Payless Shoe Source

Started by rjstheiv, January 12, 2009, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjstheiv

The Payless in West Mifflin PA. It still has the old logo.

rjstheiv

back of payless store in west mifflin PA.

Mobil

The one near me just closed.

videogamer75

This store kind of sucks, every time I get shoes here they fall apart within 5 months! I do walk a lot, but shoes shouldn't fall apart that early.

NJxxJon

I can get a 25 Dollar pair of shoes that last 8 months online. Without leaving my house - the internet is awesome.
JN

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

ShopKo has Payless ShoeSource in all of their locations.

Marc82

They had a store inside the Price Chopper Supermarket in Southington. They leased space from PC just like UPS does and Citizen's Bank. They closed. Then PC moved their candle dept into there. Now it's offices and storage.

MikeRa

Quote from: videogamer75 on January 13, 2009, 04:04:35 PM
This store kind of sucks, every time I get shoes here they fall apart within 5 months! I do walk a lot, but shoes shouldn't fall apart that early.
I had a pair of dress shoes from Payless that actually lasted a good year for me.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

One of two Payless locations in West Hartford, CT closed, which is located on Kane Street in the Prospect Plaza. They closed sometime last week, cleared the entire store of merchandise and fixtures in one day, and removed the sign on the building.

The Payless on New Britain Ave/Corbin's Corner remains open.

This will be the second vacancy in this plaza so far this year. Hometown Buffet closed in February. When I started working at ShopRite in November, 2010, the whole strip of stores in the plaza were occupied. I'm surprised of these closures, but I wouldn't want to locate any store in this plaza. The area is just too sketchy. Many things happen there and there is non-stop shoplifting.

JimSawhill

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 04, 2012, 07:24:48 PM
One of two Payless locations in West Hartford, CT closed, which is located on Kane Street in the Prospect Plaza. They closed sometime last week, cleared the entire store of merchandise and fixtures in one day, and removed the sign on the building.

This will be the second vacancy in this plaza so far this year. Hometown Buffet closed in February. When I started working at ShopRite in November, 2010, the whole strip of stores in the plaza were occupied. I'm surprised of these closures, but I wouldn't want to locate any store in this plaza. The area is just too sketchy. Many things happen there and there is non-stop shoplifting.

The Shop Rite is the old FINAST?? Old Country Buffet is closed??  Darn...  another part of my CT life is gone... :(

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on June 16, 2012, 04:09:23 PM

The Shop Rite is the old FINAST?? Old Country Buffet is closed??  Darn...  another part of my CT life is gone... :(

ShopRite used to be Edwards, then it became Shaw's, and now it is Shoprite. Yes, the "Country Buffet" closed in January/early February. There are three left in CT, including the one I always used to go to in Wethersfield. That's a nice one.

standa

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 16, 2012, 07:23:12 PM

ShopRite used to be Edwards, then it became Shaw's, and now it is Shoprite. Yes, the "Country Buffet" closed in January/early February. There are three left in CT, including the one I always used to go to in Wethersfield. That's a nice one.

I think that West Hartford Shoprite was once Woolco, before Edwards, but I am not certain.  does anyone know?

AmesNewington

Quote from: standa on June 17, 2012, 08:16:43 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on June 16, 2012, 07:23:12 PM

I think that West Hartford Shoprite was once Woolco, before Edwards, but I am not certain.  does anyone know?

I heard it might have been a Grant's dept. store.

Most of the Payless ShoeSource locations in the West Coast were once called Volume ShoeSource, like this location about to open at Factoria Square in Bellevue, Washington in 1987:

A pharmacy, known as Payles Drug, already had trademarks on the "Payless" name in that part of the United States at the time.

Read more about Factoria Square here:
http://jana-treeclimber.blogspot.com/2013/03/factoria-square-march-1987.html

Payless ShoeSource is basically shooting themselves in the foot with the news of bankruptcy. (pun intended)

retailisking

Despite Payless emerging from bankruptcy in August, their situation appears as dire as ever
https://www.retaildive.com/news/debtwire-payless-lenders-prep-for-downward-spiral/544771

Everything Community

Payless did end up filing for bankruptcy the second time, liquidating the remaining line of stores all across North America (especially the U.S.) in spring 2019 although there are still locations operating outside of that continent. The company is still around, and believe it or not, it did emerge from bankruptcy in early 2020. Later that year, Payless officially dropped 'ShoeSource' from its name, and launched its ecommerce website.

Here's the status as of now about the location at Tri-City Plaza in Vernon, CT since it closed in July of 2017 during their first bankruptcy. Nothing has occupied in that spot since with that labelscar from Payless days showing the older logo still intact if you notice clearly.
You cannot see attachments on this board.