Roy Rogers

Started by amesman, January 09, 2005, 07:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRU7536

Roy rogers of newington has officially closed. I just realized it today, I work right across the street. I asked someone how come all the lights are off and how come they didn't shovel their driveway, lol. They been closed since v-day, the day of the snow storm.their going to be an arbys. I take pics of it.

Marc82

Dang Man! What the heck? :-( Arby's ain't even that great. When my mom was working at a client's house in Plantsville she stopped at that Arby's a few times and it was blah. I like my own roast beef and cheddar sandwhiches better.

So now the only Roy's left in Connecticut is the one in Manchester. Their website says they're opening new restautants and look for franchisee's so why are they closing them down? :huh:

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
Roy rogers of newington has officially closed. I just realized it today, I work right across the street. I asked someone how come all the lights are off and how come they didn't shovel their driveway, lol. They been closed since v-day, the day of the snow storm.their going to be an arbys. I take pics of it.

Roy Rogers of Newington closed? That one's an oldie; must've been built in the 1970s. This follows that one in North Haven on Rt. 5 Loki was telling us about. Is the company in some trouble now?

After viewing their locator, the last remaining store in the state is the one on the Tolland Turnpike in Manchester, CT. In New York, there seems to be a remaining quantity in the upstate realm travel plazas.

I'll have to get down there and take some shots myself... if you see a black Honda around as much as the Newington Fair does, you'll know it's me. That's a prime location for a business... I bet McDonalds is pissed they just rebuilt their store...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

amesman

just to let you guys know, the one in Manchester, CT is a former Howard Johnson's.

XISMZERO

Here's some images I took today at the now closed Roy Rogers. Is it going to become Arby's? It will most likely be a quick convert. I did a full-spread on my website... check it!

http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2007/02/sundown-for-roy-rogers.html
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

scottw73

The Wendy's on Federal Road in Brookfield, Ct used to be a Roy Rogers! I miss their Chicken,  Biscuits (Strawberry Shortcakes) and Roast Beef

patk

a Roy Rogers is coming to North Stonington, CT :bouncing:
exit 93 on i95 at the CT/RI line!
if you go take pics of it
http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by patk
a Roy Rogers is coming to North Stonington, CT :bouncing:
exit 93 on i95 at the CT/RI line!
if you go take pics of it
http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com

Most unusual news in the world of chain restaurants for Connecticut! Note how many Roy Rogers existing today are on the border of Connecticut (and where they do well: New York rest stops)...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

patk

patk

the Noth Stonington, CT Roy Rogers is open!
it opened on 1/24/08 :bouncing:

arnoldziffel

there is a free standing roy rogers on long island.  In fact, it's the only one on long island.  It's last renovation was probably in the early 80's.

beachgal26

I remember the location on Route 40 in Baltimore very fondly and loved all their food.  Sadly, once we moved to other states, we were never able to find them and I always make sure to visit one when I visit MD as they still seem to be alive and well.

I, for one, do not care for Arby's roast beef at all, but I do like some of their chicken items.  They are no match for Roy Rogers.

patk

a pa Turnpike Roy Rogers!
West bound only its at Milepost 304.8
its in the Peter J Camile Travel Plaza
its inbetween Exits 312 and 298

the sign

the place
thats all :cool:

GothicPrincess

There's a ton of Roy Rogers along the PATP. I use that route all the time when I go to Jersey from here. Usually end up stopping for roast beef sammys and salad bar lol
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

MikeRa

In Philadelphia, Pa, the bulk of the Roy Rogers (of which the bulk of them were former Geno's Restaurants) were sold to Boston Market.:D

In nYC, there is at least 1 Roy Rogers, and it is located in the Penn Station/Madison Square Garden complex.:holysh:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

DerangedHermit

QuoteOriginally posted by arnoldziffel
there is a free standing roy rogers on long island.  In fact, it's the only one on long island.  It's last renovation was probably in the early 80's.

It's on William Floyd Pkwy. in Shirley just south of its interchange with Sunrise Highway. Pretty good food and yes, they have the fixings bar.

Most of their items are pretty good still, the Gold Rush sandwich is probably my favorite.

patk

heres the new Roy Rogers of North Stonington, CT! its in there

:bouncing:

EddieJ1984

I liked Roy Rogers when I was a kid. The one that was near me is now a Wendy's (NE Philly, cottman & bustleton)

videogamer75

I tried Roy Rogers' potato wedges at the rest area one on the GSP in Seaville, NJ. That location is now closed. I now have to go to Toms River to find one.

david121

There's a few in the DC area. I know of one in Fairfax County near Ft. Belvoir, and one in Gaithersburg, MD. I think there might be a couple others I have missed.

MikeRa

There used to be a Roy Rogers inside the Trenton Train Station, in Trenton, NJ, until early last year, when it was closed due to the fact of the train station getting rebuilt.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

DerangedHermit

The last Roy's on LI (in Shirley) closed Monday. Slightly sucks, but considering it was just crap under a heat lamp and a sad fixings bar...

patk

Quote from: patk on March 03, 2009, 12:14:27 PM
heres the new Roy Rogers of North Stonington, CT! its in there

ive got bad news the Roy Rogers of North Stonington, CT has closed :o :'( its now a mom&pop thing!
i dont know y it closed ??? rip 08-2011

buzz86us

Roy Rogers is only in rest stops these days it is a shame because they make some great fried chicken which is now ultra-expensive with the markups from thruway service areas. I haven't seen a free-standing Roy Rogers in forever.

ynkeesfn82

An ad in a August 1989 Southington Observer newspaper for a special kids event at Roy Rogers listed 3 locations:

45 Farmington Avenue Bristol

328 Queen Street Southington

1248 South Broad Street Wallingford

The Bristol location is now Boston Market. The Southington location is now Wendy's. Not sure what's at the Wallingford location, but it's in Kohl's Plaza I believe.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 13, 2013, 11:23:00 PM
An ad in a August 1989 Southington Observer newspaper for a special kids event at Roy Rogers listed 3 locations:

45 Farmington Avenue Bristol

328 Queen Street Southington

1248 South Broad Street Wallingford

The Bristol location is now Boston Market. The Southington location is now Wendy's. Not sure what's at the Wallingford location, but it's in Kohl's Plaza I believe.

In Manchester on Tolland Turnpike was an Roy Rogers... it used to be a HoJo

Pikapower

Roy Rogers seems to be a common restaurant in highway service stations/plazas. I never saw a Roy Rogers restaurant outside of the highway service station/plaza setting.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

zonemad96

There is plenty of free standing Roy's restaurants here in Maryland, there is 6 just in Fredrick alone. I just wish they had a dollar menu .-.

BillyGr

Quote from: Pikapower on February 16, 2014, 08:42:09 PM
Roy Rogers seems to be a restaurant in highway service stations/plazas. I never saw a Roy Rogers restaurant outside of the highway service station/plaza setting.

Quote from: zonemad96 on February 16, 2014, 11:56:24 PM
There is plenty of free standing Roy's restaurants here in Maryland, there is 6 just in Fredrick alone. I just wish they had a dollar menu .-.

That makes sense, since the current owner of the brand was formerly a franchisee and happened to be located in Maryland.  Apparently it did well enough for him to buy the company outright.

Elsewhere, the majority of them do tend to be in service plazas, but there are still a (very) few others.

zonemad96

Quote from: BillyGr on February 17, 2014, 07:38:16 PM
Quote from: Pikapower on February 16, 2014, 08:42:09 PM
Roy Rogers seems to be a restaurant in highway service stations/plazas. I never saw a Roy Rogers restaurant outside of the highway service station/plaza setting.

Quote from: zonemad96 on February 16, 2014, 11:56:24 PM

That makes sense, since the current owner of the brand was formerly a franchisee and happened to be located in Maryland.  Apparently it did well enough for him to buy the company outright.

Elsewhere, the majority of them do tend to be in service plazas, but there are still a (very) few others.

They do pretty well here they opened 6 freestanding restaurants since 2011 with 2 being in VA and the other 4 in MD and they opened 2 of their express locations in NJ so maybe they will make a comeback in the future. Their roast beef kicks the hell out of Arby's it taste like real meat unlike the fake rubber deli meat that Arby's has and their gold rush ham&cheese and chicken is delicious but you need a sweet tooth to eat it.