Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us/Kids "R" Us

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 22, 2017, 06:28:54 PM
Will anything happen to Toys r us?
Toys "R" Us will lay off employees at the corporate level, but nothing else will happen.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 22, 2017, 08:23:37 PM
Toys "R" Us will lay off employees at the corporate level, but nothing else will happen.

good and its the ONLY BRICK AND MOTOR Toy chain left. Why did Duluth one close in 2006? and also in statements a little while ago they said 98 percent of their stores are PROFITABLE!

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 22, 2017, 09:59:39 PM

good and its the ONLY BRICK AND MOTOR Toy chain left. Why did Duluth one close in 2006? and also in statements a little while ago they said 98 percent of their stores are PROFITABLE!
BRICK AND MOTOR? Don't you mean BRICK AND MORTAR?

A motor is found inside a car. Mortar is what holds bricks together. There's a BIG difference.

I do hope nothing bad happens to Toys "R" Us. Besides Toys "R" Us, the only other toy stores I can think of are local family-owned toy stores that don't carry video games like Nintendo Switch and Xbox One or such mainstream toys as Barbie dolls, Hot Wheels cars, or action figures based on comic book superheroes like Batman or science fiction movies like Star Wars. If Toys "R" Us fails to make money during the holiday season, they'll have to close some stores. I hope that does not happen. I hope they can balance out online and brick-and-mortar sales to survive, so they can compete with the likes of Walmart and Amazon.com.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 22, 2017, 11:14:53 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on February 22, 2017, 09:59:39 PM

BRICK AND MOTOR? Don't you mean BRICK AND MORTAR?

A motor is found inside a car. Mortar is what holds bricks together. There's a BIG difference.

I do hope nothing bad happens to Toys "R" Us. Besides Toys "R" Us, the only other toy stores I can think of are local family-owned toy stores that don't carry video games like Nintendo Switch and Xbox One or such mainstream toys as Barbie dolls, Hot Wheels cars, or action figures based on comic book superheroes like Batman or science fiction movies like Star Wars. If Toys "R" Us fails to make money during the holiday season, they'll have to close some stores. I hope that does not happen. I hope they can balance out online and brick-and-mortar sales to survive, so they can compete with the likes of Walmart and Amazon.com.

how they do in holiday season varies and why close if 98 percent of their stores are profitable and which ones would close.

It makes me wonder if a buyout by the TJX Companies is enough to save them...

retailisking

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 26, 2017, 08:08:29 PM
They couldn't save Bob's Stores, and I doubt they'll try that sort of thing again.

Quote from: retailisking on February 27, 2017, 03:25:43 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 26, 2017, 08:08:29 PM
They couldn't save Bob's Stores, and I doubt they'll try that sort of thing again.
I guess they're going to have to save themselves at this point...

TheFugitive

Quote from: danfifepsu on September 06, 2017, 08:18:27 PM
What will happen:  http://www.wcvb.com/article/toys-r-us-exploring-bankruptcy-as-one-option-to-deal-with-400m-in-debt/12189536

Same thing that happened to Ames.  They'll file Chapter 11, stumble along, closing stores, struggling to keep the shelves stocked.  A long, drawn-out Sears style death.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 07, 2017, 09:55:43 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on September 06, 2017, 08:18:27 PM
What will happen:  http://www.wcvb.com/article/toys-r-us-exploring-bankruptcy-as-one-option-to-deal-with-400m-in-debt/12189536

Same thing that happened to Ames.  They'll file Chapter 11, stumble along, closing stores, struggling to keep the shelves stocked.  A long, drawn-out Sears style death.
'

they cat as they are the only toy chain LEFT. and of stores they said 98 percent of them are profitable.

TheFugitive

Walmart has become the Category Killer in toys.
Sad to say a chain dedicated to a toy vertical may no longer be needed in the market.

You can make just about any store profitable by scaling back the payroll.
However, then you can't keep up on the maintenance and the restocking, and the
place eventually enters a death spiral where you can't keep it profitable.

Believe me, I lived this for many years.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 07, 2017, 01:55:02 PM
Walmart has become the Category Killer in toys.
Sad to say a chain dedicated to a toy vertical may no longer be needed in the market.

You can make just about any store profitable by scaling back the payroll.
However, then you can't keep up on the maintenance and the restocking, and the
place eventually enters a death spiral where you can't keep it profitable.

Believe me, I lived this for many years.

WELLLLL They need to put stuff in Amazon doesnt have. Also if they close stores I feel and hope I am right that ones that will close are in areas where you can get to another one within 10-15 min. I FEel like Swansea mass one WILL CLOSE, as its in a not major retail market with ones in WArwick RI, ATtleboro MA and Dartmouth MA 15 min away.

I hope that Toys "R" Us survives the retail apocalypse. Life would be pretty boring without them and their fun stores. Toys "R" Us used to have competition back in the 1980s and 1990s with Child World, Children's Palace, Lionel Kiddie City, Circus World and Kay Bee Toys. They are now the last toy retailer of their kind. Toys "R" Us used to be really great back in the day, but somehow, online competition and other big box retailers have dimmed that magic.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 08, 2017, 03:55:55 AM
I hope that Toys "R" Us survives the retail apocalypse. Life would be pretty boring without them and their fun stores. Toys "R" Us used to have competition back in the 1980s and 1990s with Child World, Children's Palace, Lionel Kiddie City, Circus World and Kay Bee Toys. They are now the last toy retailer of their kind. Toys "R" Us used to be really great back in the day, but somehow, online competition and other big box retailers have dimmed that magic.

I feel Toys R us wll and as long as they add stuff Amazon doesnt have they are fine. Yes TOys r us is last of its kid, It wont regain the magic it had in the 1980s and first half of 1990s. Child world went out 25 yrs ago this time. What was Lionel Kiddie City? But if they close stores, will any Toys r us / Babies R us side by side ones go? They said 98 percent of their stores are profitable.  I feel ones that will go are in areas where they can get to another one oh 10 to 15 min away, an example one in Swansea mass is in a non active retail area where the mall is dying w not much else around it and there are others (Warwick RI, Dartmouth MA, ATtleboro Ma) that are 15 min from it in more active shopping area.

I hope that most of the profitable stores stay, and the stores that have Babies "R" Us on one side can just downsize by scaling back the baby department.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 11, 2017, 04:51:00 PM
I hope that most of the profitable stores stay, and the stores that have Babies "R" Us on one side can just downsize by scaling back the baby department.

Well I wnder if I am right that what will close are ones in areas where oyu can get to another the same area, that one in Swansea mass is an example the mall its near has half stores gone w 1 anchor and almost no other retail and there are 3 others 15 min away that are in more active areas.

The store in my area is doing well despite all the bad news.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 13, 2017, 05:17:02 PM

what store/ a store in Billings MT i went there 5 yrs ago and they said there is no babies r us in it as they dont make enough revenue for one, I mean what?

Quote from: danfifepsu on September 13, 2017, 06:27:49 PM

what store
The Toys "R" Us store on West Mason Street in Green Bay, Wisconsin which opened October 1984.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 14, 2017, 01:50:55 PM

what store
The Toys "R" Us store on West Mason Street in Green Bay, Wisconsin which opened October 1984.

IT WONT CLOSE, its the only one around. I sense ones that will close wil be in areas where you can get to another one thats oh like 10 to 15 miles and what will close are in the weaker shopping areas in that area and will remain are the ones in the stronger shopping areas.  some have a toys r us / babies r us and a stand alone Babies r us 5 miles or less and I bet the stand alone one will close, ie gets rid of excess real estate.

Quote from: danfifepsu on September 14, 2017, 02:30:16 PM

what store

IT WONT CLOSE, its the only one around. I sense ones that will close wil be in areas where you can get to another one thats oh like 10 to 15 miles and what will close are in the weaker shopping areas in that area and will remain are the ones in the stronger shopping areas.  some have a toys r us / babies r us and a stand alone Babies r us 5 miles or less and I bet the stand alone one will close, ie gets rid of excess real estate.
The only other location in my area is the Appleton, Wisconsin location (near Fox River Mall), which was renovated to include a Babies "R" Us store.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 14, 2017, 06:51:05 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on September 14, 2017, 02:30:16 PM

what store

I Am worried Toys r us will go out entirely soon. They have the potential they need to refinance their stuff
The only other location in my area is the Appleton, Wisconsin location (near Fox River Mall), which was renovated to include a Babies "R" Us store.

JJBers

My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

The reason that Toys "R" Us filed for Chapter 11 was because the retailer is up to Geoffrey's nose in debt thanks to the leveraged buyout by Bain Capital, KKR and Vornado. This is why leveraged buyouts should be illegal. Leveraged buyouts are the vampires of capitalism.

giantsfan2016

I wish it was posted online somewhere. KOOL Radio in Southern New England (Hartford, Springfield, and Westerly) this morning played an ad during their morning show that was a parody of a Toys R Us going out a business sale.