Main Menu

Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

Amce was a PA NJ super market with many locations there i think there still areound but they closed so many stores i saw one on my way to NJ
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Acme is everywhere in SouthEastern PA, all throughout NJ, and DE. I even saw a few that will still operating in rural MD (still using the 80's Acme logo in very old buildings). They did used to have more locations, but they closed a lot of them, especially ones in Philadelphia that were in older buildings.

They were bought by Albertsons in 1999/2000. The name of Acme's previous owner was "American Stores", which owned Osco/Jewel, SavOn (a west-coast Rx chain like Walgreens), and Lucky (west coast supermarket chain that were converted to the Albertson's name). Albertson's just recently bought Shaw's.

storehistoryguy

*Sigh* I love old Acmes. Just lov'em. The ones from the 50's and 60's and 70's and 80's. :bounce:

storehistoryguy

Okay, let me tell you a little bit about this Acme. It opened in 1951 in Lambertville New Jersey, just two blocks from the Delaware River in a small neighborhood near a playground and a mountain. It was so historical inside. Great store. Had four isles, never had been remodeled. It was great in there. They had the old automatic doors that I love that open by air. Very sadly Acme closed the store in 1999. Devistating. In 2001, Lombartio's opened there, and independent supermarket, but it closed in 2002. The building just sits abandon now. This picture was taken during the 80's.

amesman

There was an Acme Supermarket in Fulton, New York. It is now a Salvation Army...

Caldor1999

they have cllosed alot of stores over the years there one near my sisters house down in New Jersey
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
they have cllosed alot of stores over the years there one near my sisters house down in New Jersey

The one in Beach Haven Nj. does great business.

storehistoryguy

Heres an "Acme on the Net" sign from 1996.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Old Acme trucks from the 70's with there old fish logo.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/df_food_acme.htm

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Acme, An Albertson's Company.

http://www.berksfoods.com/Links.html

Albertson's is about to be sold so it is sort of a mystery right now what will happen to Acme.

storehistoryguy

I remember these. This is an old Acme cart from the 70's. As a kid I would go do grocery shopping when my parents couldn't go and I would just walk one of these carts home with me, take it in the garage, unload the grocerys and walk it back. You couldn't do that today.:insane:

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/phoenix/2001/2001-04-05/slides/tunnels/07.html

storehistoryguy

This is the Acme in Beach Haven, Nj.. The Acme is in the white circle. My summer beach house is in the blue circle on the left. Its kind of had to see because the house next door is bigger.

store215

Albertson's is sold! Northeast stores go to Supervalu, free standing/shopping center Osco's and Sav-On's will go to CVS. Stores in CA, FL, and other Western states are going to some other investment group.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Albertson's is sold! Northeast stores go to Supervalu, free standing/shopping center Osco's and Sav-On's will go to CVS. Stores in CA, FL, and other Western states are going to some other investment group.

I just saw that on the PBS news two seconds ago. I thought Albertson's was doing fine.

Anonymous

MBZ321, where was the one in the picture you posted that you were unsure if it had closed or not? It looks just like the one in Lansdowne, PA, and if it is that one then it is closed.

d_fife

here is acme supermarket in sewell nj it is 66,000 sf

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/washington.htm

beachgal26

Wow!  I loved going to the store each week when I was a kid and have fond memories of watching the groceries loaded into the  boxes and then run outside on the conveyor belts.  You would pay and get the numbered tickets for the boxes, go get your car and drive up to the store and they would load the boxes in the back of your car.  Talk about service with a smile!

Many thanks to all of you who found and posted the old pictures!

:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

BillyGr

This store is outside of East Brunswick, NJ - off Route 18 via Rues Lane - probably actually in another town, but it hard to tell in that area.

Looks newer, but may be a replacement for another store - the plaza is kind of odd in that you can't even see this store if you come in at the opposite end!

mikey1972

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

^A very old (I believe it is closed now) Acme. This style was typical of the late 1960's to around the early 80's. That logo in the pic would not be orginal to the store, it would have had the logo before that which kind of had a "fish shape" to it.

Could you tell me where this store is (or was) located?  It looks just like the former Acme store near me in Canton, NY.  It was an Acme until 1979.  Later a Chicago Markets then Super Duper, it is now occupied by the Rex Hardware store.

store215

I have no idea where that specific store was located, but that was the standard  Acme prototype was throughout the 60's and maybe early 70's. and Acme did stretch into New York at one time. The newer car in the picture seems to date the picture to the year 2000+

store215

Here's a former Acme in Maryland that closed down a few years ago. There is also a closed Roy Rogers in the center that I ate at about 5 years ago when the Acme was still open.

Marc82

I was listening to the an inernet radio show last night and they said a guy who works on the Howard Stern Show on Sirius Satellite Radio works for an ACME in the Philly area. His name is "Mark the Bagger."

U-save

Heres an Acme in Philadelphia, Pa. on Harbison Ave. and Roosevelt Blvd. These are before and after pics.

Before:

Ands After:

I know where that one is, I have cousins who live near that one

U-save

*Sigh* I love old Acmes. Just lov'em. The ones from the 50's and 60's and 70's and 80's. :bounce:

Love them too.

U-save

Acme's old fish logo from the 60's and 70's.

http://luvmy3toys.zoovy.com/category/miscellaneous/

Reminds me of the Jesus fish pins on cars

mikey7290

This is the former Acme Market in Gouverneur.  It was downtown at 137 East Main Street.  It was built in 1950 as a Market Basket, which I believe was owned by Acme.  It later took the Acme name and closed in 1971.  I found this pic online courtesy of the Gouverneur Tribune-Press newspaper, which published the photo just before the store went out of business.  After Acme closed, there were a couple of discount stores in this building before it became a mini mall in 1977.