Year in Review: stores that have opened in your area in 2008 or plan to open in 2009

Started by AmesNewington, December 28, 2008, 11:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

List stores in your area that have opened this year in your area and/or ones that will open in 2009. Despite the current retail world, I thought it would be interesting to see what stores are still opening locations these days.

I'll post mine at a later time.

Marc82

Southington, Connecticut seems to be jumping.

Rite Aid is building a new store on Queen Street. It's where the Chevy Dealership used to be. Those familiar with the area will recall that the building was painted Orange and used for a Halloween Store in 2007. The store downtown (further down 10) will close when the new store opens.

Dunkin Donuts is building a new store on Queen Street where Mitchell's Used Auto Car lot used to be. It's gonna be next to the AGAVE MEXICAN Restaurant and Grille.

There are still rumors of Shoprite opening in the old Shaws.

Lowe's and Red Robin are opening on West Street (Rt 229)  next year. Target opened there in October. The Lowes and Red Robin will share the plaza with Target.

The Hilton Family is also supposed to be building a hotel somewhere in the area of the new Target and Lowes.

Comfort Inn & Suites built a brand new hotel on Meriden Waterbury Road (Rt. 322) near the Home Depot that opened in 2006. New owners bought the run down Days Inn on Meriden Waterbury Road, renovated it and converted it to an Econo Lodge.

Someone just bought the long vacant Brannigan's Rib Joint on Laning Street adjacent to the Holiday Inn Express. No word yet as to what's going in there.

There also have been some lookers, but no takers thus far to the old Pondersosa Steakhouse.

The rundown Traveler's Inn (which back in the 70s was a Howard Johnson's) has been fixed up nicely and is now a Red Carpet Inn. (Of course while I've been told it's been fixed up nicely, it still looks like the 1970s in there).

Now if only someone would buy the Howard Johnson Express next to Price Chopper. It's a run-down dump. They have a special rent the Honeymoon Suite and get 4 mice in your room for the price of 3. The only change thus far is that it's know a Knights Inn. There's a banner of the front of the building but they still have Howard Johnson Express Signs everywhere.

EddieJ1984

Here in Northeast Philly, a target is gonna be opened by march 2009 at bustleton ave near cottman ave (It looks already done, probably inside stuff they have to do), the AMC Orleans 8, and a few other stores was there, they built a new pep boys and petsmart (Which has existing stores already there)  next to one another.

momof3

Aldi's built a new building on the pike in 2008.  
Dollar tree opened in the old Lechmere plaza
Sams club and LA Fitness comming to the Toys R us plaza this year

Thats all that comes to mind right now but i am sure there are more......