Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us/Kids "R" Us

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

hears  the sign again this plazza is now full and it has been since the chrismas tree shops opened
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

That's one old looking plaza. How old is that place??

Caldor1999

that mall is proble as old as me my guess is that it was bult in 1988
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

WHEN DID THE TOYS R US GET REMODELED??? WHAT DOES THE ONE IN MILFORD CONNECTICUT CURRENTLY LOOK LIKE?????? WHen did they open the last of the old School TOys R us' (ones with a brown front on, with rainbow colors near the entrence, and the rest of the building being white) and when did they start opening Toys R us' with the white look?

I have a picture of the one in WEst Hartford (I FOUND IT FROM First washington realty page) it opened 1980 or 1981 and is 36,510 square feet and it is in curbon corners plaza across westfamrs mall.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

WHEN DID THE TOYS R US GET REMODELED??? WHAT DOES THE ONE IN MILFORD CONNECTICUT CURRENTLY LOOK LIKE?????? WHen did they open the last of the old School TOys R us' (ones with a brown front on, with rainbow colors near the entrence, and the rest of the building being white) and when did they start opening Toys R us' with the white look?

I have a picture of the one in WEst Hartford (I FOUND IT FROM First washington realty page)

that toys r us got rentvated in the late 90's in like 1999 1998
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

I have a picture of the one in WEst Hartford (I FOUND IT FROM First washington realty page)

that toys r us got rentvated in the late 90's in like 1999 1998

Which Toys r us do you mean when you said "THAT TOYS R US"? Do you mean DAnbury?

I have a picture of the one in Norwalk ct. DID THAT ONE GET RENOVATED OR RELOCATED?

truviking05

I'm not sure exactly when the last brown store opened and when they started doing the stores in white, but here are the dates of some stores I know:

-online I found a pic of a brown with rainbow stripes TRU that had been built in 1983 or 1984.

-there is an unremodeled, completely old-style TRU (I have pics!!) built in 1989-1990 with a white facade a few towns over.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
I'm not sure exactly when the last brown store opened and when they started doing the stores in white, but here are the dates of some stores I know:

-online I found a pic of a brown with rainbow stripes TRU that had been built in 1983 or 1984.

-there is an unremodeled, completely old-style TRU (I have pics!!) built in 1989-1990 with a white facade a few towns over.

post them (the pictures you say found) here please. I believe 1990 was the bridge of the old style Toys r us and the white facede. ANd then I believe 1996 was the bridge from the white to the blue with Glass windows look.

MY closest Toys r us is in Concord NH and it is white and was built in 1992 and opened around HAlloween in 1992. I remember they remodeled the TOys r us in MAnchester NH in the Summer of 1992 (I was 9 then) and it had the old style look and I Was told the one in MAnchester was built in 1981. The one in Nashua is big and opened in early 1991 and the one in sAlem NH is big and opened in early 1992. Both NAshua and SAlem NH have the white facades. The one in NEwington NH (near Portsmouth) was remodeled in 1997 and now has the blue and glass windows look and originally had the old school look and when I asked a woman there when it was built she said, she remembers taking her kids there in the 70s.

In MAine there are two TOys r us'. There is one in South Portland that I belived opened in 1981 and I remember it being remodeled in 1997 and now has the blue glass windows! it had a Kids R us next door. I went to the one in Bangor in 1999 and it had the old school look, and judging the store number (7519),  it probably opened in 1989 or early 1990, or maybe 1988. When I was there I saw a vacant Kids R us next door that had a Ben FRanklin label on the door handle (meaning the kids R us may have closed long ago and Ben FRanklin replaced it)

I went to one in Williston vermont three years ago. Judding the store number (7537) it, may have opened in late 1996. I have a picture of the one in WIlliston.

ExcelMaster

QuoteI worked for Toys r us in newington CT for years. Our store did great in sales, number one in sales gain compared to last year in all of new Engalnd! Our store is one of the smallest in CT, but rankes number one in customer service in CT! U would think out store would do bad, since Caldor closed in 99, but not true, our sales have rocked since they closed! Our former Caldor of Newington is still closed though, and TRU even thought about closing but didnt, cause of good sales!

Glad to see that store is doing well!  I was part of the opening team back in 95.

Jag67

That's a very old store. Opened in the 70's, or at least before 1981.

truviking05

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
This is an interesting Toys R us

Wow. Awesome pics! Do you know where this store is? It is eerily identical to my beloved old TRU. Heck, maybe it's even it!

d_fife

Toys R Us being renovated

WHERE IS THIS TOYS R US (post posted on 1/7/2005 at 12:46 AM ) AND THE ONEs in post : posted on 1/7/2005 at 03:19 AM)

WHEN DID ANAHEIM CLOSE??? IT LOOKS OLD!

I heard Toys r us closed 27 stores in 2002, ones that were makign enough money, but not enough to be reformated into the mission impossible format.

WHICH TOYS R US' closed? (I Know that the one in Alexandria Lousina closed in that round and it opened in 1991 and it was big, I never saw this toys r us, but found it somewhere, I HEAD THAT THE OFFICEMAX NOT TOO FAR FROM IT CLOSED AND THE KB IN THE MALL NEAR THAT TOYS R US CLOSED AND THE MALL HAS SOME VACANCIES, meaning Alexandria is a dying retail area).

Which 27 Toys R us' closed in that round? IT said some where relocated which ones?

In late this year or next year, some stores will close. I bet around 100 to 130 stores will close. This is speculation, I bet they will close ones in areas where you can get to another Toys r us within 15 minutes, BUT I told my dad this speculation and he said not everybody will go to the next one. LIke, My nearest Toys r us is in Concord NH And I bet it will close because it is not as busy as most Toys r us', it is not well stocked, it is small and Manchester is not too far and a beter store. They closed the one in REvere earlier this year and you can go to Medford and Peabody, both within 15 minutes. They closed East HAven Conn 4 years ago and you can go to Hamden and Milford, both within 15 minutes. Toys r us' locations tend to be near malls and just off the highway.

I went to one in Woburn MAss 5 years ago and it had the old style look, YET IT IS HUGE and IN A VERY BAD LOCATION! IT is in a plaza by itself with a small star market, Osco Drug (BROOKS), papa gino's, hallmark store, rinky dink stores and is 2.5 miles away from any other plaza (the nearest other plaza has michaels, service M, ETthan allen, IPArty) and half a mile from the nearest McDonald's, and is 4.5 miles from the Burlington Mall and on a DIFFERENT strip than the BURLINGTON MALL, and is about 3 miles from the HIGHWAY. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF WOBURN? ANd I went to one 6.5 miles away in Cambridge in Fresh Pond Plaza, the plaza was on a rotary, in a plaza with a cinema, Kitchen Etc (closed), TJ MAxx, WHOLE FOODS MARKEt, payless shoes, Mcd's, Staples and the Toys r us was originally an Ames that was a Zayre (it looked like it) and a 99 restuarant, BK, Cvs and NEwbury Comics were across the street and someone told me their brother said there are hardly an cars in the Toys r us in cambridge parking Lot. 5 miles away (not using interstate) was the Toys r us in Medford, in a plaza with Ames, Stop and Shop, AC MOORE that moved and now model's, TJ MAxx and not too far from the Meadow Glen mall and located 5.5 miles away from the closed Toys r us In Revere. Which Toys r us of the 3 will close? Why don't they close both Cambridge and WOburn and open one in Burlington not too far from the Burlington MAll in a brighter and big location, but there may be no room. Cambridge is n't in a best location and it I belive opened in 1992, woburn is in a poor location and was apparently one of the first stores, with that old school look.

I went to one in Dedham 2 years ago, it is north of the closed Dedham mall, and it is moderate size, and it is purple and has yellow door, and I was told it got remodeled in FAll 2002, meaning it was probably brown before. IT is located between Mcdonald's and Dedham MAll. Do you think that will go? There is no Wal-mart or Target or Kmart there, but I saw a vacant Bradlees and Ames. I went to one Kingston MAss 2 years ago and it was small and located near car dealers and near the Independence mall.

I heard there is one In Swansea mass ( I AM GOING THERE VERY SOON) and the bookstore manager of my college worked at the one in N ATtleboro ( I AM GOING THERE SOON) and he said he thinks Swansea will close because it is an older store, not very busy, and you can go to the ones in Dartmouth (I HAVE BEEN THERE AND IT WAS SMALL), WArwick (I AM GOING THERE SOON and I heard that got remodeled) and NORTH ATTLEBORO.

I HEARD THE ONE IN PLATTSBURGH NY closed a few years ago. It was like 17,000 square feet. That was how big the Borders that replaced it was, from what an article said. 17,000 square foot Toys r us, it must have been a pretty bad Toys r us and I heard it only lasted 5 years. there is one across the River in Williston Vt (That is somewhat small) and one 110 miles south in Glens Falls NY (I went there last year and it had the Concept 2000 look, with blue with glass windows with yellow around and was small and looked like it may have been one of the last stores Toys r us opened)

I have never been to the one in Newington Ct. DO YOU THINK THAT WILL CLOSE?

How small is WEstport? What is sad about Toys r us is that in 1992 Child World closed, I only went to ones in Nashua and Salem NH (NOW X-mas tree shops), and saw ones in Portland me and DAnvers mass (it is now Compusa and in Liberty Tree Mall parking lot), and saw the remains of one in Saugus (now Decathalon sports which is sure to be gone! and in the Ames' Saugus Plaza) and Dartmouth Mass (now Ann and HOpe Outlet and across the dadrtmouth Mall)

d_fife

a closed Toys R Us in Anaheim

WHERE WAS The one in Anheim located?

AND WHERE WAS THE FIRST TOYS R US ever? When did it open as Toys r us? and when did the first store open and where?

Caldor1999

AND WHERE WAS THE FIRST TOYS R US ever? When did it open as Toys r us? and when did the first store open and where?

Toys R Us was Founded in 1948 but i donmt know were
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

old styled Toys R Us perhaps?

that logo looks panted were are u getting these great pictures from?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears a Toys R Us in CT i dont know the town or City its in i passed it on 95 i also saw alot of Home Depots and 2 Wal Marts like 5 mis away from Eachouthyer also one of thoughs Wal Marts was located right down the street from a Bradlees:mad:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

d_fife

and hears anouther one on I 95

WHERE IS THIS TOYS R US LOCATED?

I GUESSED WHERE THE OTHER ONE IS (THE PICTURE ABOVE): NORWALK. I Looked up where there could be 2 wal-marts in 5 mins and a Home Depot nearby, and Norwalk fitted the bill.

THere is only one state without TOYS R US: WYoming. According to my road atlas, the state has nearly 500,000 people, the largest city cheyenne has 53,000 people and the state is 97,100 square miles and is 180 miles away from the 2nd largest city, Casper.
WHY IS THERE NO TOYS R US IN WYOMING?

OH and KB TOYS PULLED OUT OF WYOMING, as well as many other states like North and South Dakodas and IDaho. BUT I GUESS THERE IS NO NATIONAL TOY STORE IN WYOMING.

storehistoryguy

This Is Toys "R" Us in Dixie Square Mall 1979 in the movie The Blues Brothers.

storehistoryguy

d_fife

Kids R Us Toys R Us!

this one is in cambridge mass. I mentioned in one of my posts.

truviking05

Somewhere in New Jersey, I believe...Paramus? And I think thesestores were known as something else (on the tip of mytongue grrr!) until about 1978, when the company was sold to Interstate Stores..or something to that effect ;)

d_fife

Somewhere in New Jersey, I believe...Paramus? And I think thesestores were known as something else (on the tip of mytongue grrr!) until about 1978, when the company was sold to Interstate Stores..or something to that effect ;)

DID those stores get renamed TOys r us??

When did the first store open as Toys R us? How many stores were open before 1978/

storehistoryguy

It was somebody's name toys. Like Jimmy's Toys, but that wasn't the name. I can't remember it.

DID those stores get renamed TOys r us??

When did the first store open as Toys R us? How many stores were open before 1978/

d_fife

I noticed that Toys r us had bee opening smaller stores later, for instance

In the 70s and 80s, a lot of their stoers were 40000-48000 square feet.

And ones that were opening in the 1990s, were like 30,000 square feet WHY?????

Caldor1999

I noticed that Toys r us had bee opening smaller stores later, for instance

In the 70s and 80s, a lot of their stoers were 40000-48000 square feet.

And ones that were opening in the 1990s, were like 30,000 square feet WHY?????

not true this Toys R Us/Kids World Opened in the mid 90's it on the Jersey Turn Pike near Newark NJ
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

the size of this stire is prittyy big  hears the Logo
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

truviking05

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Whats with this sign?

What do you mean?

And: A Kids' World store, if I remember correctly, is built to be bigger than usual. I always felt like I felt so little and lost in my old TRU, and in the new one I have always felt big. I used to attribute that to being a preschooler when the old one was open. But now I realize it's most likely because the new store is obviously smaller than the old one :(

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Whats with this sign?

What do you mean?

And: A Kids' World store, if I remember correctly, is built to be bigger than usual. I always felt like I felt so little and lost in my old TRU, and in the new one I have always felt big. I used to attribute that to being a preschooler when the old one was open. But now I realize it's most likely because the new store is obviously smaller than the old one :(

It sats Toys "R" Us and then Kids "R" Us underneath it.