Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 10, 2018, 10:58:07 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 10, 2018, 12:29:23 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on January 09, 2018, 10:39:10 PM
Quote from: JJBers on January 09, 2018, 09:44:21 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 09, 2018, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on January 09, 2018, 09:06:02 PM
No Toys R us got bankruptcy due to debt frm their buyout. KMart wll prob go before Toys R us.

That's one thing I don't understand: Why is nobody understanding why Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy in the first place? It's not because of other retailers. It's because of debt from their buyout by KKR, Bain Capital and Vornado Realty Trust.
Well, clearly they couldn't get out of debt, so the competition played some role in this.
Walmart had a role in it due to convience and pricing

i hope i am right of they will close 1s where there is another 1 nearby.
This will only happen in North America (U.S./Canada). Stores licensing the Toys "R" Us brand in other parts of the world won't close.

Again I thought they said in Sept the vast majority of their stores are profitable. I hope I Am right they will close ones where they have another Toys r us in a 15 min drive.

How will the play labs work? and the digital experience of you go in and an app in your phone shows Geoffrey? they are doing way more than Kmart has ever done to keep up.
Hopefully they'll close them, but they'll most likely close those, along with stores in smaller areas. This might mean my closest one in Waterford, CT. Thankfully the Manchester one is most likely safe.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on January 10, 2018, 12:22:30 PM
No Toys R us got bankruptcy due to debt frm their buyout. KMart wll prob go before Toys R us.

That's one thing I don't understand: Why is nobody understanding why Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy in the first place? It's not because of other retailers. It's because of debt from their buyout by KKR, Bain Capital and Vornado Realty Trust.
Well, clearly they couldn't get out of debt, so the competition played some role in this.

This will only happen in North America (U.S./Canada). Stores licensing the Toys "R" Us brand in other parts of the world won't close.

Again I thought they said in Sept the vast majority of their stores are profitable. I hope I Am right they will close ones where they have another Toys r us in a 15 min drive.

How will the play labs work? and the digital experience of you go in and an app in your phone shows Geoffrey? they are doing way more than Kmart has ever done to keep up.
Hopefully they'll close them, but they'll most likely close those, along with stores in smaller areas. This might mean my closest one in Waterford, CT. Thankfully the Manchester one is most likely safe.

small areas?????  what f ones in years where there is no Toys r us for an hr or 2 away.

what f 1 in Billings MT as its market is 150K ppl and its never been remodeled since it opened in 1992.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 10, 2018, 01:53:32 PM

small areas?????  what f ones in years where there is no Toys r us for an hr or 2 away.

what f 1 in Billings MT as its market is 150K ppl and its never been remodeled since it opened in 1992.
Well then...I don't know? If the closest Toys R Us after some closures was over a hour away, then just shop somewhere else. They've closed Kmart where it's hours and hours away to the nearest one.
For the second point, then either they'll close it, or renovate it if they can.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on January 10, 2018, 03:20:09 PM

Well then...I don't know? If the closest Toys R Us after some closures was over a hour away, then just shop somewhere else. They've closed Kmart where it's hours and hours away to the nearest one.

if its the only one around for a while away it should do well. and ok Kmart and Toys r us are different, as Kmart you got Walmart nearby and They are similiar stores and toys r us its the only store of its kind and they want to make it a destination center, also that errodes their market share of closing only one around and it makes no sense as if its the only one arund it would draw a lt f ppl. closing oh like NEwington CT makes sense as there are W Hartford and MAnchester nearby. WAlmart and Target are not toy stores! they have a limited variety and Toys r us has more.

What ya mean of the Billings 1 renovate it if they can, whatll stop that?
Unrenovated  Toys r us' have survived closings before.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 10, 2018, 03:47:36 PM

if its the only one around for a while away it should do well. and ok Kmart and Toys r us are different, as Kmart you got Walmart nearby and They are similiar stores and toys r us its the only store of its kind and they want to make it a destination center, also that errodes their market share of closing only one around and it makes no sense as if its the only one arund it would draw a lt f ppl. closing oh like NEwington CT makes sense as there are W Hartford and MAnchester nearby. WAlmart and Target are not toy stores! they have a limited variety and Toys r us has more.

Uhhhhh...ok. I'm not sure how similar and different they are since I think I've only been to a Toys R Us twice in my whole life.
Also, I'm just basing this off of other stores, I'm not sure what's the plan with the Toys R Us closures.
Lastly, I believe Walmart has enough toys so that most parents who shop at Walmart for any other things will also get toys primarily there as well.
My Flickr

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: JJBers on January 11, 2018, 12:37:48 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on January 10, 2018, 03:47:36 PM

Uhhhhh...ok. I'm not sure how similar and different they are since I think I've only been to a Toys R Us twice in my whole life.
Also, I'm just basing this off of other stores, I'm not sure what's the plan with the Toys R Us closures.
Lastly, I believe Walmart has enough toys so that most parents who shop at Walmart for any other things will also get toys primarily there as well.
Toys "R" Us has toys that Walmart and Target does not stock, like motorized ride-on vehicles for young children (Power Wheels) and large play areas made of plastic and manufactured by the likes of Step 2 and Little Tikes.

They also sell items that are not available at the big box retailers (Toys "R" Us Exclusives).

Walmart and Target, as well as other big box retailers have limited space to sell their toys. Their toy departments look like a bunch of small aisles compared to the "toy supermarket" known as Toys "R" Us. Toys "R" Us may have better selection, but their prices are part of the problem, not part of the solution. They are on the expensive side.

danfifepsu

Toys "R" Us has toys that Walmart and Target does not stock, like motorized ride-on vehicles for young children (Power Wheels) and large play areas made of plastic and manufactured by the likes of Step 2 and Little Tikes.

They also sell items that are not available at the big box retailers (Toys "R" Us Exclusives).

Walmart and Target, as well as other big box retailers have limited space to sell their toys. Their toy departments look like a bunch of small aisles compared to the "toy supermarket" known as Toys "R" Us. Toys "R" Us may have better selection, but their prices are part of the problem, not part of the solution. They are on the expensive side.
[/quote]

all other places that closed had a simiilar competitor and TOYS R us desnt. yes Walmart may have it where you can buy other stuff tthere but TOYS R US has more , and yes they need to watch prices .

they have not announced any closings. they said last week they hired a liquidator for certian store closures but nothing since said.

Also I called a store a few days ago and nothing!!!

Also 3 weeks ago reports said Toys r us was  considering closing 100 t 200 stores and A spkesman said.final  decisions have not been made.and after.a.review.of.their real estate portfolio biz decisions will be made.after.what.is best for their business and  how that figure mentioned of closings is premature speculation and likely to be inaccurate.      

I  thought toys r us when filing said vast majority of their stores are profitable

danfifepsu

Toys "R" Us is add augmented reality experiences to various aisles of their stores. People with iPhones will have one more reason to visit besides shopping for a toy for their children.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 15, 2018, 08:40:36 AM
Toys "R" Us is add augmented reality experiences to various aisles of their stores. People with iPhones will have one more reason to visit besides shopping for a toy for their children.
and play labs tooo! Still nothing of closings. Im willing to bet many of the toys r us express or outlet near a real  toys r us will close. They said most of their stores are profitable!? They are doing a better job than kmart. When i said close ones where another is near and not close ones where its the only one around, well almost all the Best  Buys that closed had another one within 20 min away.

danfifepsu

Also i went to one in bangor maine on a friday a yr ago from this time and it had people buying stuff at 1030 am but normally its not as that way on fridays( trump it was annaugeration day) and since i went they repainted the entrance from rainbow to modern blue, what justified that (it was done ie in 2017).  Also when u get off the hwy the store is right there (on the retail strip, mall area)

danfifepsu

OK of Toys r us I saw on google reviews on a store that someone said the store was quite empty on a Wensday afternoon last week, does that mean that store will close?????

Also still nothing of store closings, its been almost 3 weeks of said hires a liquidator for store closings and nothing. They staved off those reports of they are considering closing 100 to 200 stores, according to ppl familiar with the matter, saying its speculation and likely inaccurate, who should I believe?

danfifepsu

here ls the list https://www.scribd.com/document/369864806/Toys-R-Us-Stores-Closing-List.

FOR CT: Newington is on the list (SURPRISED?) and Why is Waterbury? and North Haven Combo store is and Babies R us in Manchester is too.

Why are half Babies R us on that list and 40 percent of the 182 closing are.

Bangor Maine's Toys R us is on that LISt too! WHY? W that and the mall dying I feel EVERYONE is leaving Bangor!

danfifepsu

I was IN BANGOR's Closing sale and it was 10 to 30 percent off. OK The store is A DUMP, has a crap selection, was smelly and dirty inside, very small, its aisles hadn't been rearranged since it opened, NO Big Star Wars and Movie HQ aisles. The store told me it opened 1989. Whats your take on this store? I had been there before and it would appear the store was closed during it's hours of operation when pulling in. I was told it wasn't that packed even in December.
The one in Portland is way way way way better and Portland's told me when they were making evaluations, they were making it's way to Portland Toys R us, Babies r us in Portland and Bangor's store and they told me That they spent 4 hours in Bangor's store alone saying this is bad! they said Bangor's wasnt very well run.

What's the Chances there will be another wave of closings?

Pikapower

I came across an old layout I made a few years ago for a Kids "R" Us revival

I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

danfifepsu

Quote from: Pikapower on February 24, 2018, 04:56:12 PM

what will happen to Toys r us?

Pikapower

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 24, 2018, 05:25:56 PM

My guess is that maybe that they will go online only.

As for the Kids "R" Us revival layout TRU is a rather small "carve-out" section (similar to what Justice did with Brothers) in the Kids "R" Us store. according to my fanon KRU store layout.

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

danfifepsu

Quote from: Pikapower on February 24, 2018, 05:45:55 PM

As for the Kids "R" Us revival layout TRU is a rather small "carve-out" section (similar to what Justice did with Brothers) in the Kids "R" Us store. according to my fanon KRU store layout.

there will be NO MORE physical Toy Retailer left! and many shopping areas no longer special

Pikapower

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 24, 2018, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: Pikapower on February 24, 2018, 05:45:55 PM

there will be NO MORE physical Toy Retailer left! and many shopping areas no longer special

With my speculation on Toys "R" Us going online only, Babies "R" Us would go out.

Toys "R" Us store #6038 (Green Bay, Wisconsin) - Then & Now:

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 27, 2018, 04:24:49 AM
Toys "R" Us store #6038 (Green Bay, Wisconsin) - Then & Now:

GREAT FIND!! and 1984? wow.

Also I FEAR TOYS r us will liquidate? If they do when? there are reports of 2nd wave of 200 closings, when will that take place? Will Toys r us just be in the bigger cities soon?

Like everyone else on these forums, I am uncertain of what's to come in the future. Maybe they'll switch to being an online retailer like Montgomery Ward did, after the rights to the Montgomery Ward brand was purchased by Swiss Colony. Or maybe Toys "R" Us should license their brand to the toy departments of major big box stores under the name Toys "R" Us Toy Box.

The road to the future is a long and bumpy one. Fasten your seat belts.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 27, 2018, 04:05:32 PM
Like everyone else on these forums, I am uncertain of what's to come in the future. Maybe they'll switch to being an online retailer like Montgomery Ward did, after the rights to the Montgomery Ward brand was purchased by Swiss Colony. Or maybe Toys "R" Us should license their brand to the toy departments of major big box stores under the name Toys "R" Us Toy Box.

The road to the future is a long and bumpy one. Fasten your seat belts.

I hope they emerge!

Quote from: retailisking on February 28, 2018, 06:59:21 PM
Liquidation sales underway
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43225248
I knew the writing was on the wall for TRU UK when they closed a location which got converted into an IKEA furniture store not long after.

MikeinBuffalo

Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

retailisking

Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on March 01, 2018, 12:17:57 PM

Much like Sears Canada, maybe it's an omen?

TRU's eventual demise in the US is inevitable, and will likely happen soon, as the longer the stores stay open, the less creditors will recover. The Asia division might survive, though, under a new owner.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on March 01, 2018, 12:31:16 PM
Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on March 01, 2018, 12:17:57 PM

Much like Sears Canada, maybe it's an omen?

TRU's eventual demise in the US is inevitable, and will likely happen soon, as the longer the stores stay open, the less creditors will recover. The Asia division might survive, though, under a new owner.

What???? You doubt Toys r us will make it?

Pikapower

Toys "R" Us is going under because kids aren't playing with toys like they used to. It's all just Ipads and smartphones for any kids ages 6-12 years now a days.

The sale of "traditional" toys for kids are kind of staggering now.

Toys "R" Us is going to liquidate their stores, signalling the end of an era for the category killer. There's zero chance that Toys "R" Us will survive. I'm going to miss Toys "R" Us when that day comes. I guess I'm going to have to do some bargain hunting at that store until that day comes...