Best Market

Started by AmesNewington, December 15, 2008, 04:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ames Newington

I actually can't think of many other towns that have a building of the size Newington is (33,000 SF). I would imagine Best Market wants these stores to be in neighborhood settings. The only other place I can think of at the moment would be in Naugatuck at the old A&P on New Haven Road.

I would just like to know how Best Market decided to put their first CT store in Newington. They must have seen something we hadn't. I personally know we needed something to replace Foodmart.

ynkeesfn82

If INLAND WESTERN Realty agrees to divide the building into 2 or 3 store fronts Best Market can open in the old Shaw's in New Britain
when Shaw's lease is up in 2016.

TRU7536

Quote from: Ames Newington on October 01, 2013, 02:16:26 PM
I actually can't think of many other towns that have a building of the size Newington is (33,000 SF). I would imagine Best Market wants these stores to be in neighborhood settings. The only other place I can think of at the moment would be in Naugatuck at the old A&P on New Haven Road.

I would just like to know how Best Market decided to put their first CT store in Newington. They must have seen something we hadn't. I personally know we needed something to replace Foodmart.

I can think of a reason why they choose Newington, Stew Leonard's!

The town is a lot  like the towns In Long Island that they have stores at, typical suburban working class town that offers a lot. If Stews and or the Pike didn't exist, no way they would have picked it.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on October 01, 2013, 04:50:38 PM
If INLAND WESTERN Realty agrees to divide the building into 2 or 3 store fronts Best Market can open in the old Shaw's in New Britain
when Shaw's lease is up in 2016.

I don't think they would ever consider  New Britain or East Hartford as locations, as it's not there target demographics.

I can see towns like Southington, Plainville, Glastonbury, as towns they want to go into.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on October 01, 2013, 04:58:56 PM
I can see towns like Southington, Plainville, Glastonbury, as towns they want to go into.

Southington has only 42,000 residents and there are way too many places to buy groceries.

1. Shoprite
2. BJ's WholeSale
3. Price Chopper (Struggling)
4. Walmart
5. Stop & Shop
6. TOP IGA
7. Target

As for Plainville there is no room. Plus there is only 17,800 residents. They have Big Y and Gnazzo's. (IGA). Big Y is struggling.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on October 01, 2013, 08:09:36 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on October 01, 2013, 04:58:56 PM

Southington has only 42,000 residents and there are way too many places to buy groceries.

1. Shoprite
2. BJ's WholeSale
3. Price Chopper (Struggling)
4. Walmart
5. Stop & Shop
6. TOP IGA
7. Target

As for Plainville there is no room. Plus there is only 17,800 residents. They have Big Y and Gnazzo's. (IGA). Big Y is struggling.

Plainville only has 17,800 people? wow..thought it was bigger. Southington on the other hand, thought was way smaller than that.

ynkeesfn82

Simsbury, Connecticut would be a good spot. The former Andy's is still empty. Plus the town recently denied plans for a BIG Y.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on September 26, 2013, 08:58:28 PM
Best Market plans to open their Newington, CT store on October 25th.

The October 25th date may change. There are still quite a few things that still need to get done before they're ready to open.

ynkeesfn82

Best Market had their Soft opening yesterday Friday October 25th. Not everything was ready yet.

Also an article in The Hartford Courant stated that for future locations in Connecticut they are unsure if they'll target other middle class towns like Newington or High End towns such as those in The Farmington Valley.

http://courantblogs.com/dan-haar/new-supermarket-chain-comes-to-ct-best-market-opening-in-newington/

Ames Newington

An employee from the Newington Best Market heard that a second location will be opening in Uncasville, CT. There is a listing for Produce team members on multiple job sites and the address for the new store is 601 Norwich-New London Turnpike. From searching the address, apparently this was an IGA Tri-Town Foods. As soon as I find out more information and maybe a press release, I'll post it here.

Stork of The Weak

This isn't related to Best Buy is it? They have used a few former supermarket spaces...

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 26, 2014, 02:54:30 PM
This isn't related to Best Buy is it? They have used a few former supermarket spaces...

Nope. It's not. Here's their history http://bestmarket.com/about/history/

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: Marc B on April 26, 2014, 06:14:39 PM

Thanks. That store I saw first thing after clicking your link was a perfect example of a former A&P. I'm surprised Best Yet and so many other grocers that have opened at former A&P sites haven't done more to disguise these stores, such as at least removing the weathervanes. But it seems the A&P Centennial format was originally designed to please communities that otherwise didn't want supermarkets in them, purely for aesthetic reasons.

BillyGr

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 26, 2014, 10:26:24 PM
Quote from: Marc B on April 26, 2014, 06:14:39 PM

Thanks. That store I saw first thing after clicking your link was a perfect example of a former A&P. I'm surprised Best Yet and so many other grocers that have opened at former A&P sites haven't done more to disguise these stores, such as at least removing the weathervanes. But it seems the A&P Centennial format was originally designed to please communities that otherwise didn't want supermarkets in them, purely for aesthetic reasons.

It may be because most of the stores taking over older supermarkets are smaller companies (either independent or small chains like Best Market) and they probably don't have a lot of excess funds, so why re-do something that still works?  They likely spend what they do have to fix the more important stuff (broken fixtures, bad floors and such) rather than do cosmetic redesigns, while the larger companies like to keep stores looking similar and thus re-do them more.

Bdubs

Quote from: Ames Newington on April 26, 2014, 01:38:16 PM
An employee from the Newington Best Market heard that a second location will be opening in Uncasville, CT. There is a listing for Produce team members on multiple job sites and the address for the new store is 601 Norwich-New London Turnpike. From searching the address, apparently this was an IGA Tri-Town Foods. As soon as I find out more information and maybe a press release, I'll post it here.

This is true, Tri Town Foods also has stores in East Lyme and Portland. They originally purchased the Uncasville store after a long time running family grocer, Beit Brothers called it quits. The store in Uncasville is a tough place. Overall its a small town, and the opening of a Stop & Shop in Montville right down the road made it tough for them to survive.
Tri Town also had 2 stores in Colchester almost 15 years ago. They still own the property, but competition by Stop & Shop made it hard on them.

Joeg

Keep us posted, they just subdivided the old Big Y in East Hartford CT into a gym.  Not sure what is going in the rest of Big Y.

RoleModel

Best Market is also opening another location, in East Meadow, NY (Nassau County). For once, it's not a former Waldbaums/A&P (that I know of).

ynkeesfn82

According to BEST MARKET's website the Uncasville Store is now open.

Ames Newington

Quote from: Marc B on June 28, 2014, 09:32:26 AM

It's been open for a month already.

ynkeesfn82

Will Best Market open any more stores in Connecticut? Someone I know emailed the company a couple of weeks ago and asked them to open a store in Bristol next to the new Hobby Lobby. They go to the one in Newington about once a month, but would shop at Best Market more often if there was one in Bristol where they live. It's 25 miles round trip for them to go to Best in Newington.  P.S. They haven't gotten a response from Best Market.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on October 18, 2014, 08:02:13 PM
Will Best Market open any more stores in Connecticut? Someone I know emailed the company a couple of weeks ago and asked them to open a store in Bristol next to the new Hobby Lobby. They go to the one in Newington about once a month, but would shop at Best Market more often if there was one in Bristol where they live. It's 25 miles round trip for them to go to Best in Newington.  P.S. They haven't gotten a response from Best Market.

Expansion has not progressed with Best Market as a whole. Hopefully they will open a few more CT locations, but also remember that they only have a few in NJ, so maybe they are not planning on many stores in CT, at least for now. I'm not sure the location you mention would work, because Route 6 is heavily saturated with competition, most notably ShopRite across the street, which does a good business. But maybe another section of Bristol would work better; maybe even the Farmington Valley. I was thinking the next location should be in Naugatuck in the old A&P. After all, that is the last vacant A&P in the state from the 2010 closures, and the store is a good medium size for a Best Market. I was also thinking they may choose a spot in the Litchfield Hills or in the Fairfield area. But we shall see.

ynkeesfn82

My friend emailed me tonite and told me he still hasn't heard back from Best Market about his suggestion to come to Bristol.  Too bad.

RoleModel

I think most of their efforts will be focused on Long Island, as that's their main market.

RoleModel

Another Long Island location: this time in Lake Grove. I'm not sure what the location was before, it's 2900 Middle Country Road, about half a mile east of Smithhaven Mall (and Fairway Market, Whole Foods and Trader Joes).

It does look like a former supermarket, but way before my time.

ynkeesfn82

Did they close already? The website doesn't have Uncasville listed any more.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on March 10, 2015, 04:46:50 PM

Yes they did. Back on January 28. They closed without notice. Apparently, they wanted to purchase the plaza like what they did in Newington, and the landlord wouldn't negotiate, so they decided to pack up and leave. Coincidentally, Sal, was transferred there last summer from Newington as manager, and is now out of a job. Look up Uncasville Best Market on Google, and you should find news articles on the closing.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 10, 2015, 05:45:55 PM

Yes they did. Back on January 28. They closed without notice. Apparently, they wanted to purchase the plaza like what they did in Newington, and the landlord wouldn't negotiate, so they decided to pack up and leave. Coincidentally, Sal, was transferred there last summer from Newington as manager, and is now out of a job. Look up Uncasville Best Market on Google, and you should find news articles on the closing.

Good. After how he treated me when I worked for him at Shaw's and the really brief time I worked at Best I have to say couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

ynkeesfn82

It's ridiculous that they wouldn't sell to BEST. The plaza is still for sale too. http://www.cityfeet.com/cont/ForSale/LN19123941/601-Norwich-New-London-Turnpike-Uncasville-CT-06382

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on March 10, 2015, 08:14:04 PM

Good. After how he treated me when I worked for him at Shaw's and the really brief time I worked at Best I have to say couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

He almost ruined our Best Market. That's why they must have moved him. An employee told me the store wasn't doing well with him there. No one at ShopRite where I work liked him (most at the time being from Shaw's). He wasn't personable and he was shady too. Glad he's gone from the company.

Bdubs

Wow, I had no idea they closed. I thought it was very strange they never re applied for a beer permit after taking over. Makes sense now.