Shop n Save

Started by rjstheiv, January 11, 2009, 04:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjstheiv

The Shop n Save in Baldwin PA on Joseph street. The store is pretty nasty inside.

http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Search.aspx

TRJ22487

I'd forgotten I took this picture, but I just found it
Me and my mom walking up to
Shop n Save (now Hannafords)
Fort Kent, Maine
6-28-2004
At the time the store had a huge mix of SnS, IGA, A&P, Grand Union carts

The Shop n Save I went to most as a kid was Claremont, NH (Now Hannafords) I always liked the way the store seemed to be set back from the main road, and had its own parking lot

TRJ22487

Was there ever another thread for this?
I'm suprised there aren't more pictures
I'd like to see some of their bigger stores, the types I remember going to as a kid, with the same logo as the picture I posted above

kendra

Just to clarify...the Northeast Shop 'n' Saves are the ones that predominantly became Hannafords, however, there is also a Shop 'n Save banner owned by Supervalu, which is the one that is more commonly known throughout the US, I think. There are evidently some stores in Pennsylvania and West Virginia that are also bannered as Shop 'n Save.

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by TRJ22487
I'd forgotten I took this picture, but I just found it
Me and my mom walking up to
Shop n Save (now Hannafords)
Fort Kent, Maine
6-28-2004
At the time the store had a huge mix of SnS, IGA, A&P, Grand Union carts

Ooo, and that's a Paradis** Family Supermarket, too, which evidently have some weird relationship with Hannaford (nee Shop 'n' Save) whereas they stock Hannaford products and have Hannaford interior signage, fliers, carts, etc., but are still bannered as Paradis...there was one a couple streets away from me back when I lived in Brewer, ME, which was odd as there was a 'proper' Hannaford quite nearby as well. I did a lot of my shopping there, since I could walk to it...nice place.

**(pronounced "pear-rah-dee" not "paradise," if anyone was bothered)

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra
Ooo, and that's a Paradis** Family Supermarket, too, which evidently have some weird relationship with Hannaford (nee Shop 'n' Save) whereas they stock Hannaford products and have Hannaford interior signage, fliers, carts, etc., but are still bannered as Paradis...there was one a couple streets away from me back when I lived in Brewer, ME, which was odd as there was a 'proper' Hannaford quite nearby as well. I did a lot of my shopping there, since I could walk to it...nice place.

**(pronounced "pear-rah-dee" not "paradise," if anyone was bothered)

Hannaford has done this in other areas (like here around Albany, NY) - these stores tend to be in areas that are smaller and are existing stores, so Hannaford just acts as a wholesaler to the locally owned stores.

They do sometimes take them over (I'm guessing when an owner wants to get out (retire etc.)) then Hannaford will buy the location and re-sign it Hannaford, as opposed to Shop n Save.  

They did that with 2 of the 4 stores in this area a year or two ago, but the other 2 still run under the Shop n Save name (which I guess they did after converting all their company owned stores to Hannaford a few years back so as to designate which are company owned and which are not).

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by rjstheiv
The Shop n Save in Baldwin PA on Joseph street. The store is pretty nasty inside.

http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Search.aspx

Could you define nasty?

rjstheiv

dirty, filthy, carts rusted, floor chipped up, roof caving in, lights falling down, meat is nasty, fruit is moldy

jmcnamara96

dirty, filthy, carts rusted, floor chipped up, roof caving in, lights falling down, meat is nasty, fruit is moldy

YUCK! i would report that has it closed?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on January 21, 2010, 09:39:47 PM

YUCK! i would report that has it closed?

I would have that supermarket shut down by the health department.

TRJ22487

Former Shop n Save in Claremont, NH

gu4ever

Shop n Save shopping bags.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

MikeRa

Quote from: kendra on March 14, 2009, 06:22:09 PM
Just to clarify...the Northeast Shop 'n' Saves are the ones that predominantly became Hannafords, however, there is also a Shop 'n Save banner owned by Supervalu, which is the one that is more commonly known throughout the US, I think. There are evidently some stores in Pennsylvania and West Virginia that are also bannered as Shop 'n Save.
The Pennsylvania and West Virginia Shop 'n' Save are indenpendently owned.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Does anybody know what part of the country that Shop 'N Save operates in? I would certainly love to know.

MikeRa

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on November 09, 2012, 10:42:55 PM
Does anybody know what part of the country that Shop 'N Save operates in? I would certainly love to know.
The SuperValu owned Shop 'N' Save are in the St. Louis area.  The superValu supplied Shop 'N' Save are in Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: MikeRa on November 29, 2012, 05:10:20 PM
The SuperValu owned Shop 'N' Save are in the St. Louis area.  The superValu supplied Shop 'N' Save are in Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia

Do they have a website at all that gives customers the areas of their locations in Pennsylvania and West Virginia?

MikeRa

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on November 29, 2012, 05:29:56 PM

Do they have a website at all that gives customers the areas of their locations in Pennsylvania and West Virginia?
For the Pittsburgh Shop 'N' Save locations: http://shopnsavefood.com
For the SuperValu owned Shop 'N' Save locations in the St. Louis area: http://www.shopnsave.com

JimSawhill

Quote from: MikeRa on December 04, 2012, 04:59:22 PM

For the SuperValu owned Shop 'N' Save locations in the St. Louis area: http://www.shopnsave.com

In the 1980s Connecticut had a chain called Shop N Save.... One of the stores in Newington (next to Wal-Mart) is a Staples, In west Hartford on Rt 44 is now a Staples, too. A few others, too...

Joeg

I think they were called StopnSave, then became Warehouse Foods(remember them??)

TRU7536

Quote from: JimSawhill on February 09, 2013, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on December 04, 2012, 04:59:22 PM

In the 1980s Connecticut had a chain called Shop N Save.... One of the stores in Newington (next to Wal-Mart) is a Staples, In west Hartford on Rt 44 is now a Staples, too. A few others, too...

The Staples in Newington has been there forever. I think it was built in the 60s along with the former Bradlees/Two Guys. I read its been quite a few different food stores before a staples.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on February 09, 2013, 02:41:55 PM
I think they were called StopnSave, then became Warehouse Foods(remember them??)

Warehouse Foods.. yes...what a dump.....

JoeG, remember the smaller chains in CT: Franks, popular and Top Notch?

Joeg

Yes, but they were succesfull in there times (late 70's/early 80's).  One of their stores (West Haven CT) had a grand opening week of a MILLION dollars in 1981!!

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on February 16, 2013, 07:23:25 PM
Yes, but they were succesfull in there times (late 70's/early 80's).  One of their stores (West Haven CT) had a grand opening week of a MILLION dollars in 1981!!

Wasn't West Haven another ShopNSave? Remember Everybody's Market?

Joeg

No, they opened as a Warehouse Foods, the other stores converted from Stop and Save to Warehouse Foods sometime in 1974 or 1975.

nysw3636

I remember a Shop 'N Save in Kingston, NY. I believe it opened in late 1993. It is currently a Hannaford, just not sure when it changed names. I'm want to say early 2000's...

BillyGr

Quote from: nysw3636 on February 23, 2013, 05:42:12 PM
I remember a Shop 'N Save in Kingston, NY. I believe it opened in late 1993. It is currently a Hannaford, just not sure when it changed names. I'm want to say early 2000's...

Yep - all the stores in this area (at least up here around Albany) used the Shop 'N Save name when they first moved into the area (about the same time as you mention in Kingston).  At one point, Hannaford decided it was easier to re label the stores (since they used several names in different areas) to all use the corporate Hannaford name.

If was after this that they seem to have started re-using the Shop 'N Save label on stores which they supply but do NOT own (independents that simply deal with them as a supplier).

TRJ_22487

I wish a photo of this store were out there, it was the biggest supermarket in Keene when it opened in 1984.
I believe 1996 was when it switched to the Hannaford name from Sun Foods. It has been remodeled a few times since and remains a very modern store.
The West St Shopping Center was a pretty big deal when it first opened between this and the Rich's store across the plaza, but I've never seen a vintage photo of this plaza in all my years of searching. SOMEONE must have photographed it back in the day.... I know the Keene Sentinel did a story on the Rich's store and had a black and white picture, but that was 20 years ago, and I've never seen the photo, only heard of it from someone who had worked there...

retailisking

Sun Foods was the old New York division of Hannaford Bros. IIRC they were the first to adopt the Hannaford banner.

retailisking

I've cross-posted this from the IGA thread because it's relevant here as well - the local IGA is joining forces with Hannaford and becoming a Shop 'n Save: