Main Menu

Meijer

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 11, 2016, 10:28:06 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on November 11, 2016, 10:15:07 PM
ohh and did you read the openings list?
The Green Bay (Howard), Wisconsin location opens next year. The construction of the building's exterior is almost finished. The interior construction will be next.

opening date? And for Cleveland and minneapolis? why so long for Cleveland when it was in the rest of the state years ago. of where thy first opened i n ohio in newark why didnt they relocate to Heath?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on November 12, 2016, 08:52:42 AM
http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2016/11/austintown-oks-plans-for-meijer/ ok it says it opens in 2021.
It took them until 1990/91 to get a Wal-Mart in Green Bay.

It took until 1991 for Washington state to get their first ShopKo store.

I'm guessing that that's the way retailing goes. If they expand too fast (like in Target Canada's case), they could fail miserably.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 12, 2016, 11:40:46 AM
http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2016/11/austintown-oks-plans-for-meijer/ ok it says it opens in 2021.

I'm guessing that that's the way retailing goes. If they expand too fast (like in Target Canada's case), they could fail miserably.

I guess Target in Canada is an example you always use. I thought Meijer said 2019 before, 2021 is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY to far off. 

and thats prob why Minneapolis is down the Road. is Cleveland in 2018 or 2019? What of Madison and LA Crosse?

Quote from: danfifepsu on November 12, 2016, 03:25:45 PM

I guess Target in Canada is an example you always use. I thought Meijer said 2019 before, 2021 is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY to far off. 

and thats prob why Minneapolis is down the Road. is Cleveland in 2018 or 2019? What of Madison and LA Crosse?

Meijer will open a store in Janesville, a city located south of Madison, Wisconssin

Two other Wisconsin locations include LaCrosse and Eau Claire.

The Howard, Wisconsin (Green Bay) Meijer store will open next year. The other ones I mentioned will possibly open between 2017 and 2020.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 13, 2016, 12:11:51 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on November 12, 2016, 03:25:45 PM

Meijer will open a store in Janesville, a city located south of Madison, Wisconssin

Two other Wisconsin locations include LaCrosse and Eau Claire.

The Howard, Wisconsin (Green Bay) Meijer store will open next year. The other ones I mentioned will possibly open between 2017 and 2020.

I still think thats a typo of when youngstown opens its probably 2019 it should be and it said 2019 in an article months before. Mentor opens in 2019. are the first Cleveland / Akron stores in 2018? Minneapolis is down the road still. will they reach the Dakotas and Duluth?

The Meijer store near my apartment here in Packerland will open next year. Exterior of building and parking lot are finished. The store's interior is next.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 04, 2016, 01:17:33 PM
The Meijer store near my apartment here in Packerland will open next year. Exterior of building and parking lot are finished. The store's interior is next.

I will go there next summer. I went to the Cabelas there in 2015 and first went to Green Bay in 2009 where I saw many Shopkos. one Kmart I went to ther was c losing then. Your excited of that Meijer. But surprised of Peoria's like that article above says? whats next thy want to build in? They want to put one in Effingham.  they also want to name a CEO outside the family, will that hurt the company?

Quote from: danfifepsu on December 04, 2016, 06:31:47 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 04, 2016, 01:17:33 PM

I will go there next summer. I went to the Cabelas there in 2015 and first went to Green Bay in 2009 where I saw many Shopkos. one Kmart I went to ther was c losing then. Your excited of that Meijer. But surprised of Peoria's like that article above says? whats next thy want to build in? They want to put one in Effingham.  they also want to name a CEO outside the family, will that hurt the company?
Lots of companies have hired people outside of their respective families. Outside of Shopko founder James Ruben, other people worked to make Shopko a great place to shop. I'm pretty sure it'll be like that with Meijer knowing how far they've come.

danfifepsu

will Meijer reach the Dakotas? As they have Minneapolos for plans BUT down the road.

danfifepsu

http://fox 8.com/2016/12/14/meij er-stores-planned-for-n ortheast-ohio/  for MEijer in Northeast Ohio, why so long for Cleveland as its in 2019 and they were in teh rest of OHio way way way way way before that. http://www.wkyc.com/life/food/meijer-considers-northeast-ohio-expansion-plans/369759889   and Mineappolis is DOWN THE ROAD.

danfifepsu

an article in October still confirms Brooklyn Park Minnesota purchase and it seems the purchase properties years in advance. They said they want to STart with Cleveland FIRST BEFORE Minneapolis, does that make sense? Will they enter Duluth? I noticed many places enter Duluth later

The Meijer store in Green Bay, Wisconsin (picture from November 28, 2016).

busman_49

For those who are still following, it looks like the Wooster, Ohio, Meijer is a no-go:

Daily Record article text:
QuoteWOOSTER -- Members of the Wooster City Council rejected Meijer's request to rezone land along Milltown Road that would have allowed the grocer-retailer to build a new store.

Council voted the rezoning request down by a 6-0 count. Only Barbara Knapic, Ward 2, and Jon Ulbright, at-large, addressed the issue after about a half dozen comments from the public. The last-ditch pitch from Meijer's officials was unsuccessful.

Reporter Steven F. Huszai will have more about this developing story in Tuesday's edition of The Daily Record.

article link

The developing story, like much of the other stuff in the paper, is paywalled :P

danfifepsu

Quote from: busman_49 on February 07, 2017, 08:27:16 AM
For those who are still following, it looks like the Wooster, Ohio, Meijer is a no-go:

Daily Record article text:
QuoteWOOSTER -- Members of the Wooster City Council rejected Meijer's request to rezone land along Milltown Road that would have allowed the grocer-retailer to build a new store.

Council voted the rezoning request down by a 6-0 count. Only Barbara Knapic, Ward 2, and Jon Ulbright, at-large, addressed the issue after about a half dozen comments from the public. The last-ditch pitch from Meijer's officials was unsuccessful.

Reporter Steven F. Huszai will have more about this developing story in Tuesday's edition of The Daily Record.

article link

The developing story, like much of the other stuff in the paper, is paywalled :P

why and as Kmart will shut down at some pt, what of that taking its place. WHAT IS GOING ON.

busman_49

As near as I was able to figure out, the residents of Wooster don't want it.  At least not where they're intending to put it.  That area of town is so build up that the citizens feel adding another big box will create more traffic and havoc up there.  Some of the previously quiet back roads will need to be widened/improved, as they will need to handle more traffic.

retailisking

Michigan's Upper Peninsula and the Green Bay, WI region will soon have their first Meijers
http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2017/03/02/meijer-375-million-project/

TheFugitive

Meijer.  It isn't just for trolls anymore.

(if you've never lived in Michigan you probably don't get that)

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 03, 2017, 12:01:10 PM
Meijer.  It isn't just for trolls anymore.

(if you've never lived in Michigan you probably don't get that)
I get it. :)

Meijer opens May 16 in Howard

Jeff Bollier , USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin (Green Bay Press-Gazette)
Published 5:31 p.m. CT April 6, 2017 | Updated 3 hours ago

QuoteHOWARD - The wait is over.

Meijer will open its supercenter on Shawano Avenue on May 16, when the Michigan-based retailer's executives and local dignitaries will hold a ribbon cutting for the 219,000-square-foot store.

The company said other grand opening events and promotions will begin May 18.

In less than two years, Meijer has opened six stores in Wisconsin. A location in Greenfield will open April 25 and a store in West Bend will open the same day as the Howard location.

The company had an option to buy land south of the Costco store in Bellevue, but that contract expired at the end of 2016. A company spokesman has said Meijer remains interested in the Bellevue area.

Meijer is still hiring hourly employees for the store. Applicants can begin the process by visiting the company's jobs website.

I went shopping at Meijer today. It's a great store, and it's only a few blocks away from my apartment.

The wait is over: Meijer store in Howard now open

Jeff Bollier , USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin Published 10:07 a.m. CT May 16, 2017 | Updated 5 hours ago

QuoteHOWARD - Audrey Nowak found herself standing inside a little bit of home Tuesday morning.

Nowak, director of the Bay Port Orchestra and a Grand Rapids, Michigan native, helped her hometown retailer, Meijer, open its newest store, at 2015 Shawano Ave. Nowak said she remembered shopping â€" or at least cooling off on hot summer days â€" inside Meijer's first superstore, the Thrifty Acres in Grand Rapids.

"All of it means so much. It was the definition of my childhood," Nowak said. "This is 45 years later and I'm conducting an orchestra in front of the Thrifty Acres Meijer guy (logo). I was really excited for a piece of home to come to Howard. It's a thrill to see it here."

Planning for the 192,000-square-foot store began almost two years ago. It delivers an anchor store around which Howard can build, Village President Burt McIntyre said.

Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt noted the store has added 280 jobs to the region.

Meijer marked the opening with a $25,000 donation to the Northeast Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Alliance as well as smaller contributions to Howard Elementary School for technology upgrades, and the Boys and Girls Club of Green Bay.

The store combines general merchandise, grocery, pharmacy, bakery and garden supplies under one roof. In addition, the store also includes a Starbucks cafe and Great Clips hair salon. The company has scheduled a series of events such a community picnic May 20, an appearance by Green Bay Packers Coach Mike McCarthy May 24 and an ice cream social on June 2.

Meijer also opened a location in West Bend on Tuesday. The company now has eight stores in Wisconsin and 230 locations across a six-state area.

Meijer Inc. Chairman Hank Meijer said the company will continue to develop locations throughout northeastern Wisconsin, including another store in the  Green Bay area.

"This store is emblematic of the best store we know how to build. It's the standard we set for ourselves," Meijer said. "We will continue to actively look for another location in the Green Bay area and beyond in Wisconsin. We've found our greatest successes in small- and mid-sized markets like Green Bay, Appleton, Fond du Lac and Sheboygan. They're all places we can open a store and make a difference in peoples' lives."

Here's the map of store #298, Howard (Green Bay), Wisconsin:

danfifepsu

St Saulte Marie and Escabana are NOW OPEN! NEW TERRITORY! Clevelands first is in 2019, but whens Minnesotta, 2020? Minnnesotta is sitll down the road.

I'm guessing competition from Meijer is why Shopko is in such a vulnerable position right now with only 300+ stores (over 200 of those stores are Shopko Hometown stores, and four are Shopko Express Pharmacies, while over 100 are regular Shopko stores). Ever since Meijer opened new stores in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, people started shopping at Meijer a little more.

I saw the comments in a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel newspaper article online, where one person "loved" Meijer and called Shopko "worthless."

danfifepsu

anything of Meijer in Minneapolis?

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on June 20, 2017, 06:02:03 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on June 20, 2017, 03:25:02 PM
anything of Meijer in Minneapolis?
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2016/03/meijer_buys_property_in_upscal.html

nothings been said this year, or is it Cleveland next after the UP Michigan then Minesotta after cleveland. They open in Cleveland area in 2019.