Malls planned but never built

Started by standa, November 10, 2008, 09:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

The following  8 malls were planned for south central Connecticut in the past thirty years, but were never built.

Cheshire
Apple Valley Mall

Hamden
Hamden Square
Hamden Court

New Haven
University Mall
New Haven Town Center
Galleria at Long Wharf

North Haven
North Haven Mall

Orange
Orange Commons Mall

momof3

What was the reason most of these failed to be built????The cost, or public opposition???
Or something else.?

Zayre88

The Marketplace au Augusta (maine) was originally supposed to be a Mall, but without anchor stores ready to come, the project ended as an unenclosed shopping center with Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Kohl's, Sam's and many others.

standa

QuoteOriginally posted by momof3
What was the reason most of these failed to be built????The cost, or public opposition???
Or something else.?

Most were opposed by people concerned about traffic and competing shopping centers.

Ameskid

Beechmont Mall, in Cincinnati, Ohio, was going to have a second story which was never built, according to deadmalls.com
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Jonah Norason

Montclair Center (Houston, TX)...would've been first regional enclosed mall (not Southdale)
Pabst Farms Town Center (Wisconsin)
The Mall at Oyster Bay (New York)
Tewksbury Mills (Tewksbury, NH)

farmingtonvalleymall

I remember back in the early to mid 90's there was planned mall to go into Plainville, CT. It was shot down after a long battle I believe. It was to go into what is now the Kohl's, Lowes, Dicks plaza.

arnoldziffel

there was a mall planned on long island.   it was to be the largest mall in ny or something like that when it was proposed.  i dont remember all the details since i was a kid when it was being talked about.   the latest info i heard was they scaled it way back to like 150 acres.  (the original proposal was much larger, included a hotel, and like a thousand condo units)   it was opposed by the environmentalists.   then about 5 years ago, they knocked down all the trees.  that's how it sits today....rotting.

Jonah Norason

QuoteOriginally posted by arnoldziffel
there was a mall planned on long island.   it was to be the largest mall in ny or something like that when it was proposed.  i dont remember all the details since i was a kid when it was being talked about.   the latest info i heard was they scaled it way back to like 150 acres.  (the original proposal was much larger, included a hotel, and like a thousand condo units)   it was opposed by the environmentalists.   then about 5 years ago, they knocked down all the trees.  that's how it sits today....rotting.

Possibly the Mall at Oyster Bay?

Here's another: The Shops at Fallen Timbers in Ohio was to be an enclosed mall.

TenPoundHammer

I found a few:

Arizona:
*Old Spanish Trail Mall, Tucson. Planned by Forest City. Would've had 5 anchors.

Connecticut:
*North Haven Mall, North Haven. Planned by General Growth. Would've had 3 anchors.

Florida:
*Kendall Town Center, Miami: Was planned by Rouse, all plans called off due to legal issues when GGP bought Rouse.

North Carolina:
*Rouse company tried to build a mall in Gastonia in 1995 but it was shot down.
*Greenbriar Mall, Greensboro. Canceled in 1970s, would've had Kroger and Woolco. Wouldn't have seen the 2000s had it been built, I'm sure.
*Winston-Salem Galleria, Winston-Salem.

wwefan101

oxford croseing oxford ma was going to be a 2 flor mall but 2  ancors backed out of the plan  stupied oxford then charltion ma was going to get one that never happend my town is do for one on tompson rd lets see what happens with that

TenPoundHammer

QuoteOriginally posted by wwefan101
 oxford croseing oxford ma was going to be a 2 flor mall but 2  ancors backed out of the plan  stupied oxford then charltion ma was going to get one that never happend my town is do for one on tompson rd lets see what happens with that

Punctuation.

Anyway, there've been canceled anchors aplenty here. I know that Lord & Taylor tried to get into Oakland Mall in Troy and Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids, but Hudson's claimed veto power in both cases.

The now almost entirely vacant Hampton Towne Centre (then Hampton Square Mall) was to have had an expansion in 1990, beyond just the addition of the tiny JCPenney wing (this JCPenney was only open two years, too). I don't know what the expansion would've comprised, though.

By the late 1990s, Maple Hill Mall in Kalamazoo was going downhill fast. Office Max and Marshalls had already taken big chunks, and a 2000 map shows Old Navy, Dunham's and a bookstore as propposed junior anchors. No doubt these plans fell through when Wards and Steketee's closed, and by 2005ish the mall was finally demolished save for Target, the former Wards (by then occupied by Hobby Lobby and Value City Furniture, now Rooms Today), Marshalls, Office Max, and a Secretary of State office between Office Max and Target.

kendra

QuoteOriginally posted by TenPoundHammer
Punctuation.

:P

Hudsons81

Bumping...

Rouse wanted to build an enclosed outlet mall, Auburn Mills, in Auburn Hills, Michigan, in the early 1990's. This version was heavily opposed and plans were abandoned, only to be picked back up by Taubman, cut down in half and become what is today Great Lakes Crossing Outlets (on the same site).

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: standa on November 10, 2008, 09:59:34 AM
Cheshire
Apple Valley Mall

Most recently W/S Development and Tanger teamed up and were going to build an Outlet Center on the site where The Apple Valley Mall was supposed to be built. Tanger backed out in December. Then in August 2015 W/S announced it was canceling the project all together.