Main Menu

Acme

Started by Caldor1999, May 03, 2005, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: mixedday on July 23, 2015, 06:07:46 PM
I had a chance today to visit the Safeway in Newark, DE (People's Plaza) and the Acme in Bear DE (Fox Hunt Dr.). These stores are 2 miles apart on the same road, US 40.

If challenged for having too much concentration, my guess is Acme might close the existing Acme instead of the Safeway, while converting that Safeway to Acme.

Do they even need to do anything?  After all, Acme is buying at least one A&P site that is closer to an existing Safeway (in Rehoboth Beach) than these two are to each other.  Not to mention that all the closings out west where the Safeway/Albertsons overlapped each other occurred already (and the ones I heard were often across the street or next to each other), so you'd think that it would have been made known by now if there was an issue here.

FitchMike26

Hello Mixedday. Some bits of info:

1) The Safeway in People's Plaza is a former Genuardi's and is much newer than the Acme on Fox Hunt Drive. Corporate seems content keeping both of these stores open for now. There is a second ShopRite (with a Glasgow address) one mile north on Route 896. It's a former Superfresh that ShopRite expanded, and is the largest (flagship) ShopRite in the state of Delaware. Safeway-Albertson's wants to keep open both stores on US 40 to compete with the two ShopRites to the North and East.

2) The "new" ShopRite you mentioned in Bear is also a former Genuardi's/Safeway that was sold to ShopRite around 2011.

3) Cecil County MD is a small, sparsely populated county that few chains seem interested in penetrating. Giant-Carlisle has one store in the northern part of the county (Martin's in Rising Sun) and ACME has a store in Elkton at the Big Elk Mall. Other than that, it's a very rural county.

4) Safeway-Albertson's seems content maintaining the existing Safeway stores in ACME territory (Delaware) and I don't think we are going to see any store name conversions.

5) The Safeway on Naamans Rd is also a former Genuardi's, and does brisk business from people over the border in PA. The existing ACME down the street tends to draw business from people in North Wilmington. I think both stores can co-exist.

mixedday

Quote from: FitchMike26 on July 23, 2015, 07:52:46 PM
Hello Mixedday. Some bits of info:

1) The Safeway in People's Plaza is a former Genuardi's and is much newer than the Acme on Fox Hunt Drive. Corporate seems content keeping both of these stores open for now. There is a second ShopRite (with a Glasgow address) one mile north on Route 896. It's a former Superfresh that ShopRite expanded, and is the largest (flagship) ShopRite in the state of Delaware. Safeway-Albertson's wants to keep open both stores on US 40 to compete with the two ShopRites to the North and East.

2) The "new" ShopRite you mentioned in Bear is also a former Genuardi's/Safeway that was sold to ShopRite around 2011.

3) Cecil County MD is a small, sparsely populated county that few chains seem interested in penetrating. Giant-Carlisle has one store in the northern part of the county (Martin's in Rising Sun) and ACME has a store in Elkton at the Big Elk Mall. Other than that, it's a very rural county.

4) Safeway-Albertson's seems content maintaining the existing Safeway stores in ACME territory (Delaware) and I don't think we are going to see any store name conversions.

5) The Safeway on Naamans Rd is also a former Genuardi's, and does brisk business from people over the border in PA. The existing ACME down the street tends to draw business from people in North Wilmington. I think both stores can co-exist.

Regarding #4, did Safeway-Albertson's comment that it wants to maintain Safeway in Northern DE?

Regarding #5, will they co-exist when the Concordville Wegmans opens?

When Wegmans opened in Cherry Hill, NJ it essentially wiped out 3-4 grocery stores:
1. Superfresh in Westmont which was clean and well run
2. Pathmark in Cherry Hill near a very dense area.
3. Stop&Shop later ShopRite in Brace Rd. Cherry Hill
4. Genuardi's of Cherry Hill (now a Whole Foods).

Plus Wegmans has had a ripple effect affecting these chains overall.

A&P decided to close on 1 & 2, and but maybe it was an A&P specific issue of not wanting to compete in Southwest NJ. A Thriftway/ShopNBag relocated from another smaller site to the Westmont site.

I don't know if Safeway as a banner has critical mass to be in Northern Delaware with only 2 stores, and one near a Wegmans.

I did miss the other ShopRite in Newark, so I agree it's unlikely ShopRite will add another store.

Management might indicate direction later. Much like Ahold that decided to convert the SuperG stores to Stop&Shop in South Jersey based on efficiencies of it being closer to the Edison distribution center. But it still lacked critical mass that it sold out to ShopRite.

Also, I'd think these stores being so close create inefficiencies and higher costs. Acme has been known to be weak, and high in pricing. I don't know if management will address these issues or keep things status quo. It seems to some extent that the strategy is to be like a convenience store or CVS that happens to keep produce, with multiple locations in close proximity. But inefficiencies might keep it pricey over competing supermarkets.

FitchMike26

Hello, Mixedday.

I don't have an official written statement from Safeway-Albertson's regarding stores in Delaware. I was just going off of discussions I've had with in store employees, plus comments people have made online. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

As for the Concordville (Glen Mills) Wegmans, I don't think the stores on Naamans Road will see as many effects from that store. For starters, it's going to be a smaller, more scaled back Wegmans. Secondly, I expect the ACME store in Glen Mills itself to feel the largest impact from Wegmans. The Nammans Rd ACME & Safeway probably won't see much of a difference.

In my opinion, the Wegmans in Cherry Hill had a bigger impact than the Concordville location will. It really only impacted the Pathmark & SuperFresh stores in the CH area. The Genuardi's closed because corporate was winding down the chain, and a successful Whole Foods is now operating there. The Giant-Landover/Stop & Shop store closed because *all* stores in South Jersey were closing. The fact that ShopRite still operates in that space 8 years later shows that Wegmans opening does not prevent a well ran grocery store from surviving in the same regions it runs a store.

You're absolutely right that we'll see what happens over time with these chains and locations. I guess it's time to sit back and watch!

JoshAustin610

The former Stop & Shop he's talking about, on Brace Rd in Cherry Hill, did close not long after being acquired by Shoprite, but I think was mostly due to the location (it's not on Rts. 38 or 70, which is where most of the retail around there is).  The Shoprite on Rt. 70 is one shopping center over from Wegmans, so if any store was affected by them it would have been that one; they're still open.

FitchMike26

I didn't realize any of the former Stop & Shop/ShopRite stores has closed, period. This is new to me. My apologies!

JimSawhill

Quote from: FitchMike26 on July 24, 2015, 05:00:59 PM
Hello, Mixedday.

I don't have an official written statement from Safeway-Albertson's regarding stores in Delaware. I was just going off of discussions I've had with in store employees, plus comments people have made online. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

As for the Concordville (Glen Mills) Wegmans, I don't think the stores on Naamans Road will see as many effects from that store. For starters, it's going to be a smaller, more scaled back Wegmans. Secondly, I expect the ACME store in Glen Mills itself to feel the largest impact from Wegmans. The Nammans Rd ACME & Safeway probably won't see much of a difference.

In my opinion, the Wegmans in Cherry Hill had a bigger impact than the Concordville location will. It really only impacted the Pathmark & SuperFresh stores in the CH area. The Genuardi's closed because corporate was winding down the chain, and a successful Whole Foods is now operating there. The Giant-Landover/Stop & Shop store closed because *all* stores in South Jersey were closing. The fact that ShopRite still operates in that space 8 years later shows that Wegmans opening does not prevent a well ran grocery store from surviving in the same regions it runs a store.

You're absolutely right that we'll see what happens over time with these chains and locations. I guess it's time to sit back and watch!

What's in the old Pathmark and SuperFresh location now?

MikeRa

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 26, 2015, 11:56:36 AM
Hello, Mixedday.

What's in the old Pathmark and SuperFresh location now?
Last I heard, the Pathmark of Church Road, Cherry Hill is still vacant
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on July 27, 2015, 10:19:01 PM
Last I heard, the Pathmark of Church Road, Cherry Hill is still vacant

Correct. The problem with half of the plaza is it's rundown. A former Rickel's site has been vacant for decades. It was so ghetto there that even TJMaxx left the shopping center, and Big Lots moved in.

I was hoping Wal-Mart could open a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets store in this site. They have the money to maybe buy out Big Lots out of the lease obligations, with a store that replaces half of the plaza (Big Lots, Rickels and Pathmark sites).

As for the Westmont Superfresh, Thriftway moved into that space by relocating from a smaller space from somewhere nearby.

mixedday

It seems that Acme wants to be strong by the Jersey and Delaware shores. Maybe it's because Wegmans won't come in this area, and some of the ShopRites aren't the caliber like in the suburbs closer to Philly.

Would it likely open up a location at the former Genuardi's in Barnegat?

http://safewayrealtyholdings.listinglab.com/3041BarnegatTownshipNJ/index.cfm

The Manahawkin Superfresh (which Acme put a bid on) is actually over 5 miles away, that possibly both stores can co-exist. Thoughts?

mixedday

Another Safeway owned former Genuardi's location in NJ that remains vacant is in Voorhees, NJ. However, an Acme is already very close to this location. There is a Target and Acme in this side of Voorhees, and a ShopRite (Evesham Rd.) by the Cherry Hill-Voorhees border as far as grocery stores nearby (although Target isn't a grocery store).

I've lately felt that this location might work as a Whole Foods Market, with the Voorhees demographics being favorable. White Horse Rd. is somewhat an arterial road in Camden County as well. There is Comcast and a few employers in vicinity. The Echelon Mall was redesigned as a Voorhees town center hybrid format. A Whole Foods nearby would really add a boost in activity in that area.

However, I do wonder if Albertsons/Safeway that owns this building would rather just keep it vacant at this point, than sell or let Whole Foods operate there. Even a Whole Foods would chip away market share from that Acme even though Acme and Whole Foods don't likely view each other as direct competitors. But for produce and meats, Acme would lose business.

MikeRa

Acme is now selling Safeway's The Snack Artist brand of snack foods (since 8/280 along with O Organtics and Open Nature

MikeRa

The following former A&P, Pathmark, and superfresh has reopened as Acme/Acme Pharmacy:

• SuperFresh at 180 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA (Opened 10/1/2015)
  • A&P Fresh at 55 Riverwalk Pl, West New York, NJ (Opened 10/9/2015)
  • Pathmark Super Center at 481 River Rd, Edgewater, NJ (Opened 10/9/2015)
  • A&P Fresh at 510 Valley Road, Montclair, NJ (Opened 10/10/2015)
  • A&P Food Market at 103 Knollwood Rd, White Plains, NY (Opened 10/11/2015)
  • Pathmark at 80 New Bridge Road, Bergenfield, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)
  • A&P Fresh (sans liquor dept) at 136 Lake Avenue, Midland Park, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)
  • A&P Fresh at 2160 Lemon Avenue, Fort Lee, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)
  • Pathmark at 58 Broadway, Elmwood Park, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on October 18, 2015, 10:40:48 PM
The following former A&P, Pathmark, and superfresh has reopened as Acme/Acme Pharmacy:

• SuperFresh at 180 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA (Opened 10/1/2015)
  • A&P Fresh at 55 Riverwalk Pl, West New York, NJ (Opened 10/9/2015)
  • Pathmark Super Center at 481 River Rd, Edgewater, NJ (Opened 10/9/2015)
  • A&P Fresh at 510 Valley Road, Montclair, NJ (Opened 10/10/2015)
  • A&P Food Market at 103 Knollwood Rd, White Plains, NY (Opened 10/11/2015)
  • Pathmark at 80 New Bridge Road, Bergenfield, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)
  • A&P Fresh (sans liquor dept) at 136 Lake Avenue, Midland Park, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)
  • A&P Fresh at 2160 Lemon Avenue, Fort Lee, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)
  • Pathmark at 58 Broadway, Elmwood Park, NJ (Opened 10/14/2015)

9 Down, 62 more to go!

MikeRa

Opened on 10/16/2015 as Acme/Acme Pharmacy:

• A&P Fresh at 520 Chestnut Ridge Rd, Woodcliff Lake, NJ
  • A&P Fresh at 45 De Mercurio Dr, Allendale NJ
  • A&P Fresh at 199 Kinderkamack Rd, Park Ridge, NJ
  • A&P Fresh at 23 Quaker Ridge Rd, New Rochelle, NY

Opened on 10/18/2015 as Acme/Acme Pharmacy:

• A&P Fresh at 125 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, NJ (Acme Pharmacy)
  • A&P Fresh at 75 Mayhill Street, Saddle Brooke, NJ (Acme Pharmacy)
  • A&P Fresh at 12 Cedar Street, Bronxville, NY (Acme Markets)
  • A&P Fresh with Food Emporium Deli at 777 White Plains Road, Scarsdale, NY (Acme Markets)
New store count for Acme Markets/Acme Pharmacy/Acme Sav-on: 124 stores
Edit: Thanks to Acme Style's blog

acme style

Quote from: MikeRa on October 20, 2015, 07:38:36 PM

• A&P Fresh at 125 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, NJ
  • A&P Fresh at 75 Mayhill Street, Saddle Brooke, NJ
  • A&P Fresh at 12 Cedar Street, Bronxville, NY
  • A&P Fresh with Food Emporium Deli at 777 White Plains Road, Scarsdale, NY

Feel free to credit Acme Style for these lists you're copying and pasting directly from my blog and publishing here.
Check it out... Acme Style!

MikeRa

Quote from: acme style on October 21, 2015, 09:56:21 AM
Quote from: MikeRa on October 20, 2015, 07:38:36 PM

• A&P Fresh at 125 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, NJ
  • A&P Fresh at 75 Mayhill Street, Saddle Brooke, NJ
  • A&P Fresh at 12 Cedar Street, Bronxville, NY
  • A&P Fresh with Food Emporium Deli at 777 White Plains Road, Scarsdale, NY

Feel free to credit Acme Style for these lists you're copying and pasting directly from my blog and publishing here.

no problem.

4 more stores opened yesterday, again thanks to Acme Style (I printed a page from the blog), and Acme Markets website (for the Albertsons Store Numbers, under their Cake ordering for each store):

• Acme Markets [Store #2417] (A&P Food Market): 680 McLean Avenue, Yonkers, NY
  • Acme Markets [Store #2420] (A&P Fresh): 261 South Ridge Street, Rye Brook, NY
  • Acme Markets [Store #2494] (A&P Fresh): 160 West Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT
  • Acme Markets [Store #2497] (A&P Fresh): 1261 East Putnam Avenue, Riverside, CT
New store count for Acme Markets/Acme Pharmacy/Acme Sav-on: 128

What I've notice is that the A&P stores in NY and CT do not even have a Pharmacy Department in the stores, so there won't be any Acme Pharmacy or Acme Sav-on stores in those 2 states, so far.

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on October 22, 2015, 12:58:28 AMWhat I've notice is that the A&P stores in NY and CT do not even have a Pharmacy Department in the stores, so there won't be any Acme Pharmacy or Acme Sav-on stores in those 2 states, so far.

I know the one in Pleasant Valley had one for a time, but then removed it - I think there it may have been partially for space (as that store is not quite as large as some) - there was also a newer CVS just down the block which may have had a bearing on it also.

nysw3636

From what I was told by people in the know...

A&P Pleasant Valley, NY is closing Monday night (10-27) and re-opening as ACME on Friday morning (10-30).
A&P Hopewell Jct,NY is closing Sunday night (10-26) and re-opening as ACME on Wednesday (10-28)
A&P Lagrangeville,NY starting liquidation sale tomorrow. Once done, it will be gutted by SHOPRITE with January re-opening.

Also, the only reason the A&P in Lagrangeville has stayed open is because of the pharmacy. It made BIG $$$. Again, from people in the know...

mjb1124

There's no plans as far as I know, but I feel like the A&P Fresh in Metuchen NJ would be a good site for Acme to take over.   It's a pretty big and modern store which seems to get solid business, and it's not too close to any existing or soon-to-be Acmes.   I suppose the nearby ShopRite in Edison might be a threat to them, despite it being a small and dated store.    I wonder if ShopRite themselves would consider moving to the A&P site.

mixedday

Quote from: mjb1124 on October 22, 2015, 05:54:49 PM
There's no plans as far as I know, but I feel like the A&P Fresh in Metuchen NJ would be a good site for Acme to take over.   It's a pretty big and modern store which seems to get solid business, and it's not too close to any existing or soon-to-be Acmes.   I suppose the nearby ShopRite in Edison might be a threat to them, despite it being a small and dated store.    I wonder if ShopRite themselves would consider moving to the A&P site.

Acme competes with ShopRite, across the street, in many areas in South Jersey. I don't think the new owners would be concerned with that threat esp. if the ShopRite was small and dated. Granted, up by Central to Northern NJ area, dependent on the area, Acme is a new name.

On the other hand, when Acme is disadvantaged with a smaller older store, it has no qualms about closing. I do wonder how long the Acme in Burlington Twp. NJ will last since it's in a center with a Super Wal-Mart (originally just a regular Wal-Mart), and a new ShopRite just opened recently in Burlington Twp. (at a former Kmart site).

mixedday

Hello, Mixedday.

The Concordville Wegmans opens tomorrow. Wegmans expects to draw customers from Northern Delaware.

Read here:

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/money/2015/11/04/new-wegmans-has-strong-delaware-vibe/75157218/

FitchMike26

Hi Mixedday! I think you may have been misunderstanding what I was trying to say:

Of course they will attract customers from Delaware, and probably a few from Western Cecil County Maryland too!

That being said...I think the biggest impact on ACME will be felt at the Glen Mills ACME, a mere half mile north of Wegmans on Baltimore Pike. The ACME and Safeway stores on Naamans Road in Delaware are both 6.5 miles away; I expect a lesser impact to be felt here.

There may (or may not) also be a small impact felt on the Granite Run & downtown Media ACME stores as well, both of which are located north of Wegmans, also on the same road (Baltimore Pike). These stores are a little further though (7 miles and 9.5 miles) so who knows if they will experience a drop in revenue.

In short, the ACME store that is the most in danger is Glen Mills. That was my original point.

store215

Quote from: FitchMike26 on November 07, 2015, 08:22:40 PM

In short, the ACME store that is the most in danger is Glen Mills. That was my original point.

Didn't that store just get a remodel earlier this year? I really wondered why they bothered. Wegmans pretty much kills Acme no matter where they have gone, even with Acme's new change of direction in pricing, service, etc., they still have nothing on Wegmans.

BillyGr

Quote from: store215 on November 07, 2015, 11:49:18 PM

Didn't that store just get a remodel earlier this year? I really wondered why they bothered. Wegmans pretty much kills Acme no matter where they have gone, even with Acme's new change of direction in pricing, service, etc., they still have nothing on Wegmans.

Maybe that is why they did a remodel - knowing Wegmans was coming?  Seems like it would make sense.  Plus I would assume the Wegmans is larger (probably quite a bit)?  You always get those who think those stores are too big and prefer the smaller sized ones who will stick to the older (Acme) location.

FitchMike26

The new Wegmans is a slightly scaled down store...only 110,000 sq ft; compared to others nearby that are 130,000-140,000 sq ft.

I don't know the official size of the Glen Mills ACME, but I would guess it's around half that (maybe 55,000 sq ft)?

mixedday

The CH Wegmans is 125,000 sq.ft, while the Concordville one is 110,000 sq.ft. Will that 15,000 sq.ft make much of a difference?

Regarding the CH Genuardi's, it closed a year or so before the last three remaining NJ stores in Marlton, Egg Harbor and Barnegat store, while Safeway was trying to sell the remaining three stores. Likely the Wegmans of CH was problematic to that CH store operation.

Also Ahold pulled out of South Jersey a year after Wegmans opened in Mt.Laurel and CH. Wegmans operating in the two wealthiest areas in South Jersey, destroyed whatever premium price point strategy Ahold was trying to achieve.

That maybe true.  Atleast with the Cherry Hill Wegmans, it wiped out 4 competitor stores. However, the Mt. Laurel Wegmans had less of an impact with only 1 ACME store closing. A Giant store in York Rd in Cockeysville MD still co-exists with a Wegmans in Hunt Valley half a mile away, albeit on different roads.

Acme might be stronger now. It of course shall be seen if it wants to consolidate, however. 2 Safeway stores in NE Delaware where it's the Philly TV market, might be extraneous. One nice thing about the Safeway is the Starbucks counter, and the prepared foods. I'm not sure if it's a driver to people to do full groceries (like $200/week at a store) however.

FitchMike26

Hello again, Mixedday.

I don't want it to appear that we are in a debate about opinions. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I am entitled to mine. If you wish to believe that Wegmans killed the Cherry Hill Genuardi's, and also killed Ahold in South Jersey, then continue believing so. I hope it helps you sleep at night.

One last fact: Cherry Hill's sq footage does not include it's freestanding beer/liquor store. I don't have the sq ft of that, so maybe you can find it and add it to the 125,000 sq ft of the actual store to give us the overall total.

Collegeville, King of Prussia, Malvern, and Warrington all have their beer inside the store, hence their sq footage seems larger than Cherry Hill's.

mixedday

Quote from: FitchMike26 on November 09, 2015, 04:00:17 PM
Hello again, Mixedday.

I don't want it to appear that we are in a debate about opinions. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, and I am entitled to mine. If you wish to believe that Wegmans killed the Cherry Hill Genuardi's, and also killed Ahold in South Jersey, then continue believing so. I hope it helps you sleep at night.

One last fact: Cherry Hill's sq footage does not include it's freestanding beer/liquor store. I don't have the sq ft of that, so maybe you can find it and add it to the 125,000 sq ft of the actual store to give us the overall total.

Collegeville, King of Prussia, Malvern, and Warrington all have their beer inside the store, hence their sq footage seems larger than Cherry Hill's.

You don't have to be condescending with that comment.

Facts:
Wegmans opened in 2006 in Cherry Hill and Mt. Laurel, near 4 Stop&Shop stores (2 in CH and 2 in Mt. Laurel). In 2007, Ahold sells it's South Jersey Stop&Shop stores to Wakefern. Ahold gave the Stop&Shop banner little time to mature in SJ before calling it quits, and seeing the competition was so strong.

My viewpoint:
Wegmans has a large impact in an area. Marginal chains that are present but might not be strategic in an area are first to go.

Correction: The Cherry Hill Genuardi's actually closed just 6 months ahead of the other 3 other South Jersey Genuardi's stores. But it's still telling that the only one near a Wegmans was closed, while the others were kept open in hope of a buyer.