Main Menu

Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

The Acme Sav-On in Bensalem, PA, when it was just "Acme".  This location originally opened in the early 1970's with the teardrop "Acme" signage, then later had the 1980's oval "acme" singage before it was expanded to it's current size.

This location is located at Bristol & Hulmeville Road.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

The shopping center street sign for the Bensalem Acme Sav-on.  The sign still has the 1980's oval "Acme" signage at the time of the photo's taking.  It has since been replaced by the current "Acme Sav-on" signage.  Also of note is the "First Union" signage (since replaced by "Wachovia", and soon by "Wells Fargo"):yup:

videogamer75

Cool to see the old 1980's Acme logo. There's a shopping center in Williamstown, NJ where there used to be an Acme. The road sign had all the blocks where store logos were blacked out, but the top one that had Acme on it was not blacked out enough and you can still see the 80's Acme logo quite clearly. I also have a picture of it on Flickr.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
The Acme at Granite Run Mall is a former Clovermarket.
if I am not mistaken, but the Kohl's at Granite Run Mall is the former Clover.  The current Acme Sav-on is a expansion of the former Acme store.  Here is a picture of what that Acme looked like before the expansion

Clover had grocery stores called Clovermarket at some locations. That store was a Clovermarket or a strange looking Acme!
That Acme at Granite Run Mall originally had two seperate entrances, as well as a Thrift Drug/Eckerd Drug store in there.

Eckerd? There was another Eckerd up the road next to Wawa.

Mobil

Acme has a new slogan for the second time in two years: "good things are just around the corner". Sounds like the True Value slogan. Before that it was "crazy about food".

acme style

QuoteThe interior which still looks to be in good shape. This Acme closed around 2003 and I remember it vividly because my mom used to work here years ago. See that spot in the back with the gray wall? I used to be allowed back there to get myself a soda with crushed ice.

videogamer75 has attached this image:

This is a great interior shot of a closed Acme. You can still clearly see the 3 rounds of decor that was used in this store since it first opened.

The orange and brown sections on the back of the store was the "look" of the meat department during Acme's 70's to early 80's period. The entire store had a colonial feel to it... as did many grocery stores of those times. The meat cases were only about waist high with an aisle behind them for employees to stock the cases and interact with customers.

In the mid 80's, Acme launched a massive chain-wide remodel. New meat cases were installed that went much higher... covering the 70's decor. I have seen this in other closed Acmes as well... the old 70's decor was never panted over.

The checkered floor was part of this remodel as well. At the time these floors added much needed life to Acme stores but did not fair well over time and became dated pretty quickly. They still exist in alot of Acmes even though additional remodels have been done. During th 80's and 90's Acme was notorious for not maintaining their stores. The 80's remodel was a bit behind the times when it was executed and aged poorly.

The wall graphics seen in this shot were not part of the 80's remodel. The graphics added then were cursive treatments with different color combinations for each department. (I will post a pic of these graphics and my next post) The graphic treatment seen in this picture occurred after Albertsons took over Acme around 98 or 99. This treatment was commonly done to Acmes that were not remolded in the 80's and still had the 70's colonial decor. This look is very similar to Albertsons stores in Florida. Clearly this treatment was an inexpensive way to spruce up old stores, but the results were underwhelming. SuperValu took over Acme a few years ago and has launched an agressive update to the chain. Few stores are being remodeled in favor of closing them and building brand new ones. Great for business but sad for those of us who love Acme's style of the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Check it out... Acme Style.
Check it out... Acme Style!

store215

Acme has a new slogan for the second time in two years: "good things are just around the corner". Sounds like the True Value slogan. Before that it was "crazy about food".

I thought the same thing...I have a feeling Acme isn't doing too well. They keep switching up slogans and trying to promote lower prices, although they are still significantly higher than Giant (probably their biggest threat in the suburbs) ,Shop Rite, and even Wegmans.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

I thought the same thing...I have a feeling Acme isn't doing too well. They keep switching up slogans and trying to promote lower prices, although they are still significantly higher than Giant (probably their biggest threat in the suburbs) ,Shop Rite, and even Wegmans.

Higher than Wegmans?

videogamer75

I hope Acme doesn't go out of business! Lancaster meats are the best, no other chains can beat their turkey and chicken. Shop-Rite should go instead - they have lower prices maybe, but also lower quality.

Mobil

An Acme with Starbucks. These Starbucks have been closing in the past year or so. They seem to have been relocating to freestanding ones.

videogamer75

Here's a better picture I took of a former Acme in Williamstown, NJ. There is a former Jamesway in the same plaza, which is now an office building for a company named Castleford Tailors Ltd.

videogamer75

The 1980's Acme logo, still visible on the plaza's road sign. This plaza has 11 stores including a Fashion Bug and a CVS/pharmacy in the parking lot. I first visited this plaza in the late 90's, at that time, Acme was still open. I think they closed in 2000-2001 or maybe even before that.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by acme style
QuoteThe interior which still looks to be in good shape. This Acme closed around 2003 and I remember it vividly because my mom used to work here years ago. See that spot in the back with the gray wall? I used to be allowed back there to get myself a soda with crushed ice.

This is a great interior shot of a closed Acme. You can still clearly see the 3 rounds of decor that was used in this store since it first opened.

The orange and brown sections on the back of the store was the "look" of the meat department during Acme's 70's to early 80's period. The entire store had a colonial feel to it... as did many grocery stores of those times. The meat cases were only about waist high with an aisle behind them for employees to stock the cases and interact with customers.

In the mid 80's, Acme launched a massive chain-wide remodel. New meat cases were installed that went much higher... covering the 70's decor. I have seen this in other closed Acmes as well... the old 70's decor was never panted over.

The checkered floor was part of this remodel as well. At the time these floors added much needed life to Acme stores but did not fair well over time and became dated pretty quickly. They still exist in alot of Acmes even though additional remodels have been done. During th 80's and 90's Acme was notorious for not maintaining their stores. The 80's remodel was a bit behind the times when it was executed and aged poorly.

The wall graphics seen in this shot were not part of the 80's remodel. The graphics added then were cursive treatments with different color combinations for each department. (I will post a pic of these graphics and my next post) The graphic treatment seen in this picture occurred after Albertsons took over Acme around 98 or 99. This treatment was commonly done to Acmes that were not remolded in the 80's and still had the 70's colonial decor. This look is very similar to Albertsons stores in Florida. Clearly this treatment was an inexpensive way to spruce up old stores, but the results were underwhelming. SuperValu took over Acme a few years ago and has launched an agressive update to the chain. Few stores are being remodeled in favor of closing them and building brand new ones. Great for business but sad for those of us who love Acme's style of the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Thanks, it is sad that these Acmes have to close. I can name at least 7 closed Acmes in South Jersey off the bat. I noticed how the plazas they are in now start to suffer without a grocery store anchor too. I don't really understand why they closed so many stores - a couple ones I remember that closed did great business.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
QuoteOriginally posted by acme style

Thanks, it is sad that these Acmes have to close. I can name at least 7 closed Acmes in South Jersey off the bat. I noticed how the plazas they are in now start to suffer without a grocery store anchor too. I don't really understand why they closed so many stores - a couple ones I remember that closed did great business.

Could you name them for me? Maybe in a new post?

videogamer75

1. Williamstown, NJ
2. Berlin, NJ
3. Egg Harbor City, NJ
4. Mantua Township, NJ
5. Clementon, NJ
6. Absecon, NJ
7. Paulsboro, NJ

Each one of these Acme stores is abandoned today.

Mobil

if I am not mistaken, but the Kohl's at Granite Run Mall is the former Clover.  The current Acme Sav-on is a expansion of the former Acme store.  Here is a picture of what that Acme looked like before the expansion

Clover had grocery stores called Clovermarket at some locations. That store was a Clovermarket or a strange looking Acme!
That Acme at Granite Run Mall originally had two seperate entrances, as well as a Thrift Drug/Eckerd Drug store in there.

This photo was taken in 1994.

videogamer75

I thought the same thing...I have a feeling Acme isn't doing too well.

Actually, I think Acme is going to be fine. They're owned by Supervalu, which is the nation's leading grocer and 10th largest general retail company.

Mobil

I thought the same thing...I have a feeling Acme isn't doing too well.

Actually, I think Acme is going to be fine. They're owned by Supervalu, which is the nation's leading grocer and 10th largest general retail company.

Actually, Kroger is the biggest grocer in the nation.

videogamer75

Actually it's Wal-Mart, since they have the Supercenters.

Mobil

Former Acme in Lansdowne, PA when it was open.

Mobil

When it was vacant.

Mobil

MikeRa

I got some more info on when the Acme at Granite Run Mall first opened.

This Acme moved to Granite Run Mall in 1970 from the north side of State Street, just west of Orange Street, in Media.

The Acme that was at State Street, west of Orange Street, was one of the porcelain front Acme stand-alone stores that had the vertical "Acme" tower in front of the store.

Mobil

This Acme moved to Granite Run Mall in 1970 from the north side of State Street, just west of Orange Street, in Media.

The Acme that was at State Street, west of Orange Street, was one of the porcelain front Acme stand-alone stores that had the vertical "Acme" tower in front of the store.

As far as I know, Granite Run Mall opened in 1974. In a local history book I saw a picture of an Acme on State Street taken in 1975. It had the 50's logo but not the tower/porcelain design. That one might have moved to the current Acme in Media, which used to be a Super Saver until it was demolished and rebuilt around 2003. I read, however, that at one time, Acme had stores on every corner in some places.

MikeRa

As far as I know, Granite Run Mall opened in 1974. In a local history book I saw a picture of an Acme on State Street taken in 1975. It had the 50's logo but not the tower/porcelain design. That one might have moved to the current Acme in Media, which used to be a Super Saver until it was demolished and rebuilt around 2003. I read, however, that at one time, Acme had stores on every corner in some places.
What I read from on Yahoo's Philly Traction group site, David Dillard, of Temple University, provided the infomation that the Acme at State Street was closed by 1970.  (This link) shows behind the Red Arrow Media trolley the Acme with the tower.  (This link), taken in 1970 at the same location, no longer show the Acme as being opened, which probally meansd that this Acme moved to the Granite Run Mall location, shortly before the main Granite Run Mall itself (with Sears, JC Penney, and Gimbels as anchors) opened.

Mobil

What I read from on Yahoo's Philly Traction group site, David Dillard, of Temple University, provided the infomation that the Acme at State Street was closed by 1970.  (This link) shows behind the Red Arrow Media trolley the Acme with the tower.  (This link), taken in 1970 at the same location, no longer show the Acme as being opened, which probally meansd that this Acme moved to the Granite Run Mall location, shortly before the main Granite Run Mall itself (with Sears, JC Penney, and Gimbels as anchors) opened.

There was also a very old A&P on State Street, now Iron Hill Brewery.

acme style

1. Williamstown, NJ
2. Berlin, NJ
3. Egg Harbor City, NJ
4. Mantua Township, NJ
5. Clementon, NJ
6. Absecon, NJ
7. Paulsboro, NJ

Each one of these Acme stores is abandoned today.

Hey videogamer... can you take pictures of any of these locations and post them? Egg Harbor is posted on Flickr by a bunch of people. Fascinating location. I would love to go see it in person before it gets demolished.

videogamer75

I already have pictures of Berlin, NJ; Clementon, NJ; Williamstown, NJ; Absecon, NJ; and the sign for Egg Harbor City, NJ on Flickr. I posted the Berlin and Williamstown pics here. :)

Egg Harbor's worth the trip I'd say. It's probably the last example of the tall, blue Acme road signs used in the 50's. Inside, there are some old shopping carts and a clock from maybe the 70's? From what I remember, the store had murals painted on the walls for things like Lancaster Meats, i'd go as far as to say it's the most ''vintage'' Acme left. The front doors are real boarded up good, but somebody on Flickr managed to break in and get a picture. Three years ago, they planned to demolish it and build more boring condos, but thankfully that did not happen.  Here's one of my Egg Harbor pics.

acme style

Here is the 1960's style Acme in Clayton, NJ!

Is this Acme still open? Didn't think any of these pitched roof style Acmes were still open. Certainly have never seen one with the current logo on it. I looked this up on Google earth. This store sits on a large piece of land with no other buildings. The parking lot is quite big for a store of this size. Surprised Acme has kept this location open without expanding it. Wonder what it looks like inside. I have never been in a pitched roof style Acme that had any upgrades or remodels done since the 70's. Every one that I was ever in was a dump and is long gone now.

acme style

I already have pictures of Berlin, NJ; Clementon, NJ; Williamstown, NJ; Absecon, NJ; and the sign for Egg Harbor City, NJ on Flickr. I posted the Berlin and Williamstown pics here. :)

Egg Harbor's worth the trip I'd say. It's probably the last example of the tall, blue Acme road signs used in the 50's. Inside, there are some old shopping carts and a clock from maybe the 70's? From what I remember, the store had murals painted on the walls for things like Lancaster Meats, i'd go as far as to say it's the most ''vintage'' Acme left. The front doors are real boarded up good, but somebody on Flickr managed to break in and get a picture. Three years ago, they planned to demolish it and build more boring condos, but thankfully that did not happen.  Here's one of my Egg Harbor pics.

Good to know there is someone is crazy as me.. I would totally try to break into the Egg Harbor Acme to take picutres! Do you know if the inside pics are still on Flickr? I've haven't come across them and I have searched endlessly for anything Acme.

videogamer75 you're nintendo85 on Flickr?  Great store shots!