11 Stores down for MACYs

Started by NJxxJon, January 08, 2009, 12:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJxxJon

* Ernst & Young Plaza (Citicorp Plaza), Los Angeles. (136 employees, opened in 1986)
    * The Citadel, Colorado Springs, Colo. (105 employees, opened in 1984)
    * Westminster Mall, Westminster, Colo. (110 employees, opened in 1986)
    * Palm Beach Mall, West Palm Beach, Fla. (71 employees, opened in 1979)
    * Mauna Lani Bay Hotel, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii (3 employees, opened in 1983)
    * Lafayette Square, Indianapolis (84 employees, opened in 1974)
    * Brookdale Center, Brooklyn Center, Minn. (72 employees, opened in 1966)
    * Crestwood Mall, St. Louis (176 employees, opened in 1969)
    * Natrona Heights Plaza, Natrona Heights, Pa. (124 employees, opened in 1956)
    * Century III Furniture and Clearance, West Mifflin, Pa. (3 employees, opened in 2000)
    * Bellevue Center, Nashville, Tenn. (76 employees; opened in 1990)

---------

http://consumerist.com/5126243/macys-closing-11-stores
JN

patk

oh thats NOT a good sign :holysh:

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by patk
oh thats NOT a good sign :holysh:

not...........at...........all.
JN

Mobil

The only Macys I know of that ever closed was in Houston, TX. They must have exited the market.

Zayre88

It's not a good sign, but it was predictable.  Macy's is expensive.  These retailers will be the first hit with the bad economy and credit crunch.

CTAmeshopper

PHEW not Connecticut, for now.

Looks like pricey chains arn't popular in downturns, not surprised.

powersbt

Basically, they said that they were cleaning up a bit, trimming a few underperforming stores. This discussion was brought up not too long ago when Sears did the same thing. I don't see it as being the demise of Macys. Once again could also be Lease Issues.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
It's not a good sign, but it was predictable.  Macy's is expensive.  These retailers will be the first hit with the bad economy and credit crunch.

I agree with you there. I never liked Macy's, the merchandise really isn't worth the amount of money. You can't say ''Macy's'' and ''good deal'' in the same sentence.

TRU7536

QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper

Macy's is quite popular in CT. I heard and read when Macy's bought out Filines/Lord & Taylor Parent company, peoples were too happy! Many refuse to shop at Macy's and they over expanded into markets they probaly shouldnt have.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper

Macy's is quite popular in CT. I heard and read when Macy's bought out Filines/Lord & Taylor Parent company, peoples were too happy! Many refuse to shop at Macy's and they over expanded into markets they probaly shouldnt have.

idk why people would refuse to shop there when macys was no diffrent from filenes or any of the other stores they took over
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HoJofan206

I dont personally have anything against Macy's themselves, but I dont like it when one retailer comes in and buys up/takes over all of its competition.  This happened when Macy's purchased (took over) Lazarus here in Evansville In.  By doing so, it forced another retailer (that they also purchased) to shut their doors because they didnt need two anchor stores in the same mall.  Competition is always a good thing for consumers. When any anchors leave a mall it tends to ignite other smaller retailers to do the same, or at the very least, cause people to think that the mall itself might be on a downturn, which often isnt the case.  

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
I dont personally have anything against Macy's themselves, but I dont like it when one retailer comes in and buys up/takes over all of its competition.  This happened when Macy's purchased (took over) Lazarus here in Evansville In.  By doing so, it forced another retailer (that they also purchased) to shut their doors because they didnt need two anchor stores in the same mall.  Competition is always a good thing for consumers. When any anchors leave a mall it tends to ignite other smaller retailers to do the same, or at the very least, cause people to think that the mall itself might be on a downturn, which often isnt the case.  

its still the same i remeber going into filenes and then macys and seeing the same thing only thing that was diffrent was lord & taylor and well thats why they keeped them rather then converting them into macys i kinda see it as being useful im not gonna lie Competition is good but sometimes it can go overbord when 2 or more stores sell the same thing at the same price thats what i nodiced with macys and filenes
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

I agree with you there. I never liked Macy's, the merchandise really isn't worth the amount of money. You can't say ''Macy's'' and ''good deal'' in the same sentence.

its not but in the long run it is and your get your moneys worth same with sears and jc penny stuff u get there lasts but its not so so cheep im the kinda person who sticks to something that will last
Caldor Forever!