Main Menu

K-Cafe

Started by KmartDanny09, July 24, 2008, 11:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

most kmarts sometimes reuse what a store had like this one in white plains ny this was a caldor whitch had a nathens in it something that was pretty good well kmart moved in in 1999 and made it into a kmart cafe and let me tell you something that cafe was nasty unclean and made the whole store smell horrble they did redue the store and got ri dof that god awful BIG K logo but that cafe still makes the whole store stink the target by me has a starbucks and a pizza hut in it and it sure doesnt make the store smell nasty
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

If I were the CEO of Kmart, I would plan to replace a couple shuttered Kcafe's with Burger Kings.

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
most kmarts sometimes reuse what a store had like this one in white plains ny this was a caldor whitch had a nathens in it something that was pretty good well kmart moved in in 1999 and made it into a kmart cafe and let me tell you something that cafe was nasty unclean and made the whole store smell horrble they did redue the store and got ri dof that god awful BIG K logo but that cafe still makes the whole store stink the target by me has a starbucks and a pizza hut in it and it sure doesnt make the store smell nasty  

How exactly does it smell nasty?

wwefan101

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

How exactly does it smell nasty?

well the smell of nacos hot dogs fries chicken popcord all mixed in together in a store that always seems to keep the heat on even in the summer its not a pretty good smell
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
It just seems like a sign of the times that many services at K-Mart and are becoming few and far between.

Like the K Cafes, auto centers, garden centers, even pharmacies.

GothicPrincess

in my travels all over west PA today I went to Parkway Center Mall. It has on one side a Giant Eagle, and with it, a K-mart, with guess what? A K-cafe!!! with a Little Ceasers. the mall is dying, but the K-mart looks pretty good. see attatched picture
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

Mervyns

Mine used to look like this...

Now is just a seasonal department.

TRJ22487

Here is the cafe in West Lebanon, NH when I visited January

KmartDanny09

I forgot that I posted this and was very surprised to see it pop up again!

As an update to this story, our KCafe closed back in November.

Funny thing was, about 6 weeks before it closed, they replaced the char-broiler, vent fans, and replaced the menu board with the updated graphics. Sadly, the poor sales in the summer (which were because of the broken char-broiler and limited selection because of broken freezer), lead Kmart officals to close the restaurant... even though sales were WAAY up after it had been fixed. The hours had been extended too, to 7:00 PM.

The call came during a rainy Wednesday afternoon... we were told by corporate to simply "shut it down." Which resulted in employees taking home excess food products.

Corporate is currently looking into the possibility of putting Kenmore appliances into the former space. Currently, it sits empty, but the kitchen is now the new "janitor closest" and brand new "maintenance office."

No employees were laid-off because of the closure. They were transferred to cashier or floor associates... but one now works on signs...

The Kmart Cafe is greatly missed by all... especially me, who always bought a pretzel or burger and a large soda EVERY shift I worked.

zonemad96

I remember our kmart used to have one of these right at the front of the store as you were leaving which was a terrible spot since the checkout lanes were just a few feet in front of it so people would constantly bump into you with their shopping carts. I would always bug my mother to get food from their every time we would leave and it was always the same answer, no. I think it closed up just a year or two before the store did but I can't really remember to be honest.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on March 02, 2009, 11:31:29 PM
The Kmart is Northeast Philadelphia (on the roosevelt boulavard) still has a K-Cafe.

Update: was in kmart today and the K-Cafe doesn't have a sign anymore, but it was open. Also around the store they were changin floors and some stuff has moved.
Also I think this picture best shows just how busy kmarts are.

Kcafe is a restaurant located inside Kmart, so why would it be here in retail when it would be in restaurants, along with Kmart Chef where it would be more appropriate?

JSIDA17

Do any of them still exist? I miss them so much...  :'(

Pikapower

If I were the CEO of Kmart, I would plan to replace all of the shuttered and remaining Kcafe's with Subways!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Kmart opened a Wendy's hamburger restaurant inside their Canton, Michigan store in 1985. I just wish this fast-food partnership was successful enough for a nationwide rollout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were Kmart CEO, I'd open up new restaurants in the former Kcafes, I'd choose from Tim Hortons Doughnuts, Wendy's, Arby's, Rax, Popeyes Chicken, Quiznos, DQ Grill & Chill (featuring Orange Julius), Domino's Pizza, Sbarro, Del Taco, A&W, or Taco John's

The reason why I chose those restaurants is because I don't want restaurants competing with a location in a competitor's snackbar (like a Kmart Subway competing with a Walmart Subway for example).

Walmart has McDonald's, Burger King, Subway, Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robins, Blimpie, etc.

Target has Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Starbucks Coffee, etc.

I want my restaurants to be different from the competition.

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 11, 2016, 09:19:07 PMIf I were Kmart CEO, I'd open up new restaurants in the former Kcafes, I'd choose from Tim Hortons Doughnuts, Wendy's, Arby's, Rax, Popeyes Chicken, Quiznos, DQ Grill & Chill (featuring Orange Julius), Domino's Pizza, Sbarro, Del Taco, A&W, or Taco John's.

Um, I just want to correct my last post if I were the CEO of Kmart, I would plan to replace all of the shuttered and remaining Kcafes with little food courts featuring three of the said restaurants plus Moe's Southwest Grill or Checkers/Rally's.

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Quote from: Pikapower on May 12, 2016, 02:56:53 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 11, 2016, 09:19:07 PMIf I were Kmart CEO, I'd open up new restaurants in the former Kcafes, I'd choose from Tim Hortons Doughnuts, Wendy's, Arby's, Rax, Popeyes Chicken, Quiznos, DQ Grill & Chill (featuring Orange Julius), Domino's Pizza, Sbarro, Del Taco, A&W, or Taco John's.

Um, I just want to correct my last post if I were the CEO of Kmart, I would plan to replace all of the shuttered and remaining Kcafes with little food courts featuring three of the said restaurants plus Moe's Southwest Grill or Checkers/Rally's.
I don't know if Moe's is practical, and Kmart only has enough room for one restaurant or two very small restaurants. I would also like to add that if I were Kmart CEO, I would turn all the former Penske Auto Centers into a Kwash Laundromat or a video arcade called the "arKade".

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 12, 2016, 05:19:20 PM

I don't know if Moe's is practical, and Kmart only has enough room for one restaurant or two very small restaurants. I would also like to add that if I were Kmart CEO, I would turn all the former Penske Auto Centers into a Kwash Laundromat or a video arcade called the "arKade".

And don't forget about changing some of the the former Penske Auto Centers into Sears Auto Centers, Sears Optical Centers, or KDental offices! ;)

JSIDA17

Honestly, I think that Kmart should focus on renovating their stores and making them a better atmosphere before they start adding laundromats and arcades.

Quote from: JSIDA17 on May 12, 2016, 05:35:37 PM

Honestly, I think that Kmart should focus on renovating their stores and making them a better atmosphere before they start adding laundromats and arcades.
They (Sears Holdings) should learn from Kmart Australia/New Zealand's success. Their stores are clean, organized and owned by a different company, Wesfarmers Ltd. (they too, were owned by Kresge at one time as joint venture with Coles-Myer), as well as renovated to a trendier look with the latest computer technology for their cash registers.

JSIDA17

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 12, 2016, 05:44:15 PM

They (Sears Holdings) should learn from Kmart Australia/New Zealand's success. Their stores are clean, organized and owned by a different company, Wesfarmers Ltd. (they too, were owned by Kresge at one time as joint venture with Coles-Myer), as well as renovated to a trendier look with the latest computer technology for their cash registers.

And they have a better logo too!

Quote from: JSIDA17 on May 12, 2016, 05:46:10 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 12, 2016, 05:44:15 PM

And they have a better logo too!
Yes, another thing that I was going to mention.

Pikapower

I think Kmart pretty much phased out the Kcafe because they weren't do good in sales and the ex-Kcafes get used for more retail space or storage for back stock.

JSIDA17

Here’s a weird story:

Maybe about five years ago when the Kmart in Putnam, CT was a Sears Essentials, I went in there to buy some sneakers. When I went to go use the bathroom, I noticed the “Employees Only” door was slightly creaked open, so I took a small peek in there, and I saw some really weird things. Old Kmart wall decorations, merchandise, fixtures, I even saw the whole old Little Caesars area with all the menus and kitchen appliances still in there! It was truly a weird experience.

busman_49

Quote from: JSIDA17 on May 26, 2016, 07:34:32 AM
Here’s a weird story:

Maybe about five years ago when the Kmart in Putnam, CT was a Sears Essentials, I went in there to buy some sneakers. When I went to go use the bathroom, I noticed the “Employees Only” door was slightly creaked open, so I took a small peek in there, and I saw some really weird things. Old Kmart wall decorations, merchandise, fixtures, I even saw the whole old Little Caesars area with all the menus and kitchen appliances still in there! It was truly a weird experience.

That definitely would have been something to see.  "Hidden relics" fascinate me as much as the stuff that's in plain view.

TheFugitive

One of my stops with Ames was a former G.C. Murphy location where our Employees Only area was an old restaurant that had operated when the store was a Murphy Mart.

It was a treasure trove of old signs, fixtures, and dump SKU backstock.

JSIDA17

Quote from: busman_49 on May 26, 2016, 09:45:45 AM
Here’s a weird story:

That definitely would have been something to see.  "Hidden relics" fascinate me as much as the stuff that's in plain view.

My thoughts exactly. I would've taken pictures but I was only 10 years old at the time and didn't have a camera or cell phone then.

busman_49

Quote from: JSIDA17 on May 26, 2016, 10:51:52 AM
Quote from: busman_49 on May 26, 2016, 09:45:45 AM
Here’s a weird story:

My thoughts exactly. I would've taken pictures but I was only 10 years old at the time and didn't have a camera or cell phone then.

I completely understand.  I look back on some of the things I saw when I was younger and wish there was a way I could go back in time and photograph them now that they're gone.

The Kmart stores in Australia had a different restaurant inside their stores in the 1980s and 1990s called Holly's Restaurant. Holly's closed their last restaurant in Horsham, Victoria, Australia on June 25, 2010.