Main Menu

Meijer

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Quote from: Hudsons81 on February 22, 2016, 10:47:01 AM

The only other Meijer store that closed without being relocated was the one on Pierson Road in Flint, Michigan and that was nearly a year ago.

Pierson Road is a VERY tough neighborhood.  Hills used to have a store there.  Somebody bombed the car of the Loss Prevention manager in the parking lot.  The company transferred him to Ohio for his own safety.

Hudsons81

Meijer openings and renovations for 2016

New store openings
Illinois

• Flossmoor
  • Round Lake Beach

Indiana

• Evansville
  • Indianapolis

Kentucky

• Owensboro

Michigan

• Flat Rock
  • Sturgis

Wisconsin

• Sussex
  • Waukesha

Existing store renovations*
*(incomplete listing, 32 total including those not listed)

Each store will more than likely be an Eyebrow Type C design once their renovation is complete, so their current exterior designs are included.
Indiana

• Fort Wayne (2 locations)
  • Indianapolis (3 locations)

Michigan

• Allen Park (opened 2007, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Burton (opened 1973, Discount Store-Style Type A)
  • Clinton Township (opened 2008, Eyebrow Type B)
  • Greenville (opened 2001, Village Square Type C)
  • Holland Township (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Lapeer (opened 1995, design is unique to store but borrows from later Southport design)
  • Lenox (opened 2007, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Marysville (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Port Huron (opened 1997, Presidential Type B)
  • Roseville (opened 1989, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Royal Oak (opened 1977, Discount Store-Style Type B with gable entrance roofs)
  • Shelby Township (opened 1989, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Southfield (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Wixom (opened 1996, Southport)
  • Warren (opened 2006, Eyebrow Type B)

Unfortunately, this will mean that the red grocery and teal general merchandise signs at the Burton location will have to come down.

Also...could Meijer open it's first smaller urban-format store as part of the new Detroit Red Wings arena?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160131/NEWS/301319979/building-city-blocks-area-around-new-red-wings-arena-teems-with
QuoteAnd within six months â€" two months after this National Hockey League season ends in June with â€" a series of substantial milestones, including major tenants such as a large grocery store and hotel, are expected to be announced.

Among those seriously being courted is Walker, Mich.-based Meijer Inc., which has been exploring conceptual plans for smaller stores to fit in dense urban areas, according to Olympia Development of Michigan executives and other real estate sources.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Hudsons81 on March 02, 2016, 04:50:10 PM
Meijer openings and renovations for 2016

New store openings
Illinois

• Flossmoor
  • Round Lake Beach

Indiana

• Evansville
  • Indianapolis

Kentucky

• Owensboro

Michigan

• Flat Rock
  • Sturgis

Wisconsin

• Sussex
  • Waukesha

Existing store renovations*
*(incomplete listing, 32 total including those not listed)

Each store will more than likely be an Eyebrow Type C design once their renovation is complete, so their current exterior designs are included.
Indiana

• Fort Wayne (2 locations)
  • Indianapolis (3 locations)

Michigan

• Allen Park (opened 2007, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Burton (opened 1973, Discount Store-Style Type A)
  • Clinton Township (opened 2008, Eyebrow Type B)
  • Greenville (opened 2001, Village Square Type C)
  • Holland Township (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Lapeer (opened 1995, design is unique to store but borrows from later Southport design)
  • Lenox (opened 2007, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Marysville (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Port Huron (opened 1997, Presidential Type B)
  • Roseville (opened 1989, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Royal Oak (opened 1977, Discount Store-Style Type B with gable entrance roofs)
  • Shelby Township (opened 1989, Solarium-Style Glazing Window Wall, Light Brown Brick)
  • Southfield (opened 2005, Eyebrow Type A)
  • Wixom (opened 1996, Southport)
  • Warren (opened 2006, Eyebrow Type B)

Unfortunately, this will mean that the red grocery and teal general merchandise signs at the Burton location will have to come down.

Also...could Meijer open it's first smaller urban-format store as part of the new Detroit Red Wings arena?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160131/NEWS/301319979/building-city-blocks-area-around-new-red-wings-arena-teems-with
QuoteAnd within six months â€" two months after this National Hockey League season ends in June with â€" a series of substantial milestones, including major tenants such as a large grocery store and hotel, are expected to be announced.

Among those seriously being courted is Walker, Mich.-based Meijer Inc., which has been exploring conceptual plans for smaller stores to fit in dense urban areas, according to Olympia Development of Michigan executives and other real estate sources.

with Meijer renovating these stores, this wont affect the store departments will they?

TheFugitive

That's a shame.  I worked on Cleveland Ave. many moons ago.

Columbus is a VERY competitive market for groceries.

danfifepsu

its closing while they are expanding. of newarks closing, why dont they open in Heath? It only opened in 1988 (that Meijer), so to me thats not that old. and you saying competitive, there are only 2 Kmarts left around Columbus too.

busman_49

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 15, 2016, 12:19:17 PM
closing   http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2016/03/15/columbus-ohio--cleveland-ave.-meijer-set-for-closure-demolition.html

I'm surprised that one held on as long as it did.  Compared to other ones, that one was pretty small.  I don't remember business being too awful bad though.  Sad to see it go.   :'( R.I.P.

Hudsons81

Looking that store up on Google Images and that lone interior photo shows that the interior of Cleveland Avenue store appears to be interesting-the perimeter band is still in (possibly original to the store) teal but the grocery aisle signs at least are part of the program that Rockwell Group Limited designed for Meijer in 2003.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

closing   http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2016/03/15/columbus-ohio--cleveland-ave.-meijer-set-for-closure-demolition.html
It said in the news article that they're replacing the store with new construction (a new Meijer location on the same site).

Meijer is also cancelling its plans to open stores in Northeast Wisconsin until next year:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/money/2016/03/03/meijer-green-bay-area-not-until-2017/81272140/

ynkeesfn82

I'm getting sick of that guy.I should ban him again.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Marc B on March 19, 2016, 07:34:25 AM
I'm getting sick of that guy.I should ban him again.

I tried to put up the news article of them buying property in Minneapolis area (in this suburb WHICH CONFIRMS THEIR PLANS!! YESSSS) but it didnt come up the article is on Google news on MArch 17. I am guessing hte will have that entry in 2018. Most open 2 years upon being announced.

busman_49

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 15, 2016, 09:31:29 PM
closing   http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2016/03/15/columbus-ohio--cleveland-ave.-meijer-set-for-closure-demolition.html
It said in the news article that they're replacing the store with new construction (a new Meijer location on the same site).

The article was a little vague, but I found another that says Meijer is NOT replacing their store on Cleveland Ave.:
http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/northland/news/2016/03/21/meijer-closing-caught-residents-by-surprise-WB-KP.html

Quote from: busman_49 on March 28, 2016, 07:12:48 AM

The article was a little vague, but I found another that says Meijer is NOT replacing their store on Cleveland Ave.:
http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/northland/news/2016/03/21/meijer-closing-caught-residents-by-surprise-WB-KP.html
I guess some of the employees will be transferred to other locations in town (if they have other locations in the area).

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 28, 2016, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: busman_49 on March 28, 2016, 07:12:48 AM

I guess some of the employees will be transferred to other locations in town (if they have other locations in the area).

they do.

danfifepsu

Ok it says Meijers hours are cut in Wausotta WI, and talks of Cleveland and Minesottas expansion plans in different articles and mentions how they are years down.! YEARS DOWN?? And what other markets?   it said Clevelands will be in 2018 and 2019, Minesotta 2020s (As it said 4 to 5 years), GRRR that is TOO LONG TO WAIT! and whats next after for markets? the ones in UP Michigan are in 2017 and 2018.

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 19, 2016, 10:27:54 AM
Ok it says Meijers hours are cut in Wauwatosa WI, and talks of Cleveland and Minnesota's expansion plans in different articles and mentions how they are years down.! YEARS DOWN?? And what other markets?   It said Cleveland's store will be open in 2018 and 2019, Minnesota in the 2020s (As it said 4 to 5 years), GRRR that is TOO LONG TO WAIT! and whats next after for markets? the ones in the UP of Michigan are open in 2017 and 2018.

I think the whole idea behind Meijer's expansion is similar to Walmart's "magic circle" approach to expanding. It took Wisconsin less than 20 years to get a Walmart because of that.
Of course it's going to take a long time to wait for a store.

Green Bay, Wisconsin will open a new store across from Mills' Fleet Farm, and Bellevue, Wisconsin will open a location near Costco in 2017.

The Grand Chute (Appleton), Wisconsin store will open near the Fox River Mall. Manitowoc, Wisconsin will also get a store.

The Memorial Mall in Sheboygan, Wisconsin will be demolished for a new Meijer location as well.

I don't think any retailer should expand too fast, or else they'll end up like Target did north of the border in Canada, where they only lasted two years before going under.

Most locations have to get approval from city governments before being planned out as well, if they don't purchase a vacant building.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 19, 2016, 07:15:18 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on April 19, 2016, 10:27:54 AM
Ok it says Meijers hours are cut in Wauwatosa WI, and talks of Cleveland and Minnesota's expansion plans in different articles and mentions how they are years down.! YEARS DOWN?? And what other markets?   It said Cleveland's store will be open in 2018 and 2019, Minnesota in the 2020s (As it said 4 to 5 years), GRRR that is TOO LONG TO WAIT! and whats next after for markets? the ones in the UP of Michigan are open in 2017 and 2018.

I think the whole idea behind Meijer's expansion is similar to Walmart's "magic circle" approach to expanding. It took Wisconsin less than 20 years to get a Walmart because of that.
Of course it's going to take a long time to wait for a store.

Green Bay, Wisconsin will open a new store across from Mills' Fleet Farm, and Bellevue, Wisconsin will open a location near Costco in 2017.

The Grand Chute (Appleton), Wisconsin store will open near the Fox River Mall. Manitowoc, Wisconsin will also get a store.

The Memorial Mall in Sheboygan, Wisconsin will be demolished for a new Meijer location as well.

I don't think any retailer should expand too fast, or else they'll end up like Target did north of the border in Canada, where they only lasted two years before going under.

Most locations have to get approval from city governments before being planned out as well, if they don't purchase a vacant building.

I guessed that, as I guess Meijer is careful, No wonder why they are successful as they seem to do good w their merchandising and this expansion thing. I love them more than Walmart and Target despite that my nearest one is in Sandusky OH (which is 12 hrs from me). Good part of Targets expansion (it was as bad as or worse than the Ames - Zayre trainwreck).

but Meijer purchased LAND for a couple in Minesotta and now it says 4-5 years???? where will they be in Cleveland? Besides Avon, Aurora and Stow? and Youngstown is planned too. What of put one in HEATH? As NEwark closed. every chain every now and then has to yeild a store or two.

what of Meijer in MAdison? and St Louis, Davenport, PEoria and Marion IL? prob 2021?

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 19, 2016, 08:02:53 PM
what of Meijer in MAdison? and St Louis, Davenport, PEoria and Marion IL? prob 2021?
Madison's locations will open sooner than that. I think in 2017 or 2018. I'm unsure about the other locations.

Hudsons81

St Louis, PEoria

The Springfield, Illinois store is less than 100 miles from either city, though there is also a location in Bloomington that's 65 miles closer to Peoria.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Hudsons81 on April 20, 2016, 07:21:55 AM
St Louis, PEoria

The Springfield, Illinois store is less than 100 miles from either city, though there is also a location in Bloomington that's 65 miles closer to Peoria.

what are you saying? COuld those markets be next? and what of the QUAD cities? whill they go to South and North Dakotas? Missouri, Iowa, KAnsas, nebraska? and WEst Virginia and WEstern PA?

what of Eu clarie WI? and LA Crosse? whats with the delay of cleveland? As they are in other parts of Ohio.

danfifepsu

Ok now that the last Kmart of around Peoria is CLOSING! NOW Is the time for MEIJER to come there!! and its only 35 miles from Bloomington so they should have a foothold there.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 23, 2016, 04:49:21 AM

I heard of one in Janesville being built. Green Bay opens in 2017. Ok PEoria next?? it should be.

Hudsons81

Meijer is hiring 280 employees for a store it is opening in August in Flat Rock, Michigan.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2016/04/25/news/doc571e74a38434b123464841.txt

Construction begins on Meijer store in Howard

Jeff Bollier, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin

QuoteHOWARD - Meijer has started construction on its first Green Bay area supercenter.

Meijer Senior Director of Communications Frank Guglielmi said work on the 15.75-acre site, south of Shawano Avenue and east of Interstate 41, marks the beginning of the 12-14 months it takes to build one of the Grand Rapids, Mich.-based retailer’s 192,000-square-foot stores.

In an email, Guglielmi said the store should open in late spring or summer 2017. The opening date will not be set until a few months before the store opens, he said.

Meijer stores offer a product mix that includes general merchandise, groceries and gasoline. They typically exceed Walmart and Costco in size.

Howard Director of Community Development David Wiese said much of the current work involves site preparation and demolition. Meijer still needs to apply for building permits. Wiese said he expects those applications will come in soon.

He said the village will complete Meijer Drive, which provides access to the site from Badgerland Drive, in conjunction with Meijer’s construction plans.

Guglielmi said the store will employ about 250 people. Hiring would begin in early 2017.

Meijer plans to open two Wisconsin stores this year, in Sussex and Waukesha. The company plans to eventually build a store in Bellevue.

I saw the groundbreaking of the Meijer store in my area with my own eyes for the first time today.

Pikapower

I' not sure of how to pronounce Meijer, is it "My-er" or is it "My-jer"?  ???
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on May 14, 2016, 05:38:52 PM
I' not sure of how to pronounce Meijer, is it "My-er" or is it "My-jer"?  ???
It's pronounced "Meyer", the "J" is silent.

busman_49

My-er.  The j is silent.