Quote from: busman_49 on May 26, 2016, 12:35:39 PM
My-er.  The j is silent.
That's similar to what I said.

busman_49

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 26, 2016, 12:58:28 PM
Quote from: busman_49 on May 26, 2016, 12:35:39 PM
My-er.  The j is silent.
That's similar to what I said.

Oops, somehow I missed that.  Must've forgotten to "turn the page."  Sorry...

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I have less than 12 months to go when Green Bay's Meijer store has a soft opening. The digging machines just broke ground at the field over by the roundabout on the corner of Taylor Street and Shawano Avenue two months ago. I'm so excited! Summer 2017 is the projected opening date of the Green Bay, Wisconsin Meijer store.

danfifepsu

what will happen w the one Minneappolis ST Paul expansion plan as they pulled Lake Elmo from the list of possible sites. I read.

Quote from: danfifepsu on July 18, 2016, 10:47:04 AM
what will happen w the one Minneappolis ST Paul expansion plan as they pulled Lake Elmo from the list of possible sites. I read.

Meijer grocery chain drops plans for a Lake Elmo superstore
Superstore chain was exploring locations for four Twin Cities operations.

By John Ewoldt, Star Tribune
July 12, 2016 â€" 8:34am

QuoteScratch Lake Elmo from the list of possible locations that Meijer, the Michigan-based superstore chain, was considering in an expansion into Minnesota.

The Lake Elmo Planning Commission recently rejected Meijer’s application to build a 193,000-square-foot store after several area residents complained about its size and location.

“Meijer pulled their application before it could go to the City Council,” said Kristina Handt, Lake Elmo city administrator.

The megastore, which would have been more than twice the size of new Hy-Vee grocery stores, was to be built at the northeast corner of Keats Avenue N. and Hudson Boulevard. In addition to the main store, the location would also have included a gas station, a large parking lot and space for additional small businesses.

At one point, Meijer was considering up to four locations in the metro area, including Brooklyn Park, to open in four or five years.

Meijer has more than 220 stores in Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and Wisconsin. The company currently has four stores in eastern Wisconsin, will open a fifth soon and plans to add 11 more by 2019.

Supermarket analyst David Livingston said that the expansion plans for Minnesota may be pulled back as the company evaluates reasons for its underperforming stores. “You can’t continue to build new stores when the existing ones in Wisconsin are underperforming,” he said.

danfifepsu

does this mean Meijer will drop coming to Minneapolis all together?

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 31, 2016, 03:35:57 PM

QuoteScratch Lake Elmo from the list of possible locations that Meijer, the Michigan-based superstore chain, was considering in an expansion into Minnesota.

The Lake Elmo Planning Commission recently rejected Meijer’s application to build a 193,000-square-foot store after several area residents complained about its size and location.

“Meijer pulled their application before it could go to the City Council,” said Kristina Handt, Lake Elmo city administrator.

The megastore, which would have been more than twice the size of new Hy-Vee grocery stores, was to be built at the northeast corner of Keats Avenue N. and Hudson Boulevard. In addition to the main store, the location would also have included a gas station, a large parking lot and space for additional small businesses.

At one point, Meijer was considering up to four locations in the metro area, including Brooklyn Park, to open in four or five years.

Meijer has more than 220 stores in Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and Wisconsin. The company currently has four stores in eastern Wisconsin, will open a fifth soon and plans to add 11 more by 2019.

Supermarket analyst David Livingston said that the expansion plans for Minnesota may be pulled back as the company evaluates reasons for its underperforming stores. “You can’t continue to build new stores when the existing ones in Wisconsin are underperforming,” he said.

Quote from: danfifepsu on July 31, 2016, 06:56:29 PM

It does not mean they will abandon plans for any stores in Minnesota. The Lake Elmo store was cut from those plans because of some "KEEP IT OUT OF OUR NEIGHBORHOOD!" type protest.

The Green Bay, Wisconsin store is currently under construction, and will open next summer.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 31, 2016, 11:49:00 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on July 31, 2016, 06:56:29 PM

It does not mean they will abandon plans for any stores in Minnesota. The Lake Elmo store was cut from those plans because of some "KEEP IT OUT OF OUR NEIGHBORHOOD!" type protest.

The Green Bay, Wisconsin store is currently under construction, and will open next summer.

OH GOOD! and when will they open? how are they doing in Wisconsin. some towns do protest against big box retailers.

I also asked as I heard in 1995 they pulled plans of Cleveland but have resumed that.

How is Meijer doing well when the internet is outdoing the brick and motor stores?

busman_49

Meijer is looking again at Wooster, Ohio.  They were going to open a store there in 2001 but changed their minds.  According to a headline I caught in Wooster's Daily Record, there's a public hearing tonight on the matter.  Unfortunately, the rest of the article is behind a paywall, so I really have nothing else to bring to the table on that.

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 01, 2016, 08:58:01 AM

OH GOOD! and when will they open? how are they doing in Wisconsin. some towns do protest against big box retailers.

I also asked as I heard in 1995 they pulled plans of Cleveland but have resumed that.

How is Meijer doing well when the internet is outdoing the brick and motor stores?

I heard big-box superstore retailers like Meijer, Walmart, and SuperTarget are doing fine in an era when e-commerce is giving big-box retailers some serious competition. I think it's because the stores sell both groceries and general merchandise, and the stores make those items accessible to everyone (including those people like me, who do not know how to shop online). Shopping on Amazon may be convenient for some people, but I like to see what I'm purchasing up close, and then pay for it with cash when I reach the check-out.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 01, 2016, 04:03:46 PM

I heard big-box superstore retailers like Meijer, Walmart, and SuperTarget are doing fine in an era when e-commerce is giving big-box retailers some serious competition. I think it's because the stores sell both groceries and general merchandise, and the stores make those items accessible to everyone (including those people like me, who do not know how to shop online). Shopping on Amazon may be convenient for some people, but I like to see what I'm purchasing up close, and then pay for it with cash when I reach the check-out.
Meijer is doing bettter than them. I still think Meijer is expanding more as Kmart is on its way out. Kmart tried that combo and it never worked, thats a whole nother thing to talk about in Kmart thread.

will MEijer expand to western Pennsylvania and West Virginia? or is it just the first half of the midwest?

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 01, 2016, 09:06:03 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 01, 2016, 04:03:46 PM

Meijer is doing bettter than them. I still think Meijer is expanding more as Kmart is on its way out. Kmart tried that combo and it never worked, thats a whole nother thing to talk about in Kmart thread.

will MEijer expand to western Pennsylvania and West Virginia? or is it just the first half of the midwest?
I think Meijer is just focusing on the Midwest.

Shopko put their plans to open big-box locations on pause indefinitely for the last 15 years (due to competition from Walmart, Target and Meijer) to focus on opening Shopko Hometown stores in smaller communities. They merged with Pamida in 2012 and converted the Pamida stores to Shopko Hometown. Three years later, when ALCO filed for bankruptcy, it gave Shopko an opportunity to buy up 20 former ALCO locations, and convert them into Shopko Hometown locations. They even opened up locations as far south as Texas! We'll discuss more about Shopko in the Shopko category.

busman_49

Quote from: busman_49 on August 01, 2016, 01:35:24 PM
Meijer is looking again at Wooster, Ohio.  They were going to open a store there in 2001 but changed their minds.  According to a headline I caught in Wooster's Daily Record, there's a public hearing tonight on the matter.  Unfortunately, the rest of the article is behind a paywall, so I really have nothing else to bring to the table on that.

So far, the planning commission is saying no.

First article:
Meijer wants to move to Wooster
Public hearing tonight to discuss plans the company submitted to the city
By STEVEN F. HUSZAI Staff Writer Published: August 1, 2016 4:00 AM
WOOSTER -- A public hearing tonight, Aug. 1, will be the first look at plans for Meijer to locate a grocery store at the city's north end.
Meijer has applied to the Planning Commission for a zoning request to re-zone 33 acres of undeveloped land on West Milltown Road into a C-5 general commercial district. Currently, the two parcels east of Oak Hill Road are zoned for C-1 commercial development, the least intensive commercial zoning category.
The tentative plans would be for Meijer to build a grocery store, gas station and out lots for other commercial establishments along the street front. The grocery chain is based in Walker, Mich., and boasts more than 220 stores throughout the Midwest.
"The proposed Meijer development would serve the public as an expansion to the city of Wooster's growing retail shopping outlets as well as provide opportunities for other retail//restaurants on out lots fronting Milltown Road," reads a letter from project manager Lanie Wess to the city in the zoning amendment application.
"They have tentative plans," said Mayor Bob Breneman, of Meijer's proposal. "Whether they've looked at other properties, I don't know that."

And the results of the planning commission's meeting:
Planners deny Meijer with tie
By STEVEN F. HUSZAI Staff Writer Published: August 2, 2016 4:00 AM
WOOSTER -- The introduction of Meijer grocery stores to Wooster resulted in a cleanup on the Milltown Road aisle as the Planning Commission could not muster enough votes to move forward Monday night.
The commission ended in a tied vote (3-3) on a zoning amendment to change the commercial zoning of 33 acres of vacant land on Milltown Road (east of Oak Hill Road) from C-1 commercial to a C-5 general commercial area.
The body needs a majority of its members to vote one way or another (five of nine total commissioners) to either accept or deny the application. The commission's vote is ultimately a mere recommendation sent to City Council, which has the final decision on whether or not to change the zoning.
But the Planning Commission is now on the clock to make a recommendation to council. It has 60 days from the public hearing held Monday to make a recommendation one way or another, otherwise the default recommendation sent forward is a denial of the request.
Cris Jones, of Meijer, and Lanie Wess the project manager, noted the tentative plans for this site would be to install the appropriate buffers, create a detention basin, and maintain a wetlands area identified at the southwestern portion of the parcel. They noted that across the street the Lowe's property is similarly zoned as a C-5 parcel.

"We're analyzing the site right now," Wess said. "But we're into making sure it fits in the area and really siting it to make everybody comfortable."
Several residents in the nearby area took turns questioning the site for the proposed Meijer store, a gas station and outlots. Concerns ranged from increased traffic to public infrastructure and even to drug-dealing in the area.
"One of my public concerns is... are we going to have people going from the high school to the parking lot to make a drug deal on their lunch hour?" asked Larry Shirer, 3363 Oak Hill Road.
Todd Jasin, executive director of the Wayne//Holmes County United Way, and who lives within one mile of the site said he did not want to see Wooster lose its quality of life, as Wadsworth did when it became over-commercialized.

"At the end of the day Wooster is a rural community," Jasin said, also noting he used to live in Wadsworth. "Wadsworth has done everything we should not do. The amount of expansion... has ruined the quality of life there."

Matt Long, a local attorney representing the Hunt Club subdivision to the northwest of the proposed site, said residents there questioned the timing of the proposal and the intensity of the change.
And Paul Williams, representing the Wooster Area Chamber of Commerce, told Meijer representatives that this parcel "isn't really suitable" for this development. But he added that the chamber is open to helping them find a better location.
But some people were in favor of Meijer coming to town.
"I want Meijer because the prices in Wooster are ridiculous," said Jeanette Robison, 1525 Smith Drive. The traffic issue, she said, wasn't a fair concern as Robison said the traffic is "ridiculous all over Wooster."

"You see how sensitive this is," Gil Ning, a member of the commission, told Meijer representatives as they move forward. "You have to keep in mind what they told you."

An update on the construction of the Meijer store in Green Bay, Wisconsin as of August 5th: the back wall of the store is being constructed.

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 10, 2016, 01:21:27 PM
possible site? http://kwqc.com/2016/08/10/rock-island-kmart-property-to-be-developed/
Of course, they'd have to tear down the former Kmart store first.

Most Kmarts are too small a space for a Meijer. If it were a Super K, then they would renovate building.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 10, 2016, 08:14:21 PM
possible site? http://kwqc.com/2016/08/10/rock-island-kmart-property-to-be-developed/

Most Kmarts are too small a space for a Meijer. If it were a Super K, then they would renovate building.

what the can do is expand more in the land. would Meijer open there?

Quote from: danfifepsu on August 11, 2016, 01:17:05 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 10, 2016, 08:14:21 PM

what the can do is expand more in the land. would Meijer open there?
Only if they buy up more land, can they expand.

Update concerning Green Bay, Wisconsin's first Meijer location.

The concrete walls are up...
The Meijer sign is being installed...
Store will open summer 2017.

(Historically, it was Appleton that gets some of the trendiest retailers first, since they were halfway between both Green Bay and Oshkosh. The first Target store in Northeast Wisconsin opened in the Appleton Suburb of Grand Chute, Wisconsin at Fox River Mall in 1985, one year after the mall itself opened. A few decades later, Green Bay, Wisconsin, home of the Green Bay Packers football team, got the first Ross Dress For Less store in Northeast Wisconsin in 2016.)

Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 23, 2016, 06:04:58 PM
Update concerning Green Bay, Wisconsin's first Meijer location.

The concrete walls are up...
The Meijer sign is being installed...
Store will open summer 2017.

(Historically, it was Appleton that gets some of the trendiest retailers first, since they were halfway between both Green Bay and Oshkosh. The first Target store in Northeast Wisconsin opened in the Appleton Suburb of Grand Chute, Wisconsin at Fox River Mall in 1985, one year after the mall itself opened. A few decades later, Green Bay, Wisconsin, home of the Green Bay Packers football team, got the first Ross Dress For Less store in Northeast Wisconsin in 2016.)

I found out that the store will actually open ahead of schedule in March 2017.

danfifepsu

new MEijer alert: in Effingham: http://www.effinghamdailynews.com/news/local_news/city-reveals-meijer-coming-to-effingham/article_8169e21f-4020-54ab-be2a-0f1ab299d7fb.html and probably will open in 2019. Why not Peoria and Rock island soon? OK, guess what that may mean for Kmart there (if that store or the chain is still there then).

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 30, 2016, 02:35:37 PM
http://www.sooeveningnews.com/news/20161028/meijer-commits-to-spring-opening
Sault Sainte Marie is going to benefit from this Meijer opening since people from the Michigan and Ontario sides of Sault Sainte Marie will shop there on a daily basis (Meijer will be on the Michigan side).

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on October 31, 2016, 09:03:45 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on October 30, 2016, 02:35:37 PM
http://www.sooeveningnews.com/news/20161028/meijer-commits-to-spring-opening
Sault Sainte Marie is going to benefit from this Meijer opening since people from the Michigan and Ontario sides of Sault Sainte Marie will shop there on a daily basis (Meijer will be on the Michigan side).

yup as its a big thing of this chain, and Kmart is currently closing (why is it?/ and it will prob be busy . why so long for upper michigan and what of a movie theater?

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 31, 2016, 10:50:29 PM
what of a movie theater?

I don't know what you are talking about.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 01, 2016, 02:27:57 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on October 31, 2016, 10:50:29 PM
what of a movie theater?

I don't know what you are talking about.

I am whats making Kmart in st saulte marie closing when Meijer hasnt opened yet? and why did it take Meijer so long for upper Michigan and what of ST Saulte Marie having a movie theater.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 11, 2016, 10:13:24 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on November 11, 2016, 09:50:27 AM
st saulte marie
Sault Ste. Marie/Sault Sainte Marie

ohh and did you read the openings list?  Green Bay, more in Wisconsin, 2 near Indianapolis (they are overloaded in that area, no wonder why there is only 2 or 3 Kmats left around there), and Escabana MI. Whats 2018???

its like Minneapolis is still down the Road. and what of Cleveland, I feel thats overdue.

Quote from: danfifepsu on November 11, 2016, 10:15:07 PM
ohh and did you read the openings list?
The Green Bay (Howard), Wisconsin location opens next year. The construction of the building's exterior is almost finished. The interior construction will be next.