Leave Shopko alone...for now.

Started by Zayre88, January 01, 2009, 02:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2009 Store closing poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Zayre88

The retail landscape is expected to see many closings and bankruptcies, according to the International Council of Shopping Centers. Nationally, the trade group expects retailers to close as many as 73,000 stores in the first half of 2009. With the economy, financial crisis, credit crunch, holiday sales down... retailers face bleak 2009... What store chain will close in 2009 ?

Vote above now!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/31/eveningnews/main4694659.shtml

C. Fontaine

shakethis1234

My money is on walmart going out of business in 2009

Zayre88

I posted a similar poll for 2006 and no stores in the list closed!  Maybe this time around one or more will.  Circuit City is certainly in the top 3.

It's easy to pin point those that are at risk, pick a category and there will be strong and weak players.  

Electronics: Tweeter is gone, Circuit City is in trouble, Best Buy should stay.
Bed/Bath: Linens'n Things collapsed, Bed, Bath & Beyond will get stronger.
Office supplies: Staples is stronger, Office Depot and Max have difficulties.

Ameskid

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
My money is on walmart going out of business in 2009

You're probably right. At my store there are rumors they will be laying off all part timers EXCEPT for the ones who work on the front end - cashiers, cart pushers, and greeters.

beachgal26

I'd probably have to say that Circuit City will be the next (or move to web only like Wards, etc.).  However, I really do hope that Office Depot does not close since we do not have Staples in our area an I really do like their prices, service, etc.  (Maybe I'm just lucky to have a good one in our area.)

I haven't seen much in the news about K-Mart or Sears and I would miss K-Mart (even though we have none in our area).  Our Sears is getting cheaper and junkier looking all the time, but I love their tools an appliances.

:holysh:

momof3

Walmart????That really surprises me, Marc I like your store, always seem busy when I have been there (usually at night around 8ish) Did they have a real bad holiday season or just hire too many people?????

momof3

I voted Pier One because I keep seeing them and Rite Aid on my AOL homepage as not being around in 2009.  I hope of all of them its not Kmart, I do like them.

Marc82

I don't know. It's just rumors I've heard. Anyway, my advice is to stay away from The Southington Walmart. During last Tuesday's windstorm we suffered a power-surge and 8 registers blew. So we only have 6 that are functioning properly and 2 that can only scan merchandise with the hand scan gun. We've primarily only had the 6 function registers going, but ocassionaly have the other 2 open. NCR the register company was in 4 days last week, but can't fix them right now. And they told Jessica Morales, one of the CSM's that's it's gonna cost $22,000 to fix.

momof3

Too bad about the Southington Walmart, I have always had a good shopping trip there.

AmesNewington

Wait, you're not serious about Wal Mart closing? I know there are many jokers out there, but that one should never be taken as a joke. If Wal Mart is in trouble, everyone is. I doubt Wal Mart is short on money for repairs to the Southington Wal Mart either.

momof3

I just couldn't imagine Walmart going under, I've never been to one that wasn't full of people.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I predict Circuit City will close all of their stores.

===================================

At least ShopKo updated their look and opened a few new ShopKo stores and ShopKo Expess pharmacies. They still have a fighting chance against the big guys and a majority of their ShopKo locations are in Wisconsin. At least ShopKo is doing the right thing for a change after closing a few locations in Indiana, Missouri, and Nevada, then focusing on strengthening their existing customer base in 13 states, including one store in Redding, California. ShopKo built their first upscale prototype store in Suamico, Wisconsin. More locations followed, including Sussex, Wisconsin, North Branch, Minnesota, and Coucil Bluffs, Iowa.

Zayre88

Well, that was short...  Those who picked Circuit City, pick another store if you want to. :yup:

videogamer75

According to this article, Talbots has already gone out of business and closed all their stores since before Christmas. You can put an ''X'' over that stores logo in the picture as well.

http://1stnews.org/245/talbots-closing-all-stores/

@ everyone:

Why is Shopko on the list? Shopko will not close anytime soon. They opened up several new prototypes in Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Idaho. As you can see, Shopko is too busy strengthening their empire and brand with new stores featuring a new look, which was given to them by Chute Gerdeman Retail.

@ Zayre88:

Please update the Shopko logo next time.

New logo:

I also suggest you leave Shopko out of this because they have been more successful in recent years, plus I'm part of their loyalty program in which they had me apply for membership card, so that I can save money on my purchases at Shopko. Shopko does not need to be mentioned here until they expand into New England sometime in 2020!

videogamer75

How do you know that they are coming to New England in 2020? Did they announce it? That's pretty cool I guess, but quite a long wait (if it's true).

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
How do you know that they are coming to New England in 2020? Did they announce it? That's pretty cool I guess, but quite a long wait (if it's true).  
It is just my prediction. It might happen even earlier. Nothing's been announced yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

wwefan101

wwefan101

and ethan allen in aburn  closed  down years ago

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by wwefan101
what is shop ko  

It's a supermarket, I believe...out of Wisconsin.

My offhand predictions for the next to go would probably be Office Depot, as they've closed a good number of stores as of late, haven't they? Or am I confusing them with someone else?

Re: Talbots being completely closed, as mentioned earlier in the thread...I don't know about anywhere else, but our Talbots location here in Bangor is still open, so maybe they just didn't get the memo? :P As far as I know, the chain is still open.

Mervyns

what is shop ko  

a discount store in the Midwest

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns
what is shop ko  

Whoops...don't know why I thought it was a supermarket! :P

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra
QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns
what is shop ko  

Whoops...don't know why I thought it was a supermarket! :P
Maybe the reason why you thought it was a supermarket, was because they were once owned by SuperValu, who also owned Shaw's in New England. You can read more on the history of ShopKo at my blog, BlogKo.