Main Menu

Meijer

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
were is this chain located never heard of them because i live in new england

Based in Michigan, their stores are in mostly in the midwest. The closest ones to me are in Ohio and Kentucky.
Unfortunately, they don't have any here in Wisconsin (ShopKo country), I would've loved to shop there, maybe they don't want to do a westward expansion, yet, for fear that ShopKo might run them into the ground.

retailisking

In 1962 he invented the supercenter format later copied by Wal-Mart.  His regional chain has continued to thrive despite the dominance of WMT, one of only a handful to do so.
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/11/west_michigan_grocery_magnate.html
http://www.freep.com/article/20111127/NEWS06/111270476/Fred-Meijer-Retail-giant-philanthropist-leaves-lasting-legacy-Michigan?odyssey=mod

retailisking

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120616/BIZ/206160324/1001/rss21

As a side note, my most recent Ocean State Job Lot order was put into Meijer bags!

Meijer plans to expand into Wisconsin in 2014!

QuoteMeijer details $160M plan
Written by  Joe Boomgaard, MiBiz

Walker-based retailing giant Meijer Inc. says it plans to build six new supercenter stores and remodel five others this year. The plan is part of a $160 million investment project the company announced in mid-February. In Michigan, Meijer plans to build new stores in Swartz Creek and Detroit and renovate stores in Lansing, Flint, Taylor and the Knapp’s Corner location in Grand Rapids, which will test elements of the company’s new flagship design concept. Elsewhere, new stores are also planned for Portage, Ind., Warsaw, Ind., Danville, Ill. and Evergreen Park, Ill. The company also plans to renovate a store in Springfield, Ill. Each new store results in the creation of at least 250 new full-time or part-time jobs, according to Meijer. The retailer has opened 29 new stores since 2007.Not included in the announcement, however, are plans for the retailer to expand into Wisconsin. Meijer continues to pursue new stores in Grafton, Oak Creek, Sussex and Wauwatosa, although it dropped a plan to build a new store in Franklin, according to reports in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. The company also plans to open a new distribution center in Pleasant Prairie, Wis. by the end of 2014. Meijer purchased the facility from Supervalu Inc. and said it would upgrade the site to serve its planned new stores in southeastern Wisconsin, according to reports. The retailer also continues to be mum on plans it filed with the City of Walker to renovate its corporate headquarters, a story MiBiz first reported in October 2012 - See more at: http://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/20429-meijer-details-#sthash.0etyOJKl.dpuf

Meijer locations opening in 2014:

Michigan:
Swartz Creek
Detroit

Indiana:
Portage
Warsaw

Illinois:
Danville
Evergreen Park

*Wisconsin:
Grafton
Oak Creek
Sussex
Wauwatosa
Pleasant Prairie (new distribution center)

*New market for Meijer, plans to have the Wisconsin stores open by 2014.

d_fife

portage is already open. I was there a month ago.
Quote from: ShopKoFan on August 01, 2013, 07:22:23 PM
Meijer plans to expand into Wisconsin in 2014!

QuoteMeijer details $160M plan
Written by  Joe Boomgaard, MiBiz

Walker-based retailing giant Meijer Inc. says it plans to build six new supercenter stores and remodel five others this year. The plan is part of a $160 million investment project the company announced in mid-February. In Michigan, Meijer plans to build new stores in Swartz Creek and Detroit and renovate stores in Lansing, Flint, Taylor and the Knapp’s Corner location in Grand Rapids, which will test elements of the company’s new flagship design concept. Elsewhere, new stores are also planned for Portage, Ind., Warsaw, Ind., Danville, Ill. and Evergreen Park, Ill. The company also plans to renovate a store in Springfield, Ill. Each new store results in the creation of at least 250 new full-time or part-time jobs, according to Meijer. The retailer has opened 29 new stores since 2007.Not included in the announcement, however, are plans for the retailer to expand into Wisconsin. Meijer continues to pursue new stores in Grafton, Oak Creek, Sussex and Wauwatosa, although it dropped a plan to build a new store in Franklin, according to reports in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. The company also plans to open a new distribution center in Pleasant Prairie, Wis. by the end of 2014. Meijer purchased the facility from Supervalu Inc. and said it would upgrade the site to serve its planned new stores in southeastern Wisconsin, according to reports. The retailer also continues to be mum on plans it filed with the City of Walker to renovate its corporate headquarters, a story MiBiz first reported in October 2012 - See more at: http://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/20429-meijer-details-#sthash.0etyOJKl.dpuf

Michigan:
Swartz Creek
Detroit

Indiana:
Portage
Warsaw

Illinois:
Danville
Evergreen Park

*Wisconsin:
Grafton
Oak Creek
Sussex
Wauwatosa
Pleasant Prairie (new distribution center)

*New market for Meijer, plans to have the Wisconsin stores open by 2014.

Quote from: d_fife on August 01, 2013, 08:32:29 PM
portage is already open. I was there a month ago.

Maybe they're talking about a second location for Portage.

TheFugitive

Interesting that they are expanding into Wisconsin.
My wife grew up in Michigan and Meijers was her favorite store.
The Michigan Meijers stores are unionized, and union members in that
state have always been very loyal to them.

They were going to expand into Cleveland a few years ago, but then
suddenly scrubbed those plans.  My wife keeps hoping they'll expand westward
so that we'll have them here in Pittsburgh someday.

Hudsons81

Michigan:
Detroit

There's already one that opened exactly one year ago today at 8 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue-perhaps the one mentioned is the one at Grand River Avenue and McNichols Road on the Redford High School site?

Quote from: Hudsons81 on July 25, 2014, 04:56:05 PM

Michigan:
Detroit

There's already one that opened exactly one year ago today at 8 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue-perhaps the one mentioned is the one at Grand River Avenue and McNichols Road on the Redford High School site?
They might be opening a second location in Detroit.

Quote from: XDeSuEhTX on January 25, 2009, 11:03:48 PM
The side of a Meijer. Shouldn't that end with a question mark?

In this case, it makes it sound more like like a rhetorical question. Why ask!

Hudsons81

Here's a look at Meijer store #123 in Southgate, Michigan, which turns 20 this year (it opened in 1994). Both taken today.

Quote from: XDeSuEhTX on January 25, 2009, 11:03:48 PM
The side of a Meijer. Shouldn't that end with a question mark?

Store #123 actually had that sign for a while, but it was removed several years ago.

ynkeesfn82

Are they copying Walmart? I'm almost positive the Walmart I worked at in Bristol, CT for 7 weeks last Christmas had a sign on it that said Why Pay More. Plus the picture of the interior where they show regular floors and fake wooden floors are like Walmart too.

TheFugitive

If somebody blindfolded you and dropped you into the middle of a Meijers and then a
Super Walmart, you'd have a hard time telling one from the other.

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 13, 2014, 07:42:04 AM
If somebody blindfolded you and dropped you into the middle of a Meijers and then a
Meijer is the Big King to Walmart's Big Mac. Both look almost the same, but both have subtle differences.

TheFugitive

Best thing about Meijers is the electric horse that your kid can ride for a penny.
Was pleasantly surprised to see they still have them.  I used to keep my young
daughter thoroughly entertained for eight or nine cents.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 13, 2014, 07:42:04 AM

Things only get more intriguing when you find out that Meijer actually opened it's first supercenter in 1962-predating the very first Walmart Supercenter by 26 years!!

Quote from: Marc B on August 12, 2014, 06:22:06 PM
Are they copying Walmart? I'm almost positive the Walmart I worked at in Bristol, CT for 7 weeks last Christmas had a sign on it that said Why Pay More. Plus the picture of the interior where they show regular floors and fake wooden floors are like Walmart too.
I'm pretty sure the sign said "SATISFACTION GUARANTEED" or "WE SELL FOR LESS!".

Meijer uses a different layout than Walmart, and if you look at the ceiling in the picture, you'll notice that the light fixtures are different.

Hudsons81

More interior photos of the now 20-year-old Southgate, MI store. These were all taken today.

Hudsons81

An unused Meijer gift card I forgot I even had.

Hudsons81

Meijer is now officially expanding into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/article/20140926/News/140929261

d_fife

Quote from: Hudsons81 on September 27, 2014, 02:50:23 PM

where else in the upper P will Meijer expand?

whatll happen to Kmart in St Saulte Marie?

Where else will MEijer expand, Cleveland? St Louis area, DAvenport area, PEoria? Maybe they can take some of the KMARTS and turn them into Meijers. Kmart is just not relevant anymore.

Hudsons81

Quote from: d_fife on September 28, 2014, 02:01:59 PM

Where else will MEijer expand, Cleveland? St Louis area, DAvenport area, PEoria? Maybe they can take some of the KMARTS and turn them into Meijers. Kmart is just not relevant anymore.

1. Right now, Sault Sainte Marie is the only confirmed UP store.
2. It's possible the Kmart in Sault Sainte Marie could shut down eventually after Meijer opens.
3. Multiple answers:

• Meijer actually did plan on expanding into Cleveland a few years ago, but later scrapped those plans. Right now, the closest Meijer is in Sandusky, Ohio, a 1994 from-scratch build.
  • Meijer hasn't announced an expansion into Saint Louis yet. The closest store is in Springfield, Illinois.
  • Meijer hasn't announced an expansion into Davenport yet either. The closest store is in Aurora, Illinois, a satellite city of Chicago.
  • Meijer hasn't announced an expansion into Peoria yet either. The closest store is in Normal, Illinois, a 1995 from-scratch build which I believe was the first Meijer in Illinois. Plus, Shopko pulled out of the Peoria market due to poor sales, so I don't know how Meijer will be able to survive there.

d_fife

well Kmart is closing one in PEoria. why do oyu think Kmart could shut down in Sault Sainte Marie when Meijer opens. Whats the chances Meijer will replan the Cleveland area and take the rest of the Kmarts there.

face it Meijer should buy what remaining Kmarts they can. (While selling the rest to shopko or others).

TheFugitive

Quote from: d_fife on September 28, 2014, 02:01:59 PM

They had plans to expand into the Cleveland market eight or nine years ago.
Even had land purchased for store sites.  They scuttled those plans and sold off the property.

My wife loves Meijers and would be very happy to see them come to Pittsburgh.
But no doubt Cleveland would have to happen first.

Quote from: d_fife on September 28, 2014, 10:21:48 PM
face it Meijer should buy what remaining Kmarts they can. (While selling the rest to shopko or others).

You got that right. Kmart is old news. Kmart is dead. Sears is next. Kmart's problems spread to Sears like a virus. I have a new ne nickname for Sears: "Burns", because that's what the word "sears" means, is "burns", as in "lights on fire". Now, what I'm proud of is Meijer. They are expanding into new territories in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. The only Kmart left in my area is in Menominee, Michigan, just across the river from Marinette, Wisconsin. That location will permanently close soon, I predict. When I heard news about Meijer's expansion into the Green Bay area just a year ago, I was excited. I just hope that they follow through with their plans, so that they can make it north of Milwaukee (I've seen "Meijer" advertisements in the Milwaukee Brewers home stadium, Miller Park).

TheFugitive

Having lived through the Ames-Zayre merger, I could have warned them about this.

But nobody asked.   ::)

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 30, 2014, 08:56:24 AM
Having lived through the Ames-Zayre merger, I could have warned them about this.

But nobody asked.   ::)

I'm pretty sure most retailers are better than that these days.

Hudsons81

The interior layout of a Meijer store. What's interesting about the grocery area is that half of it is laid out vertically like a typical supermarket, but the rest is laid out horizontally like many other Meijer stores. (source)

I also have/had a similar map of the Woodhaven, Michigan store, but I don't know what I did with it.

And here's another interior layout, this one is of my local store in Southgate, Michigan. I actually took this back on March 23, 2012. It remains exactly the same today, other than the opening of a Subway outlet to the right of the deli (in the small gray box shown in the layout).

Also, for those of you in New England or really on the East Coast who's waiting on Meijer to expand to those areas should check this link to see where their stores are located currently:
http://www.meijer.com/custserv/store_locator.jsp

And this detailed map of all Meijer stores, offices, food service centers, distribution centers, convenience stores, property service centers and pharmacy service centers as of this year. It appears that the distribution center in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin is already open.
https://www.meijervendornet.com/Documents/2014%20Meijer%20Regional%20Map.pdf