Main Menu

Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey7290

Here's a pic I took a couple of years ago of what's located in the old Acme store in Canton's University Plaza on Route 11.  After Acme closed in 1979, it was a Chicago Market for a few years, next a Super Duper until the early 1990's, then the Rex Hardware store shown here moved in.

Anonymous

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
I have no idea where that specific store was located, but that was the standard  Acme prototype was throughout the 60's and maybe early 70's. and Acme did stretch into New York at one time. The newer car in the picture seems to date the picture to the year 2000+

Anonymous

The Acme in the picture opened in 1963 and closed in 2005. It is at 63 North Union Ave in Lansdowne PA, now Save-a-Lot.

webcookie

There was an Acme in Middletown, NY on East Main Street. The building now houses a Family Dollar and an auto parts store.
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

MikeRa

Acme also had different product packaging throughout the years.  Going from "Ideal", "Farmdale", and "Lancaster Brand" to toady's with "Acme" "Lancaster Brand", "Equaline (Sav-on/Osco by Albertson's", "Shoppers Value".
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TheRetroNickFan

As a young kid, my mom worked at a now-vacant Acme Supermarket. I always used to get free sodas from there. Everybody was friendly, it had a nice atmosphere, and a really good deli (which is the department my mom worked in). The store closed around 2002 or 2003 and is still vacant. I miss that place, I may try to get a photo of the building.

(Putting a new post in an old thread that hasn't been posted in for over a month isn't a crime here like it is on other forums I go to, is it?)

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by TheRetroNickFan
(Putting a new post in an old thread that hasn't been posted in for over a month isn't a crime here like it is on other forums I go to, is it?)

Not at all. Welcome to the site.

TheRetroNickFan

videogamer75

Acme in egg harbor city, new jersey (the one with the 1950s road sign), via live maps.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Acme in egg harbor city, new jersey (the one with the 1950s road sign), via live maps. it is still vacant, and is quite a small store actually, just a little bigger than a super wawa

..........THATS 50 miles about from me...... :duh:
JN

videogamer75

I got a picture of the small 1980's style Acme in Clayton, NJ. I will upload it later.

Acme is the best if you ask me, they put shop rite and pathmark to shame.

videogamer75

Acme has a great deli and good selection. :)

Marc82

Forgot to mention it last year when I was there so I'll mention it now one year later. I wanted to go to the ACME in King of Prussia on 202 last year when I was visiting there, but traffic was so heavy, no one would let me change lanes to turn into the plaza.

videogamer75

I want to get a picture of the ACME in Wildwood, NJ when I go in August. It looks different than all the other ACME's, using the same "special 50's beach town" look the Wawa has (which I also hope to get pictures of.)

videogamer75

Here is the 1960's style Acme in Clayton, NJ!

videogamer75

This is another picture of the Acme in Lambertville, NJ from Flickr. Like storehistoryguy said, it opened in 1951, had four aisles, automatic doors that opened by air, and closed in 1999. It's a real shame it closed. Even though it managed to live a pretty long life for a store its size, It was so cool and historical looking! This picture was taken in 1991. Notice the yellow 70's Acme carts!

Mobil

I know two Acmes like the one in Lambertville that are still open. One had a Starbucks added to it, must have been added when Albertsons took over, but that disappeared mysteriously in early 2007. Very close to it is what looks like an even older Acme! :holysh: That store is now a Staples. The other one appears to have been updated during the '60s, at the same time they were building the peaked stores and Super Savers. I know a peaked Acme that survives as well, always has been in a large plaza. :bouncing:

videogamer75

Thanks for the info, I knew that the Clayton style building was actually 60's, I'll fix that now.

videogamer75

This is the newer ACME in Sicklerville, NJ near a new target, lowe's, circuit city, petsmart, and michaels.

MikeRa

The Acme on Roosevelt Blvd. & Solly Ave. in Philadelphia, PA looks just like the Acme in Sicklerville, NJ.  It replaced a older Food Fair/Pantry Pride/Acme store at the same location.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Marc82

Do ACME's typically have good bakerys? I'm going to King of Prussia, PA next month and a friend I'm visiting is having a birthday during my trip and I'd like to get him a cake.

Mobil

A new Acme (originally new) just opened in Glen Mills, PA. The plaza is brand new, but was not worth the undeveloped land paved. Many of the stores already have stores in the area. Target, Home Depot, Acme, Marshalls, PetSmart, Staples, Five Below, and Bertucci's are all here and have other stores close by. :huh::no::flaming:

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Do ACME's typically have good bakerys? I'm going to King of Prussia, PA next month and a friend I'm visiting is having a birthday during my trip and I'd like to get him a cake.

Acme has a decent bakery...(however I would personally go with Wegmans if there's one along your route...expensive, but the cake blow all the others away)

Mobil

I just made a list of all the stores Acme has closed... and there probably are more... considering Acme used to have stores from New York to Georgia! And the Acme headquarters in Philadelphia closed in 1993 and is still empty. Even with the signs still up. :holysh:

videogamer75

this is the former Acme in Williamstown, NJ. notice the cemented over entrance doors! sorry about the picture being dark, it was like 11 at night. The neat '70s road sign for this plaza still stands, and if you look really closely you can still see the old 80's Acme logo on the first panel. but it was so dark out and hard to see it so I didnt take a picture. i'll try for a daytime shot later.

mikey7290

this is the former Acme in Williamstown, NJ. notice the cemented over entrance doors! sorry about the picture being dark, it was like 11 at night. The neat '70s road sign for this plaza still stands, and if you look really closely you can still see the old 80's Acme logo on the first panel. but it was so dark out and hard to see it so I didnt take a picture. i'll try for a daytime shot later.

This store reminds me of our old Acme in Ogdensburg, NY.  Did this store in Williamstown open in the 1970's?  Ours opened in 1972, replacing an older store.  The store closed in 1979 and became a Chicago Market, then Super Duper, and finally Jubilee Foods/IGA, which closed in 1995.  Here is what the store looked like just before Acme closed in 1979, and how it looks today.  The red siding and peaked roof were put on just before it became Jubilee Foods in 1992.

videogamer75

Yep, and I believe it also closed sometime in the 1990's/

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
I know two Acmes like the one in Lambertville that are still open. One had a Starbucks added to it, must have been added when Albertsons took over, but that disappeared mysteriously in early 2007. Very close to it is what looks like an even older Acme! :holysh: That store is now a Staples. The other one appears to have been updated during the '60s, at the same time they were building the peaked stores and Super Savers. I know a peaked Acme that survives as well, always has been in a large plaza. :bouncing:

Can you tell me the exact locations of these Acmes? I would like to check them out on Live Maps. :)

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil

Can you tell me the exact locations of these Acmes? I would like to check them out on Live Maps. :)

600 W. Lancaster Ave., Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
755 W. Lancaster Ave., Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
1130 Chester Pike, Sharon Hill, PA 19079
711 Washington Ave., Chestertown, MD 21620

videogamer75

Thanks. It's really cool that Acme can still operate stores in their small 50's buildings. It's too bad none of them are open with the original decor and signage....although the Lambertville Acme had it all the way up until 1999, which really amazes me. The building is now a courthouse, and guess what, they kept the old Acme sign that was on the chimney and installed it inside the courthouse!