Main Menu

K-Cafe

Started by KmartDanny09, July 24, 2008, 11:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KmartDanny09

As I went into work today, I noticed that the K-Cafe had a sign stating that the hours have changed from 9 am to 5:00 pm to 9:00am to 1:00pm... Is his K-Mart's way of "phasing out" the K-Cafe concept? I was talking with a floor associate who said that their where a bunch of things that needed to be fixed, but couldn't because of problems with corporate.

Have your local K-Cafes changed their hours? Just wanted to know...

C. Fontaine

My local K-Cafe closed a few years back.

beachgal26

It just seems like a sign of the times that many services at K-Mart and are becoming few and far between.

store215

Mine has been closed for a while now...they added it in in the late 90's with the Big K concept, but it came way too late.

FearlessSwan

The Little Caesars/K Cafe at my local K Mart is gone, but you can still see where it was.

wwefan101

i liked the kmart cafa then it became llittle casers  but now its a clothing dept at our kmar ther remoulding out kmart mabye they should put another restaunt in it

dmx10101

Two Kmarts I've been to in the last year still had their K cafe's-

Rome, GA Super Kmart 1/08

Jacksonville, FL Big Kmart 9/07

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

patk

K Cafe/Little Caesars
in the k-mart on COLUMBIA AVE
COLUMBIA, PA  as of 7\30\08

the hrs are 8am to 7pm
the Casher says that some K Cafes may go (i hope the ones with Little Caesars dont go) :holysh:

CTAmeshopper

A lot of them are gone, they're rare now, they had good food though.

I miss the pretzels the nachos the hotdogs, the Icees oh man it's no fun anymore :hurt:

the ingenious of it is that it kept the customers inside to do more shopping, it felt like an experience, now it seems like a chore.

Toys4Joy

I've been to some Kmart cafes in the past and it looked like the hot dogs had been sitting there for a few years.  Yummy

Jonah Norason

QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper

I miss the pretzels the nachos the hotdogs, the Icees oh man it's no fun anymore :hurt:

the ingenious of it is that it kept the customers inside to do more shopping, it felt like an experience, now it seems like a chore.

Well, may I introduce you to TARGET restaurants? ICEEs, pretzels, pizza, and coffee! Hooray!

Jonah Norason

On a related note, does anyone know of the really old Kmart Kafeterias?
Egg rolls? Butterscotch pudding? Apple dumplings? Ham-and-cheese sandwiches?

Yum yum?

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/2006/06/cherry-hill-mall.html

beachgal26

I don't remember that menu, but I do remember when they had a full-service section at the front of every store (conveniently located right in front of you as you went through the checkstands).  

They had several kinds of sandwiches, hot dogs, frozen Cokes and lots of things that you could grab and take with you.  (My daughter always knew that if she behaved in the store, a hot dog would be waiting for her at check-out!)

:yup:

Jonah Norason

Still sounds like a K-Cafe. Although I was way too late for a Kmart Kafeteria, I'd still like to hear if anyone knew of it. Kmart should spin off the K-Cafe as a separate restaurant brand...after all, they http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/search/label/Kmart%20Chef">already did.

CTAmeshopper

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonah Norason
QuoteOriginally posted by CTAmeshopper

Well, may I introduce you to TARGET restaurants? ICEEs, pretzels, pizza, and coffee! Hooray!

I know their food is definately excellent there, I'm just saying the experience at Kmart isn't the same I still remember when they had Little Ceasars :insane:

compared to Target's the K Cafes were small.

Marc82

Maybe if KMART isn't interested in running their K Cafe's anymore they ought to lease the space to someone else. Two Walmarts I know of (perhaps more) leased their former Cafe space to SUBWAY.

FearlessSwan

I can remember the Kmart in Norwalk, CT (which no one seems to remember being a Kmart) having a snack bar near the front of the store, and the one in Sidney, NY (which eventually abandoned its old 70s style store for an all-new Big K complete with Little Caesars built right down the street) having a cafeteria toward the back of the store, but I can't remember any specific menu items.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by FearlessSwan
I can remember the Kmart in Norwalk, CT (which no one seems to remember being a Kmart) having a snack bar near the front of the store, and the one in Sidney, NY (which eventually abandoned its old 70s style store for an all-new Big K complete with Little Caesars built right down the street) having a cafeteria toward the back of the store, but I can't remember any specific menu items.

It's funny that you mention the Sidney K Mart. To this day, the older one is still present, untouched. Tractor Trailers park in the Old Parking Lot. That's about all the excitement it gets.

Loki

The full service cafeterias were usually in the back of the stores and most of the older Kmarts converted them to store room space when they were phased out. Some used to have a smaller snack counter near the front and the actual restaurant with seating in the rear. A few menu items I remember getting were a scrambled eggs breakfast platter, a patty melt on toast with fries and the little cups of pudding and jello. The food had a gritty taste, but for old crudy Kmarts I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mobil

Several Kmarts near me have closed theirs. The only one that didn't ended up closing the whole store. Another one had a "Family Dining" restaurant, but that closed in 2003 or 2004 and is now used as a garden center. :no:

KmartDanny09

Well, another K Cafe has bitten the dust...

On Wednesday, store management alerted the Cafe employees that corporate told them to pull the plug... employees were free to have any remaining food and by closing the restaurant had been cleaned out.

Thankfully, no lay offs are happening... the 9 people that worked back there are being trained in other areas of the store. I'm kinda ticked because now I have to now purchase ready-to-eat food or walk to the McDonald's near the store for when I'm on my meal... They always had the best burgers and even better french fries.

Now, heres why I'm posting this. In Kmarts that have recently closed the Cafes, have anything become of them? According to management, the Cafe will be converted into a larger layaway area, while others say that it will remain empty... One associate of a remodeled store said that when a Cafe closes its the sign that the whole store will be remodeled...

...any thoughts? What have you seen?

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by KmartDanny09
Well, another K Cafe has bitten the dust...

On Wednesday, store management alerted the Cafe employees that corporate told them to pull the plug... employees were free to have any remaining food and by closing the restaurant had been cleaned out.

Thankfully, no lay offs are happening... the 9 people that worked back there are being trained in other areas of the store. I'm kinda ticked because now I have to now purchase ready-to-eat food or walk to the McDonald's near the store for when I'm on my meal... They always had the best burgers and even better french fries.

Now, heres why I'm posting this. In Kmarts that have recently closed the Cafes, have anything become of them? According to management, the Cafe will be converted into a larger layaway area, while others say that it will remain empty... One associate of a remodeled store said that when a Cafe closes its the sign that the whole store will be remodeled...

...any thoughts? What have you seen?

The ones near me all closed in 2004 and are just extra space now. :flaming:

store215

My local store had a KCafe only a few years (It was added in the late 90's when they had a Big K "remodel)..it's been walled off and looks like it is used for storage and the whole area in front of it is filled with overstock.
Strangely, this store added a mini snack bar earlier this year in front of the registers with self-serve coffee, Icee's, etc. that you pay for in a regular checkout line.

momof3

Mine too also added the mini bar, but if I remeber correctly the old snack bar was used for additional boys clothing and overstock

kendra

We've still got the Little Caesars in ours -- I stop in and grab a pizza occasionally.

momof3

I liked little ceasars, think the former Kmart in Southington CT had one up until they closed in 2002

wwefan101

i liked the frist restaunt our kmart had it was like a dinner type thing  they had the best breakfast ever

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
I liked little ceasars, think the former Kmart in Southington CT had one up until they closed in 2002

Hmmm. I don't remember.

GothicPrincess

We still have ours...in Latrobe, PA. K-mart has as soon as you walk in, on the right, there is the service counter, a small walkway to the bathrooms and just to the left of that walkway is the K-cafe. Not sure if it's labelled that, but it has the seating area, the self service fountain drink piece, with the counter with fresh cookies, hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, pretzels, and other crap I can't remember right now. I'll try to get a pic when I go there again. I gotta make a list now of all the things I need photos of...lol Oh, in front of the cafe, they had room to park your carts all along the front, but now I think they have shelves there with seasonal stuff. A few weeks back they had racks with the pittsburgh Steelers champion sweatshirts. and I mean more than 3 racks...Kind of got annoying lol now as far as parking a cart, you can still do that along the corner/side by the walkway that heads to the pottys by the service counter, just make sure the service people don't think it's go-backs and try to return all your stuff to the shelves...And why do those people in K-mart always look so pissy all the time??
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

EddieJ1984

The Kmart is Northeast Philadelphia (on the roosevelt boulavard) still has a K-Cafe.