All these brands are being converted to Safeway:
Carrs/Carrs-Safeway
Dominick's
Genuardi's
Randalls
Tom Thumb
Vons

store215

Where'd you get this information from? If it's true, it just seems like a waste of money.

NJxxJon

All we have in jersey is Genuardi's  - And....those are not so hot here either.... :duh:
JN

Neel

By "branding" do they mean just the private label products sold in the store or the name of the store itself?

I was at VONS tonight and it seems like they've phased out most VONS brand products in favor of Safeway. However, I don't know if they will actually change the name...especially in this economy, where they might risk losing customers. I know that even when we make subtle changes in the pharmacy that I run, customers make a big deal.

On the other hand, it would be more economical in the long run if all of their stores had the same name.

We'll have to see...

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by Neel
By "branding" do they mean just the private label products sold in the store or the name of the store itself?

I was at VONS tonight and it seems like they've phased out most VONS brand products in favor of Safeway. However, I don't know if they will actually change the name...especially in this economy, where they might risk losing customers. I know that even when we make subtle changes in the pharmacy that I run, customers make a big deal.

On the other hand, it would be more economical in the long run if all of their stores had the same name.

We'll have to see...

Oops, I tried to go to the websites of Genuardi's and Randalls and both redirected to Safeway. Must have been a technical problem. That does seem possible though because Safeway rebranded some Genuardi's stores to Safeway long ago. They also renamed Carrs Carrs-Safeway and in 2006 converted their house brands to Safeway.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by NJxxJon
All we have in jersey is Genuardi's  - And....those are not so hot here either.... :duh:

Yeah Genuardi's has been getting more and more expensive ever since the Safeway buyout. Plus Acme and Shop-Rite have way more stores here.

BillyGr

And now they're rebranding them (Genuardi's) to whatever company wants to buy them ;)

The original change (to Safeway), which was the DE stores (I think) had something to do with old union deals from when Safeway was in DE years ago, or something like that.