years was that, since they kept closing stores the ones still open got "overloaded" with older, more costly workers.  Thus, even if the stores do reasonably, they could be less profitable due to payroll costs.

My understanding is that Acme assumed the staff of the old A&P stores they took over.

retailisking

In a commentary accompanying this photo of the store, it's claimed that vanilla merchandising doomed this store

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115637162@N02/34056024563/in/photostream/

shore72

It seems the iconic, classic Acme store in St. Michaels, MD is in its final month:

http://www.stardem.com/news/local_news/article_b1e270d0-f9c0-5ae2-b085-f1ff2fec297c.html

MikeRa

Back on September 11, Acme Style reported that Acme opened a new store in Philadelphia, PA.  This new store is located at Front Street and Snyder Avenue.  The interior of this store is the "Quality Build" interior decor.  Full details can be located here: http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2017/09/first-look-at-interior-of-front-and.html

Thanks to Acme Style for the story.

mixedday

Quote from: mixedday on April 18, 2016, 09:06:51 AM
Would Acme be in a position to assume the former Pathmark building in Cherry Hill, 989 Church Road, Cherry Hill, NJ, 08002?

That site along with half of the shopping center would need rehabilitation, so it isn't move-in ready, but it shouldn't be a huge endeavor.

Just an update on this shopping center. It's getting the long needed re-hab. Big Lots moved into a new space, and At Home is replacing the old Pathmark. The parking lot was re-paved and the entire side that looked drab got completely renovated.

On another note, the Kmart of Moorestown, NJ is closing. There is an Acme which is on Kings Highway in Maple Shade just walking distance from the Kmart which is closing.
http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/search/label/NJ%3A%20Mapleshade

The Kmart faces a major road, Route 38, and is arguably a better site. The Acme anchors a traditional center, which would be a grocery anchored shopping center, but faces Kings Highway but a narrow stretch where it's one-lane each side. Kmart faces 38 and has Marshall's/Home Goods/Dollar Tree in the same center.

I wonder if Acme would consider shifting to the Kmart location as it appears that Acme is opening new stores elsewhere. Acme was hammered hard and closed numerous sites in the southwest side of NJ, over the years, so I wonder if it will make strategic moves or just fall apart like Genuardi's, Pathmark, etc. atleast in the western South Jersey. By the Jersey Shore, it's pretty much Wegmans free, limited Aldi even, and ShopRite's are a bit lackluster that Acme can exist well.

EddieJ1984

So I recently moved to Morrisville, PA.
And oh my look at this nice building (I know its been covered on acme style and flickr a few years ago).
https://i.imgur.com/IpBGri1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YkzP6xH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NwqXC1b.jpg

Love that it still has an abstract acme sign on the inside.

I posted links because I'm too tried to resize them, this board needs that feature that resizes pics down.

MikeRa

I took some pics recently of the Acme/Acme Pharmacy store on Cottman Avenue, in Philadelphia.  this store has the "Quality Build" decor and the "Frosted Mug" Beer & Wine section.

pic of the outside of the store with the "BEER & WINE" and "PHARMACY" signs

View of the entrance to the store and the Frosted Mug section, which is next to the Acme Corner Deli.  Sorry about the blurred image.

EddieJ1984

So visiting Philly over the weekend I was at the Harbison Ave Acme in Northeast Philly and see self checkout's have returned, they removed them a year or 2 ago, which imo was a really dumb move, I can only imagine the amount of complaints they got in that time.

MikeRa

Acme on Bristol Road in Bensalem is getting the Quality Build decor and Frosted Mug & Wine.  They also dropped the Sav-on name on the building.  Now just Acme Pharmacy.